• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Help! I'm a cliche. 5w6 sx.

W

WhoCares

So yeah I'm an intellectual in my ivory tower withdrawing from the world because I cant cope and feel axious and insecure. Fuck me how boring! If there anything the least bit interesting about this conflicted book type? :doh:

W

WALMART

Did not take you to be the type to make such a post.

I hope you are breaking through to something.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
5 is one of the more interesting types....

W

WhoCares

Did not take you to be the type to make such a post.

I hope you are breaking through to something.

Oh okay, I'll dispense with the humour and wear serious hat now...:dry: here goes....

My ennegram type seems entirely predictable even for me, whats more is that it has a high representation amoung the other type - INTJ. I had hoped I was a little less stereotypical of both the INTJ and e5 groups. In short, I'm looking for my special little snowflakiness and this just isnt it. I can't even pretend to be conflicted about my supposed type because yes, yes the descriptions matches with few if any conflicts. I just hate being so textbook. And while I can succeed at all those technical disciplines they aren't my passion at all.

My passion is creating art, I seem to have this ability to pick up a medium and find facility with it. Music, watercolour, needlework, metalworking, pastels, landscaping etc. I use my researching skills to draw out the information necessary to develop facility. My idealism finds form in my design and my perfectionism attends to the little details to bring forth something I am proud of. But at my heart is someone who seeks to design beautiful things, for the sake of beautiful things. :wubbie:

And yet I feel frustrated because I am unable to express my love of art in the language of the artist. And I always feel that just ever so slightly my creations are tainted by my desire for security, my need for caution and my fear of being known. They are never truly free to be pure expressions because the pragmatic and cautious side of me beats them into 'sensible projects'.

W

WALMART

Oh okay, I'll dispense with the humour and wear serious hat now...:dry: here goes....

My ennegram type seems entirely predictable even for me, whats more is that it has a high representation amoung the other type - INTJ. I had hoped I was a little less stereotypical of both the INTJ and e5 groups. In short, I'm looking for my special little snowflakiness and this just isnt it. I can't even pretend to be conflicted about my supposed type because yes, yes the descriptions matches with few if any conflicts. I just hate being so textbook. And while I can succeed at all those technical disciplines they aren't my passion at all.

My passion is creating art, I seem to have this ability to pick up a medium and find facility with it. Music, watercolour, needlework, metalworking, pastels, landscaping etc. I use my researching skills to draw out the information necessary to develop facility. My idealism finds form in my design and my perfectionism attends to the little details to bring forth something I am proud of. But at my heart is someone who seeks to design beautiful things, for the sake of beautiful things. :wubbie:

And yet I feel frustrated because I am unable to express my love of art in the language of the artist. And I always feel that just ever so slightly my creations are tainted by my desire for security, my need for caution and my fear of being known. They are never truly free to be pure expressions because the pragmatic and cautious side of me beats them into 'sensible projects'.

An insensible life seems pretty enjoyable.

Do you feel unappreciated?

W

WhoCares

Not really. I feel appreciated by those who understand me, there are some.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=16264]WhoCares[/MENTION] have you seen the other types? You could've been a 1/2/6, I hear they have it pretty bad. 5s are some of the most prolific artists out there--Stan Lee, Brian Eno, HR Geiger (all 5w6s btw). There's something about being able to do the thankless jobs and still have the curiosity to master them and use that as a point of power that is quite incredible.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
K, well, for a 5w6...you sure have a whoooolle lot of 4 splayed on this thread :D

It seems your w4 is feeling malcontent :coffee:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You should have the 5w6 intellectual potential combined with sx passion. It's just a matter of allocating your strengths wisely.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
K, well, for a 5w6...you sure have a whoooolle lot of 4 splayed on this thread :D

I concur, but enneagram is only tangentially related to overall personality, in my experience.

Feel free to double-check your type via the 9 integration/disintegration levels at this link (towards the bottom of the page): https://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype5

The links to the other 9 types' integration/disintegration levels can be reached via that link. If you cannot identify with the "average" levels of a type, you are probably not that type. The higher integration levels are all fairly similar. It is the way each type disintegrates that distinguishes them. Enneagram describes your coping mechanisms, the way you habitually react even if that reaction is obviously a bad choice.

If you go by superficial personality traits, I look like a 5w6. Pretty much all INTJs and INTPs have elements of the type 5 personality, with INTPs appearing to tend more toward 5w4 and INTJs more toward 5w6.

But I know I'm a type 9, because that type's average levels describe me. The rest of the 9 description is full of extra fluff from all of the ISFP and INFP type 9s out there, which had me confused for a long while. Another indication of 9 for me was that my scores on the official test were all over the place: 1, 3, 5, 8, 9 were all fairly high, with no obvious "this-wing-that" pattern: type 9s (and type 6s) often identify with several different types.

With respect to your art, the real typological question might be, "Do you strive to MASTER your art (type 5), or do you truly desire to discover yourself via self-expression (type 4)?" And don't think of this question as determining which is your more positive quality. Think of it as, "I can't help but approach my art by doing <whatever>." It's a natural reaction, not a skill or talent. This is just a sample question, though ... any of the 9 types can be artistic in their own way - it isn't just type 4s.

I'm not trying to type you at all, here, and in fact have no opinion on your real type. I'm just putting up some extra sign posts and handing you a map that helped me find my own way. I hope they help you, but even if they don't, we learn something.

W

WhoCares

And again. In english this time pls. People with your communication style are particularly difficult for me to understand. I get what you are hinting at but never your full meaning and I often take things you say in a negative sense. Maybe you mean them that way, and if so, then maybe the reasons why escapes me too.

W

WhoCares

[MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION], thanks for the food for thought. I read the type 4,5 & 6, specfically how they are in shadow or negative aspects. In the negative aspects or disintegration, Definately a type 5, and despite my 4-esque inclinations I still have more of the 6 overlays than the 4, particularly if I look at the disintegration aspects of those.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And again. In english this time pls. People with your communication style are particularly difficult for me to understand. I get what you are hinting at but never your full meaning and I often take things you say in a negative sense. Maybe you mean them that way, and if so, then maybe the reasons why escapes me too.

Just replace her coffee with alcohol. Then you will see the funny side of it.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

:thinking: I guess my silliness does not jive with your more serious style.

Ok, lemme try this again.

I agreed with you on your type - you saw my rep, I'm sure - then I read the rest of your op. And your other posts.

And...I'm a sucker for irony, so by the time I wrote that post, I was amused by the w4 screaming in your posts in this thread. All I did was share what I observed, as well as my amusement. It does not mean I think you re not 5w6, or that I'm mocking you for thinking so. We all use both wings, according to enneagram. It just seems that your 4 one is...well, right now pretty active and perhaps in need of addressing. It *might* mean that your w4 is a dominant one or even that you are a 4. But then I don't know you well enough to make that assessment, so I just tossed the observation into the pot for you to do with as you will :thinking:

Fwiw, I don't usually do passive aggressiveness or anything like that, unless I'm reacting to something and it somehow got to me which is something I try to minimise as much as I can and so far, I've had no reason to do so with you. I also do not tend to antagonise just to antagonise - I reserve this for people I know better and who are ok with me pushing their buttons as a game as they understand I would never mean any harm.

I guess it can come off that way though when I see an angle (Ne) or perspective that is in some way amusing to me - often due to irony and the way it juxtaposes the dominant pov on the topic at the time. And yes, then I tend to inject that other angle into the conversation and...well sit in the sidelines to see what people do with it. It's ingenious what people can come up with and how each one individually will take raw data like that to incorporate into their already existing pov OR completely reinterpret their pov in that way. Perhaps that is what you are picking up on? The amusement is at the process, not at the expense of the person - we all after all are growing and revising our povs all the time, including me. It would be hypocritical to hold that against someone or mock them for it.

If you do notice something, like this time, I do love that you addressed it this way so we can clear it up without any drama.

Re OP: 5w6 tend to have a deliciously dry sense of humour, often are like your own personal walking library, calm and reliable in a crisis and yes, they need time alone but it also means that they tend to be less drama, making them a safe haven for when you just want some company while being left alone - without talking.

Once they get a handle on how to pro-actively deal with that anxiety of the big bad world, and stop fighting themselves on needing time to be alone - causing resentment and fatigue, as well as emotional imbalance - without shunning their responsibilities out in the real world, they tend to be rocks and treasure troves to the few lucky people they allow in their bubble as well as successful in everything they put their powerful minds to. It is just a matter of disciplining and channeling that big brain of theirs in just the right way - enough freedom for creativity with enough discipline and enticing goals so it doesn't just run circles around them causing anxiety and feeling out of control.