• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] Why is there so much bullshit out there about enneagram 8's? (Rant)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
idunno.

you might not agree with me on socionics, but it says that the base function (equivalent to mbti dominant function) is so confident, that we do it without realizing it, and we are not afraid to use it negatively, in order to attain positive results. (socionics labels this as Se- or Se+) So, this is why I'm able to tell someone, "you need to quit being such a fucking pussy, get off your ass and do something about it" and then suddenly they actually get up and do it.

my enfj friend is scared of telling me his objective Fe observations of me because he's scared i'll take offense. so instead of telling me, he just manipulates me into matching his expectations without my permission. we ran into some difficulty with this and talked about it. He also doesn't like it when I shout at him, and tells me he is perfectly capable of motivating himself into action, I just need to present my observations of his deficiencies plainly.

and the ne types just mind fuck you? we hold up our twenty mirrors with various reflections until you can no longer think straight or remember what you were looking for? ha just kidding no really tho i don't guess i see what your theory is or how people actually intend to use them on others in an overbearing way...to learn something. i think we just act naturally....

W

WALMART

would be cool to meet another Se 8 on here. Gets lonely being the only person who likes to talk about explosions and fire all the time, haha.

8's are self forgetting. so are 9's. so are 1's. They respond differently. 8's respond by overcompensating and becoming loud and obnoxious. 9's sorta fade to zero, and 1's organize the environment and go ocd or something. Not sure, I'd have to find that article again.

That sounds fair, and that's about what I've correlated also - 8's are more into personal competency, 1's are more into environmental competency, and 9's are in the balance of the two. Maybe I'm short changing 9's. If you find the article sometime, let me know.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think there's a tendency to view types 4, 5, and 8 as limited membership clubs. You have to jump through hoops to prove you can sit at the cool kids' table.

I tried sitting with the 5s but they weren't having any of it. They were right ... I'm really not a core 5. But that doesn't change the fact that people who adopt those labels have to fight harder to prove their point than someone who just says "Oh, I'm a 9, herp derp flurp."

I sit at the 9 table for dinner most nights. They use a lot of ketchup and don't apologize for it.

B

brainheart

Why do people want to be eights? Aren't they usually portrayed as egocentric power hungry assholes? (Not saying they are, mind you, just how they're portrayed.)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Why do people want to be eights? Aren't they usually portrayed as egocentric power hungry assholes? (Not saying they are, mind you, just how they're portrayed.)

No, hungry period. For power, for sex, for food, for being right all the time.....

B

brainheart

No, hungry period. For power, for sex, for food, for being right all the time.....

Okay, why would someone want to be that?

But I'm a type that people supposedly want to be, too, cause it's fun being a self absorbed hypersensitive emotional wreck. Oh no wait, I mean a deeply romantic poetic artist.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That sounds fair, and that's about what I've correlated also - 8's are more into personal competency, 1's are more into environmental competency, and 9's are in the balance of the two. Maybe I'm short changing 9's. If you find the article sometime, let me know.
competency triaders (1, 3 and 5) are into personal competency. it is 8s that are more concerned with "environmental competency" (which I'm assuming is a nice way of saying control :tongue: )

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

But I'm a type that people supposedly want to be, too, cause it's fun being a self absorbed hypersensitive emotional wreck. Oh no wait, I mean a deeply romantic poetic artist.

Yeah I thought the same...why the hell would anyone want be a 4?!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I would imagine because they get shit done. Make things happen. Don't take no for an answer and kick any ass that gets in the way. I mean at unhealthy levels they can gravitate to megalomania and sociopathic tendencies but everyone has their quirks, right?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7

in my experience, the 3's are the ones who want to be eights, because eights are respected and adored for being their dirty disgusting selves. 6's sometimes get jealous just because I don't fear what they fear.

Jealousy is an epidemic in my life. I say I want to be an astronaut when I grow up, the 6's laugh and say I'm a fool for trying, and the 3's try to stop me from succeeding because deep down they actually believe I can do it. People would be far less jealous if they knew what my real problems were.

I'm oblivious to myself to the point that I get manipulated all the time. My ENFJ 3 "friend" tells me girls are into me when he knows they aren't, so that I'll go on a suicide mission across the room and fail so he can feel better about himself. I talk about how hot someone is, he gets angry because he's "in a relationship" and doesn't want to hear it.

unrelated: I wonder if that's a good enough reason to drop out of a relationship?

W

WALMART

competency triaders (1, 3 and 5) are into personal competency. it is 8s that are more concerned with "environmental competency" (which I'm assuming is a nice way of saying control :tongue: )

I suppose I meant ones are more into establishing systems that will ensure competence - be their goals fairness, dominance, etc. Ones will probably note "the flaws of the system" before "the flaws of the individual."

For Eights:

Key motivations, according to Enneagram Institute: Want to be self-reliant, to prove their strength and resist weakness, to be important in their world, to dominate the environment, and to stay in control of their situation.

Competence, according to Google: Having the necessary ability, knowledge, or skill to do something successfully.

I would say over half of those traits have competence at their core, versus the five, who content themselves with only the "knowing" part of the equation. For eights, perhaps it does grow contingent on itself, that because it is driven towards competence it is self-assured that it is competent. But I don't buy into the inherent "control" aspect eights are known for any more than another type can become.

Bunch_of_krogan,_various_armors.png

A race of eights, strong and individualistic.

Though I am curious, if 1, 3, and 5 have been labeled the competency triad, what are the other two groups labeled in this system?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I suppose I meant ones are more into establishing systems that will ensure competence - be their goals fairness, dominance, etc. Ones will probably note "the flaws of the system" before "the flaws of the individual."

For Eights:

Key motivations, according to Enneagram Institute: Want to be self-reliant, to prove their strength and resist weakness, to be important in their world, to dominate the environment, and to stay in control of their situation.

Competence, according to Google: Having the necessary ability, knowledge, or skill to do something successfully.

I would say over half of those traits have competence at their core, versus the five, who content themselves with only the "knowing" part of the equation. For eights, perhaps it does grow contingent on itself, that because it is driven towards competence it is self-assured that it is competent. But I don't buy into the inherent "control" aspect eights are known for any more than another type can become.

Bunch_of_krogan,_various_armors.png

A race of eights, strong and individualistic.

Though I am curious, if 1, 3, and 5 have been labeled the competency triad, what are the other two groups labeled in this system?

yus! buncha stupid yet simultaneously technologically good enough ESTP 8's who don't know why they're so aggressive, they just are. haha. Although wrex was voiced by jon goodman or whatever his name is, who I think is ESFP. But the same stands. ESFP's are aggressive deeche too.

Matter of fact, grunt is prototypical SLE 8. "I must... fight... its the bloodrage... I'm going crazy in here. I gotta get out of here and do something, its tearing me up inside!"

B

brainheart

I would imagine because they get shit done. Make things happen. Don't take no for an answer and kick any ass that gets in the way. I mean at unhealthy levels they can gravitate to megalomania and sociopathic tendencies but everyone has their quirks, right?

Ah, ok. That just doesn't appeal to me, at all. What types does that appeal to- I mean besides other assertive types?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION], do you think all or most Se dominants are aggressive? Do you think most 8's are?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the OP is typed correctly. Most certainly Se-dom, who are not unlikely to be 8s. Jung's Se description sounds quite 8ish (his Te is more 1ish).
I think there's been a swinging of the scales the other way where people are over-typing 6 online when they used to under-type it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Ah, ok. That just doesn't appeal to me, at all. What types does that appeal to- I mean besides other assertive types?

Of course it doesn't appeal to you but let's take an 8 man and say a 2 woman. That could be a match made in heaven.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Of course it doesn't appeal to you but let's take an 8 man and say a 2 woman. That could be a match made in heaven.
Who would be good with an 8 woman?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
do 4's often not dig eights? is it their disintegration point? does it often work like that? i think one's might often rub me wrong whn they're being all one like but...i can be that way occasionally i think when i'm all stressed out and i don't like it. is that what it's about? not liking the parts of yourself that you dislike the most?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I've dated 2's. ENFJ 2's are fucking fantastic.

my absolute favorite type to date.