• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7's & positive thinking

tanstaafl28

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
[MENTION=16595]tanstaafl28[/MENTION] theoretically you express both wings (6 and 8). even if one may be more expressed than the other... so it makes sense for her...

Greetings pinkgraffiti! Given my own situation as a rather social 5w6, I am willing to admit there are always exceptions, however, given that 8 is in the gut/anger triad and 6 is in the head/fear triad, (even taking into account the possibility that their six wing is counterphobic) I would think one would be more pervasive than the other.

tanstaafl28

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION]
this sounds accurate. I initially didn't think I was positive outlook because I associated it with the kumbaya/"yay! let's all be a big happy family! :D" line of thinking more common in 2s and 9w1s. 7's positive outlook is more about framing and ignoring that which is inconvenient, mundane or painful (physically or psychologically)

both subtypes of 7 are fairly aggressive in pursuing their needs/desires and putting a stop to anything in the way of their freedom or well being.
in the case of [MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION], it's likely Sx dom (most Sx doms are pretty fiery and intense) + the 9w8 fix (sudden flashes of intense anger which dissipates quickly)

I have not explored tritype wings as yet, so perhaps I am at a disadvantage here.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure if we are on the same page from a contextual point of view.

yeah well, if you take notice, i'm not exactly talking about abstract stuff here. i'm a 7 so if i defend the fact that both wings are important then i'm talking for a personal perspective. I feel the 7 in me, i feel the 8 and i feel the 6 too. just turn it on your side for a sec, i'm sure you feel the 4 in you as well. life is not black & white and the enneagram either.

S

Society

yeah well, if you take notice, i'm not exactly talking about abstract stuff here. i'm a 7 so if i defend the fact that both wings are important then i'm talking for a personal perspective. I feel the 7 in me, i feel the 8 and i feel the 6 too. just turn it on your side for a sec, i'm sure you feel the 4 in you as well. life is not black & white and the enneagram either.

makes me wonder - what assumptions are required for the enneagram to work?

MBTI names traits and assumes which ones are conflicting in order to group them, but enneagram makes a list of traits, organizes them in an elegant pattern and assumes the list should cover everything... that's a very big assumption. not big - huge - it's a tiny constellation declaring the rest of the universe is merely it's own reflection.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
makes me wonder - what assumptions are required for the enneagram to work?

MBTI names traits and assumes which ones are conflicting in order to group them, but enneagram makes a list of traits, organizes them in an elegant pattern and assumes the list should cover everything... that's a very big assumption. not big - huge - it's a tiny constellation declaring the rest of the universe is merely it's own reflection.

i know. coincidence, i was thinking the same about an hour ago and went to PubMed (www.pubmed.com) to check out the theory the enneagram is based on. i found only 3 articles on the enneagram, in comparison to over 200 for the MBTI. I also found that there is zero scientific backup to the enneagram: whereas MBTI is super backed up by statistical analysis, the enneagram seems to pertain to the field of mysticism. i still dont understand the reason for the 9 types...just someone decided it had to be like that, right? i mean, the greeks, the romans, the renaissance people...throughout centuries there have the theories of the 4 types of people, 4 types of blood etc...now it's 9. great, more diversity, more precise. perfect. but why not 16 like MBTI? why not 100? why not 100 million? there needs to be a sturdy theory behind the enneagram and so far i'm not convinced.

that said, i just found a really cool video on type 7 that i really identify with. it also kinda left me wondering: the way of success and enlightenment for type 7 is to stop relax and focus on the present and what you are doing. right? but what does that lead to? what's the interest in that? am i supposed to become more enlightened out of sitting down? what if what i'm doing is boring? i don't get it. i'd like to be a wiser and more complete person, but i dont see how being slower can help me get there (maybe im stupid)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i know. coincidence, i was thinking the same about an hour ago and went to PubMed (www.pubmed.com) to check out the theory the enneagram is based on. i found only 3 articles on the enneagram, in comparison to over 200 for the MBTI. I also found that there is zero scientific backup to the enneagram: whereas MBTI is super backed up by statistical analysis, the enneagram seems to pertain to the field of mysticism. i still dont understand the reason for the 9 types...just someone decided it had to be like that, right? i mean, the greeks, the romans, the renaissance people...throughout centuries there have the theories of the 4 types of people, 4 types of blood etc...now it's 9. great, more diversity, more precise. perfect. but why not 16 like MBTI? why not 100? why not 100 million? there needs to be a sturdy theory behind the enneagram and so far i'm not convinced.

that said, i just found a really cool video on type 7 that i really identify with. it also kinda left me wondering: the way of success and enlightenment for type 7 is to stop relax and focus on the present and what you are doing. right? but what does that lead to? what's the interest in that? am i supposed to become more enlightened out of sitting down? what if what i'm doing is boring? i don't get it. i'd like to be a wiser and more complete person, but i dont see how being slower can help me get there (maybe im stupid)

that video is fantastic! he's totally right...and i do that sometimes...remind myself to be present...pay attention to the people in the room etc...

it's funny that we have to remind ourselves to do that...i wonder if se 7's have to as much??

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
that video is fantastic! he's totally right...and i do that sometimes...remind myself to be present...pay attention to the people in the room etc...

it's funny that we have to remind ourselves to do that...i wonder if se 7's have to as much??

Yeah, they do! My 7 esfp sister can be like this but only if she's not getting stimulated. Talking or spending time with her can be like baiting a line with one of those sparkly things and then leading her on a chase to catch it. If she gets bored, she'll just leave or dismiss the person.

It's good for me, though because she's really tolerant of my quick changes in topic.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION]pinkgrafitti[/MENTION] Thanks for sharing that video. Geez, that guy hit a lot of things spot on. "If you're a 7, good luck with that" at the end was just perfect, haha.

All of those questions you asked at the end about being a successful and enlightened 7 are issues I've been trying to resolve for myself as well. The way I interpreted his advice for being present in the moment was to try to get caught up in the wonder or thrill of wherever we are. Like, oh, I'm walking. The air feels great on my face; I can bounce to the beat of a song in my head; isn't it fascinating that my whole body is coordinating to move me forward without my concentrating on it? I don't think it's best for us to try to sit ourselves down, but maybe if we're stuck in a situation that appears boring on the surface, kind of looking deeper to find something awesome about it. Just getting wrapped up in the present moment rather than wrapped up in our mental or physical distractions from it. Does that many any sense?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
pinkgrafitti Thanks for sharing that video. Geez, that guy hit a lot of things spot on. "If you're a 7, good luck with that" at the end was just perfect, haha.

All of those questions you asked at the end about being a successful and enlightened 7 are issues I've been trying to resolve for myself as well. The way I interpreted his advice for being present in the moment was to try to get caught up in the wonder or thrill of wherever we are. Like, oh, I'm walking. The air feels great on my face; I can bounce to the beat of a song in my head; isn't it fascinating that my whole body is coordinating to move me forward without my concentrating on it? I don't think it's best for us to try to sit ourselves down, but maybe if we're stuck in a situation that appears boring on the surface, kind of looking deeper to find something awesome about it. Just getting wrapped up in the present moment rather than wrapped up in our mental or physical distractions from it. Does that many any sense?

yes it makes sense and it's interesting i think because i used to have anxiety attacks and the way i would calm myself down was to make myself go sit in nature and pay attention to it...so it's sort of basically what he's talking about.

i think we just get so lost in our mental chatter that we miss so much of the beauty around us....and to stop and notice it gives us such a calm whole feeling.

it's good advice for anyone tho too i guess because in meditation that's the whole practice right? feel the chair? feel your feet on the chair? imagine your feet begin to grow roots and burrow deep down into the earth etc?

it's good stuff tho...i think we ought to just take lil meditation breaks throughout the day

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Loved the video, totally relate! I feel like I have maybe been in that totally healthy and completely present mode in couple month chunks at a time maybe 24 months of the past 20 years. In most of those times I thought I was having a brain tumor /: The rest of that time has been spent trying to get back to that time.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

I relate to parts of that video, I think I used to be more like that when I was younger - but really how can you survive after a certain stage by being scattered?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I relate to parts of that video, I think I used to be more like that when I was younger - but really how can you survive after a certain stage by being scattered?

i don't know if you're just speaking generally here or what but i don't man that i'm scattered all the time. i'm just typically lost in my thoughts if i'm not engaging with the people/environment around me.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i don't know if you're just speaking generally here or what but i don't man that i'm scattered all the time. i'm just typically lost in my thoughts if i'm not engaging with the people/environment around me.

does your mind ever go on turbo? i can't stop thinking, and it's not even focused thought, it's this, then that, etc... is everyone like that maybe? i should go back to yoga.....

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
does your mind ever go on turbo? i can't stop thinking, and it's not even focused thought, it's this, then that, etc... is everyone like that maybe? i should go back to yoga.....

My mother thinks yoga was invented by demons. It is fun?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ahahah yes

When I am on my own, and have freetime...
I will try it...

I really want to experience the world myself for a change...

Whatever career I pursue (likely teaching...), I want something not too demanding on my time...
After the primary reward of helping children, the summers off that teachers get would be a godsend...
I could spend time growing closer to my family...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

yeah for sure it does...i don't feel terribly scattered tho...i mean sometimes...but i feel like a more apt description would be just hyperdrive...it may appear scattered to others or wear them out...but i'm comfortable with my thoughts going a mile a min..it's when i feel most alive and involved with life or like what i'm doing matters in some way..

Ayame

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
the rosy colored outlook doesn't last forever. what it really is, in my opinion, is a delayed response of negative emotions. to be honest, if I were going to prison, for the first day or so I would be thinking "yay! this is just like all those prison documentaries I watched! :D ".....but reality does eventually sink in, and which point we become jaded and disintegrate to 1 as our perfect world falls in shambles before us. at this point, we become bitch, critical of others, narcissistic and aggressive, determined to get back what we "deserve" at all costs

Yeah I could see myself doing that. Plus thinking of the gym and all the time I would have to read and gain some new skills. Whether it was legal or not. Well as long as I didn't get caught anyway. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone or anything but hey why not learn the skills that are available to learn.