User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When down in the dumps, do you retreat entirely inside your head?

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Can I go too?
    Yes, we can go anonymously together!!

... like Thelma and Louise, International style.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

173 so/sx

Not a 5, but I'm the same way. Inferior Fi + disintegrating to 4 = extra extra moodiness when feeling down. I'll go about my daily business, but without as much energy, and completely silently, because even the slightest hint of outward expression could open the floodgates. Staying that way for long enough will usually calm me down. I'll recognize in the moment that the waves of anger and guilt are creating the thought processes, not the other way around.

When that doesn't work, it's usually b/c the bad mood is on the existential side and I can't reason my way out of it. In those situations, it gets more like the other posts on the thread and thus more like depression. Worst case scenario, I'll distract myself with mind-numbing activities, sleep too late and too little, not eat enough, and drink more heavily when I do drink. (Same frequency, though. Biweekly?)
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Temporal Mechanic. Array Lexicon's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

If I'm particularly low- I'm tired. I sleep to try to reset my brain.
    Under stress, I miss meals & disintegrate if I don't pay attention.. making me more tired, feel shittier. Perpetual.
    I'm in my head all the time in general, even when engaged, if that makes sense. I emotionally disengage, to some degree, when very stressed. I may or may not interact. I may be ok for superficial group discussions but avoid 1:1 contact. I may suddenly feel like a bag of bricks & quickly depart. My indifference makes some people uneasy, but I often mask it with humor- for my own sake, and theirs. The rest of me is curled up inside myself, trying to deal with.. whatever the fuck's upsetting me.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

trapped in zoobilee zoo Array Osprey's Avatar

Coming out of it. Yes.

But yeah, I'm always in my head, but when I'm healthy, things outside "reach" me. When I'm in a funk, they don't reach me. There is a wall around me.

Curiously, what seemed to bring me out of it was a combination of sound advice to grapple with and a busy day at work. To me, this suggests that there are ways out... and it's not just a matter of riding it out. I need to find something outside of me to get absorbed with, I think, and I'll be ok.
    Free me from Zoobilee Zoo...

know ⏩ assist ⏩ survive Array Alaska's Avatar
    4w5 sx/sp
    ESI Fi

This does happen to me, at least once it did rather badly. The not eating/not sleeping version: I'll do more of both things when I'm feeling better.
    4w5 6w7 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Certainly when I go through something terrible, my instincts are to pretty much shut everyone else out. I'm a little less extreme when going about it nowadays, though.

I'm a get prone on something comfy and let oblivion take over kind of person. I was really burnt out yesterday, lack of sleep, too many tricky people in my vicinity, no food all day. I went to the hotel, closed the drapes and died. Some days you just need to close the door on it and come back to reality when you can give a shit.

5w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I've noticed when I feel shitty, I tend to really withdraw into my head. I ignore my physical environment, and become even more of a slob then I am already. I lose my appetite. I keep everything outside my head as far away as possible. Am I alone with this?
    Seems pretty normal to me. Although I'm pretty sure I'm already on the verge of insanity anyway.

Senior Member Array Alea_iacta_est's Avatar

As a 5w4, I do retreat back into my head when I'm depressed, but after a while I reach a point of just serenity, detaching from all of my emotions and stress that have created this state, and I begin introspecting and solving various problems that relate and don't relate to the issue at hand. After being disconnected from my emotions and having solved a couple of problems, my self-confidence is usually boosted and my 8 fix starts coming out of hiding and gives me an extreme self-esteem high. It's sort of like a "Look at the shit you just solved in your head, we (I) can handle anything! Fuck these problems and this stress, we're on top of the world."

When I am down, which is extremely rare, but does happen, I want to dig a hole, crawl in and pull the dirt in behind me so no one can find me.

In reality, I hide...just go for a walk into the woods and turn off outside communications and texts, no pcs, etc. cause I'm hiding.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese