ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I'm uncertain of my own tritype.

4w5 for sure.

Can't decide between 6w7, 7w6, and 7w8.

And completely lost on my gut type: 8w9, 9w8, 9w1, 1w9, 1w2...?

So it's between:
    4-6-8/4-8-6
    4-6-9/4-9-6
    4-6-1/4-1-6
    4-7-8/4-8-7
    4-7-9/4-9-7
    4-7-1/4-1-7

I've been told I'm very mellow. I've also been told I'm uptight. I'm sweet, but can certainly be aggressive when I need to be. I'm not sure if there's a part of me that's an 8 or a part of me that's an annoyed 1. I also have bouts of extreme laziness and teeter between that with extreme motivation. I tend to fight for what I think is fair, and I've been told I have issues with authority. Which I don't necessarily think is the case, so much as I don't like to be wrong, and take a lot of pride in the things I do. So when an authority figure gets on to me for something, I tend to become a bit fiesty.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i don't know where else to say this but reading through the tritypes and maybe i'm not 729. i don't feel like i care about conflict that much really. it really doesn't bother me like it sounds like they're saying it does. i do try to help others resolve their conflict but not because conflict bothers me.
    I'd probably place you in the 7-4w3/3w4-9 spectrum
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Stansmith

Most of the differences can be explained by the functions, really. Many NFJ 4 artists for example present themselves as "givers", seeking to relate their work with the experiences of others or a general communion of man directly (or at least claiming to), while FP 4s will often take a more self-indulgent stance on their work by default, at least when they're asked to 'explain' themselves. Many (if not, most) NFJ 4 artists, of course, are self-indulgent, but they seem more likely to take the former stance than 4s that use Fi are.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    Most of the differences can be explained by the functions, really.
    This is a good point but also, Naranjo claims the differences between 4's according to their stacking, is the most dramatic and differentiated in the whole enneagram. Meaning, an SX 4 is a very different animal than a SO 4 or a SP 4, at least from the outside or their presentation and self-image. When you cut down to the core they're still all 4s, but they will potentially seem drastically different from each other.

Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

@Animal, this is so good. Thank you, haha I even took notes.

@IndyAnnaJoan - The best and most fail safe way to discern your tritype is to actually examine your test scores (which show how high your scored in each type. You would just need to see which is your top scoring head type, and top scoring gut type. Integration and disintegration do complicate this though, for healthy 4's I believe it requires a good deal of introspection, examining of motives, and description reading to know if a high 1 score indicates gut fix, or is just a product of health. I was able to tell for myself because I only exhibit 1-ish traits in health while I've had 8-ish tendencies across the spectrum.

Re your confusion between 1 and 8: while I see your dilemma, they are actually quite different. I'd first look at your test scores, and if your score closely between the two this article on misidentification between 1 and 8 might be helpful!
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

brainheart

Well, I'm an INFP 4 and in that way I think it makes me sort of a 'typical' four. Also, sexual fours are often described as the 'most four' four, so my instinct kind of reinforces my four-ness.

However, I think 4w5-5w6-9w1 is probably my best fit as far as tritype goes. With that comes a tendency to interiorize my intensity. I think it can make me look more sp/sx than sx/sp which confused me for a long while, because I'm pretty contained. I related so much to the obsessive/addictive/angry envy/need for a charge aspect of being a sexual four but people would say I didn't 'seem' sx/sp. So I tried on the sp/sx but it just seemed wrong, I'm really not that neurotic about self pres stuff, while I'm very neurotic about sexual issues. And I'm like an exploding atomic bomb internally. Internally I am extremely emotionally volatile. I am also bipolar, but I'm one of those bipolar people that no one would ever suspect of being bipolar, because everything is focused inward (unless I'm at my absolute worst, then watch out). I think to most people I seem easy-going, cerebral, and quietly dramatic. If they were to read my poetry they might change their mind.

@Animal, my one criticism of Naranjo's pov regarding fours being drastically different, instinct wise, is that most of us aren't purely one instinct. You can look at the instincts in a vacuum, but that doesn't mean people are going to look obviously that way. Some people the presentation of the dominant instinct is blatantly obvious. Others, less so. I'd say I'm definitely a sexual/self pres mix.

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    This is a good point but also, Naranjo claims the differences between 4's according to their stacking, is the most dramatic and differentiated in the whole enneagram. Meaning, an SX 4 is a very different animal than a SO 4 or a SP 4, at least from the outside or their presentation and self-image. When you cut down to the core they're still all 4s, but they will potentially seem drastically different from each other.

True. There also seems to be a significant divide based on head-fix, although it's not always obvious.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

4w5-9w1-7w6 sx-so over here.

I'd say my most obvious traits to the outside world at first glance are probably either my sx-dom being inquisitive about you or my 9w1 so-aux approach to navigate larger groups, depending on how comfortable I am. Once you get me talking about what is important to me though...4w5 is probably going to smack you in the face. I tend to keep that part of me for myself for the most part though, obsessively researching and introspecting with the exception of joining in on analysis threads over here. If you see me on occasion going completely crazy in a trickster type way...that'd be my 7.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    4w5-9w1-7w6 sx-so over here.

I'd say my most obvious traits to the outside world at first glance are probably either my sx-dom being inquisitive about you or my 9w1 so-aux approach to navigate larger groups, depending on how comfortable I am. Once you get me talking about what is important to me though...4w5 is probably going to smack you in the face. I tend to keep that part of me for myself for the most part though, obsessively researching and introspecting with the exception of joining in on analysis threads over here. If you see me on occasion going completely crazy in a trickster type way...that'd be my 7.
    I like a lot of what Amar says here and I can relate to how it breaks down as well.

I am 4w5 - 7w6/9w1 SX/SP so clearly there is a reason for the relating going on here.

I know a lot of people on here think I am mistyped on being 4w5 and I get why they think that given my overarching forum flavor. It's just something way closer to who I am and more private... like Amar says on keeping that part for her. It's definitely something that touches deep on the Fi+Ne part of me and is used for personal expression and exploration. More than one person on here has gotten smacked in the face with my w5 need to know ALL the things and preferably NAO. Being SX dom also brings in my curiosity about other people and wanting to understand them and get to know them and see what makes them tick in a wide variety of angles and ideas.

I think the 7w6 in me is the playfulness that I bring out in large groups to entertain and have fun and be positive and weird around. It's my safe place to be outside of myself since the 4w5 side of me is nowhere near as well-received and therefore isn't as efficient to use with other people.

The 9w1 in me... I don't entirely understand this part of me other than I like finding common ground with people and between people who don't know each other. And thanks to @Udog, I know that my love affair with venn diagrams begins here.

I think the SX-domness is one of my stronger features that intensifies whatever e-face I am showing at a given time.

brainheart

Interestingly, I think naranjo's descriptions would correspond in this way for tritype- sort of, I didn't give it tons of thought. (I'd love to get others' opinions):

459: sp/so or so/sp
    451: sp/sx
    458: sx/sp
    469: so/sp (maybe so/sx)
    461: sp/sx
    468: sx
    479: so
    471: sx/sp or sx/so?
    478: sx

This doesn't mean that I think that people of this tritype are this instinct and vice versa, just that this is the sort of 'flavor' the tritype descriptions seem to give that correspond with the sort of 'flavor' Naranjo's descriptions seem to give. It would explain why when I listen to Naranjo I begin to wonder if I have a social instinct in there somewhere (despite the fact that I have little to no interest in belonging, etc.) because of my tendency toward passivity.

I think in these descriptions Naranjo explains the motivations of the instincts better. When I read this, the sx/sp corresponds with my way of being:

Enneagram Four

Self-Preservation: Tenacious. Different from other Fours (who are very oral in their drive to get something good from the outside). More self-sacrificing, more self-contained. A denial of envy, trouble finding envy in themselves, partly because of the descriptions in vogue when the Enneagram first became known. So afraid of dependency, of being hurt, they become counterdependent, autonomous. Self-demanding ("No matter what it may cost..."). Instead of demanding from the outside world, they demand from themselves. Self-devouring; they can turn on themselves with cruelty—"I'll make myself do it!" Van Gogh is an example. His painting became a kind of religion and he chose a life of great poverty "for his art." He sold one painting in his lifetime, yet recently the Sunflower sold for $54 million. (Gauguin was an Eight.) This subtype doesn't play the victim; volunteers as martyr without exhibiting it, more of a nobleness.

Sexual: Competition (Hate). Competitive anger ("I want that, too!"). Where the Social Four makes comparisons and feels "little," the Sexual Four experiences envy in the sense of denying their inferiority
    ("I should have it. It's unfair that I don't!") An arrogant position, a covering up a little bit like the Two covering up their Four connection; e.g., Baudelaire's mother remarried when he was eight years old and
    he made such a fuss about being replaced by a stepfather that he ended up being put out on the streets. His position was always demanding and arrogant. He transformed the feeling of misunderstood genius
    into art in his poetry. Angry envy. The word "envy" in Latin has to do with vision, with seeing, with the "evil eye," wanting something bad to happen to the enemy. "Borderline 3 Personality" describes the
    sense of what we'd call a Sexual Four. Very intensely desiring. You want something so much you push until you are rejected. You have so much desire to be accepted you act invasively. The fantasy that you
    would be rejected leads to the very behavior that gets you rejected.

Social: Shame. Social Fours develop mechanisms for calling negative attention to themselves. The shyest of the Four subtypes. There's a shame about desiring, about "loving." Proust is filled with the
    Social envy of the person dazzled by the "aristocracy," who has a passion for being "in", who wants to be included, to receive their favors. A feeling of "I'm nothing," "I'm ugly," "I'm silly." Fours in general want to absorb through their gaze, but this is especially true for the Social Four.
    From http://www.breakoutofthebox.com/NaranjoSubtypes.pdf