User Tag List

123 Last

Society

Question 7's & positive thinking

stolen from here:
    Sevens also use positive thinking — or more accurately, abolish all negative thinking — to keep their demons at bay, which means they don't like anything that makes them feel sad, bad, or angry. Sevens are often willing to do whatever it takes to suppress, deny, or sublimate any problems or hurtful feelings by thinking about something else or keeping themselves frenetically busy until you let it drop.
    is this sort of "think positive!" attitude an integral part of being a 7?
    do you relate to that at all? have you always being like that?
    are there any reasons that a particular 7 might not be?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i relate to that yes but it's not as tho we don't have moments of being pissed off and rant in our heads about it or to someone else if there's someone nearby

i don't know if it's a 7 thing...but i have a quick temper. i can be all raaaawwrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then...deep breath...rationalize...intellectualize... empathize...spin positive...feel better.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILE

Lady X,

Are you a 7w8 by any chance? That would definitely explain the quick temper.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl28 View Post
    Lady X,

no...i don't think so. i'm too 6 ish and not enough 8ish. haha

and really...i don't think anyone other than my bf or exhusband would ever see that quick temper...so i'm not sure it's as significant as it may have sounded.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

@Mane
    this sounds accurate. I initially didn't think I was positive outlook because I associated it with the kumbaya/"yay! let's all be a big happy family! " line of thinking more common in 2s and 9w1s. 7's positive outlook is more about framing and ignoring that which is inconvenient, mundane or painful (physically or psychologically)

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl28 View Post
    Lady X,
    both subtypes of 7 are fairly aggressive in pursuing their needs/desires and putting a stop to anything in the way of their freedom or well being.
    in the case of @Lady X, it's likely Sx dom (most Sx doms are pretty fiery and intense) + the 9w8 fix (sudden flashes of intense anger which dissipates quickly)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

oh yeah the sxness...fiery..thats a better description maybe. i'm also a fire dragon rawwrrr haha
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

@tanstaafl28 theoretically you express both wings (6 and 8). even if one may be more expressed than the other... so it makes sense for her...

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    7's positive outlook is more about framing and ignoring that which is inconvenient, mundane or painful (physically or psychologically)
    hmm... somewhat problematic for my self-typing: i generally tend to face that head's on most of the time, delving into it, sometimes focusing on it, getting what i can form it. i can even have quite the emo side (though it's often strongly tempered with "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" approach).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    hmm... somewhat problematic for my self-typing: i generally tend to face that head's on most of the time, delving into it, sometimes focusing on it, getting what i can form it. i can even have quite the emo side (though it's often strongly tempered with "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" approach).
    you don't vibe all the 7 to me but i'm not sure we've talked much either.

maybe 8w7?
    -Jim Morrison

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I definitely run away from bad feelings. I'll put on some loud music, fill my schedule up with fun stuff, zone out on the computer, or do whatever I need to fill myself up with something else. Even when I do get down or angry, I try to make that an 'experience' too. Maybe angry or sad music, a bath, burn incense, kind of wallowing in an optimally pleasurable environment.

@Lady X What you said about flare-ups just in front of those closest to you is definitely true. I usually maintain my optimistic demeanor with others, but my poor husband has to listen to me getting fired up sometimes. In those cases, it's exactly how you described. I get it out, think about it, calm down and try to discuss it and understand my feelings, then try to look forward in a positive way.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.