123 Last

Thread: Supervising 6's

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default Supervising 6's

So, I'm the ceo of a gym in charge of a gaggle of E6's.

I'm wondering, is it my job to comfort them or not? Is it bad practice to allow someone to become dependent on you for support?

these guys do awesome work but constantly complain about it, and when I ask them how its going they're completely negative to the point where it starts to rub off on me. I used to pump them up and make them feel better, but its completely draining for me to have to do that so often.

I know its wiser to teach a man to fish, rather than to give a man a fish, so in this situation, how exactly do I teach the E6's how to fish for themselves instead of turn my office into the house of whining? I don't like the idea that I just kick them out and tell them "come back to me when its done and your attitude is better."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

What do they whine about?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    What do they whine about?
    Well, mostly just how hard the task at hand is.

him: "I'm gonna have to get everyone together by sunday, that's gonna be hard. the event is monday, and my girlfriend wants to do this on tuesday... *sigh* I guess this will work out *sad face slowly increases as he continues to ramble*"
    me: "what do you need help with?"
    him: "um... Idunno... I'm good I guess."

In most situations I have to sit there and analyze their situation and then insert my own effort to help them do their job. Its draining to have to figure out what needs fixing and for them to not really know either. I'm a big believer in servant leadership, but there comes a point where I'm doing too much for them and really only exhausting myself.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Ahah, well then maybe they just want a simple "yeah but I'm sure you'll make it "
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

is that all it takes? I feel like that's not convincing at all.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I don't see any request to you in their "whining", just a form of venting.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Stansmith

They'll make it. Just give them neutral-to-good vibes as long as their job performance is on point.

It's not your job to comfort them, but you can encourage a more positive environment. Focus on what they're good at, mention those traits, and why they were chosen for something specific, even if they weren't chosen but it's their job, find something that they're good at in relation to it. A) It will help you see the good in them, and B) people usually have something to offer and mentioning it can build trust and confidence. Often times people will focus on what they need to improve on and not improving what they're already good at, which can lead to a negative attitude and low confidence. If instead their mentality is built through showing them their strengths, their confidence and then attitude tend to follow, at least in my experience. In the end, you can't motivate people, they have to motivate themselves, but you can show different perspectives which can lead to many positive outcomes.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    They'll make it. Just give them neutral-to-good vibes as long as their job performance is on point.
    Yeah, last night we had a performance rehearsal. They were venting about how there won't be enough people. I sorta stepped in and mentioned that they'll be alright with who they have and they need to just focus on what they can do with what they have. He then said, "ok... can we focus on the performance and not just telling us we'll be ok?"

I just sorta shut my mouth and left after that, haha.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    It's not your job to comfort them, but you can encourage a more positive environment. Focus on what they're good at, mention those traits, and why they were chosen for something specific, even if they weren't chosen but it's their job, find something that they're good at in relation to it. A) It will help you see the good in them, and B) people usually have something to offer and mentioning it can build trust and confidence. Often times people will focus on what they need to improve on and not improving what they're already good at, which can lead to a negative attitude and low confidence. If instead their mentality is built through showing them their strengths, their confidence and then attitude tend to follow, at least in my experience. In the end, you can't motivate people, they have to motivate themselves, but you can show different perspectives which can lead to many positive outcomes.
    hmm. interesting. What you're mentioning is that being a socionics negativist causes self esteem problems in others. I'll think about that. I often focus on telilng people where they are weak and how they can fix it, and spotting what someone is good often takes a bit of thought. I'll have to see about that.