The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    No that's right. Most people worship the gods not for salvation or fear of damnation but as a source of comfort and help during the travails of daily life. And if you're looking for success in one particular area, you don't want to piss off the associated divinity.
    So, you are Hindu? I do a little bit of yoga sometimes, and before focusing more on Buddhism, I used to be interested more on Hinduism. A bit more form than I needed, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    @The Wailing Spector

I used to hike supplies into the jungles of Thailand and because of this was able to spend longer periods of time with various tribes. There, I could meditate...and I can when I've been in nature for a while...like say I've been vacationing/camping for a few days and my brain has wound-down. It's a difficult thing for me though...and no, I've never heard of meditating with your eyes open.

What the hell is your new name?
    The Wailing Specter

I distinctly remember my instructor saying to never close your eyes during Zazen or you will fall asleep or daydream during meditation.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan
    Likes Starry liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by The Wailing Specter View Post
    So, you are Hindu? I do a little bit of yoga sometimes, and before focusing more on Buddhism, I used to be interested more on Hinduism. A bit more form than I needed, though.

The Wailing Specter

I distinctly remember my instructor saying to never close your eyes during Zazen or you will fall asleep or daydream during meditation.
    I was raised in a Hindu family, I don't identify as Hindu per se but Upanishadic philosophy is probably closest to my spiritual beliefs.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    I was raised in a Hindu family, I don't identify as Hindu per se but Upanishadic philosophy is probably closest to my spiritual beliefs.
    I looked up Upanishadic philosophy. It is rather beautiful!
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Well, the Catholics have a pope, much like how the Jehovah's Witnesses have a governing body in Brooklyn which can never be questioned as they commune directly with Jehovah God. Both JW's and Catholics are theistic, though Catholics are trinitarian and JW's are Unitarian (no relation to Unitarian Universalists). Catholics have many holidays and traditions, but JW's only have 2, and all other "worldly" celebrations are banned. Those 2 are the "Lord's Supper", which is basically the eucharist except only for those "annointed" by the governing body, and the other is weekly door-to-door conversion effort for all members. I see many of the same problems with Catholics I see with JW's, but at least one can be culturally catholic and have cultural memories. Cultural JW doesn't really exist, since "worldly" things are shunned and the focus is on living up to "the absolute unadulterated purity of the Lord". I was the picture of the enneagram one as a child--strict with both myself and others, critical, and very conservative. I was determined to walk the straight and narrow and if I wasn't able to bring others along, their blood was on my hands. Since the JW's always taught Armageddon could never be more than a couple of weeks away, at the most, I was really aggressive in promoting JW ideology and never really had friends. I managed to get my first acquaintances that wouldn't bully towards the end of high school--all girls, but even then, I wouldn't call them my friend. Only Starry has ever filled anything remotely close to a true friend in my life, with my deceased grandmother and mother close behind. Outside of work, I haven't spoken a word to anybody in over a year. I probably misidentifed as extroverted because I try to be friendly and force myself to interact with people so I don't hurt them, but then scurry away to solitude at the first opportunity, and then moan when I have to deal with people again. Part of my psychosis stems from the fact that I was raised to believe perfection would grant me eternal youth. Now I know I will grow old, suffer, and die, just like everybody else will and always has. My goal now is to live as enjoyable of a life as possible since it is more than likely my only chance and it will not last forever. Nothing lasts forever, and nobody is really special. My mantra is that things are what they are and it is not good to get hung up on outcomes, for even homeless people have the benefit of being free from the stress of maintaining life. We all suffer, and the best we can do, as far as I can tell, is trade one form of suffering for another. Granted, I objectively believe the dissatisfaction that comes being punched by a middle aged man-child is nothing compared to the suffering experienced by those who endured the Holocaust, but I believe suffering/dissatisfaction is very subjective and relative to one's baseline of dhukka. For Donald Trump, so much beauty is taken for granted that even the slightest joke at his expense will cause him great suffering. For Viktor Frankl, simple pleasure like kindness, eating a cockroach, or seeing a sunrise gave his life meaning despite seeing thousands of mutilated bodies every day, including his own mutilated body. You see, doing Zazen during both my high emotional periods as well as my low periods has given me insight that none of us are really special, we all suffer, and that's alright.

When you say pray, is it anything like a Christian prayer, or is it something different?
    For example, a Jehovah's Witness prayer (not sure if you know who they are) would go like this:

"Jehovah our heavenly father, I come before you to request your aid in doing your will and in helping others to come to The Truth. The signs of the last days are all around us, and I need your divine guidance to avoid being tainted by the false religions unleashed by Satan to deceive me. Please help me survive Armageddon, so I may be fruitful in your eternal paradise and enjoy the eternal youth you have provided me. Thank you for creating the beautiful world we live in, and may all come to see your perfect divine order. In your son's name Jesus, Amen."

Amen is a Hebrew word meaning so it be done. I never thought those words would enter my mind again.

Magic Qwan you know I can't read this much...
    Walk first through the fire.

*Currently participating in the "No Likes" experiment.
    Likes The Wailing Specter, Masokissed, riva liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    Magic Qwan you know I can't read this much...
    I'll condense it
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

When Donald Trump has to listen to a joke at his expense, it is the worst thing he has ever had to endure and he suffers accordingly. When Viktor Frankl gets to eat a cockroach after being beaten for 12 hours straight, its the best thing he's ever tasted. Suffering is relative.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Also, I am not saying JW is better. I'm just confused what it means to pray to a buddha? Are you asking for the world to change for you? That would be silly and supernatural.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    estp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Also, I am not saying JW is better. I'm just confused what it means to pray to a buddha? Are you asking for the world to change for you? That would be silly and supernatural.
    I'll reply to this. Have been away froma pc these few days.

MBTI
    estp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Buddhism doesnt dismiss the existence of other beings and other planets. According to buddhism there are other living being just like humans who live in better circumstances, environments, health, living conditions etc. Some of these traits could be considered supernatural. For example some of these being inject nutrition through their noses as opposed to the mouths as we do. They also have senses other than the senses us humans have. Etc

However they also live and die just like us, have flaws just like us, are imperfect just like us, are mortal just like us and are subject to their actions/karma just like us. Since they die just like us it when they die they could be born into other realms (human, hell, animal etc.). One could argue this is paradise.

However, It's NOT a permanent paradise like it is explained in abrahamic religions where you live forever and ever and ever. You die, you are born again, where you are born again depends on your karma. So being born into these heavenly realms doesn't guarantee you'd be happy forever. Basically they are like rich kids with awesome genes living in a perpetual party who could choose to live life making decisions based on their personalities. And i repeat again they are imperfect being who have negative and positive emotions just like us.

According to buddha if you accumulate good karma you could be born into these worlds; therefore he kept insisting everyone to keep doing good deeds, make self sacrifises and avoid being an asshole. However it doesn't mean you'd be permanently happy if you are born into these worlds since you have emotions both positive and negative just like humans, you can get bored and these planets though much happier than ours have their own drama.

However you DON'T HAVE TO believe in the existence of these beings because:

- You have never seem them and according to a particular sutra (kalama sutta) buddha adviced people not to believe in anything if there is a lack of evidence
    - They can't decide you fate (your karma is based on your actions and intentions alone)
    - They are NOT WORTHY of being worshipped according to Buddha
    - And it is possible Buddha made up the existence of these worlds to temp people to do more and more good deeds/good karma and make self sacrifises. Not everyone had the ability to understand the path to nirvana therefore he might have said these to encourage people to live good lives until the day arrived them to undertamd the path. I personally don't think Buddha lied and believe these worlds exist. Infact i do a lot of good deeds hoping to be born into one of these worlds .

More
    Likes The Wailing Specter, Starry liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Buddhism doesnt dismiss the existence of other beings and other planets. According to buddhism there are other living being just like humans who live in better circumstances, environments, health, living conditions etc. Some of these traits could be considered supernatural. For example some of these being inject nutrition through their noses as opposed to the mouths as we do. They also have senses other than the senses us humans have. Etc

However they also live and die just like us, have flaws just like us, are imperfect just like us, are mortal just like us and are subject to their actions/karma just like us. Since they die just like us it when they die they could be born into other realms (human, hell, animal etc.). One could argue this is paradise. However, It's NOT a permanent paradise like it is explained in abrahamic religions where you live forever and ever and ever. You die, you are born again, where you are born again depends on your karma. So being born into these heavenly realms doesn't guarantee you'd be happy forever.

According to buddha if y
    When you say pray, is it anything like a Christian prayer, or is it something different?
    For example, a Jehovah's Witness prayer (not sure if you know who they are) would go like this:

"Jehovah our heavenly father, I come before you to request your aid in doing your will and in helping others to come to The Truth. The signs of the last days are all around us, and I need your divine guidance to avoid being tainted by the false religions unleashed by Satan to deceive me. Please help me survive Armageddon, so I may be fruitful in your eternal paradise and enjoy the eternal youth you have provided me. Thank you for creating the beautiful world we live in, and may all come to see your perfect divine order. In your son's name Jesus, Amen."

Amen is a Hebrew word meaning so it be done. I never thought those words would enter my mind again.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan