• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] Why is there so much bullshit out there about enneagram 8's? (Rant)

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
It does make sense and I can kind of relate...but if someone types you as 6 it does not mean he's telling you, you're less, than you are. Personality theories are not here to build up your self confidence, or to find some self esteem.. They are here to show you some of your characteristics. But I don't believe you as a type 8 is better than you as a type 6 as much as I don't believe someone who is an N is better, than someone who is an S, even though a lot of intuitive types built up their feelings of elity just based on this single letter. Saying I am 8, because I am better than 6 sounds like a terrible misunderstanding of the purpose of enneagram system.

No. and the first time someone told me I was a 6, I considered it very heavily. I pondered, "hmm, maybe they're right!"

so I thoght about it for a week or so. Then decided it wasn't me.

I wasn't offended.

It wasn't' until I have 8 or so people telling me I'm a 6 simultaneously at all times over a 6 month period, then visiting all of my posts and trolling constantly, PM'ing the mods and reporting everything I say for the most miniscule and stupid shit, that I started to get angry.

I suppose "enneagram 6" turned into a bad word. At this point I blame the structure of personalitycafe. it encourages xenophobia and a lot of forums are incredibly hostile. I had my own reasons for getting angry with other types.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
This whole bit seems rather circular. You need external validation for your identity but you know your identity so well that you always know when others are wrong, and it bothers you so much because there is validation you're not receiving...why is it that you need to put something (a true identity) into your void if it's already there? If you already know who you are, why are you so desperate for others to see it? Is it not enough for you to see it? I don't know what type this corresponds to, but what I see really prominently is a need to be seen. That could be consistent with knowing who you are, but it seems like in that case it would be more about mutually seeing, seeing other people while they are seeing you- having a connection, rather than focusing on yourself.

Personally I think you also are struggling to accept the dark sides of yourself; you are psychologically embracing it but there is still resistance, and so you need acceptance from others of your dark side so you can reassure yourself completely that you are ok.

/INFJ unsolicited psychoanalysis

My body does whatever the hell it wants, and my brain is always playing catch up. "Wait, why did I do that? hold on a second what was that for?" lol.

it makes absolutely no fucking sense.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Tyranny does not empower people.

what? that doesn't make sense. How am I a tyrant?

I suppose if you didn't like me you could call me a tyrant.

Those who love me call me a leader.

Such is life.

W

WALMART

Have you tried on Ne 3?

I don't think you're an Enneagram 6, for the record.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah Idunno. I don't think manipulation and abstract mind games are very cool but ENFP's and ENTP's seem to do it to people all the time out of "experimentation." (Ne)

nothin cool about manipulation for sure but i don't guess i see what you're seeing enough to get it.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah I kind of enjoy the thrill of this thread...
Brenda-Meeks-Scared-Popcorn-Gif-In-Scary-Movie.gif

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah Idunno. I don't think manipulation and abstract mind games are very cool but ENFP's and ENTP's seem to do it to people all the time out of "experimentation." (Ne)

you're right about the experimentation, but not the mind games (those are more of a Ti or Ni thing. NFPs don't typically enjoy them)

S

Stansmith

[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]

Finally, I will say that I think that you've done such a piss-poor job of typing yourself that I don't even believe that you are actually and ESTP. I ,on the other hand, believe you to be an ENTP. After all, you tend to post a lot of threads about theoretical things. Also, you tend to post thread after thread, about some new pattern you are seeing, and your theories are often times very weird and far out there. This is not Se dude, this is Ne.

He takes chance occurrences (Se) and comes to extreme, narrow conclusions (low-Ni) based on them. Plenty of SPs 'theorize'. It's no different from saying "women do this" or "everyone from that neighborhood does that". Not Ne.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
nothin cool about manipulation for sure but i don't guess i see what you're seeing enough to get it.

there's a theory I'm not expressing that I've been tossing around. its where we use our dominant function in a way that is overbearing on others. particularly extroverts because they interact with others. its how we learn. All of us are capable of it. my ENFJ friend used to throw money and quarters at poor people, for example. We all experiment with our top function, rebel against it, etc. Its how we learn.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
none of that is cool at all. you should actually be embarrassed for yourself imo.

what are you trying to prove? and why? who values these things?

i do not see 8's that way at all. i don't see mean spirited "monsters" hell bent on proving their dominance over everyone. i see strength and protectiveness. someone compelled to carry the burdens of others to spare them. someone with a tough exterior that has that soft lil 2 soul child within.

i'm sure some are cooler than others tho.

Yeah, I agree with this. FWIW, I've always thought of DJ as a really counterphobic 6w7. Particularly, one who is disintegrating to 3. Hopefully he won't get too riled up as I'm saying this since he apparently hates 3s (which I don't get - any person has the chance of being either totally awesome or a complete idiot regardless of type) but it adds up. I don't have the link but I still remember his thread about sx/so types being in the God Realm and seeing that as an indicator of many people being "below" his level. And then there's what he said in what you quoted - the arrogance of 6 --> 3 - aka "I am so good at Se, that I use it to fuck with people for kicks." And then in his "Fi users and not apologizing thread" I remember him talking about how he threw this girl's phone at the wall and broke it because she kept unplugging his and playing her own music. Also I remember him bragging about yelling at a pregnant lady for some reason? I forgot why he said he did, but I think most people, not even 8s, would take pride in that. It seems more like he's building an image of power out of his counterphobia. And I think most 8s wouldn't need this image externally affirmed or even brag about it in the first place. Most 8s here actually seem fairly calm-minded as far as I'm aware of ([MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION], [MENTION=9602]YWIR[/MENTION], [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION]). Oh, and there's also something he said about just immediately cutting people out of his life if he thinks they're going to hurt him or abandon him something along those lines. That seems like a clear counterphobic 6 response to me, facing your fears of being without support by taking direct action.

Oh, and I think he edited this out of one of his posts but I remember he said something about only feeling alive when he's moving and when he's not he feels like his identity just went poof.

Sixes who are more counterphobic are much more likely to question, or even rebel against authorities. They are quicker to confront others and are more prone to suspiciousness than phobic Sixes. They are more determined to be independent and resist turning to others for support. In this respect, counterphobic Sixes can resemble Eights. They try to repress their anxiety through action, and in the average Levels, can react strongly and defensively if questioned. They want to know where others stand and may aggressively provoke a response from them to find out. Counterphobic Sixes are fearful that others will try to trick them or take advantage of them. When conflicts arise, they can be highly confrontational and even belligerent. Nevertheless, beneath their bluster, they are just as fearful and anxious as phobic Sixes, but their actions are a reaction to the anxiety rather than a direct expression of it.

Two wrongs don't make a right mister. :nono:

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Have you tried on Ne 3?

I don't think you're an Enneagram 6, for the record.

yes I've tried it all. I've been doing this for 6 years. This isn't about me anymore. my type is set. I've been interacting with others for a long time now. Sometimes I get depressed and drift into this aimless state of confusion, but my type is set. I have to remind myself on a mental level, but on an intuitive level this is it. here i am.

I'd ask the other 8's on this forum to express their opinions on this thread but they don't actually know the answers themselves. they'll only tell you what they read, unless they actually are good at introspection.

W

WALMART

yes I've tried it all. I've been doing this for 6 years.

Yeah. Well, you'll always know my opinion :)

I'd ask the other 8's on this forum to express their opinions on the matter but they don't actually know the answers themselves. they'll only tell you what they read, unless they actually are good at introspection.

In college, a professor spontaneously administered an Enneagram test one morning. I scored as an 8, having absolutely no knowledge of what Enneagram was or what they were even looking for. I have a strong suspicion I'm more 8 than 9; I look into it with about equal fervor in relation to myself, and yeah - there is a lot of bullshit about 8's out there.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I agree with this. FWIW, I've always thought of DJ as a really counterphobic 6w7. Particularly, one who is disintegrating to 3. Hopefully he won't get too riled up as I'm saying this since he apparently hates 3s (which I don't get - any person has the chance of being either totally awesome or a complete idiot regardless of type) but it adds up. I don't have the link but I still remember his thread about sx/so types being in the God Realm and seeing that as an indicator of many people being "below" his level. And then there's what he said in what you quoted - the arrogance of 6 --> 3 - aka "I am so good at Se, that I use it to fuck with people for kicks." And then in his "Fi users and not apologizing thread" I remember him talking about how he threw this girl's phone at the wall and broke it because she kept unplugging his and playing her own music. Also I remember him bragging about yelling at a pregnant lady for some reason? I forgot why he said he did, but I think most people, not even 8s, would take pride in that. It seems more like he's building an image of power out of his counterphobia. And I think most 8s wouldn't need this image externally affirmed or even brag about it in the first place. Most 8s here actually seem fairly calm-minded as far as I'm aware of ([MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION], [MENTION=9602]YWIR[/MENTION], [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION]). Oh, and there's also something he said about just immediately cutting people out of his life if he thinks they're going to hurt him or abandon him something along those lines. That seems like a clear counterphobic 6 response to me, facing your fears of being without support by taking direct action.

Oh, and I think he edited this out of one of his posts but I remember he said something about only feeling alive when he's moving and when he's not he feels like his identity just went poof.

Two wrongs don't make a right mister. :nono:

right yeah i remember that stuff too.. it's like the difference between the lil chihuahua viciously growling at all the other dogs vs the big ol mastiff who feels no need to do so. he just walks around calmly completely secure in his ability to handle shit.

just to clarify that's not meant to be insulting. that's just like the visual understanding thing going on in my head. not saying this about dj specifically.

just how i personally see cp 6 sometimes in conflict.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]

He takes chance occurrences (Se) and comes to extreme, narrow conclusions (low-Ni) based on them. Plenty of SPs 'theorize'. It's no different from saying "women do this" or "everyone from that neighborhood does that". Not Ne.

those chance occurrences are actually Ti, but yes. I am as confident in my decisions as the theoretical probability of success, and when I choose to gamble on the decision, I go all the way. Gotta commit to your decisions if you want to increase the odds of success. Could have something to do with Se... Se is mostly just objective sensation. I'm not sure if its responsible for making decisions and judgements.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
there's a theory I'm not expressing that I've been tossing around. its where we use our dominant function in a way that is overbearing on others. particularly extroverts because they interact with others. its how we learn. All of us are capable of it. my ENFJ friend used to throw money and quarters at poor people, for example. We all experiment with our top function, rebel against it, etc. Its how we learn.

so you think we do this intentionally?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Yeah. Well, you'll always know my opinion :)

In college, a professor spontaneously administered an Enneagram test one morning. I scored as an 8, having absolutely no knowledge of what Enneagram was or what they were even looking for. I have a strong suspicion I'm more 8 than 9; I look into it with about equal fervor in relation to myself, and yeah - there is a lot of bullshit about 8's out there.

would be cool to meet another Se 8 on here. Gets lonely being the only person who likes to talk about explosions and fire all the time, haha.

8's are self forgetting. so are 9's. so are 1's. They respond differently. 8's respond by overcompensating and becoming loud and obnoxious. 9's sorta fade to zero, and 1's organize the environment and go ocd or something. Not sure, I'd have to find that article again.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. and the first time someone told me I was a 6, I considered it very heavily. I pondered, "hmm, maybe they're right!"

so I thoght about it for a week or so. Then decided it wasn't me.

I wasn't offended.

It wasn't' until I have 8 or so people telling me I'm a 6 simultaneously at all times over a 6 month period, then visiting all of my posts and trolling constantly, PM'ing the mods and reporting everything I say for the most miniscule and stupid shit, that I started to get angry.

I suppose "enneagram 6" turned into a bad word. At this point I blame the structure of personalitycafe. it encourages xenophobia and a lot of forums are incredibly hostile. I had my own reasons for getting angry with other types.
FWIW I thought I was experiencing the same thing when I mistyped as an INTP. I actually did receive some harrassment and typism in the course of trying to rationally discuss the matter. But in the end I reevaluated the way I was thinking about things and learned a lot more, and found out some people were right. Many people had some really bad arguments, but their conclusions were right. So my point is that even if people have bad arguments about you being 6, and have negative motivations for their arguments, they may still be correct in their conclusions. I'm sure you do know yourself, but a week is hardly sufficient time to consider alternatives. It took me like 2 years. Just saying, you may have more to learn. I for one have no opinion on your type.
My body does whatever the hell it wants, and my brain is always playing catch up. "Wait, why did I do that? hold on a second what was that for?" lol.

it makes absolutely no fucking sense.
Sounds like Se-Ti. But pay attention to your Fe and Ni too- ask yourself what your psychological motivations behind this thread are. The need to not be seen incorrectly ---> the need to be seen correctly --> the need to be seen. Ask if you truly see yourself, and if this is not enough for you why.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
so you think we do this intentionally?

idunno.

you might not agree with me on socionics, but it says that the base function (equivalent to mbti dominant function) is so confident, that we do it without realizing it, and we are not afraid to use it negatively, in order to attain positive results. (socionics labels this as Se- or Se+) So, this is why I'm able to tell someone, "you need to quit being such a fucking pussy, get off your ass and do something about it" and then suddenly they actually get up and do it.

my enfj friend is scared of telling me his objective Fe observations of me because he's scared i'll take offense. so instead of telling me, he just manipulates me into matching his expectations without my permission. we ran into some difficulty with this and talked about it. He also doesn't like it when I shout at him, and tells me he is perfectly capable of motivating himself into action, I just need to present my observations of his deficiencies plainly.