• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Can 4s have fear and anxiety issues?

Asterism

MBTI Type
IxxJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I may be high-strung, intense, and demanding, but I'm certainly not anxious by nature. If I were more anxious, I do believe I would be more consistently motivated and not lapse into utter inertia as often as I do. Like [MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION], the anxiety I do consistently experience seems to be related to my body and general physical concerns, but even that is mostly tied to shame and a sense of defectiveness, as well as imperfection and failure (hello 1-fix). Although this, I believe, may be part of some unrelated mental health issues, as well.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have had qiuet a bit of anxiety throughout my lifetime.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Sexual 4: 8-esque
This I know first-hand. I mistyped at 8 for while, and many people in my life, including my parents, thought this was very likely an accurate typing.

Social 4: phobic 6 or 9-esque

SP-4: 1-esque
Can you expand on these a little? I think I know what you mean but I'd love to hear more, especially how you would relate this to anxiety.

S

Stansmith

This I know first-hand. I mistyped at 8 for while, and many people in my life, including my parents, thought this was very likely an accurate typing.

Can you expand on these a little? I think I know what you mean but I'd love to hear more, especially how you would relate this to anxiety.

Social 4s seem more conscious of their deviation towards others, making them prone to social anxiety. However, I don't think that means they experience existential anxiety like Sixes do, unless they have some anxiety disorder separate from their type. Perhaps the social instinct makes them more anxious about their future social standing, however, nowhere in the description is that implied.

As far as their general similarities to phobic Sixes and Nines, social 4s seem more 'cute', wallflower-ish and receptive than Sx and Sp-4s. Lana del Rey and Frida Kahlo are like night and day.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Social 4s seem more conscious of their deviation towards others, making them prone to social anxiety. However, I don't think that means they experience existential anxiety like Sixes do, unless they have some anxiety disorder separate from their type. Perhaps the social instinct makes them more anxious about their future social standing, however, nowhere in the description is that implied.

As far as their general similarities to phobic Sixes and Nines, social 4s seem more 'cute', wallflower-ish and receptive than Sx and Sp-4s. Lana del Rey and Frida Kahlo are like night and day.

Ah I see. Makes sense. How about Sp-4s being 1-esque?

S

Stansmith

Ah I see. Makes sense. How about Sp-4s being 1-esque?

The Sp-4s I've seen seem to withhold their intensity, and come off as more obviously elitist and passively disdainful. They seem like they're the least concerned with being 'saved'.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Sp-4s I've seen seem to withhold their intensity, and come off as more obviously elitist and passively disdainful. They seem like they're the least concerned with being 'saved'.

This is not true... sp 4s can seem like 6, because of they security issues similar to 6. They care a lot about their enviroment and their body, or health.

B

brainheart

This is not true... sp 4s can seem like 6, because of they security issues similar to 6. They care a lot about their enviroment and their body, or health.

I think what [MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION] says is more sp/sx 4 while what you say is more sp/so 4. I mean, I'm kind of like what he says is sp 4. Stacking makes a big difference.

B

brainheart

How would SX be expressed in a SX-last 4?

An sx-last 4 could probably answer this better but it seems to me more like a longing or romanticizing of intensity vs actually being intense.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
An sx-last 4 could probably answer this better but it seems to me more like a longing or romanticizing of intensity vs actually being intense.
sounds a lot like me, my exterior is so cold and reserved somehow, there's just no getting close to me or to anyone. crippling shy; i never talk, an intense stutter. in the end i just end up fantasizing greatly about a special someone, they'll never know. each night i promise myself i'm going to initiate a conversation with the particular person, but when i'm so close to doing it i just never do. but i'm working on it... so slowly, time goes by so quick, soon we will be seperated by force. the funny thing too is that it's not just ONE person, it's one of many likely candidates, i'm not a very picky person, but it's based on physical attraction as i don't know the people in question, which does makes me feel slightly shallow sometimes. i know physical attraction is an important factor, but it does feel a little harsh sometimes, because i know the feelings of inadequacy. it's basically: "if you're ugly you deserve to die alone". a mean personality ticks me off though.

as for anxiety... i don't know, and i don't speak for all 4s, i've always been reclusive and shy, not wanting to expose my stuttering. i don't have 'anxiety attacks' but i have a lot of social fears, nervousness, it's been a lot better this week though. i've managed to talk to some people fairly non-awkwardly, as i felt what i said with a rigid expression was so distant from what everyone else said, it still felt good getting myself out there. i'll improve, i'm still young. but what i'm saying is this is not what i expected 6 months ago haha, no friends, no gf/bf, no anyone.