User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 15

  1. #1
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default Assimilating Traits from Other Enneagram Types

    There's a lot of talk about the difficulties that E9s face, but I'm not sure if I've seen much conversation about one of the cooler things with the E9 description. From https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/typenine.asp

    Quote Originally Posted by Enneagram Institute
    We have sometimes called the Nine the crown of the Enneagram because it is at the top of the symbol and because it seems to include the whole of it. Nines can have the strength of Eights, the sense of fun and adventure of Sevens, the dutifulness of Sixes, the intellectualism of Fives, the creativity of Fours, the attractiveness of Threes, the generosity of Twos, and the idealism of Ones.
    How do you relate to this part of the description?

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    576

    Default

    My girlfriend is a 9. She says things like "I can be anything you want me to be".

  3. #3
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,651

    Default

    I thought most people have at least a bit of all of them... e9s moreso? hmm...

    I definitely feel like there are many different sides to me, esp depending who I'm hanging out with.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Alea_iacta_est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    1,838

    Default

    Whoa. Are 9s social chameleons? Like when you are with friends do you feel yourself becoming more 7-ish and highly extroverted? Because if so I think I'm more 9 than I thought.

  5. #5
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I thought most people have at least a bit of all of them... e9s moreso? hmm...

    I definitely feel like there are many different sides to me, esp depending who I'm hanging out with.
    I think the difference is that 9s tend to display traits of various other Enneagram types at the price of having clearly defined characteristics of their own.

    When you hang out with friends, do you find yourself analyzing their behaviors and motivations, and then possibly incorporating them into your own personality if you find them useful or fun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Whoa. Are 9s social chameleons? Like when you are with friends do you feel yourself becoming more 7-ish and highly extroverted?
    Definitely. "Highly extroverted" is pushing it, but if I spend enough time with a 7 I'll be MORE extroverted afterward, at least for a little while. As an example, I went on a vacation with a couple of friends, one of them being a 7. I paid close attention to how the 7 planned out the trip, including their motivations behind their decisions. Understanding how their mind worked was important, and I tried to incorporate as much of that into my own thought processes as I could. The things I picked up from that trip lead to me going on my own 2 week backpacking vacation out of the country a bit later. I had never done anything like that, and there's no way I would have been able to do that without spending time with the 7.

    "Social chameleon" is a good metaphor, as it's a useful skill to keep our heads low. However, I tend to view the process more like how the Borg assimilates others. That, or maybe like Peter Pitrelli, the Empath from Heroes. I always related to the character (during the early seasons at least).

  6. #6
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I think the difference is that 9s tend to display traits of various other Enneagram types at the price of having clearly defined characteristics of their own.

    When you hang out with friends, do you find yourself analyzing their behaviors and motivations, and then possibly incorporating them into your own personality if you find them useful or fun?
    Eh... I'm not sure I'd say it's so purposeful like that for me. More just picking up vibes off of people and going with those vibes sort of thing. I wouldn't say I really analyze or think about it though, it just happens.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  7. #7
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    It's like everyone else's energy is so much more influential than anything that I want for myself so moving and shaping myself to the external surroundings is the default, the biggest problem I personally feel with it is others typically like me, because I can fit any void and do so smoothly, and yet for me it's never really me they like so connections are all superficial and based on who I can be for them.

    So yeah, I do relate to the OP quote, and not just on surface level and I love that I can be everything at once, but the way it is represented is done at my own expense, like if people see those traits in me and appreciate them they are liking the facade they choose to see.

  8. #8
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Eh... I'm not sure I'd say it's so purposeful like that for me. More just picking up vibes off of people and going with those vibes sort of thing. I wouldn't say I really analyze or think about it though, it just happens.
    Neat - I was wondering how the quote reflected in other people. The process sounds far more fluid with you than it is with me. I can't quite match the vibe of the group as easily, I have to work to get there. Do you happen to know your instinct stacking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    It's like everyone else's energy is so much more influential than anything that I want for myself so moving and shaping myself to the external surroundings is the default, the biggest problem I personally feel with it is others typically like me, because I can fit any void and do so smoothly, and yet for me it's never really me they like so connections are all superficial and based on who I can be for them.


    So yeah, I do relate to the OP quote, and not just on surface level and I love that I can be everything at once, but the way it is represented is done at my own expense, like if people see those traits in me and appreciate them they are liking the facade they choose to see.
    Indeed, and when you stick your neck out a bit and show them a bit of your "real" self, and they react negatively, it's... unpleasant.

    How does the original quote reflect in your thinking? Is it a conscious thing, or more like with Gromit, where you sense the vibe and just run with it?

  9. #9
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Indeed, and when you stick your neck out a bit and show them a bit of your "real" self, and they react negatively, it's... unpleasant.
    Mmmyup.

    How does the original quote reflect in your thinking? Is it a conscious thing, or more like with Gromit, where you sense the vibe and just run with it?
    I put a lot of effort into knowing why I do, think, feel, react how I do, I am still a 9 though so I either need a former experience that I have already considered to compare a current situation with to know my thoughts/feels on it, or I need to retreat to my own space and ponder what my stance is, which is to say as much as I focus on self awareness my instinctive reactions are 'flowy' and not at all a conscious effort to be any particular way, it just 'is'.

    Looking over the quote there are two things that stand out to me, the first is I am a strong person so I do relate to the "strength of the Eights" part and I figure that has to do with it being my wing, plus life experience that has shown me I am, the other thing is the rest are all muted versions of the type. If I'm around a fun loving 7 I would get wrapped up in their sense of fun and adventure, for me it's a sense of passion that excites me, however it takes an external thing to be in that space. If I'm in a situation where being dutiful is relevant then I will be, however it's not with the focus or dedication that a Six would show and I would slacken off easily if I 'felt' like it. I have a passion for learning and intellectualism, but the way Fives stick to it would bore the crap out of me rather quickly. I am creative but don't have the flair of a typical Four nor the confidence in my art. I can be impressive like a Three but I dislike the attention so can't maintain it. I am generous when it's convenient to me, not like a Two who would be willing to put themselves out, and I am idealistic yet don't fight for anything like a One would. So sure, I can relate to the saying, but in a muted way, to others in a moment it could look the part, but it's not consistent it's going with the vibe of the environment.

    It's just a 9 thing, people who first meet me typically see the surface of someone who is balanced and mature, there are no distinct flaws that stand out because I can be any of the above and meet people on their wavelength, being So dom means the interconnections stand out to me effortlessly so merging into an environment requires no thinking on my behalf if I like the atmosphere, however it's just not maintainable as I don't have the core motivators other types have to result on those behaviours/focuses.

  10. #10
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Looking over the quote there are two things that stand out to me, the first is I am a strong person so I do relate to the "strength of the Eights" part and I figure that has to do with it being my wing, plus life experience that has shown me I am, the other thing is the rest are all muted versions of the type. If I'm around a fun loving 7 I would get wrapped up in their sense of fun and adventure, for me it's a sense of passion that excites me, however it takes an external thing to be in that space. If I'm in a situation where being dutiful is relevant then I will be, however it's not with the focus or dedication that a Six would show and I would slacken off easily if I 'felt' like it. I have a passion for learning and intellectualism, but the way Fives stick to it would bore the crap out of me rather quickly. I am creative but don't have the flair of a typical Four nor the confidence in my art. I can be impressive like a Three but I dislike the attention so can't maintain it. I am generous when it's convenient to me, not like a Two who would be willing to put themselves out, and I am idealistic yet don't fight for anything like a One would. So sure, I can relate to the saying, but in a muted way, to others in a moment it could look the part, but it's not consistent it's going with the vibe of the environment.
    Oh, good point about the expressions being muted. I relate to much of that.

    It's just a 9 thing, people who first meet me typically see the surface of someone who is balanced and mature, there are no distinct flaws that stand out because I can be any of the above and meet people on their wavelength, being So dom means the interconnections stand out to me effortlessly so merging into an environment requires no thinking on my behalf if I like the atmosphere, however it's just not maintainable as I don't have the core motivators other types have to result on those behaviours/focuses.
    Interesting. As an SP dom, it's generally not effortless for me since behaving like other E-types usually involves me coming way out of my comfort zone, so I resort to trying to understand the mental mechanics in order to overcome the fears and match the behaviors.

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] How to Help Other Enneagram Types
    By Z Buck McFate in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-29-2014, 10:37 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 08:26 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 08:12 PM
  4. Impressions of your type from others
    By stellar renegade in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 04:52 PM
  5. [E9] Any other Enneagram type Nines out there?
    By Apollanaut in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 09:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO