• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Supervising 6's

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION] I definitely hate being micromanaged.

I just want someone to leave me alone, long enough so that I can get some momentum built on my initiative.

If the boss doesn't want me to take initiative then I need them to tell me EXACTLY what my job description is. And I will do everything in that job description perfectly.

I think I'm just all or nothing...I dunno about other E6's though lol

Have you given them a job description?

I mean that is sort of what a boss has to do.

Are you even their boss?

I don't get it. lol

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
actually they are subcontractors. I have no employees. They come into the gym looking to start up their classes. they make a fixed percentage of the money they bring in. So, they are starting a business for whatever sport they teach (breakdancing, martial arts tricking, parkour, etc). Its a pretty simple concept. However, while these guys KNOW from the get go that they will be starting their own businesses, they are still asking me what to do. I tell them, "talk to [marketting guy], get some flyers, make a facebook group, start some craigslist ads, hand out fliers, and go perform places and tell them you work at Urban Acrobatics!"

With that info I still have people asking me "what time should I work?" my answer is, "Let the clients tell you when to work!"

Yet I still have people asking me about times and some other issues. The performance director is, either ISTP 6 or INFJ 6 and comes into my office and thinks out loud about his performances and how he plans on getting everything in order. it can be very exhausting.

rav3n

A CEO's job isn't just to tell people to grow the business, you have to give them direction.

A few suggestions and questions:

• Define the gym image.
  • What's your vision for the gym?
  • What's the growth rate that you wish to target?
  • What demographic/market do you wish to penetrate?
  • Define corporate culture.
  • Do you meet on a regular basis with your key players?
  • Do you provide them with reassurance, once they've provided you with solid plans for how to grow the gym?

Instead of telling them to meet with the marketing guy, have everyone in the same room and let the marketing guy tell everyone what tools he can provide them with, once they've divulged their plans. If they have no plans, then make a few suggestions and brain storm as a team. You want to encourage team support of each other so they're not always coming to you if they get stuck. You want to encourage creative thinking and if you don't communicate, rather than just dictate, you won't get any creative thinking.

What's interesting is that you believe they're all 6s and ENTJs. Considering how few ENTJs exist, it's odd they'd be clumped together as subcontractors.

The other thing you need to learn to hide or somehow change your perception, is your contempt of them or their abilities. This will not work if they're ENTJs. After awhile of taking shit, they're going to split since ENTJs require a modicum of respect.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
actually they are subcontractors. I have no employees. They come into the gym looking to start up their classes. they make a fixed percentage of the money they bring in. So, they are starting a business for whatever sport they teach (breakdancing, martial arts tricking, parkour, etc). Its a pretty simple concept. However, while these guys KNOW from the get go that they will be starting their own businesses, they are still asking me what to do. I tell them, "talk to [marketting guy], get some flyers, make a facebook group, start some craigslist ads, hand out fliers, and go perform places and tell them you work at Urban Acrobatics!"

With that info I still have people asking me "what time should I work?" my answer is, "Let the clients tell you when to work!"

Yet I still have people asking me about times and some other issues. The performance director is, either ISTP 6 or INFJ 6 and comes into my office and thinks out loud about his performances and how he plans on getting everything in order. it can be very exhausting.

I find that odd.

Sounds like the INFJ just wants to be your friend or something...:huh:

If ur saying these exact things...and these people are supposed to be subcontractors....then...I don't get why they're in ur office....

This just sounds like a lost soul...looking for a friend and some feedback.

I forgot 6's neeeeeeeed feedback.

Are they all doing this???? or is it just the infj/mystery/ istp?

I agree...I'd be a little annoyed if people were doing that too, if I were you.

If I were in their shoes...I'd do my own thing...they have a lot of freedom...what's stopping them from bringing in clients and just making their own schedules?

A CEO's job isn't just to tell people to grow the business, you have to give them direction.

• Define the gym image.
  • Do you provide them with reassurance, once they've provided you with solid plans for how to grow the gym?

Instead of telling them to meet with the marketing guy, have everyone in the same room and let the marketing guy tell everyone what tools he can provide them with, once they've divulged their plans. If they have no plans, then make a few suggestions and brain storm as a team. You want to encourage team support of each other so they're not always coming to you if they get stuck. You want to encourage creative thinking and if you don't communicate, rather than just dictate, you won't get any creative thinking.

What's interesting is that you believe they're all 6s and ENTJs. Considering how few ENTJs exist, it's odd they'd be clumped together as subcontractors.

The other thing you need to learn to hide or somehow change your perception, is your contempt of them or their abilities. This will not work if they're ENTJs. After awhile of taking shit, they're going to split since ENTJs require a modicum of respect.

That list is good too!

But andante....um...I don't think DJ is saying they're all ENTJ's...I think he's saying they're all 6's. I think he even said only one was an ENTJ.

But I agree that he's gonna have to hide his opinions of 6's and especially ENTJ 6's if he wants to continue working with them lol.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
See, from my perspective, its not structure you are looking for, its micromanagement.

If the boss doesn't want me to take initiative then I need them to tell me EXACTLY what my job description is. And I will do everything in that job description perfectly.

Right. What they need are your explicit parameters for what is and is not allowable. They're also looking for what you want, because you're the one in charge of the whole operation. Even if they're contractual, they're still subordinate to you, and it's reasonable for them to request information from you. If you're getting the same questions from many people, you need to be compiling those answers and providing them up front - maybe a startup booklet or an orientation - or you need to make it clear from the get-go that you're offering gym space only and not an inclusionary community or business support.

As for the performance director, if you don't want to listen to him planning, tell him you need some time to do your work alone and give him the boot from your office.

6s do love feedback like [MENTION=14015]Inari Love[/MENTION] said. If you can't provide that, maybe you could consider delegating it to your ENFJ 3, who would probably be quite good at it.

Urarienev said:
That and everything that @skylights said. Skylights always has the answer!

Well, I might just talk a lot, but thank you :blush:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION] I definitely hate being micromanaged.

I just want someone to leave me alone, long enough so that I can get some momentum built on my initiative.

I think I'm just all or nothing...I dunno about other E6's though lol

I don't think I ever allowed myself to be micromanaged. I can only think of a couple times it came up earlier in my career and it didn't work out too well. I became resentful, angry and basically got out of there. It may sound strange but somehow I've done what I wanted to my whole career. Managed my day, my week, my month, my year - without much direction at all. Maybe I resist it. It's probably not all good.

• Define the gym image.

I like these suggestions a lot. You can't just tell people to work when their clients want. Most people need a bit more direction than that - those overall parameters. The contempt thing - jeez if it's an INFJ they would see completely through it. Many people would. This is why I got into MBTI to begin with. I couldn't understand why people were acting or thought the way they did when I moved into leadership positions. I can't figure out someone's type half the time but the understanding of the differences that do exist out there makes me more appreciative of how people are not the same and it led to my looking for things to appreciate in everyone for what they bring vs. criticizing how they are different than I am. I can be quite critical but try and use that sparingly when it is important.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I think the word contempt implies a sort of consistency.

I can't hold grudges for people, except when they hurt me daily. I think it often looks like I hold grudges, but... I'm too lazy to give a shit. But if you're my boss and you make me miserable, I'll silently wait until a good opportunity for retribution.