User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Slothless-ness

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    This is spot on. I came to this realization about 2-2.5 years ago, when I put a chunk of my self-help books on my bed and took a picture of them all.

I won't say that I didn't change anything, but my focus on self-help and awareness was a distraction from actually making changes.
    LOL... I have this belief that if I possess a tome of knowledge whether it be through some gigantic encyclopedic massive creation that bends light and gravity because its that massive or a magazine pamphlet... that somehow just possessing this item near me means that I am making changes.

Anew Leaf

This is spot on. I came to this realization about 2-2.5 years ago, when I put a chunk of my self-help books on my bed and took a picture of them all.

I won't say that I didn't change anything, but my focus on self-help and awareness was a distraction from actually making changes.
    LOL... I have this belief that if I possess a tome of knowledge whether it be through some gigantic encyclopedic massive creation that bends light and gravity because its that massive or a magazine pamphlet... that somehow just possessing this item near me means that I am making changes.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    It's kind of like buying an encyclopedia set and then saying you know the ways of the world.

Knowledge... knowledge is easy. Applied knowledge... That's hard.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Thanks for this, an interesting read:

Nine: Hyperactivity
    The passion of Nines is sloth and the counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of activity. Nines are then hyperactive, perpetually agitated and overloaded with tasks. Although they often produce quantities of work effectively, idleness is still present: these activities are practical but have the effect that the more Nines do, the more they forget themselves. This counterpassion is one of the first we observed, and we interpreted it at the time that these Nines use work and activities as a means of narcotisation (their principal defense mechanism).
    An even more subtle form of Nine's counterpassion is a hyperactive pursuit personal development. Such Nines devour books, workshops, therapists, and gurus. They profess to thirst after self-knowledge; however, they end up spinning their wheels, changing nothing.
    This is very interesting. I know a 9w8 that does this. He's very introspective and has an excellent understanding of what he need to do but does very little in the way of consistently putting it into practice. It's almost like he gets fired up but then slowly smolders back out over time...a cycle of this. It's too bad...he'd be pretty freaking formidable if he could keep his fire lit.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

I find my slothfulness re-enforcing my core beliefs, -
    I have the habit of carefully selecting only the information which re-enforces what i already believe, and forget the the rest........

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

It's kind of like buying an encyclopedia set and then saying you know the ways of the world.

Knowledge... knowledge is easy. Applied knowledge... That's hard.
    Couldn't agree more with this statement

Enneagram
    N/A

@PimpinMcBoltage

I think I agree with your statement that there can be nines who don't truly invest in friends. I know one nine (but I think she is SP) who finds it intrusive that someone would call her a BFF or whatever. It's not that she isn't appreciative of it... but that puts too much pressure on her. I sort of feel the same even though I am not a nine (at least not core).
    You are so arbitrary.