• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7w8 sx/sp - describe?

Qre:us

What does a 7w8 sx/sp look like? Any good descriptions around?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
looks like me :D

what are your questions?

[MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION] I don't really know you :( (I read your name as pinkgiraffe at first glance, which amused me to no end)

http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/img/prods/plush-toys/753232a-giraffe-plushie-pink-lg.jpg

So, how do you think you're different than a 7w8 sp/sx or 7w8 sx/so or 7w8 so/sx or 7w8 sx/sp or 7w8 sp/so?

I'm basically wondering about the instinctual stacking/variants? How they manifest in conjunction with enneagram type?

Thanks so much.

[MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION] - that resource was really helpful, I wish they had a section on how sx/sp looks like rather than asking us to THINK and do the work of combining each individual profile of sx and sp to get a picture of what that manifests as a whole.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What does a 7w8 sx/sp look like? Any good descriptions around?

I'll provide you with some links later, but in a nutshell...

7 in general: 7s are all about experiencing pleasure and avoiding pain. they tend to have energetic personalities and fast paced minds and have no problem asserting their desires and preferences upon the world. with the exception of Social 7s, 7s tend to be very self focused personalities, focused primarily on getting what they want and avoiding what they don't. 7s also hate being controlled and will have no problem pushing back hard if they feel any attempts to do so. however, at the same time, 7s are usually pretty friendly and their playful, mischievous demeanor and thirst for adventure tend to draw people to them (though their shocking, irreverent, often sexual humor, and disregard for rules push just as many people away, particularly if the 8 wing is dominant). at their worst, 7s are narcissistic, gluttonous, entitled and extremely harsh/critical (both of themselves and others), tending towards tendencies of escapism and procrastination. at their best, 7s are lively, productive, confident, grateful and generous and.

7w8: 7w8 is the bad boy of the enneagram. the 8 wing gives them a more visceral feel, more drive, more focus, and more ability to stomach the unpleasant aspects of pursuing their goals. 7w8s are impulsive, action oriented people and are usually more thrill seeking and competitive than their 7w6 cousins. 7w8s like to play rough and often enjoy pranks or practical jokes that cause the "victim" a little bit of pain. overall, the 7w8 has an energy like a race car, zooming toward the object of it's desire.
Examples: Jack Nicholson, Joan Rivers, Steve Jobs, Scarlett O'Hara

7w6: for comparison, 7w6 is typically more imaginative, fantastical and has an energy more like a fox (7w8 typically comes off more like a wolf, hyena or chimpanzee). they typically have a slightly nervous energy about them and a more childlike charm to their personalities. being 7s, they are still core assertive types (3, 7 and 8), but the 6 wing softens 7's narcissistic tendencies (in contrast to the 8 wing, which magnifies them), adds a touch of caution and often results in a stronger tendency to second guess oneself.
Examples: Mila Kunis, Brad Pitt, Captain Jack Sparrow, Zorro

Sexual 7s: the darkest subtype of 7 and the most in touch with 7's feelings of frustration. they're also the most introverted variant, spending lots of time dreaming of far off fantasies because, generally, there is little in the real world that really stimulates them. as a result, they often mistype as 4s and will not usually relate to the bubbly, party animal stereotype that has (quite inaccurately) been attached to 7. sexual 7s typically gravitate toward vibrant, attention grabbing dress and have a keen eye and appreciation for beauty.

Self Preservation 7s: in contrast to the more gentle, sensual nature of Sexual 7s, Self Preservation 7s are cunning, ambitious and among the most ruthless types on the enneagram (in my opinion, they're basically head center 8s). Self Preservation 7s are all about advancing their position; however, unlike a 3 (and more typical social climbers in general), they are in it for the perks of the high life. they want the best clothes, the best food and the ability to surround themselves with like minded people whom share their interests and can provide entertainment. however, once the Self Preservation 7 does find people whom they connect with on a deeper level, they're very much about looking after "their own" and can exhibit a protective, fatherly demeanor (which is, once again, very similar to 8s). they tend to be very generous with such people and are usually willing to lend a hand when a friend is between a rock and a hard place.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7w6: for comparison, 7w6 is typically more imaginative, fantastical and has an energy more like a fox (7w8 typically comes off more like a wolf, hyena or chimpanzee). they typically have a slightly nervous energy about them and a more childlike charm to their personalities. being 7s, they are still core assertive types (3, 7 and 8), but the 6 wing softens 7's narcissistic tendencies (in contrast to the 8 wing, which magnifies them), adds a touch of caution and often results in a stronger tendency to second guess oneself.

Really good 7w6 description.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really good 7w6 description.

thanx =)
I felt compelled to include it because most of the 7w6 descriptions make us sound like nervous, submissive entertainers. as a result, many 7w6s are put off by them (self included) and mistype as 7w8 because they see themselves as more assertive and capable.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh dang! Just read sexual 7 too. Link please.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh dang! Just read sexual 7 too. Link please.

from Maitri
Sexual 7: Suggestibility.
Sexual Sevens tend to merge with whatever ideas, plans, or people they come into contact with. So they are easily influenced, especially by their partner or someone they are attracted to. The prospect of a relationship with someone sets off their mapping and planning, and the relationship gets projected well into the future, with infinite possibilities appearing just over the horizon. So they are suggestible in the sense of being easily swayed and impacted, as well as in the sense of being easily propelled into myriad fantasies by or about a relationship. The passion of gluttony appears here in the many attractions that Sexual Sevens tend to have and in their difficulty in forming deep, long-term contact with one person.

from Naranjo
Sexual: Suggestibility. More extraterrestrial; actually not very sexual—more poetic, more the dreamer.
The "charmed charmer." Prestidigitator. More narcissistic. Like being in love, more enthusiastic
("Tomorrow my enthusiasm might take me in another direction"), mania. Not so much into pleasures of
this world, more extraterrestrial. May not be very sexual in the literal sense.
^I think the "actually not very sexual" part is bullshit, but other than that, I think this is a good description

from Ocean Moonshine
Sexual/Self-pres
The energy of the sexual instinct is, in some ways, at odds with the type Seven fixation. The Seven’s focus is future oriented and outward, away from the inner world, while the sexual variant is instinctual and dwells on the inner self as far as relationships and identity are concerned. This combination can make for a Seven that can be Four-like in many ways. They can have a flamboyant style and be very moody and intense. In relationships, there is often a push-pull quality. They are very attracted to the falling in love part. The buzz and high of that is very stimulating to them, almost drug-like for them. Their problems come when that buzz wears off. They want to recreate it again and again, but they also have a way of becoming attached and sometimes very dependent on their romantic partners. On the down side, they can be very clingy but don’t want at the same time to lose their freedom. When unhealthy, they can be very selfish in these relationships, things become one-sided in a way that favors the interests of the Seven.

The sexual/self-pres Seven’s addictive behavior with relationships can extend to other areas, like music, and performing in general. The rock star image and lifestyle can be attractive to the sexual Seven. Many rock stars are sexual Sevens the buzz they experience from music can be similar to what they experience in relationships. Creativity can also function as a release of frustration from the boredom.

PS: another 7w6/7w8 difference I've noticed is that 7w8's energy seems to be constantly pushing toward something. 7w6s tend to alternate between driven/forward pushing and a more 9-ish, mellow energy. we typically need more down time than 7w8s

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Sexual 7s: the darkest subtype of 7 and the most in touch with 7's feelings of frustration. they're also the most introverted variant, spending lots of time dreaming of far off fantasies because, generally, there is little in the real world that really stimulates them. as a result, they often mistype as 4s and will not usually relate to the bubbly, party animal stereotype that has (quite inaccurately) been attached to 7. sexual 7s typically gravitate toward vibrant, attention grabbing dress and have a keen eye and appreciation for beauty.

Sounds just like me. ;)

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
from Maitri

from Naranjo

^I think the "actually not very sexual" part is bullshit, but other than that, I think this is a good description

from Ocean Moonshine

PS: another 7w6/7w8 difference I've noticed is that 7w8's energy seems to be constantly pushing toward something. 7w6s tend to alternate between driven/forward pushing and a more 9-ish, mellow energy. we typically need more down time than 7w8s

I always said that if I wasn't brought up in a strict / religious household, I would be singing in a band doing the WHOLE SCENE. Yikes. :happy2:

[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION], thanks for all this wonderful information. I'll ask more detailed info when I'm not typing from my cell.

One quick thing - I'm not very flamboyant, whether it be clothes, appearance or histrionic behaviour. I can be moody though, but I simmer, ticking like a bomb, and then I burst.

I am very easily influenced to try things. I am ambitious but it's not so much for material gains or recognition from others as I have this dark underbelly to my personality where I think I'm better/more capable than I perhaps really am. And the ambition is to prove that self-fulfilling prophecy. I am my own worst cut-throat competitor, if that makes sense?

I agree with the detached from reality and fantasising and with parts of the way sx/sp are in romantic relationships, but not all. I need to quote the proper sections with my comments - when I'm not on my phone.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION], thanks for all this wonderful information. I'll ask more detailed info when I'm not typing from my cell.
One quick thing - I'm not very flamboyant, whether it be clothes, appearance or histrionic behaviour. I can be moody though, but I simmer, ticking like a bomb, and then I burst.
I am very easily influenced to try things. I am ambitious but it's not so much for material gains or recognition from others as I have this dark underbelly to my personality where I think I'm better/more capable than I perhaps really am. And the ambition is to prove that self-fulfilling prophecy. I am my own worst cut-throat competitor, if that makes sense?
I agree with the detached from reality and fantasising and with parts of the way sx/sp are in romantic relationships, but not all. I need to quote the proper sections with my comments - when I'm not on my phone.
based on this, you likely have a 3w4 fix

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Of course!!!
....what does that mean? Fix?
/ennea-idiot

a "fix" is a type from your trifix (also known as your tritype). according to tritype theory (which I subscribe to, not everyone does), each person has a core type, but also two types, one from each of the other two centers, which also influence the personality.
for instance, you type as a 7. 7 is a head type, so you would also have a gut type (1, 8 or 9) and a heart type (2, 3 or 4) impacting your personality.

for example, I am a 7w6>1w9>3w4

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
a "fix" is a type from your trifix (also known as your tritype). according to tritype theory (which I subscribe to, not everyone does), each person has a core type, but also two types, one from each of the other two centers, which also influence the personality.
for instance, you type as a 7. 7 is a head type, so you would also have a gut type (1, 8 or 9) and a heart type (2, 3 or 4) impacting your personality.

for example, I am a 7w6>1w9>4w3

fixed (I'm very much a 3 wannabe, but I lack the neuroses of a type 3)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

[MENTION=5645]Qrious[/MENTION] did you figure out your wing? I was curious about this, too. I just don't ID or understand Sixes at all (I was married to one). But I can't see myself being as aggressive as an 8, either (I am judging based on what I see in my sister who is an 8). I can be aggressive but it's more likely to arise from impatience (my worst vice), so I get the bomb thing. I'm much likely to say how things are going to be and proceed to do it than approach it from a "don't try to stop me!" kind of thing.

I'm ambitious, too, but mostly for the economic power it will bring. I'm sick of being poor! ;) There's not a lot I want to buy, I simply want the power to buy it if I want to...I like hanging onto money more than I like spending it. Can you talk more about your ambition? What has it led you to or want to do right now?

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, wow. Recently, I've been seriously debating my own tri-type and wing. I thought I was a 7w6, but as [MENTION=9883]Redbone[/MENTION] says...I really don't relate to Sixes much. I wanted to think that I did because I'm imaginative and playful, more entertainer than entrepreneur. Frankly, the idea of being a 7w8 was kind of a turn-off; most descriptions of the type paint vague descriptions of assholes. To an extent.

Having said that, the fears and defense mechanisms of Eights make far more sense to me than those of Sixes. I am generally a very live-and-let-live person, tolerant and open-minded with regard to differences of lifestyle and opinion, etc., etc., until some person seems to be actively overstepping boundaries, judging or controlling or otherwise attempting to sway me in any kind of confrontational manner. And once I finally bite, I tend to bite hard.

I've also scored higher on type 8 than 6 on virtually every Enneagram test I've ever taken - but those are only tests, and it's complicated. From what I've read, my understanding is that a counter-phobic Six can resemble an Eight.

Essentially, I started questioning that I might be a 7w8 instead of a 7w6 when taking into consideration the following:
- My friends have consistently described me as an extremely intense, even intimidating person. I'm not sure if that's an 8-wing or just my dominant instinct, but all of my buddies tell me that I'm apparently far more assertive/aggressive than I thought myself to be.
- I have always been a free spirit. I sometimes go out of my way to do the opposite of what I've been told to do, especially when I disagree with the logic involved and feel perfectly capable of handling the situation on my own (it is not designed to hurt feelings, but it sends a strong message: back off, stop meddling in my business).
- I trust myself more than I trust others (but could that be a Six thing?).
- I value my independence, even in close relationships. I love the emotional, chemical, intoxicating charge that comes from the uncertain excitement of sex and "falling in love" - in fact, it pretty much owns me - but I'm not okay with vulnerability. I really like my space and am not likely to say "I love you," even if I feel it.

I think it's possible that I have an 8-fix, which would confuse my feelings about this even more. On top of all of that, I think I need to square with the fact that I probably have some type 3 influences swimming around in my head as well. I'm such a contradiction. I'm an introvert - I used to suffer from social anxiety! Now that I'm better, I no longer fear people or crowds or going after what I want, but I'm still perfectly content to do my own thing as long as I'm enjoying myself. People aren't necessary, but they can be fun...if they happen to be going where I want to go, and they're up for the adventure (and we're not doing the small talk thing, small talk is useless). Essentially, I'm surprised that I relate so well to a triple-assertive tri-fix.

Anyway, if anyone has insight on my case, I'd welcome it. I haven't read everything there is to read about Sixes and Eights, so I'm sure I could learn something. The only things I'm sure of at this point are that I'm a core 7 and an Sx-dom.

Oh, yeah, [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] - I definitely agree that sexual Sevens "not actually being that sexual" is complete bullshit. I think Sx-dom Sevens are probably one of the the most sexual types in the whole Enneagram, maybe the most.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13973]AntiheroComplex[/MENTION]
social anxiety is very much antithetical to triple Id 7w8. a triple Id 7w8 would be much more callous and have a more opportunistic outlook with regards to social interaction (many people mistyped at 7w8/8w7 will disagree with me, but that's fine). despite being a head type, 7w8s don't experience much in the way of anxiety and are not naturally inclined to care about how they are perceived unless it is useful for them to be taken well (for instance, if they're selling you something)

based on what I've seen of you on the forum, you seem 7w6>1w9>3w4/4w3 Sx/Sp (shit, you're really similar to me LOL). you seem more self contained and upright to be triple Id

remember that all 7s are assertive types, so they're going to value their freedom and independence and are more than willing to assert their needs and preferences.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13973]AntiheroComplex[/MENTION]
social anxiety is very much antithetical to triple Id 7w8. a triple Id 7w8 would be much more callous and have a more opportunistic outlook with regards to social interaction (many people mistyped at 7w8/8w7 will disagree with me, but that's fine). despite being a head type, 7w8s don't experience much in the way of anxiety and are not naturally inclined to care about how they are perceived unless it is useful for them to be taken well (for instance, if they're selling you something)

based on what I've seen of you on the forum, you seem 7w6>1w9>3w4/4w3 Sx/Sp (shit, you're really similar to me LOL). you seem more self contained and upright to be triple Id

remember that all 7s are assertive types, so they're going to value their freedom and independence and are more than willing to assert their needs and preferences.

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, again...if it's worth anything at all, I might underscore the fact that I used to suffer from social anxiety. Used to. There are many things I do now that I never could have done years ago, like aggressively chase a job/promotion when opportunity presents itself, grind with strangers on a dance floor, and boldly tell my romantic prospects where they stand with me (even if they've given no hints of their own at all).

I still like the idea that I'm 7>4>1 or 7>1>4, though, because something has to account for those introverted dreamer qualities. Maybe even 7>1>3, something... I'm definitely social-last, and I feel like even reticent 7>3>8 types would know how to work the living shit out of a room. That's a pretty good point.

So maybe my intensity, as read by my friends, is my natural excitability working in combination with the sexual instinct. I can't seem to share anything I'm excited about, good or bad, without going off the deep end...which no doubt seems rather tangent-like to my more laid-back buds.

It's interesting to hear how I come off on here! I do write with a more restrained, mellowed demeanor than I generally express in person, that's for sure; I kind of use my professional voice in the forum, which might hint that I have traces of type 1 floatin' around in here. I used to relate to that type when I was enduring a mental breakdown/first learned of the Enneagram, but not much since.

Thanks for shedding some light on the 7w6 vs. 7w8 issue. Based on your perspective, I'd probably be a 7w6.