• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Are Type Sixes the hardest people to read in the MBTI?

S

Stansmith

I've noticed type 6s can seem really ambiguous in terms of MBTI type at first glance. ENTP 6s like [MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION], George Carlin, Seth Rogen, Louis CK, Jon Stewart, etc. seem like they use Fi/Te, and some can come off as more self-doubting/insecure than other ENTPs. SP 6s also look drastically different from their non-6 counterparts (ie; Jimmy kimmel vs. the stereotypical ESTP 8w7 badass, Kanye West vs. ISFP 9s). 6w7 + xxxP or xSFJ can seem like xNFPs due to their quirkiness and nervous head energy. After a while you can sort of read what MBTI type they are beneath their Six-ness, but they can be somewhat deceiving if you aren't good at reading out functions.

Anyone else notice this?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Yeah 6w7 is the wild card of the enneagram. It literally correlates with all 16 mbti types. Trying to write a basic 6 description is like trying to write a description of the modern household family in America. Type 6 varies too much to write a truly accurate description.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think 6 is the most diverse and expansive type. People focus so much on the nervous qualities, that they forget the impact 6s have on society, not to mention the sheer pervasiveness of the type. Unlike other types, they are less limited in terms of their skills, interests and influence. It's the last type you want to cram into a tiny, little, stereotyped box.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
5w6 isn't particularly easy to read either. Anything 6 related is hard to read, yes.

S

Stansmith

I think cp6s are the real wild card. An INTJ cp6 can look like an ESTP, an ENFP cp6 can look ENTJ, an INTP will seem ENFP, and a ranty ISTP cp6 can look ENTP. Lots of famous SP cp6s get typed as Ns because they're "brainy", speculative, silly and have animate body movements/facial expressions. An ESFP cp6w7 like Chris Brown can punch his girlfriend, and a social-last 6w7 ISFP like Kanye West can interrupt award shows, and people will peg them as ESTPs based on those instances.

Really, they're usually pretty ambiguous when it comes to F, T, S, N, J, P,E and I based on external behavior because of how contradictory they are. They're scattered, emotional, logical, confrontational, speculative, down-to-earth, silly, and serious all at once.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For sure! This is why I love 6's, you really can't fit them in a box. The three 6's I'm closest to are undoubtedly different MBTI types, though I'm not sure which (heck, I don't even know my own):
  • my all American, hard working, craft-brew loving, Marine brother. ExTx
  • a super outgoing, punky, artistic, Narnia-tatted friend. I'm guessing ENFx here.
  • an introverted, petite and adorable historian friend who loves anime. IxTx

I love that all three are 6's and no one would ever draw lines between them. :D I realize there will be a variety of very different people in every type, but not this much. I'm kind of annoyed that the only other 4 I know, though we have different interests and heritage, resembles me-- I'm not sure if it's physical, the way we carry ourselves, facial expression, or what, but it's something. I haven't seen that resemblance thing with 6's though, it's just too varied.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah I think this is true. Usually if I can't figure out a person's enneatype fairly quickly, they later strike me as being either a 6 or a 9.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a 6 it's hard to put a description on us because we are very subjective to what were being dealt with.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As a 6 it's hard to put a description on us because we are very subjective to what were being dealt with.

That's so true. I feel like the same is true with ISxJs.

Our mental processing patterns make us particularly malleable... in some ways we may embody the zeitgeist.

S

Stansmith

I can recognize Six-ish reactions, interaction styles, body language and coping mechanisms quite easily, but as far as archetypes, there are none.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can recognize Six-ish reactions, interaction styles, body language and coping mechanisms quite easily, but as far as archetypes, there are none.

I love archetypes and what you said made me think and go research. I think two common ones might qualify, at least -

orphan_regular-guy.jpg

2. The Orphan/Regular Guy or Gal
Motto: All men and women are created equal
Core Desire: connecting with others
Goal: to belong
Greatest fear: to be left out or to stand out from the crowd
Strategy: develop ordinary solid virtues, be down to earth, the common touch
Weakness: losing one's own self in an effort to blend in or for the sake of superficial relationships
Talent: realism, empathy, lack of pretense
The Regular Person is also known as: The good old boy, everyman, the person next door, the realist, the working stiff, the solid citizen, the good neighbor, the silent majority.

che-guevara-revolution-poster.jpg

6. The Rebel
Motto: Rules are made to be broken
Core desire: revenge or revolution
Goal: to overturn what isn't working
Greatest fear: to be powerless or ineffectual
Strategy: disrupt, destroy, or shock
Weakness: crossing over to the dark side, crime
Talent: outrageousness, radical freedom
The Outlaw is also known as: The rebel, revolutionary, wild man, the misfit, or iconoclast.

Those are both from soulcast.co.

Also perhaps the Unwilling Hero, the Sidekick, the Threshold Guardian, the Loyalist, the Devil's Advocate, the Bully.

That's all I can think of at the moment but maybe more later. Like I said, I love archetypes :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

Between those two archetypes, you have a strange hodge podge of pretty boys, teenagers, and hipsters.

:laugh: Yep.

I don't wanna include the hipsters, but it's probably true.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Finding a 6's MBTI type can be hard, yes. That's due as much to MBTI stereotypes as 6 stereotypes too. Due to 6s often having a philosophical/intellectual/idealistic streak, I suspect some sensing 6s mistype as intuitive.
As individuals, I don't find 6s hard to read. The type itself is hard to describe because of how the fixation manifests in such a variety of personalities, but the individuals are not usually mysterious. I'm not saying they're simplistic or dull - not at all. I've been fooled by some too, but it was because of manipulation, not their being enigmatic.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Fe doms are the hardest for me to read, at least motivation wise. I usually know they are Fe dominant and go from there but that's about it.

Anyone who doesn't have Fe, its hard for me to identify with anything going on in their head and thus, are difficult for me to read. STJ's and NFP's are mostly alien to me.

As an 8w7, I've been told by an ESFP boss I was extremely difficult to read at first. I'm quiet and say only what needs to be said, and I slowly test everyone's sense of humor and push the boundaries until I know how much room I have to wiggle without getting fired for it. Then I'm suddenly the loudest person in the room once I feel comfortable.

S

Stansmith

All 3 of the attachment types seem to have the most variety in presentation.

3s

drake-gq-magazine-july-2013-style-02.jpg

tv-gandolfini-s-legacyjpg-9ea1dd986cc87ebf.jpg

andy_warhol_cut.jpg

9093234_david_bowie_295778c.jpg

6s

attachment.php

kanye6.jpg

jack_white-and-coke2.jpg

seth-rogen.jpg

oldman.jpg

e_degeneres1_300_400.jpg

Tupac.jpg

9s

Spanky_Beers.jpg

ted.jpg

french-montana-canary-yellow-diamonds-breitling-lv-chain.jpg

bjork4.jpg

rihanna2.jpg

B

brainheart

All 3 of the attachment types seem to have the most variety in presentation.

yeah, 3s, 6s, and 9s are definitely the hardest to figure out. They make me think of the Bermuda Triangle. And when a person has a 369 tritype... watch out.