User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

@skylights

Mostly I'm teasing you, but I don't really suspect wanting fame or not is a very reliable indicator of your stacking.
    What social last wants fame as badly as I?

Indeed. Myself as well. I actually have carved a fairly good niche there and have made myself less replaceable, but I still resent the way I am treated by the public and management alike. Maybe in true soc-dom fashion, I seek status, because frankly I'm tired of being treated like I'm an idiot and a servant. I'd like my advanced degrees because I want to be truly good at what I do, because I'd like to have the power to do what interests me, and least importantly but still significantly because I do desire the respect and better treatment those titles confer.
    Well, I don't give a shit about building my social status. Instead, I care about building a skillset that will allow me to make a lot of money for myself and others. People won't hire you because you are socially prestigious, but they will hire you if you can make them a great deal of money. So this is my goal.

That sounds frustrating. You've spoken to a psychologist or psychiatrist?
    Can't afford it right now, but hopefully I will be able to when Obamacare kicks in, in January.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    @skylights

What social last wants fame as badly as I?

I don't have enough knowledge of people who desire fame to be able to answer that question, but in general the instinct seems to impart an awareness of "movement" and "currency" in the social sphere - like the way I perceive social status as one key to obtaining opportunities that may not be available otherwise.

In general I think the Soc instinct would impart a desire for social fluidity and affirmation, which could either be secured via fame or hampered by it. My point simply being, I do not think the desire for fame or lack thereof is a strong indicator of variant. It is entirely possible that you are not Social last, but I do not think it can be determined by your feelings on fame.

Incidentally, you mentioned before:

If you don't have oodles of money and people screaming your name then how do you know that you are successful?
    Because you are happy and you are fulfilling your dreams.

"Success" to me looks like a well-respected and decently-paid position in a humanitarian career, a happy romantic relationship, a loving family, a comfortable home, exciting travel plans, and a few fluffball kitties.

My face on a magazine cover... well, it might be temporarily pleasing to be that famous, but I think about the lasting impact of that, and I'm not sure it would have an overwhelmingly positive moment-to-moment impact on my life. I don't desire a career in entertainment, so I wouldn't want to go that direction. I mean, if I make some Nobel-prize-worthy discovery, then by all means, plaster my face on magazines and I will be ecstatic. But I can't see desiring fame as a goal unto itself.

Well, I don't give a shit about building my social status. Instead, I care about building a skillset that will allow me to make a lot of money for myself and others. People won't hire you because you are socially prestigious, but they will hire you if you can make them a great deal of money. So this is my goal.
    I think that is a fine way to go about it, though I disagree about social prestige. Reputation is important... both from an employer and customer/client/patient perspective. People are far more likely to choose someone they are familiar with, and feel some degree of trust for. Not that you must have a good reputation to be successful, but it is not something I would feel comfortable eschewing, personally.

Can't afford it right now, but hopefully I will be able to when Obamacare kicks in, in January.
    I am looking forward to that, as well.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

@skylights

I don't have enough knowledge of people who desire fame to be able to answer that question, but in general the instinct seems to impart an awareness of "movement" and "currency" in the social sphere - like the way I perceive social status as one key to obtaining opportunities that may not be available otherwise.

In general I think the Soc instinct would impart a desire for social fluidity and affirmation, which could either be secured via fame or hampered by it. My point simply being, I do not think the desire for fame or lack thereof is a strong indicator of variant. It is entirely possible that you are not Social last, but I do not think it can be determined by your feelings on fame.
    Yeah it seems like I need a social affirmation.

Because you are happy and you are fulfilling your dreams.

"Success" to me looks like a well-respected and decently-paid position in a humanitarian career, a happy romantic relationship, a loving family, a comfortable home, exciting travel plans, and a few fluffball kitties.

My face on a magazine cover... well, it might be temporarily pleasing to be that famous, but I think about the lasting impact of that, and I'm not sure it would have an overwhelmingly positive moment-to-moment impact on my life. I don't desire a career in entertainment, so I wouldn't want to go that direction. I mean, if I make some Nobel-prize-worthy discovery, then by all means, plaster my face on magazines and I will be ecstatic. But I can't see desiring fame as a goal unto itself.
    But that just sounds like an everyday person's life. That just seems boring to me. I feel like I haven't accomplished much if I'm just an ordinary 9 to 5 Joe. I need to accomplish something amazing that makes people just look at me and say, "That guy is fucking awesome!" in order to feel successful.

I think that is a fine way to go about it, though I disagree about social prestige. Reputation is important... both from an employer and customer/client/patient perspective. People are far more likely to choose someone they are familiar with, and feel some degree of trust for. Not that you must have a good reputation to be successful, but it is not something I would feel comfortable eschewing, personally.
    Yeah reputation is important. I mean I don't want to get a criminal record or anything, but I'm not gonna go around all day playing politics. That shit is just annoying. It seems like at the end of the day what companies really say to themselves is, "How much money can this guy make my company? And can he do it without bringing a reputation so horrible that people won't buy from my company because he is associated with it?" That's what I'm seeing. I'll personally leave the politics to others.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Are you talking about, for example, sometimes I flash on a vision of grabbing a big handful of somebody's shirt at the chest and slamming them hard against a wall? They will never know it, and I would never do it, but it's very satisfying to occasionally think about ... and not something I can entirely help, either.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Are you talking about, for example, sometimes I flash on a vision of grabbing a big handful of somebody's shirt at the chest and slamming them hard against a wall? They will never know it, and I would never do it, but it's very satisfying to occasionally think about ... and not something I can entirely help, either.
    It's similar to that, but my impulse is so strong that I have to fight myself not to act on the impulse. It's really terrifying.