• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Ask a CP6...

Starry

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

I can relate to this, fwiw. Could this be the product of a cp6 wing? I think it could. Not sure if that wing backs up Fi in a defensive way, right?

Like, your values and thoughts are YOU.

Mine are mine. But while our thoughts/values are individual, very different between what steps on our toes, right?

The reactions to them stepped toes may be CP in expression.

Whoops I forgot to respond to this and it was a meaningful post for me. I feel comforted really in so many ways to know that you related to what I said because without your input that would be hard for me to imagine you know? Or I could say it's an experience that you wouldn't imagine anyone else relating to for some reason. And yes, I believe I have a cp wing.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I respect your opinion but disagree. My mom is E1. I get you are talking about tritype.

----
Can you add your experience with similarities or differences of 1's and 6's that you see?

That is very long argument, however I think that it all comes down to anxiety vs. anger (thinking vs doing). From what you wrote I simply didn't see the anger/acting part that much.

I am aware that this sounds like BS and avodant argument but all the types have American bias in them so it is hard for me to comment them in detail. For example 8s don't want to be controlled ... but on the other hand I was born in dictatorship and grew up in war zone playing with refugees as a kid. Therefore I know that sense of control is often just illusion and person should be pragmatic when dealing with life matters. Also at the moment my city is the place where street crime basically doesn't exist and therefore I don't have to play the "urban macho survivor", but on the other hand I am immune to the stuff like religion to the degree that I never did a single prayer in my entire life. (something that most Americans can't say about themself no matter what they currently think about religion)

It is hard to say where types end and personality and culture start. :)

Starry

How do 6es handle social rejection?

Do you need to know what it feels like to be socially accepted prior to knowing what it feels like to be socially rejected? I think a lot of cps are distrustful of *society* in the first place as are many sx doms. But maybe you're talking more about peer rejection? I think a lot of cps see rejection as a fast and easy way to identify who is loyal and worthy and who is not...but [MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION] will need to give you the 6 perspective.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Could you elaborate a little more on the heart being vigilant? Being less aware of [my] heart impulses, cultivating a sense of competency in this area I think would help 6's trust themselves more. I am 4 in the heart center, so my emotions drive my consciousness a lot, but it is always filtered through my mental center of ideas and fear.

Sorry for the delay in responding!

{Disclaimer: Everything I am about to describe is the default/healthy state. In times of extreme tiredness, pressure or stress: fear WILL be present. This may turn into panic = disaster. :doh: But, most often simply breathing & taking a step back, will return the heart to ’calm mindfulness’.}

I chose the word ‘vigilant’ ^ because of all it can mean (smile).

Like…one synonym is: “on the qui vive”. From the French “Long Live Who?” A question that sentries would pose to determine where someone’s political sympathies lay?

I mention this because a sentry is alert to danger but not fearful of it. To be effective: sentries or watchmen cannot be on duty 24/7. That’s how my heart operates. It is alert to knowing that danger can occur but not in constant expectation of it…anticipating the worst. AND, it trusts that if the worst does happen - it will survive - even happily.

In this way, it is able to have time “off duty”, with no worries at all. Other times, the heart DOES “feel a surge of suspicious anxiety” like a watchmen might feel in the dark when suddenly confronted. Then, it doesn’t jump to conclusions (again, NORMALLY :p) but asks questions to determine if the threat is real? “On the qui vive”.

Vigilant can also mean to pay “hawk-like” attention. Hawks can be violent predators, but also gentle and quiet. They flap their wings rapidly to fly, then use that momentum to glide smoothly.

If need be, my heart can attack things but for the most part is in an easy-going state. It’s content to glide on different currents provided by people & the environment. While also knowing it may need to jump into action (‘flap it’s wings’) to stay airborne...providing my own momentum.

Where does the calm confidence come from?

Hawks have four different types of colour receptors. They can perceive what is visible to us, but also the UV spectrum, polarized light and magnetic fields. My heart perceives/collects data & experience in the form of emotions. Not only what is ‘visible’ but what lies underneath. Then, it uses that to navigate the world.

This helps with being: watchful but not scared.

“Checking in” when I feel emotions: poking to see if they are warranted, reasonable, logical etc?

I think being prepared but not suspicious or anxious; is likely what accounts for the occasional perception that [MENTION=7040]Forever_Jung[/MENTION] referenced in the post that led to this conversation. As “not taking problems seriously” or “not being ready for what may arise”.

á´…eparted

passages
Glad to see this post. I agree that they can look similar!

My mom is an E1 and before I had her take the test, I thought she was a phobic 6. She has always had a lot of anxiety.

Now, looking back I see where I typed her wrong and what you say about perfectionism plays into that. Also, the fact I *saw* anxiety is a clue that she probably wasn't a 6.

Something I ask in Enneagram typing (if I'm doing it myself) is: What enneagram motivation DON'T I see in the forefront of this person?

I saw her anxiety, I didn't see a lot of anger from her.

I don't know a lot about 1's but I think what they have in common with 6's is kind of a focus on control.

I see that control -of anger/extremes - in 1's perfectionism.

6's in control of - fear - in anticipating it (CP) or implementing safeguards (phobic) against it.

I have so many other anecdotal similarities I see: I won't say this is for all 1's or 6's but this is what I see between my mom and myself:

She uses hierarchal structure because it defines what is appropriate. She knows what is expected. I think she measures herself against these things internally. Whether she buys in or not, I'm not sure. BUT when she does?? She does with passion and conviction. The reformer/crusader comes into play here.

I think 1's are looking FOR something to put their "inappropriate" (self-deemed) feelings and channel that into "appropriate" outlets. Once they have the outlet, they feel free, more at peace.

(She's also ISTJ so...overlap here, I'm sure)

I use hierarchal structure to question myself and my beliefs, it's a jumping off point. Should I buy in? Should I not? How much? It's always oscillating. I'm NEVER going to buy in fully. Not like a 1 does, at least because the very nature of my motivation prevents full committment :) I'm just happy it's there.

The bold really captures it. I don't see 6's really doing that all that much. Or at least, to a level where it's at the forefront and almost required. Though I'd argue 1's have a terrible time to find a channel, but they can be found to at least manage things better.

It does seem like with 6's, a sense of perfectionism is born of a fear of uncertainty. It's sort of like fear of the fear itself. Where as with 1's it seems to be much more concerned with practical consequences.

Hard, what causes e1s to react in anger? I mean, I know exactly what you are talking about but don't fully understand the mechanism. Like, for me it's perceived injustice...people being exploited, bullied, treated like trash. What exactly is it for the 1s?

Perfectionism makes me uncomfortable because I don't feel it's possible and feel to strive for it is imperfect.

It's ironically hard to explain, because it can be explained so simply: things that are wrong. Wrong situations, wrong people, wrong opinions, wrong beliefs. It all incites a feeling of anger. There are also many different types of anger which can confuse it to the self and to others.

A lot of the anger is kinda born of a frustration, and it's surprisingly meta. I will often get angry over the fact that I can't do anything to solve it. Someone spouting wrong political beliefs for example, will usually inflame me. A lot of it is because I can't go in and say "no, you're wrong, here's is what's right, now stop being wrong and never say that BS again". If they'd listen then it woudn't be an issue. The anger can't be expressed because that causes a problem, and there can be anger over the fact that it has to b held in.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry for the delay in responding!

{Disclaimer: Everything I am about to describe is the default/healthy state. In times of extreme tiredness, pressure or stress: fear WILL be present. This may turn into panic = disaster. :doh: But, most often simply breathing & taking a step back, will return the heart to ’calm mindfulness’.}

I chose the word ‘vigilant’ ^ because of all it can mean (smile).

Like…one synonym is: “on the qui vive”. From the French “Long Live Who?” A question that sentries would pose to determine where someone’s political sympathies lay?

I mention this because a sentry is alert to danger but not fearful of it. To be effective: sentries or watchmen cannot be on duty 24/7. That’s how my heart operates. It is alert to knowing that danger can occur but not in constant expectation of it…anticipating the worst. AND, it trusts that if the worst does happen - it will survive - even happily.

In this way, it is able to have time “off duty”, with no worries at all. Other times, the heart DOES “feel a surge of suspicious anxiety” like a watchmen might feel in the dark when suddenly confronted. Then, it doesn’t jump to conclusions (again, NORMALLY :p) but asks questions to determine if the threat is real? “On the qui vive”.

Vigilant can also mean to pay “hawk-like” attention. Hawks can be violent predators, but also gentle and quiet. They flap their wings rapidly to fly, then use that momentum to glide smoothly.

If need be, my heart can attack things but for the most part is in an easy-going state. It’s content to glide on different currents provided by people & the environment. While also knowing it may need to jump into action (‘flap it’s wings’) to stay airborne...providing my own momentum.

Where does the calm confidence come from?

Hawks have four different types of colour receptors. They can perceive what is visible to us, but also the UV spectrum, polarized light and magnetic fields. My heart perceives/collects data & experience in the form of emotions. Not only what is ‘visible’ but what lies underneath. Then, it uses that to navigate the world.

This helps with being: watchful but not scared.

“Checking in” when I feel emotions: poking to see if they are warranted, reasonable, logical etc?

I think being prepared but not suspicious or anxious; is likely what accounts for the occasional perception that [MENTION=7040]Forever_Jung[/MENTION] referenced in the post that led to this conversation. As “not taking problems seriously” or “not being ready for what may arise”.
Thanks, this helps a lot! :)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The bold really captures it. I don't see 6's really doing that all that much. Or at least, to a level where it's at the forefront and almost required. Though I'd argue 1's have a terrible time to find a channel, but they can be found to at least manage things better.

It does seem like with 6's, a sense of perfectionism is born of a fear of uncertainty. It's sort of like fear of the fear itself. Where as with 1's it seems to be much more concerned with practical consequences.

It's ironically hard to explain, because it can be explained so simply: things that are wrong. Wrong situations, wrong people, wrong opinions, wrong beliefs. It all incites a feeling of anger. There are also many different types of anger which can confuse it to the self and to others.

A lot of the anger is kinda born of a frustration, and it's surprisingly meta. I will often get angry over the fact that I can't do anything to solve it. Someone spouting wrong political beliefs for example, will usually inflame me. A lot of it is because I can't go in and say "no, you're wrong, here's is what's right, now stop being wrong and never say that BS again". If they'd listen then it woudn't be an issue. The anger can't be expressed because that causes a problem, and there can be anger over the fact that it has to b held in.

I relate to that 1 stuff. I'm debating over having a 1 gut fix. But I know much less about all the other numbers than 6. 9 just doesn't fit because I don't repress my anger; I just feel like I'm overreacting all the time and expressing it will have socially inappropriate consequences. But everything wrong makes me angry. Like I could seriously write a book called "Everything that's wrong with the world and how I propose to fix it", and I'm always coming up with rants about how people should and shouldn't act. But a lot of that is Fe. Do you resonate with that and how much is 1 related you think?

Starry

This is awesome Hard - and super appreciated. It does make a ton of sense...especially the use of the word wrong I also liked the use of the word meta. That word helped a lot too for some reason...it's filling in a hole for me although I'm not quite sure yet what hole that is. In spite of meta though I hope you don't mind if I hit you up with another question... What makes something wrong? Like, earlier I was referring to a mind-map when describing this counterphobic hyper-alert state. It's like something that unfolds in front of my mind's eye showing me that "all roads lead to other people getting hurt"...and I'll sound the alarm.

From your description I almost got the sense you too had a sort of map and was just wondering what it was. Is it an efficiency map? Like, "if things operate efficiently that is the best way to insure fairness for all people?" (totally grasping for straws here but hopefully you will know what I'm trying to get at). Using your example that I thought was so good...what makes another person's political views wrong? if you can say...

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
e6s, do this one!! (Please.)

Part of why I'm curious to hear answers is that I'm curious how many different conceptions people have for the phrase "e6 testing"- I'm wondering if that very phrase brings up different things for different people.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do 6es handle social rejection?

As well as what others have said, my reaction is to think those people aren't worth being friends with. And also blame myself for being awkward or weird or dysfunctional or whatever. Not so healthy.

E6:

Tell me about "testing" what is it and why you do it

And how it is different from how others/other types might "test"

Testing for me is showing my aggressive or otherwise dark side to see if they can still accept and love me. Or, pushing with questions or actions to make them show me they are trustworthy. I'm not an expert on the other numbers yet, but I feel like the motivations and mode of expression is just different. 6s care about different things and don't trust unless it's proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. A 4 for example might feel some sense of reassurance with a different response than a 6, and might be upset because of something rooted in emotion rather than plain suspicion. They also would react to perceived possible insecurity less quickly and sharply. An 8 will test because they are always pushing out their energy, looking for something to connect with. They want others to push back. 6s just want people to put up with it and care that we are scared.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
As well as what others have said, my reaction is to think those people aren't worth being friends with. And also blame myself for being awkward or weird or dysfunctional or whatever. Not so healthy.

Testing for me is showing my aggressive or otherwise dark side to see if they can still accept and love me. Or, pushing with questions or actions to make them show me they are trustworthy. I'm not an expert on the other numbers yet, but I feel like the motivations and mode of expression is just different. 6s care about different things and don't trust unless it's proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. A 4 for example might feel some sense of reassurance with a different response than a 6, and might be upset because of something rooted in emotion rather than plain suspicion. They also would react to perceived possible insecurity less quickly and sharply. An 8 will test because they are always pushing out their energy, looking for something to connect with. They want others to push back. 6s just want people to put up with it and care that we are scared.

This is SO perceptive [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION]!

4's can push or test or 'expose the ugly' and this may even present as 'suspicion'. But, it has nothing to do with the other person, no lack of trust. It is about the 4's own past experiences or perceived inadequacies. The inability to trust THEMSELVES. Once they realize the person understands/accepts they have flaws, they are trusting and (if healthy) will not test further.

I also agree with the aspect of 4's being slower to react and more mildly. I am not saying this is 'better'! Regardless, the innocent person being tested will still suffer hurt or frustration. (ie. Is it better to be stabbed by someone easy-going and friendly, or be stabbed quickly by someone angry? Bottom line: Who wants to be stabbed!?!)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is SO perceptive [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION]!

4's can push or test or 'expose the ugly' and this may even present as 'suspicion'. But, it has nothing to do with the other person, no lack of trust. It is about the 4's own past experiences or perceived inadequacies. The inability to trust THEMSELVES. Once they realize the person understands/accepts they have flaws, they are trusting and (if healthy) will not test further.

I also agree with the aspect of 4's being slower to react and more mildly. I am not saying this is 'better'! Regardless, the innocent person being tested will still suffer hurt or frustration. (ie. Is it better to be stabbed by someone easy-going and friendly, or be stabbed quickly by someone angry? Bottom line: Who wants to be stabbed!?!)

Thanks, and that makes a lot of sense with E4s. I guess my 4 fix shows itself in what I wrote. But I can see the differences in core clearly too. Like, which do you react to first and more strongly, trust in yourself or others? Ultimately 6s are reacting to not trusting themselves, but they project this onto the external world. 4s want to trust themselves to be worthy and loveable, and 6s want to trust themselves to physically protect themselves and establish a support system. 4s I guess project onto others too, but I feel like they are more aware of their emotional reactions and the motivations behind them.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
e6s, do this one!! (Please.)

Part of why I'm curious to hear answers is that I'm curious how many different conceptions people have for the phrase "e6 testing"- I'm wondering if that very phrase brings up different things for different people.

I'm primarily phobic, so while I totally get what [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION] is describing I tend to be much lighter about testing. I want to test people, but I don't want to alienate them, and turn my abandonment paranoia into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't try to smash the ice beneath my feet through stomping up and down and shouting, but I will inconspicuously put pressure on the surface with my feet to feel for any give, or drill a tiny hole in the surface and slide a tape measure down to see how far I have to go until I hit water. Mind you, a lot of this instinctive, almost unconscious behaviour, and it sounds waaaay creepier when described consciously.

In less metaphorical terms I will make a seemingly tossed-off joke and privately gauge their reaction, or lightly prod/tease them when they are under duress. Before I am truly vulnerable with them I will often give them faux vulnerability and see how they handle that before I give them the real thing. If they mess up, I won't necessarily write them off, I will just decide they are not ready yet, and maybe give them more practice with fake vulnerability later.Aside from testing them, I also privately study their relationship with other people and extrapolate that into how they might treat me. With slow subtle tests like that, you can eventually work your way deeper into my inner circle. It took me ISTJ friend about 10 years to clear my tests, but now I would pretty much die for her.

I have an ENFP friend who will try to test people, and then when you violate her trust she pounces all over you. But when I catch people I don't attack them, I just pretend not to notice and then later I will make a note of it in their "file" (this is a metaphorical file I speak of, though I am not too far from keeping actual files on people lol). When I start to consider promoting them to higher levels of trust, I will review all the commendations, reprimands, etc. and make my decision.

I know it's not quite as surefire a method as the old "bomb everyone and see who survives the blast" test, but I don't want to throw whatever amount of loyalty they do feel to me out the window. Because even a slight or moderate amount of loyalty is useful as long as you know what you are working with. Not everyone has to be my rock, I can settle for allies. Perhaps over time our mutual trust will grow into something more.

But I think that's the phobic approach, counterphobics seem to be more like: "you are either completely loyal to me or I don't need you." While I sure would like complete loyalty from someone, I tend to have a more pragmatic view about it all. Even my mother has betrayed my trust a few times, and she's about as good as they come (as far as humans go anyway). If I can't trust her, why should I completely trust my cousins or my coworkers for that matter?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting info on phobic 6s [MENTION=7040]Forever_Jung[/MENTION]! I can relate to some of that, the structure of the building of trust, but I am more as you say all or nothing with it as well as quick to confrontation and aggression. I hadn't thought of loyalty as a gray area before- that might be a worthwhile thing to cultivate. To me the gray area has been keeping someone at arms length- and that doesn't often happen after being close. Like a magnet which will stick to another one within a certain range but outside of it has no pull.

Do you know your instinctual variant? I bet that has something to do with it too. Unless you're also sx first- in which case never mind.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have 2 questions
1) Do CP 6s tend to have disdain for P 6s? Like project their own fear of vulnerability onto them and see it as weakness?
(*I'm speaking more about the archetype than actual people, but I wonder how much it translates. I don't know of anyone in my life I do this to, mostly because I don't approve of it, but it's also true that I know more 6s of the CP variety so I tend to attract them for whatever reason.)
1a) You know that uber conservative, fundamentalist religious, hating critical thinking, worshiping authority type of person- are they likely very phobic 6 SJs? I particularly dislike that sort of person. It's a shadow part of myself I run as far away from as possible.
2) How do you all act when you are drunk? I am not a very outwardly aggressive person, contrary to what I say in my posts: but I notice that the most prominent change in myself when I get drunk is I lose my will to fight and I emphasize my Fe. I'm not very inhibited in general except for some social anxiety, but that doesn't really change.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Interesting info on phobic 6s [MENTION=7040]Forever_Jung[/MENTION]! I can relate to some of that, the structure of the building of trust, but I am more as you say all or nothing with it as well as quick to confrontation and aggression. I hadn't thought of loyalty as a gray area before- that might be a worthwhile thing to cultivate. To me the gray area has been keeping someone at arms length- and that doesn't often happen after being close. Like a magnet which will stick to another one within a certain range but outside of it has no pull.

Do you know your instinctual variant? I bet that has something to do with it too. Unless you're also sx first- in which case never mind.

I'm not sure! I have never been too into the instinctual variants, but definitely not sx first. I am pretty sure sx-first by definition are CP.

I would guess I am so or sp first. Maybe so/sx. I really don't worry about tangible/material means of survival like money/home security in the same way most sp's might. But I AM very preoccupied with people and having their support.

Then again, I might just not get what all that variant means. I have always found the single type with a wing complication enough.

I am wondering how you CP guys might approach similar situations to what I describe below...

I have picked up weird/negative/ambivalent vibes from a few of my coworkers lately and am now "monitoring the threat". These sorts of concerns almost always come to nothing (about half of the time the person had just been sleep-deprived/queasy/etc), but I just feel better when I stay on top of it. Would a counterphobic 6 bother their head about such things?

Not only do small signals like that put me on guard, but I will also approach these sorts of "threats" by doing the following:

A.) Subtly surveilling their behaviour until they revert to their usual rhythms.
B.) Lightly probing both the person in question, as well as any available people who might have some insight into what is going on in this person's life (relationship troubles, upset about work, lack of sleep/illness, etc). I need data to furnish my theories!
C.) Being extra nice and thoughtful to this person to smooth over anything that might need to be smoothed over that I am just not aware of yet. Worst case scenario, you have just cheered someone up for no reason.

How would an e6 CP handle a similar situation? Would they be more confrontational to force the issue (real or imagined) into the open?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure! I have never been too into the instinctual variants, but definitely not sx first. I am pretty sure sx-first by definition are CP.

I would guess I am so or sp first. Maybe so/sx. I really don't worry about tangible/material means of survival like money/home security in the same way most sp's might. But I AM very preoccupied with people and having their support.

Then again, I might just not get what all that variant means. I have always found the single type with a wing complication enough.

I am wondering how you CP guys might approach similar situations to what I describe below...

I have picked up weird/negative/ambivalent vibes from a few of my coworkers lately and am now "monitoring the threat". These sorts of concerns almost always come to nothing (about half of the time the person had just been sleep-deprived/queasy/etc), but I just feel better when I stay on top of it. Would a counterphobic 6 bother their head about such things?

Not only do small signals like that put me on guard, but I will also approach these sorts of "threats" by doing the following:

A.) Subtly surveilling their behaviour until they revert to their usual rhythms.
B.) Lightly probing both the person in question, as well as any available people who might have some insight into what is going on in this person's life (relationship troubles, upset about work, lack of sleep/illness, etc). I need data to furnish my theories!
C.) Being extra nice and thoughtful to this person to smooth over anything that might need to be smoothed over that I am just not aware of yet. Worst case scenario, you have just cheered someone up for no reason.

How would an e6 CP handle a similar situation? Would they be more confrontational to force the issue (real or imagined) into the open?

I don't pick up on that stuff as much as a lot of people, probably a sign of being So last. For whatever reason, this usually just bypasses my conscious mind and goes into the unconscious to fuel whatever paranoid negativity about my social life is there. I've become a lot more conscious of this and realized that a lot of negative assumptions I make about people's attitudes are incorrect. I used to just avoid talking to people if they weren't friendly most of the time, but just keep pushing myself to occasionally be friendly to them in case I can change things positively, and try to act in ways I think they will find likable. Now I just do that, but don't worry too much about whether any specific person likes me. A lot of it is unconscious though. I feel like I need to be proactive in creating harmony by confronting disharmony and transforming it, even if that is just doing my own thing and projecting harmony in my attitudes and actions.

I guess I could say I do c. a fair amount, but try to avoid being insecure about it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I could see myself doing A and B. I wouldn't do C.

When more entranced, I could see myself force the issue by testing to know where I stood if A and B didn't give me enough information.