First 234

Thread: ESFP 4s

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    I think many people are far too eager to stretch the bounds of what the less populous types can consist of (correlation-wise that is). Correlation data started out as saying 4 could only be INFP or INFJ, then over time this grew to include the other types already mentioned on this thread. The current correlation data available on the internet now says that basically any MBTI type can be any Enneagram type, which I largely disagree with.

Not only 4 suffers this, but 5 and 8 specifically as well. If in truth, those types are the least populous would they not also contain the least variety of MBTI types? Just as it makes sense for type 6, if the most populous, to contain the largest variety of MBTI types within it'self. In my opinion, the most uncommon types (8, 4 and 5) should only contain 2 or 3 (at most) varieties of MBTI types. Obviously this is just my opinion, but I do think it's a valid thought.
    I recently had a confirmed INFJ 8 ask me "where can I meet an ESTP 4?"

mind blown.

shit, sometimes I wonder if I'm estp 4... I'm all over the damn place and there are times where I can't take care of my damn self. Sometimes 5 feels like my disintegration point, other times 2, other times I act 1'ish.

WOOO FUCK SELF AWARENESS

*punts a soccer ball*

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

@DJArendee I've never thought of you as 4ish, but I do remember you mentioning this before. 4's are usually defined by a self awareness that is so keen that it cripples us-- that's true for myself. 4 and 8 do feel similar (intense or Sx if you will), but the only case of anyone actually mistyping between the two that I know of is @Animal. In truth though I personally don't think you are a 4.

I think what you are describing may be the common (but giant) problem of "shopping too long". It's like finding a car that fits all of your requirements and continuing to look anyway, out of curiosity or perfectionism...though for you (because of your wing) it's probably the 7 desire to try and see and experience every possible option out there. Gluttony and indecision basically. I've been doing an (art/research) project for the past couple months on Enneagram, and my 7's talked a lot about this quality. Always needing the next thing or a new thing, not ever wanting to miss out on something that might be better or more true. Do you think perhaps that's why you identify w/ 4? Or maybe it's just because you really like 4's (as you've always expressed), or have a 4 in your tritype. 874 that would make you then, yes?

Another question: is it people (like this "INFJ 8") who have strange type combinations that make you question your own typing? If so, I do think it's the 7 thing. It's like now that you've seen someone type in an obscure way, you see it as an option you haven't visited yet. Thoughts?
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

@DJArendee I've never thought of you as 4ish, but I do remember you mentioning this before. 4's are usually defined by a self awareness that is so keen that it cripples us-- that's true for myself. 4 and 8 do feel similar (intense or Sx if you will), but the only case of anyone actually mistyping between the two that I know of is @Animal.
    Yeah- I have no comment on DJ's typing .. no strong opinion on most people unless I know them well. But to clarify, my case was also because I am a trauma-survivor and my trauma-reaction seemed like type 8 disintegration. In truth, it was type 4 with a flavor of type 2 power-hunger... but I just conflated my trauma-reaction and some aspects of my upbringing & other situational stuff, with my typing.

That being said, I've read that it's common for SX 4's to mistype as 8s. But like you, I'm the only one that I know of personally.

Edit: To add to this, my first fix is 8w7, and my next fix is 7... I'm not positive of the wing but 7w8 seems the stronger contender. My mistype was not a mistake made by me alone - it was my *third* estimation of my type, and by the time I typed at 8, many other people in my internet typology community as well as real life, had been suggesting type 8. I received a lot of 7 suggestions online as well, but no one in real life would take me for a 7.

So I would assume that while some SX4's might *feel* like an 8 description when they're lusty, they'd be more likely to be like an 8 in a more 'realistic' way if they are 8 fixed, and having another id-fix with an 8 wing doesn't hurt either.
    Last edited by Animal; 12-14-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think the problem with ESFP + 4 is that the 4 type has problems with sensing & thinking (and I don't mean those in the literal sense, but the Jungian sense; sensing). You can see how poor sensing & thinking leads to developing a 4 fix to begin with.
    Hmm. I agree but I wonder why this is? Is it because 4 tends to feel ostracized from the world around them while sensing and thinking types seem to be much more grounded in reality and what makes logical sense?

ESFP e4 is not as absurd as some combos, but I'd still expect a very heavy 3 wing, and given that I do see each fix as part of a spectrum where the wings are melding together to form that particular fix, I think this makes sense.

I would look at 2 sx, 3w4, and 7 for ESFPs who seem 4ish on the surface first still. Some ESFP 8s may even be confused for 4s as people underestimate the emotionality of 8s (assuming they're all like ENTJs or something).
    I agree with all this, it's definitely less common than the other combinations you listed, especially 2 and 7 since EFP types seem to be more geared towards positive outlook. Why specifically sx 2 though and not so or sp 2? But I do think it's something that could happen in the real world. Although I'm still unsure as to how they'd differ from NFP and NFJ 4s as well as its introverted counterpart. Because like you said, sensing isnt the 4's forte so I'm interested in seeing what a real sensing-dominant 4 would be like.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

I'm Ne-dom and 4w5. It was hard for me to determine that I was really

- an "extravert"
    - a core 4
    - not deluding myself

I'm an atypical version of each, and I don't know what my Ji is. I know 4s are supposed to be NFs, but the Ti/Fi dispute is far from clear according to current research.

But that's the final word.

I used to think there were correlations, and indeed there may be. It seems that there should be certain co-occurrences in nature. But it seems premature to rule out the idea that a 4 of either wing could ever possibly be an ESFP (or anything else). I don't really have that data, and neither does anyone else.

Stansmith

This is an ISFP 4, right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

First of all, my apologies for being so late in responding to this. I "lost" the thread when it slipped to my second, inaccessible Notifications page. Took me a while to find it - no wonder, as I don't come in the Type 4 forum often!

You are so straight-forward and respectful at the same time, I forgot how much I enjoy communicating with you. I love me some people who can disagree without making it personal.
    Thank you for the compliment. Me too!

Yes, a lot of what I've read about correlation follows your "# is most correlated with A, B and F" theory, but with functions instead of MBTI letters like T, F or N. A lot of that seemed sound to me, but even those theories rule out a lot of type combinations I've seen people claim. I don't have enough understanding about Meyers Briggs to formulate the argument you are requesting, thought I do have thoughts about it.
    I would certainly be interested to hear, if at any point you get to a place where they have crystallized enough to share

I also think @OrangeAppled is definitely the person to talk to about the subject.
    Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Enneagram isn't really strategies for ego protection - the ego fixation IS the strategy for the protection of the self, but a person consciously confuses it for themself.
    I was of the understanding that this was a matter of contention between theorists, with some believing that Enneatype is a descriptor of personality based on ego protection and others believing that it is only a descriptor of how we create and perpetuate suffering via fixation, with no relation to "true" personality. But for the same reasons you explained, I have a hard time seeing Enneatype as something divorced entirely from "true" personality, hence a person would not be wholly incorrect in seeing themself in their fixation. And so the wisdom of the Enneagram would be in understanding that it is a fixation and a perspective instead of a reality and a truth.

This is because the enneagram fix we develop is supposed to be in relation to "messages" we receive about ourselves & reality during our very early, formative years. Why are certain experiences and emotions, etc, being interpreted a certain way? I can't see how it's not linked to those innate cognitive preferences.

Add to it that there is not even a clear line between cognition and emotion to begin with and it really becomes silly to suggest that Jungian type & enneagram type could form independently of each other.
    Oh, absolutely, I'm not denying that. Nothing occurs in a vaccuum, and certainly most people are going to be "normal" combinations. It is hard to judge the extent to which either is genetic or environmental, though as far as I see it MBTI probably has more of a genetic component while Enneagram is more environmental. I am certain that patterns of thinking defined by MBTI do impact Enneatype development, and Enneatype development probably also influences MBTI in return.

But at the same time, if we assume your premise is correct that certain types cannot be mutually inclusive, what are they, exactly, and why can they not exist? ISTJ e4, in the example you've given, but why? And which others, and why, exactly?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

@DJArendee I've never thought of you as 4ish, but I do remember you mentioning this before. 4's are usually defined by a self awareness that is so keen that it cripples us-- that's true for myself. 4 and 8 do feel similar (intense or Sx if you will), but the only case of anyone actually mistyping between the two that I know of is @Animal. In truth though I personally don't think you are a 4.

I think what you are describing may be the common (but giant) problem of "shopping too long". It's like finding a car that fits all of your requirements and continuing to look anyway, out of curiosity or perfectionism...though for you (because of your wing) it's probably the 7 desire to try and see and experience every possible option out there. Gluttony and indecision basically. I've been doing an (art/research) project for the past couple months on Enneagram, and my 7's talked a lot about this quality. Always needing the next thing or a new thing, not ever wanting to miss out on something that might be better or more true. Do you think perhaps that's why you identify w/ 4? Or maybe it's just because you really like 4's (as you've always expressed), or have a 4 in your tritype. 874 that would make you then, yes?

Another question: is it people (like this "INFJ 8") who have strange type combinations that make you question your own typing? If so, I do think it's the 7 thing. It's like now that you've seen someone type in an obscure way, you see it as an option you haven't visited yet. Thoughts?
    hmm... interesting. never thought about the crippling thing as 4ish. Ive always viewed that as 1ish.

I've thought about 4 being in my tritype over 3. The only thing I see applicable to 3 is my ambition. When I was rejected from being a pilot I was really sad "what will I be known for in the world?" So I had to sorta redefine what I would be known for. I think its more 4 related than 3 related though.

The 847 is the passionate, cutting edge, innovative, compassionate, freedom seeking, creative, non conformist focused on implementing and manifesting their original vision.
    sounds like me

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    This is an ISFP 4, right?

maybe, but not an sx 4. this is the epitome of ISFP 4

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    hmm... interesting. never thought about the crippling thing as 4ish. Ive always viewed that as 1ish.
    The Type 4 Overveiw (I believe an excerpt from Personality Types) pretty well describes it like this: "Fours are the most self-aware of the types, and this is the basis of what is most positive and negative about them. The constant conflict we see in Fours is between their need to be aware of themselves, so they can find themselves, and, at the same time, their need to move beyond self-awareness, so they will not be trapped in self-consciousness. The tension between self-awareness and self-transcendence can be resolved in creativity. In the creative moment, healthy Fours harness their emotions without constricting them, not only producing something beautiful but discovering who they are..."

So we have this tendency to be overly self-aware to the point of being crippled by self consciousness or self loathing.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I've thought about 4 being in my tritype over 3. The only thing I see applicable to 3 is my ambition. When I was rejected from being a pilot I was really sad "what will I be known for in the world?" So I had to sorta redefine what I would be known for. I think its more 4 related than 3 related though.
    I think you can attribute your ambition to 8 already, no need to find another source for that! Your reaction does sound 4 flavored because of your concern about identity. Interesting.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨