First 123

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Put on own life mask before assisting others?
    Precisely.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    When do you value honesty? Sounds like it's not honesty nor deception you really value, but justice.
    After writing some stuff down and just thinking about it, I definitely hold justice in high regard but even more than that I value logic/rationality which I think is the foundation of justice. The more I've thought about this I've realized that generally when I get into a heated debate it's because I view the person with whom I'm having the discussion as being irrational. Similarly when justice is being violated, I view the offender(s) as being irrational, or else they would know better. This is probably why I got my B.S. in philosophy.

But despite the value I place in logic, it doesn't seem like it would equate to the passion that an artist, athlete, or a scientist possesses for his/her particular form or field. And maybe the key to this is that these individuals at least feel like they have something to add to the conversation, whether that be a new piece, new record, or new discovery. While these individuals may not be fully engaged 100% of the time (an unrealistic goal in my opinion), they are completely emotionally, physically, and mentally engaged when it comes to their passion; when they are in their element. That's what I envy, the complete and utter devotion that these men and women possess for their passions and the enjoyment that they receive from these passions in turn.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    After writing some stuff down and just thinking about it, I definitely hold justice in high regard but even more than that I value logic/rationality which I think is the foundation of justice. The more I've thought about this I've realized that generally when I get into a heated debate it's because I view the person with whom I'm having the discussion as being irrational. Similarly when justice is being violated, I view the offender(s) as being irrational, or else they would know better. This is probably why I got my B.S. in philosophy.
    That's definitely a good start. Now... what other values / principles, besides reason, do you hold in high regard? What makes you unique isn't just how you use reason, but how you combine reason with the other things you find important and are skilled at.

Here's a list of Benjamin Franklin's (ENTP, I strongly suspect) 13 virtues if you desire some inspiration, although don't limit yourself to just this list:
    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/0...-life-wrap-up/

But despite the value I place in logic, it doesn't seem like it would equate to the passion that an artist, athlete, or a scientist possesses for his/her particular form or field. And maybe the key to this is that these individuals at least feel like they have something to add to the conversation, whether that be a new piece, new record, or new discovery. While these individuals may not be fully engaged 100% of the time (an unrealistic goal in my opinion), they are completely emotionally, physically, and mentally engaged when it comes to their passion; when they are in their element. That's what I envy, the complete and utter devotion that these men and women possess for their passions and the enjoyment that they receive from these passions in turn.
    The state of physical, emotional and mental passion you are referring to is commonly referred to as "flow". (Clicky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)) You are absolutely right; flow can't be maintained indefinitely. But after reading your post, I 100% believe it's a state you are capable of achieving. (I don't think you'd recognize and envy others who reach such a state if it wasn't inherently part of your mental makeup. You can learn a lot about yourself by what you notice in others.)

If a mathematician can engage in flow and passion while solving a challenging proof, surely you can do something similar with reason. The hard part is figuring out what part of the "conversation" you wish to contribute to. That, for a 9, can be challenging, especially when you spend more time focusing on what others are saying instead of finding your own voice first.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

that unhealthy 9 doesn't look good.