User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    A real 8 wouldn't give a shit about any of this ^^.
    Exactly. Thank you Ceecee. So look DJ Arendee, even a real 8 is saying that you are mis-typed.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Interdasting..

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Well, @DJ Arendee, to be honest, I feel your pain.

I am aware of what's happened to you in the past, but I will reserve judgement on your core type at this point (though, to be fair, the others are raising a very fair point--why is this bothering you so much?).

Still, judgments are reserved. Why? Because I went through more or less the same thing--there are websites out there where literally everyone is convinced I'm a 6w7/9w8/4w3. I'm not "allowed" being a core 4 with an 8-fix--the things that make me identify with both 4 and 8 somehow prove I'm a 6. My withdrawn attitudes/lack of an ability to care about petty online disputes means I have a 9-fix. My identity issues mean I'm an indecisive twat. My Burger King crown means I'm ruler of the world. Right.

So yeah, I feel your pain, and for that reason I will refrain from commenting on your core type at this point in time.

I think you do raise a good question, and I'd like to comment on it. Why is there such resistance to people being 8s or 8-fixed? As alluded to, I've witnessed this (on several websites actually). I've noticed the resistance mainly comes from non-8s and non-8-fixers, for whatever reason. It is based on words written (often carelessly) in posts, rather than from private one-to-one IRL interaction (which is a far more natural mode of interaction--and probably more accurate for typing purposes--than written posts, which are prone to, among other things, error in interpretation).

Yes, there is a contingent out there utterly convinced that nearly everyone is a 6 who "just can't admit it". There are several websites that are notorious for this, and I'm sorry to say that I was embroiled in this at one point, myself. I was brainwashed and once thought the same--I now have the perspective to see the truth. And I think you're onto something.

And yes, there are truly obnoxious people who will bully you over this point. I've heard this complaint from more than one person. (**Note that I do not consider anyone commenting on this thread to be guilty of this.**) Frankly, it is my experience that certain communities have some sort of vested interest in people being certain types, and some--not ALL--individuals make it their personal mission to force you to be a Type X (which, obviously, is generally not type 8).

I furthermore have found that 8s are often portrayed as monsters who came into this world, hard, brutal, and unfeeling, dripping blood from fangs and whose sole lesson in life is to cease being a monster and become a human being (like how other types "already" are). Even 8-fixers are supposed to show absolute invulnerability and NEVER back down or change their minds (speaking as a human being and withdrawn type, this is NOT always true).

I had trouble seeing myself as an 8-fixer for awhile after joining an online community, because of the rarified levels of unyielding inhumanity and barbarism which are supposed to be inherent in average 8s. I am not God, nor do I think I am. Therefore, I cannot possibly be an 8-fixer, and nearly everyone agreed.

And yes, there are self-proclaimed experts out there who may or may not understand the literature they espouse and will use their interpretations against you in a very high-handed manner.

My suggestion to you, DJ, is to read up on the major works (Naranjo, Helen Palmer, Riso and Hudson, and Maitri are all considered reliable mainstream sources). I mean really read up on the enneagram--the entire enneagram, not just type 8. This is the only way you will be able to take these people on and argue your points. Beat them at their own game.

The thing NOT to do is go on rants clearly designed to create drama. That will not serve your purposes and, indeed, has already weakened your arguments. Your viewpoint will simply not be respected if you simply react against the nay-sayers all the time with little to back up your claims. If you want to do justice--and I certainly want you to because I see much truth in your words--then know your Advanced Enneagram shit and direct it at the appropriate parties.

I wish you good luck, sir.
    Last edited by Sanjuro; 11-10-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    *Need enneagram questionnaire?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post2218641
    Likes Entropic liked this post

I think there's a tendency to view types 4, 5, and 8 as limited membership clubs. You have to jump through hoops to prove you can sit at the cool kids' table.

I tried sitting with the 5s but they weren't having any of it. They were right ... I'm really not a core 5. But that doesn't change the fact that people who adopt those labels have to fight harder to prove their point than someone who just says "Oh, I'm a 9, herp derp flurp."

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I think you do raise a good question, and I'd like to comment on it. Why is there such resistance to people being 8s or 8-fixed? As alluded to, I've witnessed this (on several websites actually). I've noticed the resistance mainly comes from non-8s and non-8-fixers
    as I said to DJ, the type of the accuser (or, more accurately, the "suggester") is irrelevant. with any type, there will be big giveaways that a person is mistyped. some common traits that give away someone not being an 8 are if they're conflict avoidant (9 fixer) or extremely moralistic (1 fixer). there will be a few exceptions to this obviously (for example, my mom is a 2w1 with an 8w7 fix, and she's pretty fuckin moralistic LOL), but it's often blatantly clear someone is mistyped and I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing it to their attention.

personally, I call out people of all types if I think they're mistyped (at the moment, I'm actually conversing with someone mistyped as a 6 and explaining to him why he is an obvious 1 XD). one PerC, I'm far more notorious for overtyping 2s and telling 7s that they're mistyped (like, when people say they're really self forgetting and constantly focused on other people. that's 2/9/p6) than I am witch hunting mistyped 6s

as it pertains to 8s, the main problem is twofold
    1) most 8 descriptions are absolutely dreadful and don't capture what it is actually about at all.
    2) most 6 descriptions are terrible and make most 6s sound like Sp/So ISFJs with a 9 fix.

it is based on words written (often carelessly) in posts, rather than from private one-to-one IRL interaction (which is a far more natural mode of interaction--and probably more accurate for typing purposes--than written posts, which are prone to, among other things, error in interpretation).
    this is a good point, but, at the same time, people's personalities come across online more than they think, and it's the "careless" comments that are often the most revealing about a person (of course, I'm not suggesting people go all conspiracy theorist/crazy detective with it and project all manner of intentions onto a comment with multiple valid interpretations. that's just stupid)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Stansmith

He seems like an 8 to me, unless he's bluffing about his alpha male/assertive characteristics. He's about as defensive and reactive as Tony Soprano.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    I think there's a tendency to view types 4, 5, and 8 as limited membership clubs. You have to jump through hoops to prove you can sit at the cool kids' table.
    Better start jumping! (But srsly. I get people all the time feeling like a great injustice has occurred because I'm an ENFP type 8.. Regardless of the fact the two systems are separate ones. Other ENFP type 8s on the forum too? NOPE. NOPE.)

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    as it pertains to 8s, the main problem is twofold
    1) most 8 descriptions are absolutely dreadful and don't capture what it is actually about at all.
    2) most 6 descriptions are terrible and make most 6s sound like Sp/So ISFJs with a 9 fix.
    Really and truly this is accurate. One of two things always happen: 1. The type 8 description sounds exactly what what people think they want to be, instead of highlighting the balance in the type. It has some great merits, and not very common ones in society.. it is easy to see a type 8 as being a sort of advantage in daily life to those that really admire the description while conveniently ignoring all of the garbage that comes with that description. And 2. The type 8 sounds like this awful, possessive, OCD, power-hungry villain.. Which may also attract people to it for their own reasons.

Type 6 always sounds like garbage though. We really need some great sales people to sell type 6's their own type. Even they don't want to write about it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    He seems like an 8 to me.
    No offense but you can't even type yourself man, you have no business here.

Srs no offense man.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Really and truly this is accurate. One of two things always happen: 1. The type 8 description sounds exactly what what people think they want to be, instead of highlighting the balance in the type.
    It has some great merits, and not very common ones in society.. it is easy to see a type 8 as being a sort of advantage in daily life to those that really admire the description while conveniently ignoring all of the garbage that comes with that description.
    ^this is why I mistyped at 8 (many 1s, 3s, cp6s and 7s could easily relate to their 8 description). I was all like "I crave independence and like to protect the weak, so I must be an 8". even the Wisdom of the Enneagram description reinforced this notion, but it wasn't until I dived into material covering the neuroses of the types that I discovered there was no way in hell I was an 8.

And 2. The type 8 sounds like this awful, possessive, OCD, power-hungry villain.. Which may also attract people to it for their own reasons.
    this is more appealing than the first one (especially to a 6 or 7 lol). either way, the instinctual nature, impulsivity and Darwinistic outlook of 8 are typically either ignored or poorly explained (for example, there is a lot of talk about 8s and revenge, but it's different from the vengeance of other types because it is ego vengeance. every type can be harmed and want retribution, the difference is, with 8s, vengeance is a world outlook as much as a situational compulsion. they feel like the world has already wronged them/screwed them over and project this vengeance in various ways).

Type 6 always sounds like garbage though. We really need some great sales people to sell type 6's their own type. Even they don't want to write about it.
    we should hire Chuck Norris or 50 Cent for that
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Stansmith

I can't say there's anything overwhelmingly positive about being a phobic 6 besides staying out of trouble and being generally pleasant to be around. I'm satisfied with it nonetheless.