• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] Why is 8 correlated with Thinking types?

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I also save up lots of money. I was saving up for a car since I was 12, then bought my car when I was 20. I'm extremely frugal as well. I attribute these traits to being a socionics "yielding" dichotomy moreso than enneagram Sp. Don't touch my food, don't touch my things, don't touch my money.

As I engage in these things I also tend to ignore when I'm hungry, I go to the bathroom at the absolute last possible minute, and I tend to hide the fact that I'm in pain at all and don't ask for help until after I gave myself a slip disk from lifting something heavy. Not because I'm stubborn and prideful, but because I legitimately think I can do it myself, and asking for help is too much work.

I'm also a capricorn and my most prominent trait in the big 5 was stability. So its hard to understand why I'm an Sx/So at all, considering Sp is the most grounded instinct. Though many of the exhibitionistic tendencies within Sx/So still remain, although they tend to bug some people so I've had to mute them. Its said that the instinct merely AMPLIFIES traits of your enneagram, so in this case, my "everyone look at me" is pretty high, along with my lust for intensity, which I often have to ignore altogether because it drives me nuts sometimes.
Ah wow.. I can relate to a good portion of this. I have a do-it-yourself mentality as well.

So, can my responsible, frugal, hard-working do-it-yourself mentality be attributed to socionics IEE? Also, the fact that I'm a 4 but I only feel self-conscious when I'm with a man I'm interested in or occasionally when dealing with work/career stuff, and I am otherwise shameless and 'take it or leave it'? I always assumed my lack of social self-consciousness was SO-blind but I'm willing to reconsider. I also spend an absolutely inordinate amount of time alone. I've never met anyone more independent than I, and that is not boasting - it is actually sad; I'm *hopelessly* independent, to the point of my own demise. For instance I want to ravage a boyfriend every night, but I want the entire day to myself and dont' want to be pinned down to hang out or schedule my dinner.. I just want to do my creative work, take walks in nature by myself, etc. I'm reasonably sociable but I'm also content to go very long periods of time with zero social life. In fact if I'm writing a book or working on a project, I'm happier that way. Let me know if you think this pertains to instincts?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Interesting! I have considered it actually, though there are strong arguments throughout my life for Sp... for instance, saving up lots of money and extreme career-focus even at a young age, being very frugal with money, extremely self-preservational when it comes to health, and a clear conflict in romantic relationships.. because I chase after then and then retract, wanting time to myself. But, I'm interested in your perspective because in fact I have considered the possibility. Can you elaborate?

I should mention I relate quite strongly to Naranjo's SP-4, to the point where (you will laugh) I actually considered it could be my first variant. The idea of martyrdom and 'silent suffering' is a theme throughout my life.

Martyrdom and silent suffering are often a part of Fi and as a 4, could very easily fit in with E4 integration.

When I was in the military, one of the lines the navy trainers chanted was always "suffer in silence!" Idunno if that's relevant, but ESTJ's are littered throughout the military, so... yeah. Fi.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
But over time I've learned that seeing others be happy or seeing others fall in love with my visions, are the most rewarding aspects of my life.
These aspects are rewarding to me too, though I'm not sure it's more rewarding than a solitary walk in nature. I wish I could claim otherwise.. [hangs head].. sometimes the level of my own self-involvement sickens me. But I do like being a vessel through which art emerges, and that is communication. I want my work to be a mirror in which others can see themselves; I don't aim for them to merely see me. What I express, ideally, is universal. Because anything I feel on my own, is something that someone else may feel on her own. This is how I connect to Holy Origin, and it is an idea I had long before I encountered enneagram (not to mention I mistyped a few times). I used to write, on my mirror, "Alone, We are All One."

I'm not the best when it comes to instincts but I do relate to sx/so personalities more than sx/sp. My analogy for identifying the two is akin to angels vs demons. the sx/so's are aloft in the clouds and the sx/sp's are writhing in the lake of fire.
Writhing in the lake of fire is exactly me.. heh. I have even described myself or been described by others that way. I mean.. look at my avatar? Haha. That being said I'm still not closed to considering sx/so. I'm far from being in the clouds though. I'm very fiery and present in the moment. Most people guess my star sign as Leo and my enneagram as 8w7 or 7 at a glance.

Martyrdom and silent suffering are often a part of Fi and as a 4, could very easily fit in with E4 integration.

When I was in the military, one of the lines the navy trainers chanted was always "suffer in silence!" Idunno if that's relevant, but ESTJ's are littered throughout the military, so... yeah. Fi.
Makes sense. I think I get that way more when I disintegrate... I see myself as a martyr.. it;s a 4-2 issue as much as a 4-1 issue, depending on its shape.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Ah wow.. I can relate to a good portion of this. I have a do-it-yourself mentality as well.

So, can my responsible, frugal, hard-working do-it-yourself mentality be attributed to socionics IEE? Also, the fact that I'm a 4 but I only feel self-conscious when I'm with a man I'm interested in or occasionally when dealing with work/career stuff, and I am otherwise shameless and 'take it or leave it'? I always assumed my lack of social self-consciousness was SO-blind but I'm willing to reconsider. I also spend an absolutely inordinate amount of time alone. I've never met anyone more independent than I, and that is not boasting - it is actually sad; I'm *hopelessly* independent, to the point of my own demise. For instance I want to ravage a boyfriend every night, but I want the entire day to myself and dont' want to be pinned down to hang out or schedule my dinner.. I just want to do my creative work, take walks in nature by myself, etc. I'm reasonably sociable but I'm also content to go very long periods of time with zero social life. In fact if I'm writing a book or working on a project, I'm happier that way. Let me know if you think this pertains to instincts?

No. ENFp's are, according to theory, "obstinate" which means they're more about protecting their ideas than they are about being stingy with money. The only F's that are super cautious with money are technically going to be SEI, IEI, ESI, and EII. So in other words, ISFJ, INFJ, ISFP, and INFP. So based on your self percieved extroversion I would put you as one of the extroverted subtypes of one of these personalities. A very common mbti mistype is IEI-Fe's thinking they're ENFP's, and EII-Ne's thinking they're ENFP.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
No. ENFp's are, according to theory, "obstinate" which means they're more about protecting their ideas than they are about being stingy with money. The only F's that are super cautious with money are technically going to be SEI, IEI, ESI, and EII. So in other words, ISFJ, INFJ, ISFP, and INFP. So based on your self percieved extroversion I would put you as one of the extroverted subtypes of one of these personalities. A very common mbti mistype is IEI-Fe's thinking they're ENFP's or ENFJ's.
Definitely not a mistype. The only other possibility is INFP. I'm actually not a self-perceived extrovert. It seems I'm a cognitive extrovert, but I am introverted in all other contexts except when I am leading a project.

I am more about protecting my ideas than being stingy wth money actually. Stingy is not how I would describe it; it's more FRUGAL. I don't have that many needs. When I do have a need, I save up for it and do it. For instance I dropped $10,000 to build rooms in a loft apartment which I didn't even own, only to rent out the rooms and live in a tiny loft up above for 5 years so I could work less and focus on music. I saved up for a video camera & blew the rest of my money on props for a music video which I made myself. I'm very do-it-yourself. I went through a very long typing process to figure out my Socionics and Se was the first thing it seemed to be, but it's definitely Ne and Fi as the first two. I'm industrious and I save for the things I want, I don't buy extra crap. I'm buying a baby grand piano next week and then I will have $0 or less in the bank. Less, if I borrow from my parents to get something a little nicer.

When it comes to money it's simply a life-long mindset of prioritizing. It has nothing to do with being stingy but I use the word "frugal" because I figure out what is really important and don't fuck around with inanities. This could be viewed as "protecting my ideas" because I prefer making sure I have the money to enact my best ideas and bring my best visions to life. I don't care about having 20 different jeans; I need 2 jeans and 5 different beautiful white dresses for a music video. My artistic expression is immortal; it is my passion and purpose. Day to day, I can get by with less. This is also part of my mindset of "martyrdom." I have always been a martyr for my work, my expression, my ideas. I'd rather have no social life and give my projects my all.

[MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION] i don't know if you saw this but I edited it a few times. :p

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Definitely not a mistype. The only other possibility is INFP. I'm actually not a self-perceived extrovert. It seems I'm a cognitive extrovert, but I am introverted in all other contexts except when I am leading a project.

I am more about protecting my ideas than being stingy wth money actually. Stingy is not how I would describe it; it's more FRUGAL. I don't have that many needs. When I do have a need, I save up for it and do it. For instance I dropped $10,000 to build rooms in a loft apartment which I didn't even own, only to rent out the rooms and live in a tiny loft up above for 5 years so I could work less and focus on music. I saved up for a video camera & blew the rest of my money on props for a music video which I made myself. I'm very do-it-yourself. I went through a very long typing process to figure out my Socionics and Se was the first thing it seemed to be, but it's definitely Ne and Fi as the first two. I'm industrious and I save for the things I want, I don't buy extra crap. I'm buying a baby grand piano next week and then I will have $0 or less in the bank. Less, if I borrow from my parents to get something a little nicer.

When it comes to money it's simply a life-long mindset of prioritizing. It has nothing to do with being stingy but I use the word "frugal" because I figure out what is really important and don't fuck around with inanities.

I suppose a better analogy would be, I absolutely hate buying anyone dinner, or anything for that matter, and I hate sharing my stuff. One of the biggest things I look for in a partner is the ability to support themselves financially, so I don't have to share anything, lol. When I spend resources, I can feel my chi drop dramatically. This was also a big reason I felt I was an sx/sp over sx/so at first.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I suppose a better analogy would be, I absolutely hate buying anyone dinner, or anything for that matter, and I hate sharing my stuff. One of the biggest things I look for in a partner is the ability to support themselves financially, so I don't have to share anything, lol. When I spend resources, I can feel my chi drop dramatically. This was also a big reason I felt I was an sx/sp over sx/so at first.

I know what you mean on that. I feel two ways about it. I really love paying for friends when I take them out. I'd rather buy them dinner than buy myself dinner. But I don't like doing this for people who *expect* it. I don't want to have a boyfriend who sits on his ass and expects me to pay. I don't want a friend who always expects me to pay. The type of people I hang out with are independent and would do anything for me, and thus it makes me feel amazing to do something for them. But what makes my skin crawl is expectations. I want someone to take me as I am; not to befriend me because I have something material to offer them. But if I know someone's honesty, character, loyalty and intentions are true as mine, then I tell them "order whatever you want" and spend more in that one night than I spent on myself in the last two months. This just simply cannot be a lifestyle because I have a chronic illness and cannot work that much, and must conserve. And also like I said, I need to save for my projects. So it's more like... I severely limit my social life, but when I do see a friend, the sky is the limit. None of my friends would ever disrespect me and take advantage. Those who do, get the boot.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I know what you mean on that. I feel two ways about it. I really love paying for friends when I take them out. I'd rather buy them dinner than buy myself dinner. But I don't like doing this for people who *expect* it. I don't want to have a boyfriend who sits on his ass and expects me to pay. I don't want a friend who always expects me to pay. The type of people I hang out with are independent and would do anything for me, and thus it makes me feel amazing to do something for them. But what makes my skin crawl is expectations. I want someone to take me as I am; not to befriend me because I have something material to offer them. But if I know someone's honesty, character, loyalty and intentions are true as mine, then I tell them "order whatever you want" and spend more in that one night than I spent on myself in the last two months. This just simply cannot be a lifestyle because I have a chronic illness and cannot work that much, and must conserve. And also like I said, I need to save for my projects. So it's more like... I severely limit my social life, but when I do see a friend, the sky is the limit. None of my friends would ever disrespect me and take advantage. Those who do, get the boot.

ok. obstinate would be more about protecting your interests from others in fear of them losing value or being stolen or whatever other reason, and that's more in line with IEE

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
ok. obstinate would be more about protecting your interests from others in fear of them losing value or being stolen or whatever other reason, and that's more in line with IEE

Ah I see. Yeah.. I will confess I'm not that knowledgable about socionics, but I've been through these debates countless times and people always end up saying "You're so IEE it's not even funny" and from studying each function and its meaning, I can be certain Ne and Fi are correct in whatever order; IEE seems to line up with me though.

Having sorted that out, would you still say I'm sx/so? I'm interested :) This is the last thing I'm uncertain of, aside from the last wing on my tritype. Meaning.. I know I'm 4w3-8w7-7(X) Sx/(X) ENFP/IEE. I'm about 90% sure it's Sx/Sp but curious to hear observations.

B

brainheart

I think as far as determining sx/so vs sx/sp goes, it's best to look at the differences between contra-flow and syn-flow (http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/133-Instinctual-Stackings. I think a lot of people mistype as sx/sp, seeing their frugality and self sufficiency more as sp. Thing is, as far as flow goes, sx/so and sp/sx are more similar than sx/sp and sx/so. I actually am a pretty generous, empathetic person, which I misinterpreted as social instinct a couple of times while figuring out my stacking. The better social descriptions, however, I don't relate to at all. But I do relate to syn-flow.

Flow of Instinctual Energies & Compatibility

When we invest our energy, most of it is devoted to fulfillment of our primary instinct. The remaining energy radiates or flows onto the secondary instinct and finally onto the last instinct, which receives the smallest share. There are two possible configurations or directions for this flow. In first configuration, energy is invested in the order of sx→sp→so→sx. This direction gives rise to three stackings: sx/sp, sp/so, so/sx. In the second configuration, energy is invested in the order of sx→so→sp→sx, which gives rise to the other three stackings: sx/so, so/sp and sp/sx.

Syn-flow: sp → so → sx → sp
Stackings involved: sp/so → so/sx → sx/sp → sp/so
Direction: Compelled toward people. Acting upon and with others as a born insider i.e.- deeply human.

Contra-flow: sp → sx → so → sp
Stackings involved: sp/sx → sx/so → so/sp → sp/sx
Direction: Compelled against people. Seething belligerent outsiders; 'antisocial', provoking, reverse-flow change catalysts. In some profound sense, rejecting the human condition, their own and/or that of others.

The two flows move in the opposite directions. This antithesis can be seen if the instinctual stackings are compared in pairs:

so/sx - including, associating, affiliating, networking, incorporating, interconnecting, introducing, unifying, linking, bonding, annexing, cooperating, receiving
sx/so - excluding, eliminating, dividing, separating, contradicting, subverting, confronting, rebuffing, ridiculing, challenging, interrupting, reforming, rupturing

sx/sp - intensifying, escalating, rising, surging, enlivening, invigorating, accelerating, stimulating, energizing, vitalizing, reviving, animating, inspiriting
sp/sx - dulling, calming, quieting, grounding, descending, lowering, dampening, numbing, desensitizing, exhausting, deadening, extinguishing, making still

sp/so - conserving, protecting, maintaining, preserving, supplying, repairing, sustaining, stewarding
so/sp - utilizing, employing, implementing, expending, exercising, spending, capitalizing, expropriating

B

brainheart

I'm not the best when it comes to instincts but I do relate to sx/so personalities more than sx/sp. My analogy for identifying the two is akin to angels vs demons. the sx/so's are aloft in the clouds and the sx/sp's are writhing in the lake of fire.

I think sx/so is more like Lucifer thumbing his nose at God. I am invincible! I can do whatever the fuck I want! Sx/sp is more of the restless seeker who will never feel satisfied.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I think sx/so is more like Lucifer thumbing his nose at God. I am invincible! I can do whatever the fuck I want! Sx/sp is more of the restless seeker who will never feel satisfied.

hmm, interesting. good point with the contraflow btw.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
werd2-540x375.jpg

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I think as far as determining sx/so vs sx/sp goes, it's best to look at the differences between contra-flow and syn-flow (http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/133-Instinctual-Stackings. I think a lot of people mistype as sx/sp, seeing their frugality and self sufficiency more as sp. Thing is, as far as flow goes, sx/so and sp/sx are more similar than sx/sp and sx/so. I actually am a pretty generous, empathetic person, which I misinterpreted as social instinct a couple of times while figuring out my stacking. The better social descriptions, however, I don't relate to at all. But I do relate to syn-flow.
Nice post. :)

I can see elements of myself in Sx/Sp and Sx/So at different times according to this chart. :unsure: I'm definitely not belligerent or anti-social though. Independent, but not *anti* social. It's more.. I am compelled toward people when I want to be, and the rest of the time I want to be left alone.

I would not say that I'm an insider though.. I'm hopelessly independent. I'm a loner, a lover, or a leader. But I'm not an outsider in the "rebellious" "belligerent" sense. It's more like I want to bring visions of my home planet to Earth and share them, and I find myself thinking independently. I'm not against the idea of adopting another's views; I am simply incapable.. I just don't work that way, I think for myself. I respect others' views and lifestyle choices even if they don't agree with me. I respect their right to exist and have their views even if they can't back them up substantially, but when someone has integrity within herself, I respect her as someone I'd like to know better, whether we agree or not. If someone agrees with me but has no integrity and just adopted their view like a sheep, I am not angry or belligerent but just simply uninterested.

When it comes to art and music, while I'm brave enough to break boundaries and expand limits, that's not exactly my aim. Honest self-expression is all I do, whether it's banal, insane, catchy or wild. I couldn't give a fuck whether it's unique, whether this genre has been done before, or whether it's with or against a current trend. Rebelling is the same as complying; it's still letting others control you, being enslaved by their standards. Nobody can control me. I march to my own drum and have nothing to prove. This has been the case since I was a child, making my own rules with my parents and obeying the ones I saw fit. I kept a bag packed so I could run away - at age 7 or 8 - if they forced me to do something I didn't want; and there was no forcing me; but I didn't mind obeying rules I respected and understood. As an adult I'm the same - no boyfriend, social standard, or institution can control me. I have basic respect - if I'm in school I follow their rules, if I'm in someone's house I follow theirs.. I'm extremely respectful. But when it comes to my clothes, my friends, my boyfriends, my work - my choices are mine alone, regardless of what other artists are doing or what the industry wants or doesn't want. As long as it's bare, honest, and true, I'm deeply involved and you can't pry my attention from my work with a crane.

"Alone, We are All One." That is my policy with art. If I feel it on my own, someone else feels it too. And if I express it then I become a vessel through which a universal sentiment is being expressed. And if I release it then I are reaching out into the universe and potentially becoming a mirror for others. What really communicates is honesty, but on a more visceral level, honesty is the only thing that's satisfying and the only thing that brings me catharsis.

B

brainheart

[MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION], if you mean insider as in social insider, I'm not either, and I don't care to be (not that I feel a need to be an outsider, either, though. I'm just indifferent). I think there's more of a merging, conflict averse element to sx/sp that isn't present in sx/so. I think it has to do with the sx/sp's motivation to reconcile inner conflict. (Motivation: to know the heart, reconcile inner conflict, form a secure union.) The sx/sp knows how it is to feel deep conflict within and how painful it can be, so they are less likely to heap their pain on others- there's more empathy and identifying with others. Also, the desire for union would obviously make a person more conflict averse. On the other hand, sx/so is more provocative, more about smashing walls and inciting change. (Motivation: to impact others, question assumptions, challenge convention.) I think there can be more of a us vs them or me vs them mentality in the sx/so. Life just seems to be more of a battle for the sx/so, while for the sx/sp, the battle is more internal.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
[MENTION=17911]Animal[/MENTION], if you mean insider as in social insider, I'm not either, and I don't care to be (not that I feel a need to be an outsider, either, though. I'm just indifferent). I think there's more of a merging, conflict averse element to sx/sp that isn't present in sx/so. I think it has to do with the sx/sp's motivation to reconcile inner conflict. (Motivation: to know the heart, reconcile inner conflict, form a secure union.) The sx/sp knows how it is to feel deep conflict within and how painful it can be, so they are less likely to heap their pain on others- there's more empathy and identifying with others. Also, the desire for union would obviously make a person more conflict averse. On the other hand, sx/so is more provocative, more about smashing walls and inciting change. (Motivation: to impact others, question assumptions, challenge convention.) I think there can be more of a us vs them or me vs them mentality in the sx/so. Life just seems to be more of a battle for the sx/so, while for the sx/sp, the battle is more internal.

Thank you for your poignant posts. Right now, I'm going to say that for me, Sx/Sp it is. That makes much more sense for my mentality. Indifference, and the battle within.. ftw. :) What is your tritype by the way?

Btw, I want to mention that I'm not bringing this up lightly. I've studied enneagram for years, and very thoroughly this past year. I've read all the enneagram greats, debated on another forum and considered many angles. Debating my instinct isn't some idiocy based on stereotypes. So the fact that you're actually making sense to me speaks well for your posts. Once the facts are in place, I respond best to a description or distinction that evokes a feeling I can relate to.

B

brainheart

Thank you for your poignant posts. Right now, I'm going to say that for me, Sx/Sp it is. That makes much more sense for my mentality. Indifference, and the battle within.. ftw. :) What is your tritype by the way?

Btw, I want to mention that I'm not bringing this up lightly. I've studied enneagram for years, and very thoroughly this past year. I've read all the enneagram greats, debated on another forum and considered many angles. Debating my instinct isn't some idiocy based on stereotypes. So the fact that you're actually making sense to me speaks well for your posts. Once the facts are in place, I respond best to a description or distinction that evokes a feeling I can relate to.

Thanks for the compliments. Based on what you've written I would go with sx/sp as well for you.

Ah... tritype. I'm not fond of it. I considered all the permutations but, seriously, the only one that wholly makes sense to me is 451. It does what I do. And maybe that's why I'm not fond, because all of that is explained without tritype.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Thanks for the compliments. Based on what you've written I would go with sx/sp as well for you.

Ah... tritype. I'm not fond of it. I considered all the permutations but, seriously, the only one that wholly makes sense to me is 451. It does what I do. And maybe that's why I'm not fond, because all of that is explained without tritype.
The way I feel, enneagram is just a theory anyway. Tritype is a theory within that theory. I can understand why tritype "confuses" people and keeps them from finding their core, so there's that argument; certainly I would advise a n00b to figure out her core before worrying about tritype.

I can be explained with or without tritype. If someone wants to go the tritype route, then within that theory basis, I'm a clear 4-8-7. But you could argue that this is just 4w3 (w3 seems 7ish or 8ish) along with Sx/Sp (which seems id-like) and ENFP/IEE to boot. If someone wants to throw out tritype, my theory of my type works. If they want to use tritype, my theory of my tritype works. So yeah.. it's not necessary but it's a language. I figure if there's a language being spoken on a site I am on, I might as well be fluent in it. On top of that, my 8 mistype opened my eyes *so much* about myself. In the 6 months I mistyped at 8, I really dug and looked inward and grew more than I imagined I could from such a study - especially being that I'm pretty self-aware to begin with (even if I couldn't immediately match the right number to it because of needing to study enneagram more deeply). An alternate explanation for my 8-fix is that I've been an artist, musician and 'vessel through which stories emerge' all my life so it was especially easy for me to see myself "inside out" or feel my inverse. There are all sorts of angles I could take. But studying growth-patterns of both 4 and 8.. is worthwhile for me, so I personally don't discard tritype in my own self-study. But I don't need it at this point, either, and core is absolutely more important and enlightening... so.. I'm willing to 'take it or leave it.'

B

brainheart

The way I feel, enneagram is just a theory anyway. Tritype is a theory within that theory. I can understand why tritype "confuses" people and keeps them from finding their core, so there's that argument; certainly I would advise a n00b to figure out her core before worrying about tritype.

I can be explained with or without tritype. If someone wants to go the tritype route, then within that theory basis, I'm a clear 4-8-7. But you could argue that this is just 4w3 (w3 seems 7ish or 8ish) along with Sx/Sp (which seems id-like) and ENFP/IEE to boot. If someone wants to throw out tritype, my theory of my type works. If they want to use tritype, my theory of my tritype works. So yeah.. it's not necessary but it's a language. I figure if there's a language being spoken on a site I am on, I might as well be fluent in it. On top of that, my 8 mistype opened my eyes *so much* about myself. In the 6 months I mistyped at 8, I really dug and looked inward and grew more than I imagined I could from such a study - especially being that I'm pretty self-aware to begin with (even if I couldn't immediately match the right number to it because of needing to study enneagram more deeply). An alternate explanation for my 8-fix is that I've been an artist, musician and 'vessel through which stories emerge' all my life so it was especially easy for me to see myself "inside out" or feel my inverse. There are all sorts of angles I could take. But studying growth-patterns of both 4 and 8.. is worthwhile for me, so I personally don't discard tritype in my own self-study. But I don't need it at this point, either, and core is absolutely more important and enlightening... so.. I'm willing to 'take it or leave it.'

Fair enough. It's not like I'm anti-tritype or anything, I just haven't felt all that enlightened by it so I tend to not pay attention to it. But if it helps someone else out, cool. For me, the biggest things have been core + wing and instincts.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Fair enough. It's not like I'm anti-tritype or anything, I just haven't felt all that enlightened by it so I tend to not pay attention to it. But if it helps someone else out, cool. For me, the biggest things have been core + wing and instincts.

I definitely agree that this is the biggest thing. How do you relate to your wing? Was it hard to figure out? Do you feel your 3 influence ?