User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Slothless-ness

Enneagram
    N/A

Post Slothless-ness

I found this on PerC and I wanted to see if other 9s can relate to this (if other types relate to this too, please let me know). There wasn't a lot of responses on the thread I found it in.

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/fo...1#.UhDyLZJReSo

Here are some exerpts or something that I found interesting.
    ...Sure, I think this guy was on shrooms and weed... but hey, you never know. It could be us out =P

I've come to the realization that I'm a particular kind of 9 that is not described at all in the literature, which I have given the term "counter-slothic nine." It is exactly as you described. Counter-slothic 9s focus so much on being aware, and fear not being aware of themselves, that they over-indulge in introspection to the point that they actually become asleep to themselves and living their lives. Introspection becomes a substitute for actually living their lives and showing up and drawing attention to themselves.
    And I kind of liked this part a lot...

Another element of sloth is that I've maintained an extremely strong connection to the essential realm. I've had deep imitations of the ultimate nature of reality, and the experience on mushrooms revealed to me the ultimate truth of existence, the boundless dimensions, non-duality, quintessence, and the fundamental suchness, oneness, unity, and interconnectivity of the universe. Even though I have these incredibly deep insight into true nature, I'm too lazy to actually live according to my truth. Perhaps this is because I have to fundamentally confront my lack of having a pearl.... the identification that I am not a human being, I am not my body, I am not this existence. I have to confront the nullity of who I am and my entire life, and I'm fundamentally too attached to sex and food and music and movies and video games to realize my true nature. I would prefer to live this relatively comfortable life than to have to face the ultimate pain at the core of my ego. This is a state of complete and utter deficiency - that my soul itself is not good enough to deserve to exist. I don't deserve to be human, I'm not good enough to exist. It is like being the ugliest most wretched being in the universe, with a complete lack of value.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Seems the unhealthy side of the coin. On the upside, it can be the source of wisdom and timing with little heed to unimportant matters. Here is a page dedicated to us 9's : http://similarminds.com/enneagram/type9.html
    I N V I C T U S

I think this is probably why 9s mistype themselves as 4s. I certainly did it.

I used to consider myself a very introspective person but I've come to realize that I have less self-awareness than I thought I did. I'm most comfortable operating on a happy, instinctual, unheeding level, just engaging my environment and keeping myself busy and doing stuff and not really thinking about much else at all.

Real introspection is painful and I often don't know what to do with the conclusions, which is unpleasant.

So basically nines over-analyze themselves and don't live their lives, is that what you're saying?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Enneagram
    N/A

First off: YAY! I was expecting this to be ignored... but that fact that just three people responded... is like I become God lol jkjk... ahem *seriousface*
    @gromit ...
    So basically nines over-analyze themselves and don't live their lives, is that what you're saying?
    It's not what I am saying. I haven't studied enough to have a firm idea on what a nine is, but I can see that as a logical explanation of what it means to be a nine. If it's not what nines can do... then what types do that?

Enneagram
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    Seems the unhealthy side of the coin. On the upside, it can be the source of wisdom and timing with little heed to unimportant matters. Here is a page dedicated to us 9's : http://similarminds.com/enneagram/type9.html
    ...Yeah, I've been to that website a lot (...well, I've never seen that description before but I use to take enneagram tests... I always get nine no matter what =P)
    But do you think that the description is somehow enough to encompass all that a nine could be?

Enneagram
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    I think this is probably why 9s mistype themselves as 4s. I certainly did it.

I used to consider myself a very introspective person but I've come to realize that I have less self-awareness than I thought I did. I'm most comfortable operating on a happy, instinctual, unheeding level, just engaging my environment and keeping myself busy and doing stuff and not really thinking about much else at all.

Real introspection is painful and I often don't know what to do with the conclusions, which is unpleasant.
    awh ...that made me sad lol.

But you're right, especially about mistyping.

What makes you think you have less self-awareness compared to a four (or any other type)? Also, what aspects of you made you think you were a four, if you don't mind?
    Last edited by thoughtlost; 08-18-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: ...more thoughts... thoughtlost always has more thoughts... =/

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtlost View Post
    First off: YAY! I was expecting this to be ignored... but that fact that just three people responded... is like I become God lol jkjk... ahem *seriousface*
    @gromit ...

It's not what I am saying. I haven't studied enough to have a firm idea on what a nine is, but I can see that as a logical explanation of what it means to be a nine. If it's not what nines can do... then what types do that?
    I wouldn't say that what I wrote before as the definition of a nine. I could see maybe a nine doing it, but it doesn't really seem like the defining characteristic. I think of nines as wanting things to be happy and easy, avoiding conflict as a general rule.

@Thursday's link seems pretty straight-on.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtlost View Post
    awh ...that made me sad lol.

But you're right, especially about mistyping.

What makes you think you have less self-awareness compared to a four (or any other type)?
    I have a hard time recognizing when I'm upset. Other people often have to point out that I seem angry or sad before I fully grasp it myself and go, "Oh, you know what, you're right." And then, once I've done that, I have to figure out what's making me feel out of sorts, which can also be difficult because I'm always unconsciously at work on making things right between me and the world.

This doesn't apply to very severe situations which pose direct threats to something I hold dear, just kind of the ordinary everyday stuff that I don't really notice but gets me down after a while.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

If you ever think that us 9s are harmless and this sloth is at all tied to impudence, you're right. However, once we develop a rhythm, we are not so soft. You ever try to dissuade a mountain? Peaceful and calming, yet imposing. There's this African proverb that I think is apt : "It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man." Not to say that repressed rage is psychotic, but if you apply it accordingly, HARMONIOUSLY, you get things done with little fan fare. Much like a ninja or something as quiet and deadly.
    I N V I C T U S