• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Any christian 4's out there?

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a 4, I love Jesus and I think it makes perfect sense. Here's why:
- I have a personal relationship with Christ, not with an institution.
- As someone already pointed out, it is counter cultural in the present day West to believe in God at all.
- Jesus was such an awesome rebel! Even if you are just considering him as a historical figure, the guy was a revolutionary. He openly loved people that his culture hated, and ignored: prostitutes, the diseased, the poor and marginalized-- even criminals! The Jewish religious officials even hated him and constantly tried to trip him up but he only ever answered them with truth and kindness.
- God created me (and you) brushstroke by brushstroke to be unlike anyone on the planet in the history of the world. He created such a magnificent tapestry of a universe, I cannot even look around me at nature or other humans without noting the intricate detail that my God has woven into being. The God I believe in is a highly creative being.

:)
There's so much more, but I digress.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ This is key, I think.

I have seen so many threads, on this forum, claiming that such-and-such MBTI or Enneagram type would not be religious because of the institutions being either oppressive, illogical, or something else along those lines. But religious beliefs=/=institutional loyalty. And being "Christian", "Muslim", etc., doesn't mean "blindly adhering to such-and-such institution and following it like a sheep".

any type can be christian, any type can be atheist, any type can be agnostic, any type can be anything

[/end thread]
^ This. Rock on, prpl. \m/

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
As someone already pointed out, it is counter cultural in the present day West to believe in God at all.

Ironically, I hear that alot, in a comparatively heavily religious area of one of the most heavily religious wealthy western countries (USA). Where are you from that this is genuinely considered a part of counterculture, if I may inquire?

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ironically, I hear that alot, in a comparatively heavily religious area of one of the most heavily religious wealthy western countries (USA). Where are you from that this is genuinely considered a part of counterculture, if I may inquire?

Absolutely, thanks for asking! :)

Yes, the US is heavily religious. I am not. Religiosity is following a set of rules to earn salvation, redemption, reward, etc. My faith is in a Savior who removed the cost of salvation by sacrificing his own life for me, thus removing my need to earn anything. I follow Christ out of love, gratitude and admiration for the captivating God who made, saved and accepts me wherever I'm at, no matter what. I have never known another love like that!

I'm from Chicago and as a young adult the vast majority of my peers either:
A. sneer at the notion of any one faith or deity (especially the Judeo-Christian God), and tend to believe in a vague spirituality, karma or living as their own god.
B. blindly and legalistically follow a faith for tradition's sake not actually valuing or owning it at all, or desperately trying to earn their way into an angry god's graces. This is the religiosity you were referring to.

I subscribe to neither A or B, both common approaches to spirituality in my culture.

Is where you are in the US different?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
B. blindly and legalistically follow a faith ?

My experience has been that people do what's outlined here, but out of a place of desire to have a genuine relationship to God. I would argue that most people here find that what is written in the bible is to be taken at face value- that no context is needed, and that the closer one adheres to literal scripture, the closer they will ultimately find themselves to God.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A. sneer at the notion of any one faith or deity (especially the Judeo-Christian God), and tend to believe in a vague spirituality, karma or living as their own god.
B. blindly and legalistically follow a faith for tradition's sake not actually valuing or owning it at all, or desperately trying to earn their way into an angry god's graces. This is the religiosity you were referring to.

I subscribe to neither A or B, both common approaches to spirituality in my culture.

I would agree with this, although I hesitate to question the sincerity or critical thinking of the A Group of people, or at least, the same review should be done of those in the former camp (B Group). I'm from California, just FYI.

As for the former, I don't consider it "blind" so much as being based on family & cultural tradition and making/keeping social ties in their community. Their church is more like a community center where they forge emotional bonds with other people through shared worship. I won't sneer at that or belittle its value to others.

I do notice most of these people have not read the entire bible (or whatever holy book they claim to base their beliefs on), usually only a few commonly known verses. It's less about understanding, uh, "metaphysical" aspects of reality than having the social/community ties + some adoption of moral concepts to guide them & perhaps a little prayer & ceremony thrown in for something of a relationship with their God.

Does this aspect appeal to me? Not to so much. I do belong to an organized religion, but have often felt "on the fringe", not due to core beliefs, but my reason for being there. I've found more of a niche when I started doing more volunteer work that involves a lot of spiritual mentoring of other people, because this felt like less of a social routine than actually relating and growing through discussion of beliefs and feelings and cultivating a more Christ-like mindset & lifestyle. There are also efforts to transcend national/cultural boundaries in practice & beliefs, whereas IMO, many other churches are nationalistic & too entrenched in cultural tradition to be any kind of vehicle for truth about the nature of the universe for me.

The latter (B), however, is extremely common in my age group, especially those who share non spiritual interests (ie. arty, intellectual types). I see blind adoption of atheism or vague, new agey "feel good" beliefs. There's some underlying idea that intelligent people are not religious or theist. That's only for the backwards, uncultured, nationalistic, conservative, [insert another degrading stereotype] American. From my perspective, such people are "sheep" as well (although don't get me started on the distortion of that metaphor; a sheep is a beautiful thing)...following cultural trends to fit an image perhaps, but not humbly searching for truth. These people also have very little knowledge of what most ancient holy books say, or they take it out of historical context & interpret it very literally (ie. those who criticize the God of the Old Testament as "cruel"). I don't find them to be the independent critical thinkers they'd like to believe they are. I don't sneer at them any more than the other group though, because I understand the disillusionment with religion; I think much of it is corrupt, but I don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I just see a parallel with these two groups...

Anyhow, the idea of picking and choosing beliefs to what suits one's existing feelings seems, well, insincere to me. It seems self-serving, a way to justify anything. People who say stuff like "my heart guides me" are not people I relate to. It reminds me of Cartman from South Park: "I don't care; I do what I want!". Were I to have that mindset, I'd be blinded by my own desires and conforming to my animal side, so I see my religion as freeing me from this, as well as from the cultural values which shift like sand & have little to do with spiritual truth. It's not a matter of conforming to religion, but being set free from one's own inner distortions, the pressures of the world to be power/money/sex driven, and myths about human nature & the spiritual dynamics in the world. I built faith in ancient holy books because I put aside cultural values and perceived the actual messages about the nature of the soul, what death is, who or what is "God", etc. What perceived made sense to me, the same way one can observe some system in nature and finally understand the end results (I'm thinking like water cycles or movement of planets). It's as if you have an answer to a math problem, and then you're asked to choose from several formulas which is the one that produced that answer. Well, I settled on my beliefs after studying and seeing an inner congruency within the framework as well as how it aligns with existing reality. It "made sense", it did not make me "feel good", although applying principles from these insights improve my happiness.

Anyhow, I don't like to discuss my religion, faith or spiritual beliefs much online, because it's quite vulnerable to me, but I thought I'd chime in on this one. So, no, I don't want to answer any questions, should anyone have any.

Mole

Permabanned
- As someone already pointed out, it is counter cultural in the present day West to believe in God at all.
- Jesus was such an awesome rebel! Even if you are just considering him as a historical figure, the guy was a revolutionary. He openly loved people that his culture hated, and ignored: prostitutes, the diseased, the poor and marginalized-- even criminals! The Jewish religious officials even hated him and constantly tried to trip him up but he only ever answered them with truth and kindness.
- God created me (and you) brushstroke by brushstroke to be unlike anyone on the planet in the history of the world. He created such a magnificent tapestry of a universe, I cannot even look around me at nature or other humans without noting the intricate detail that my God has woven into being. The God I believe in is a highly creative being.

:)
There's so much more, but I digress.

The New Testament testifies that Jesus said not a word against institutional slavery although he was surrounded by it. And silence is complicity.

And the Origin of Species, confirmed by genetics, tells us that life was not designed.

And physics also tells us that the physical universe is also not designed.

Of course it looks as though life is designed. And it looks as though the physical universe is designed. Just as it looks as though the personal interpretation of mbti gives us the truth about ourselves.

Just as it looks as though the Sun goes round the Earth, but we know this is an illusion, just like the design of life and the universe.

And Jesus was not a man of the Enlightenment values of evidence and reason , freedom and equality of the 17th and 18th centuries. Jesus, like everyone around him in the 1st century, took institutional slavery for granted as the natural order and the will of God.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

WOW! This is such a great post, and a great perspective from a 4! Beautiful.

Especially the bolded, I've considered many times over (being unaffiliated myself). This is even more true when I combine it with the perspectives I've acquired from world traveling. So many places still exist where human rights are minimal and the underclass (read: the "99%") is more or less objectified. So many people are utterly disregarded as human beings. I've seen many ugly things by the spoiled elite--running people down for sport, maid abuse, torture "for fun", I can't go on or I'll just start brooding. I suspect this was much like it was in Palestine 2000 years ago. Most people in industrialized countries with human rights and egalitarian notions don't realize this aspect of "the real world", and how radical Jesus really was in promoting equality and standing up to the powers-that-be.

When I consider Jesus as a historical figure, set against this backdrop, it just makes the guy all the more awesome in my estimation. Very few people have the sort of courage and commitment to act as he did. Whatever you believe regarding the historical and biblical figure, it is unsurprising to me that he acquired such a following.

I am happy that you have found meaning in Christianity.

I once lived in the midwestern US, and it was much the same--believers vs atheists. Or the "vague" spirituality you mention. There wasn't much room for intelligent 3rd perspectives, and I ran afoul of both my step-father (B category believer) and a friend of mine (staunch over-literal atheist) for precisely the same way of thinking. LOL, America.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The New Testament testifies that Jesus said not a word against institutional slavery although he was surrounded by it. And silence is complicity.

And the Origin of Species, confirmed by genetics, tells us that life was not designed.

And physics also tells us that the physical universe is also not designed.

Of course it looks as though life is designed. And it looks as though the physical universe is designed. Just as it looks as though the personal interpretation of mbti gives us the truth about ourselves.

Just as it looks as though the Sun goes round the Earth, but we know this is an illusion, just like the design of life and the universe.

And Jesus was not a man of the Enlightenment values of evidence and reason , freedom and equality of the 17th and 18th centuries. Jesus, like everyone around him in the 1st century, took institutional slavery for granted as the natural order and the will of God.

Hey Mole, I respect your right to believe all of that! That however doesn't change my stance, because frankly none of it matters to me. I actually respect God more because he is literally incomprehensible. I will never fully understand him or figure out his ways, but that's what keeps me fascinated!

Also, when you say that "we" know the design of life and the universe is an illusion, you are making a grand generalization. Many on this thread alone have acknowledged that they in fact do not agree with that theory. One you are obviously welcome to believe in, but a theory none the less. No theory about the construction or origin of the universe is even close to complete, much less acknowledged as fact by the world at large.

The slavery issue is one you may be interested in talking to a biblical scholar about (of which, I am not)-- if you are truly interested in seeing all sides and finding truth, that is. It's a very good question that I have read many differing opinions on and still don't quite have an answer. There are a good many things I don't know, but I've made a large effort to meet those issues head on when I decide how to live my life.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

WOW! This is such a great post, and a great perspective from a 4! Beautiful.

Especially the bolded, I've considered many times over (being unaffiliated myself). This is even more true when I combine it with the perspectives I've acquired from world traveling. So many places still exist where human rights are minimal and the underclass (read: the "99%") is more or less objectified. So many people are utterly disregarded as human beings. I've seen many ugly things by the spoiled elite--running people down for sport, maid abuse, torture "for fun", I can't go on or I'll just start brooding. I suspect this was much like it was in Palestine 2000 years ago. Most people in industrialized countries with human rights and egalitarian notions don't realize this aspect of "the real world", and how radical Jesus really was in promoting equality and standing up to the powers-that-be.

When I consider Jesus as a historical figure, set against this backdrop, it just makes the guy all the more awesome in my estimation. Very few people have the sort of courage and commitment to act as he did. Whatever you believe regarding the historical and biblical figure, it is unsurprising to me that he acquired such a following.

I am happy that you have found meaning in Christianity.

I once lived in the midwestern US, and it was much the same--believers vs atheists. Or the "vague" spirituality you mention. There wasn't much room for intelligent 3rd perspectives, and I ran afoul of both my step-father (B category believer) and a friend of mine (staunch over-literal atheist) for precisely the same way of thinking. LOL, America.

Thanks for sharing your perspective from experiencing those kinds of cultures, I'm sure that really would bring so much context to understanding scripture! I've always wanted to travel to the Middle East, and I believe I'll be going on a serving project to Africa (either Zambia or South Africa) this summer. It's heartbreaking and infuriating to see the way so much of the world lives, but I do believe some of us must see it so that the truth of those conditions can spread, and change can happen. You seem like you totally get that though. :)

Yeah, Jesus was a pretty rad dude. It bothers me so much when people paint him as that docile, sheet-wearing guy with a perm in the painting at your Grandmother's house. :dry: He loved people well in the face of death and ridicule, and firmly but peacefully defended the little man, the outcast and the shamed. I also love the time he flipped some tables in the temple out of righteous anger at the disrespectful dealings happening there. I mean, not to mention all of the healing, miracles and such.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Moved some off-topic posts to the usual spot. This isn't really the place for discussing the validity of Christianity. :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I might be....Not sure if I'm a 4 or a 9.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not a 4, that I know of; I might have a "wing 4" [if my other wing is a 3, can I fly?] but I do believe that Jesus is who and what he said he is.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
The reason I asked this, is because most of the 4's I encounter have seemingly ditched christianity as a rebellious move. They give god the finger so they can delve into despair. I've seen it so many times. It makes me feel like these E4 ex-christians would actually return to christianity, they just need a push.

Then again I haven't hung out in church fellowship long enough to notice otherwise.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What if I was never a Christian to begin with so there's no rebellion involved?

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What if I was never a Christian to begin with so there's no rebellion involved?

Well then you're good to go! Go you! :D ;)
edit: I feel like I disregarded the nature of this post, I appologize. I just got really passionate and kind of vomited a super happy response. :laugh:

But really, some of the most full of depth and curious Christians I've met have been fellow 4's. There's this desire to dig way deeper into the connection between man and God that I think a 4 could be curious about. For myself, it's lead me to find understanding in who I am and it allows me to consistantly search deeper and deeper into myself, others and God. I think many people just view it as a shallow rule following group of people, and I think that's what it can be when it's not used in the way it was intended. Christianity is suppose to be relational and not institutional, that's kind of why we believe Jesus died on the cross, to cover our sins so that that relationship can be open between God and humanity.
For myself, that is extremly huge!
I was kind of half and half with being raised with the belief. My father is a straight up Athiest man and my mother is a Christian (don't ask how that was growing up, yeesh). I remember going to church and hating Christians. I hated them because these so called "Christians" were the ones who caused me more pain than anyone else. I'd get forced to go to church and I'd get picked on or ignored by the other "Christian" students because I wasn't outgoing enough, I wasn't cool enough and I sure as heck didn't buy into the same harsh judgments they did. It hurt a lot. I wanted nothing to do with them. And this was a consistant issue too; I moved 13 times and have gone to 23 different churches in my life and it has all been the same crap. There were only two churches in all the churches I went to that brought me in and took a sincere interest in me. I fully understand why people hate Christians. All I can say is that it's a good thing I was way more interested in a relationship with God and not with some of his rude followers AND I'm also glad that some of his "followers" do not make up who God actually is. It's difficult sometimes, but to truly find the heart of who God is, is very important in this relationship. Not everyone is interested in commiting themselves to that, even within the Christian circle. There's a huge difference in just believing and actually following after Christ. It's hard, but that is why it's worth it for me in the end. It makes me believe that God isn't some shallow being, but that he wants ME and he wants me to want HIM despite myself. There is nothing that I can do that will turn his face from me. Nothing. And that is why I choose to trust him, because when everyone else was pushing me down and degrading me, he's been the only one lifting me up and making me see who I really am and what I'm worth. There is so much more to it than meets the eye.

Ok, I'm done now. :blush:

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The reason I asked this, is because most of the 4's I encounter have seemingly ditched christianity as a rebellious move. They give god the finger so they can delve into despair. I've seen it so many times. It makes me feel like these E4 ex-christians would actually return to christianity, they just need a push.

Then again I haven't hung out in church fellowship long enough to notice otherwise.

I would never buck the system just to buck the system. I walked away from God when I was 18 because I was just so full of pain and bitterness at the world and bought into temporary fulfillment in other things. I think it was also a little because I felt abandoned, I didn't realize God was just growing me (painful as it was). I returned to my faith at 20 because of the unsatisfying train wreck that those two years of cheap and temporary thrills were. I didn't leave my faith as a rebellion against authority (that sounds way more e6 to me), I left because I was genuinely disillusioned and needed to experience that the alternative was like "chasing the wind" as Soloman puts it.

Whatever 4's you are encountering (if they are 4's, still sounds 6-ish to me) no amount of push will change their perspective. We need to crash, burn and see the truth ourselves-- that's where the redemption theme of 4 comes in. IMHO anyway.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I was raised Catholic, but I always felt uncomfortable with the fact that I was "baptized" against my will. I never blindly believed in God. I would seriously try to, though. I prayed, and tried to communicate with "God", and never got a reply, obviously. I never saw ANY reason to believe in him or the stories from the Bible.

My rejection of the religion was finalized when I refused to have my first communion. Since then I've pretty much just been agnostic, while dabbling in other things.

I still like the ideals that Jesus taught though, compassion and such. I just don't like "Christians".

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I might be....Not sure if I'm a 4 or a 9.

Wow, I can't even imagine that mistype but I suppose I'm on the more volatile end of 4. Have you read the 4/9 misidentification article at the Enneagram Institute site? It may be helpful to you, but I think you have to register (it's free) to read the whole thing. If you'd rather not, I'd be glad to PM the text to you.