• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] The Wisdom of the Enneagram Seven

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It is a sort of shield for "The Forgetting". It is the tool that it uses in order to convince us that we should remain inert and keep following a course without any sort of reasoning, or critical analysis. You could say that it is the voice of "The Forgetting". It is the whisper telling you "Everything will be fine, just keep moving. Don't look, just keep moving. Do you see what you could have, run after it." It means all of this without ever showing you how, because it makes you believe that you already know. It forces you to forget, and provides you a sense of "Knowing" without reasoning.

Self-review: "The Forgetting" is when you forget life lessons and forget your problems, right?

Starry

Self-review: "The Forgetting" is when you forget life lessons and forget your problems, right?

The Forgetting refers to the moment positive outlook kicks back in causing you to forget the painful feelings which were alerting you to an emotional wound that needs healing...or even a more practical life problem that we abandon...refusing to address/solve...once positive outlook presents us with a new unrealistic dream to chase down. It is our path of least resistance. We will abandon the hard work of cleaning-up ourselves, our lives...and/or our messes as soon as "The Knowing" reminds us that all will be fine if we just keep moving forward. We don't need to work through the pain because we *absolutely know* something wonderful from the external/spiritual world will step-in and save us. If we just hold-on and keep our chin up and believe and keep moving forward...a happy thing will happen very soon. We just know it will.

[MENTION=23180]corpseparty[/MENTION] your words were difficult for me to read which is what made me understand how profoundly real they were/are. The Knowing has emotionally supported me my whole life. I literally get tears in my eyes thinking of this and I'm not necessarily talking about sadness here. I'm in many ways in the Knowing's debt but need to get it to function properly.

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Forgetting refers to the moment positive outlook kicks back in causing you to forget the painful feelings which were alerting you to an emotional wound that needs healing...or even a more practical life problem that we abandon...refusing to address/solve...once positive outlook presents us with a new unrealistic dream to chase down. It is our path of least resistance. We will abandon the hard work of cleaning-up ourselves, our lives...and/or our messes as soon as "The Knowing" reminds us that all will be fine if we just keep moving forward. We don't need to work through the pain because we *absolutely know* something wonderful from the external/spiritual world will step-in and save us. If we just hold-on and keep our chin up and believe and keep moving forward...a happy thing will happen very soon. We just know it will.

The Knowing. At least the title doesn't dilute the fact that we are aware, but I'm more prone to calling it "Devil's Advocate".

Starry

The Knowing. At least the title doesn't dilute the fact that we are aware, but I'm more prone to calling it "Devil's Advocate".

I really am excited about your contribution here (you don't even know! yeah.) Imagining the FJ 7 might have a whole new way of looking at this issue I want you to expand rather than me incorrectly twisting it EP style. So, are you talking Devil's Advocate as in a Temptress of sorts? Please lend this thread your Knowing...

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

[MENTION=23180]corpseparty[/MENTION] your words were difficult for me to read which is what made me understand how profoundly real they were/are. The Knowing has emotionally supported me my whole life. I literally get tears in my eyes thinking of this and I'm not necessarily talking about sadness here. I'm in many ways in the Knowing's debt but need to get it to function properly.
I cry a lot and rarely know why anymore.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All about this forgetting and knowing stuff. It all makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you all for your wisdom.

Hopefully they don't cancel each other out and result in The Wheelspinning.

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really am excited about your contribution here (you don't even know! yeah.) Imagining the FJ 7 might have a whole new way of looking at this issue I want you to expand rather than me incorrectly twisting it EP style. So, are you talking Devil's Advocate as in a Temptress of sorts? Please lend this thread your Knowing...

Your articulation; brief amplification....in real words --talk about calling someone on their bullsh*t! Yet it's innate; a devil within. A vengeful chimeristic twin, privy to the internal knowledge, the unseen conflict, the hidden weaknesses often undetected by even our closest friends; our very own Delilah, but there is no escaping what we lust after; you can't remove it without cutting out parts of yourself. A part that to the rest of the unkeen world makes us beautiful. It is beautiful. The notion of embracing --nurturing-- one's inner child; it's our genome.

There are tides to surf, summits to climb, sunrises in a multitude of cities. Babies to hold; life is a gift! There is nothing wrong with reaching for the fruits of an abundant, present table spread out before us. And that is why she is so cunning.

She betrays us. She's a diabolical circus clown, the bag lady, the pied piper, and we're her captive toddlers, promised something shiny, something new, our choice candies; she knows what hurts and she can somatically divide... she offers what we're told we can not have, or what he have not worked for. She makes an aphrodisiac out of our own appetites...Her aphrodisiac is a distraction to our purposes within our purpose.

I've learned how to fight this; or at least I am trying. To remember what it is I most long for, the vision on the horizon; humor her distractions; grateful for her offering of seemly scattered wants and interests; the experiences they provide... indulge her chimeristic metastasizing thought; captivate and absorb her.

It's impossible to hate her, she is beautiful, wide and free (she mocks me)

And revel in the irony of seeking distraction when what you want the most seems so far off, or simply when you fear failing.. trust that you can fly.

Last edited:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Trying to figure out if I'm a 7 still. Please forgive any unwanted intrusions in this thread.

I don't know about forgetting or knowing. But I definitely IGNORE or refuse in any data that does not jive with my own knowledge or experience. I used to think this was a Ni/Si J thing, but now I am wondering if it's an overlay of just being enne 7... Because other INFJs or INTJs would still listen to incoming data probably, then reject it, or incorporate parts of it as necessary. I won't even LISTEN to it if I gleen it is headed somewhere I do not want to go. :)

I need to go back and read more of this thread about the Knowing part of being enne 7 that you mean. But I'm sort of fascinated with realizing I may be a 7. Being a 7 SX almost explains far better about how I am weird than being INFJ does. :thinking:

Characteristics: does not worry about consequences, tends to do dangerous things without adequate precautions, always seeking new challenges, unpredictable, lives for pleasure, loves physical exertion, loves to test their strength, more desire than fear, loves night life and crowds, adrenaline junkie, impulsive, enjoys fighting, open to pretty much anything, believes that fun is the most important thing in life, loves to exercise, not opposed to breaking laws, prefers the unfamiliar to the familiar, prefers autonomy, likes to perform, ambitious, uninhibited, likes camping, erotic, likes to lead, most people think they are crazy, remains calm when others panic, cannot sit still, has an all or nothing personality, self promoting, risk taker, brave, likes to be different

No type is likely to be adventurous like a 7w8. ;)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Trying to figure out if I'm a 7 still. Please forgive any unwanted intrusions in this thread.

I don't know about forgetting or knowing. But I definitely IGNORE or refuse in any data that does not jive with my own knowledge or experience. I used to think this was a Ni/Si J thing, but now I am wondering if it's an overlay of just being enne 7... Because other INFJs or INTJs would still listen to incoming data probably, then reject it, or incorporate parts of it as necessary. I won't even LISTEN to it if I gleen it is headed somewhere I do not want to go. :)

I need to go back and read more of this thread about the Knowing part of being enne 7 that you mean. But I'm sort of fascinated with realizing I may be a 7. Being a 7 SX almost explains far better about how I am weird than being INFJ does. :thinking:

Characteristics: does not worry about consequences, tends to do dangerous things without adequate precautions, always seeking new challenges, unpredictable, lives for pleasure, loves physical exertion, loves to test their strength, more desire than fear, loves night life and crowds, adrenaline junkie, impulsive, enjoys fighting, open to pretty much anything, believes that fun is the most important thing in life, loves to exercise, not opposed to breaking laws, prefers the unfamiliar to the familiar, prefers autonomy, likes to perform, ambitious, uninhibited, likes camping, erotic, likes to lead, most people think they are crazy, remains calm when others panic, cannot sit still, has an all or nothing personality, self promoting, risk taker, brave, likes to be different

No type is likely to be adventurous like a 7w8. ;)

7w8, maybe...

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFJ 7s are suddenly everywhere...we've been attacked!

Starry

All about this forgetting and knowing stuff. It all makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you all for your wisdom.

Hopefully they don't cancel each other out and result in The Wheelspinning.

They do. Wheelspinning sucks ass.

Starry

Your articulation; brief amplification....in real words --talk about calling someone on their bullsh*t! Yet it's innate; a devil within. A vengeful chimeristic twin, privy to the internal knowledge, the unseen conflict, the hidden weaknesses often undetected by even our closest friends; our very own Delilah, but there is no escaping what we lust after; you can't remove it without cutting out parts of yourself. A part that to the rest of the unkeen world makes us beautiful. It is beautiful. The notion of embracing --nurturing-- one's inner child; it's our genome.

There are tides to surf, summits to climb, sunrises in a multitude of cities. Babies to hold; life is a gift! There is nothing wrong with reaching for the fruits of an abundant, present table spread out before us. And that is why she is so cunning.

She betrays us. She's a diabolical circus clown, the bag lady, the pied piper, and we're her captive toddlers, promised something shiny, something new, our choice candies; she knows what hurts and she can somatically divide... she offers what we're told we can not have, or what he have not worked for. She makes an aphrodisiac out of our own appetites...Her aphrodisiac is a distraction to our purposes within our purpose.

I've learned how to fight this; or at least I am trying. To remember what it is I most long for, the vision on the horizon; humor her distractions; grateful for her offering of seemly scattered wants and interests; the experiences they provide... indulge her chimeristic metastasizing thought; captivate and absorb her.

It's impossible to hate her, he is beautiful, wide and free (she mocks me)

And revel in the irony of seeking distraction when what you want the most seems so far off, or simply when you fear failing.. trust that you can fly.

This is really, really good cm. Do you know your wing yet? (if you have already said forgive me as I've been distracted here lately.) I would also be interested in how you decided on sx/sp.

For 7w6 sx/sp are the most introverted and potentially troubled which is why I've wondered if Magic Qwan is in fact one as well (although I would advise he never list his type as sx/sp during his tenure here because it would be challenged as much if not more than INFJ 7 - people misunderstand sexual dominance in general long before combining it with e7. Sexual 7s are probably the most "virginal" of all the points.)

I'm trying to figure out how you got to where you are without making a negative connection to e5. I'm going to need to to comment more in this thread so as to help me get to where you are.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are you able to identify the base emotion though? Sadness, anger, frustration, fear?

I only cry when I feel joy or "bittersweet" emotions.

Those 4 all at once. Primarily frustration and fear.

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is really, really good cm. Do you know your wing yet? (if you have already said forgive me as I've been distracted here lately.) I would also be interested in how you decided on sx/sp.

For 7w6 sx/sp are the most introverted and potentially troubled which is why I've wondered if Magic Qwan is in fact one as well (although I would advise he never list his type as sx/sp during his tenure here because it would be challenged as much if not more than INFJ 7 - people misunderstand sexual dominance in general long before combining it with e7. Sexual 7s are probably the most "virginal" of all the points.)

I'm trying to figure out how you got to where you are without making a negative connection to e5. I'm going to need to to comment more in this thread so as to help me get to where you are.

When I take the tests, it says I'm a 7w8...which makes way more sense to me than the w6, but I admit I haven't spent nearly as much time reading into the wing as I have in the instinctual stackings. I at first considered myself sp/sx based on what I had read, but I test opposite, so that's what I shared. The more I learn, the more I am begining to agree-- at the same time, the more I learn the more I realize I don't know; it is helping me so much (wasn't expecting that)!

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sexual 7s are probably the most "virginal" of all the points.

I agree very much that people tend to misunderstand the sexual instinct. I'm curious to know where you're going with the above, though, would you mind fleshing it out a bit more?

For myself, the sx-dom instinct is less romantic/sexual in the way that many might define it; it's more descriptive of my energy, my tendency to react with intensity in everything that I do. For example, I don't simply have hobbies or interests - I feel like I psychologically fuse with them, sort of becoming them, making them as prominent in my life as I can. Without whatever currently drives me, I would feel empty and bored, given to subconsciously pursuing something to provide that fuel. I would feel anxious without these things in my life, and so I believe that I need them. I rarely like as much as I love.

Fortunately, I love a lot of things, and consequently am very...active and passionate because of this. Over time it might seem like my identity is fluid, since I can and have replaced one intense interest with another almost casually, but it doesn't feel like that. I just get really, really into whatever it is that I get into. It's a dominating force in my life.

When I take the tests, it says I'm a 7w8...which makes way more sense to me than the w6, but I admit I haven't spent nearly as much time reading into the wing as I have in the instinctual stackings.

For whatever it's worth, I also score as a 7w8 on online tests. I had a lot of wing confusion (sometimes, I still do) because an Eight can seem like a counterphobic Six and vice versa. I even wondered if it was possible to have balanced wings, or be wingless.

After a lot of reading, I was inclined to choose 7w6 based on (among other things) having a more cerebral energy, possessing that buried anxiety that goes straight to my head whenever I slow down enough to let it creep into consciousness. I have racing thoughts, high energy, and sleep fairly little. I've been diagnosed with hypomanic episodes before (it's not a big deal), and while all of that feels very Seven, it also feels very mental. Fear is the stuff I'm made of, the stuff I spend my life forgetting; rage is not. A counterphobic wing could account for any aggressive tendencies that I have, as I at least understand the desire to confront one's fears if they can't be ignored. Be strong and smooth under pressure, etc.

When it comes to general descriptions of type Six, there's honestly not much that I relate to. I get the anxiety, but the ways in which I deal with it are very different. I think it helps that my boyfriend is a 7w8, to help me feel the difference in person. I have the more playful "entertainer" energy often attached to 7w6, whereas he's got a slightly more grounded, aggressive, "entrepreneurial" edge to him. It's really neat to see.

I haven't yet ruled out the possibility of Eight being the dominant force in my gut/anger triad, but it would be last in the tritype stacking overall.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if you continue to feel a lot of uncertainty there for quite a while. Just do as much reading as you can; online tests will only get you so far.

Starry

I agree very much that people tend to misunderstand the sexual instinct. I'm curious to know where you're going with the above, though, would you mind fleshing it out a bit more?

For myself, the sx-dom instinct is less romantic/sexual in the way that many might define it; it's more descriptive of my energy, my tendency to react with intensity in everything that I do. For example, I don't simply have hobbies or interests - I feel like I psychologically fuse with them, sort of becoming them, making them as prominent in my life as I can. Without whatever currently drives me, I would feel empty and bored, given to subconsciously pursuing something to provide that fuel. I would feel anxious without these things in my life, and so I believe that I need them. I rarely like as much as I love.

Fortunately, I love a lot of things, and consequently am very...active and passionate because of this. Over time it might seem like my identity is fluid, since I can and have replaced one intense interest with another almost casually, but it doesn't feel like that. I just get really, really into whatever it is that I get into. It's a dominating force in my life.

I honestly wasn't going anywhere other than where I went with that. Early on here, like when I first arrived, there weren't all that many of us that were into the enneagram. In many ways, I feel it was a small sub set of members that sorta worked through all of this together literally learning the enneagram from each other. Today there are so many more knowledgeable individuals that have joined...but misinformation still abounds. A highly popular myth... which prevents true sexual sevens from recognizing they are sexual sevens...while simultaneously creating a handful of super sexy non-seven mistypes is: gluttony + sexual dominance = nymphomaniac

^^This is why I would advise the impressionable Magic Qwan to never, ever list his type as sx/sp in spite of the likelihood he probably is one. He gets challenged enough on ENFP and 7 as it is.

The truth of it is though is that sexual sevens are often some of the most non-sexual of them all. What you describe sounds right to me.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I honestly wasn't going anywhere other than where I went with that. Early on here, like when I first arrived, there weren't all that many of us that were into the enneagram. In many ways, I feel it was a small sub set of members that sorta worked through all of this together literally learning the enneagram from each other. Today there are so many more knowledgeable individuals that have joined...but misinformation still abounds. A highly popular myth... which prevents true sexual sevens from recognizing they are sexual sevens...while simultaneously creating a handful of super sexy non-seven mistypes is: gluttony + sexual dominance = nymphomaniac

^^This is why I would advise the impressionable Magic Qwan to never, ever list his type as sx/sp in spite of the likelihood he probably is one. He gets challenged enough on ENFP and 7 as it is.

The truth of it is though is that sexual sevens are often some of the most non-sexual of them all. What you describe sounds right to me.

It resonates with me, too. I get frustrated by "the tease," though.
Merging with that 'hobby' is the beginning, but you never feel close enough.