• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] The Wisdom of the Enneagram Seven

Starry

There are some expiriences I feel cheated out of that I feel I should have gotten but the Jehovah's Wittnesses took from me...

Have you ever communicated with the member [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION] ? I honestly can't say for certain in this moment... but I believe he may have had a similar experience growing-up with the same religion. If I'm wrong he will have to forgive me. But it may be worth your time to reach-out to him as he may have some coping suggestions. He may in fact be a valuable resource for you.

Thank you, [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] , narcissism makes sense now. When I spoke of ''test'' I wasn't speaking of a supernatural test, but rather the ''test'' of reaching my many goals without a safety-net to catch me if I fall. I know one bad choice could land me in the gutter somewhere or in the grave.

The question now is how to sober up and see reality as it really is and be sure I'm not distorting it.

Honestly, I didn't have a problem with the notion of being 'tested.' I am of the opinion we are all being tested every moment of every day. The issue I took with those first two verses was the suggestion that this was not a strength and stamina building test...but rather a test that has 'right answers' and 'wrong answers.' And getting something wrong would automatically lead to heartache and pain (and now I see above the inclusion of death as well.)

How many times do you suppose it has happened in this world that an individual's "right answer" has lead to pain...even death? While what was believed to have been a bad choice for someone to have made... turned into something very, very positive for the person?

Are there some choices and opportunities that will make more sense? That will possess a higher probability of leading you to brighter horizons? Sure. But you aren't going to be able to see these things clearly if you continue to cloud and obscure reality by creating false "truths" and prejudices prior to it being necessary.

I mean, if we're talking about drunk-driving or running cocaine across the border or swallowing knives...to say "one bad choice" makes sense. But in light of what you're talking about how realistic is that statement really? Because I see that fixated prejudgment as doing more harm than good. How do you think you will get to where you're wanting to go if operating under the assumption that one wrong choice and it's highly likely to be all over?

I am telling you...if you truly want to have what it takes to achieve your goals...you need to detach. You need to get sober. You need to let go of this grandiose-fixated-magical-dramatic understanding of you and your life and how the world is. The healthy, wise e7 does not embellish first...and then try to figure out what the hell's going on. <-Trust me when I tell you that if something is gonna lead to the gutter...it will be doing just that.

The healthy, wise e7 accepts reality first...and then honors and appreciates that gift...and embellishes some if need be.

^I had temporarily forgotten about the haiku that appears in my signature. This haiku, having been written by the 17th century Japanese samurai Mizuta Masahide, embodies the wisdom of 7 like nothing I have ever encountered in just a few simple words. Here you can see precisely what needs to be done to live in 7s wisdom... acceptance of reality>gratitude. This is what 7 offers to the world. This is 7s secret to living a beautiful Life.

Barn's burnt down.
Now
I can see the moon.

Starry

I forgot there were so many other responses I wanted to make in this thread...

Very lovely. I like it :wubbie:

And I like you Mr. tinker. It's always a pleasure to encounter you on this site :hug:

It's a nice quote which should be easy to relate to, but right now it could not resonate less with me. :mellow:

Also, that font is pretty painful. :p

I know exactly what you are talking about and yet I don't understand it haha. I think Sophia was calling the script/language Elvish er Elfish? Something like that. Basically, whatever creatures from the Lord of the Rings communicate in. It looks this way on one of my computers...but on a tablet and phone...English. So weird.

I love this thread and the people in it.

tumblr_inline_mstosifnwc1qz4rgp.gif

Just occured to me that someone thought I wrote what was in red. NOPE I'm not even close to that good.

johnny - I just wanted to make clear in case it was not... I completely understood that what had been presented in red type was not your own... and still made that comment about you becoming a writer. <-I wanted you to know that.

To me writing isn't only about how you string words and subsequently sentences, paragraphs and pages together...
Writing is just as much what you choose to say...and I see a lot of power and impact in what you choose to say. Basically, I meant every word I said :wink:

I actually like their sexual 7 description in comparison to Naranjo's. Naranjo makes every sexual 7 look like some time of Ariel from Little Mermaid, when in fact, I know this isn't true. I do believe that many Sx/sp 7's are like this, but I don't know of many sx/so 7's that are like this.

Great One...do you have a sexual 7 description...or what are you talking about here? Ariel from the Little Mermaid...while an apparent ENFP favorite... scares me a little bit. She makes me uncomfortable. (For those that must know...I see myself as 3/4 Peter Pan and 1/4 Wendy.)

Anyway, if you have a non-Ariel sexual 7 description I would love to see it. Thanks so much!

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you ever communicated with the member [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION] ? I honestly can't say for certain in this moment... but I believe he may have had a similar experience growing-up with the same religion. If I'm wrong he will have to forgive me. But it may be worth your time to reach-out to him as he may have some coping suggestions. He may in fact be a valuable resource for you.

Honestly, I didn't have a problem with the notion of being 'tested.' I am of the opinion we are all being tested every moment of every day. The issue I took with those first two verses was the suggestion that this was not a strength and stamina building test...but rather a test that has 'right answers' and 'wrong answers.' And getting something wrong would automatically lead to heartache and pain (and now I see above the inclusion of death as well.)

How many times do you suppose it has happened in this world that an individual's "right answer" has lead to pain...even death? While what was believed to have been a bad choice for someone to have made... turned into something very, very positive for the person?

Are there some choices and opportunities that will make more sense? That will possess a higher probability of leading you to brighter horizons? Sure. But you aren't going to be able to see these things clearly if you continue to cloud and obscure reality by creating false "truths" and prejudices prior to it being necessary.

I mean, if we're talking about drunk-driving or running cocaine across the border or swallowing knives...to say "one bad choice" makes sense. But in light of what you're talking about how realistic is that statement really? Because I see that fixated prejudgment as doing more harm than good. How do you think you will get to where you're wanting to go if operating under the assumption that one wrong choice and it's highly likely to be all over?

I am telling you...if you truly want to have what it takes to achieve your goals...you need to detach. You need to get sober. You need to let go of this grandiose-fixated-magical-dramatic understanding of you and your life and how the world is. The healthy, wise e7 does not embellish first...and then try to figure out what the hell's going on. <-Trust me when I tell you that if something is gonna lead to the gutter...it will be doing just that.

The healthy, wise e7 accepts reality first...and then honors and appreciates that gift...and embellishes some if need be.

^I had temporarily forgotten about the haiku that appears in my signature. This haiku, having been written by the 17th century Japanese samurai Mizuta Masahide, embodies the wisdom of 7 like nothing I have ever encountered in just a few simple words. Here you can see precisely what needs to be done to live in 7s wisdom... acceptance of reality>gratitude. This is what 7 offers to the world. This is 7s secret to living a beautiful Life.

Barn's burnt down.
Now
I can see the moon.

I think I see what is going down. I will need more coaching, though...

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't know if i'm a 4w3 or a 7w8...I don't even know if they're even close in comparison or if i'm just inept
it's really tedious and annoying me

Starry

I don't know if i'm a 4w3 or a 7w8...I don't even know if they're even close in comparison or if i'm just inept
it's really tedious and annoying me

I would have pegged you as the classic ENFP 7w6 so/sx ...but let me think on it sweetie and get back to you. Either way it's nice to have you here.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that was such a brilliant and thoughtfulpost miss starry pants. such a beautiful creature you for putting so much of yourself into that.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

I like you so much that I literally hand typed this description straight from "The Wisdom of the Enneagram" book. This is the description from that book for the sexual 7, word for word....

The sexual instinct in the Seven

The Neophile. In the average range, Sexual Sevens are constantly looking for something new and beyond the ordinary: like Fours, they tend to reject the mundane. In all of their activities and interactions, they want to experience the intense charge of being alive. They see life through heightened imagination, idealizing themselves, their relationships, and reality. They often have wide-ranging curiosity and interests and are fascinate by new ideas and topics they see as being on the cutting edge. Sexual sevens are magnetized by people whom they find interesting or refreshing. When the radar of their sexual instinct locks onto such a person, they do not hesitate to approach the person with charm and genuine interest. They feel temporarily dazzled and hypnotized by the object of their curiosity and may induce similar feelings in others. Sexual sevens enjoy the excitement of fantasizing about future adventures and shared interests with the new person. They love wild ideas, wit, and humor-their minds move very quickly but this can also cause restlessness between their selves and their relationships.

Less healthy sexual sevens can become fickle- both with their interests and with their affections. They fear commitment, preferring the intense feelings of infatuation that occur in the earliest stages of a relationship (They love falling in love). They revel in romance and in the process of mutual discovery, but as soon as the feelings become familiar, they are ready to explore other possibilities. Similarly, restlessness causes them to lack discernment. They may get involved in faddish or sensational ideas in glitzy packaging that are little more than a temporary distractions. Disappointment soon follows.

In the unhealthy range, sexual sevens become even more reckless in their pursuit of charged excitement. They may involve themselves in crazy schemes and unrealistic or dangerous love affairs. They become thrill-seekers, looking for more and more extraordinary sources of entertainment while being less and less affected by any of it. They become hardened and dissipated from living on the edge, often burning out or damaging themselves in some permanent way from their excesses.

Starry

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

I like you so much that I literally hand typed this description straight from "The Wisdom of the Enneagram" book. This is the description from that book for the sexual 7, word for word....

It was when you noticed how I was distancing myself from Ariel wasn't it...?

Great One, I really, really appreciate this. I know I will have more to say on it... but didn't want anymore time to go by prior to thanking you so very much. You are truly Great.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmmmm I don’t think I would call this wisdom exactly, but it is something I was thinking about today. I was listening to The Foo Fighters MIA; when it got to this verse:

Getting lost in you again is better than being numb
Counting every minute till the feeling comes crashing down
Run when it hits the ground, I'm good at escaping
But better at flaking out

It struck me that while Sevens often get slack for running away from relationships. Versus the ones in my life who are far more prone to running into relationships. Essentially using it as a form of escapism.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh, ya know...just a bunch of rumi quotes.

“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
― Rumi

“Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
― Rumi

“Dance, when you're broken open. Dance, if you've torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you're perfectly free.”
― Rumi

“The breezes at dawn have secrets to tell you
Don't go back to sleep!
You must ask for what you really want.
Don't go back to sleep!
People are going back and forth
across the doorsill where the two worlds touch,
The door is round and open
Don't go back to sleep!”
― Rumi

“Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.”
-Rumi

“But listen to me. For one moment
quit being sad. Hear blessings
dropping their blossoms
around you.”
― Rumi

“Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. Whatever sorrow shakes from your heart, far better things will take their place.”
― Rumi

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Great thread. Some really profound posts. :) Thank you for this.

Starry

hmmmm I don’t think I would call this wisdom exactly, but it is something I was thinking about today. I was listening to The Foo Fighters MIA; when it got to this verse:

Getting lost in you again is better than being numb
Counting every minute till the feeling comes crashing down
Run when it hits the ground, I'm good at escaping
But better at flaking out

*heavy sigh*

Once again you seem completely oblivious of the fact you are/were putting-forth something extraordinarily relevant... something forgotten that must be seen again...

My memory has not served me well lately. Dave Grohl, a constant in my life, not yet having been mentioned in this thread is astounding to me...and evidence of my clear and present insanity. Massive, unspeakable quantities of ginkgo biloba - here I come.

(excuse me for one brief moment Dr.)

-------------------------------------------------
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] Dave Grohl is a near perfect example of an ENFP 7w6 so/sx perfectionist w/ *smooth presentation* (perfectionism, anxiousness are latent.) Have a look see...

-------------------------------------------------

It struck me that while Sevens often get slack for running away from relationships. Versus the ones in my life who are far more prone to running into relationships. Essentially using it as a form of escapism.

^^I might need to quote this again in a fresh window because I'm now unbelievably interested in how the individual 7s here handle romantic circumstances...

I consider myself an individual that runs towards interesting people and away from relationships. I mean, I'm wired to run towards relationships and away from pain which creates a strange push-pull I imagine. But as an sx dom I take relationships so seriously...and while I am quite certain it doesn't show in my outward behavior beyond just being there...I still am entirely invested with my soul...my heart will be...entirely devoted. Knowing what kind of pain I'm potentially setting myself up for I'll most definitely do the "gone in sixty-seconds" if I feel the person will bring me heartache and harm with their actions and treatment of me (I have since gotten over the heartache of my last relationship...and yet I still get mad at myself for not having seen in him...or known via what should be a mandated public service announcement... the dangers of turning your heart over to fuckin-crazy Ni>Fe>Ti.) So, because of the extreme seriousness of it all...I've never personally used relationships as a form of escapism... But day dreaming of some amazingly awesome and hot dude has caused me to avoid many of Life's more unpleasant realities and for this I'm quite grateful haha (<-that's a joke MQ.)

7 sx will use actual *romance* as well as literature, day dreams, fantasy as escapism

7 sp will feed their hearty appetites with food, sex, luxuries as escapism

7 so it's these guys I worry most about when it comes to actual running in and out of relationships. They seem to have a more difficult time feeding the beast...quieting the 7 beast...and so they just keep on running. Dave Grohl's running has worked for him...but I could still see long before I even knew what enneagram was that he was running...and that his running looked "identical just better rewarded" than my ENFP 7w6 so/sx bestie.

All my life I've been searching for something
Something never comes never leads to nothing
Nothing satisfies but I'm getting close
Closer to the prize at the end of the rope

And I'm done, done and I'm on to the next one...

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] Dave Grohl is a near perfect example of an ENFP 7w6 so/sx perfectionist w/ *smooth presentation* (perfectionism, anxiousness are latent.) Have a look see...

I skipped through the video, I related to what he said such as the "let us be a band" stuff and his general style of talking about things. The only difference is that I'm a little more sloppy and take a longer time to get my thoughts in order so I ramble on a lot more. :thinking: So I'm not sure how that relates to me being so/sx vs sx/so haha. Would you mind explaining? :D

Starry

“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
― Rumi

“Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
― Rumi

“Dance, when you're broken open. Dance, if you've torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you're perfectly free.”
― Rumi

“The breezes at dawn have secrets to tell you
Don't go back to sleep!
You must ask for what you really want.
Don't go back to sleep!
People are going back and forth
across the doorsill where the two worlds touch,
The door is round and open
Don't go back to sleep!”
― Rumi

“Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.”
-Rumi

“But listen to me. For one moment
quit being sad. Hear blessings
dropping their blossoms
around you.”
― Rumi

“Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. Whatever sorrow shakes from your heart, far better things will take their place.”
― Rumi

I absolutely love these *fives*
Please keep more coming when you think of it.
When I think of 7s I always think of how perfect profound quotes are for them.

Here's a possibly less healthy message by Rumi I remembered the other day haha... (still love it though and frankly "health" will always be a relative term.)

Let the lover be disgraceful, crazy,
absentminded. Someone sober
will worry about things going badly.
Let the lover be.

^I always thought I should know this person or a person with this philosophy...
thank you so much

Starry

I skipped through the video, I related to what he said such as the "let us be a band" stuff and his general style of talking about things. The only difference is that I'm a little more sloppy and take a longer time to get my thoughts in order so I ramble on a lot more. :thinking: So I'm not sure how that relates to me being so/sx vs sx/so haha. Would you mind explaining? :D

I have an errand to run and I'll be back quite soon hopefully...

I've got a whole bunch of Walt Whitman quotes I need to post in here haha <-this is important shit man.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I likes Rumi and stuff now.

johnny - I just wanted to make clear in case it was not... I completely understood that what had been presented in red type was not your own... and still made that comment about you becoming a writer. <-I wanted you to know that.

To me writing isn't only about how you string words and subsequently sentences, paragraphs and pages together...
Writing is just as much what you choose to say...and I see a lot of power and impact in what you choose to say. Basically, I meant every word I said :wink:

Thank you madam.

This is like the feel good Thread of the Year, all around.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Totally agree with Dave being a perfect example of 7w6, love that guy :wubbie:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27402-1366647712-10.gif

Freesh poooots!

Also: EFP 7w6 sp
enhanced-buzz-4890-1366648304-19.jpg

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Totally agree with Dave being a perfect example of 7w6, love that guy :wubbie:

I saw the Foo Fighters live and he climbed up the stage rigging, probably 50 feet and continued to play.

Never seen that before.