User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 42

  1. #21
    Member tanstaafl28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    @tanstaafl28 theoretically you express both wings (6 and 8). even if one may be more expressed than the other... so it makes sense for her...
    Greetings pinkgraffiti! Given my own situation as a rather social 5w6, I am willing to admit there are always exceptions, however, given that 8 is in the gut/anger triad and 6 is in the head/fear triad, (even taking into account the possibility that their six wing is counterphobic) I would think one would be more pervasive than the other.

  2. #22
    Member tanstaafl28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    @Mane
    this sounds accurate. I initially didn't think I was positive outlook because I associated it with the kumbaya/"yay! let's all be a big happy family! " line of thinking more common in 2s and 9w1s. 7's positive outlook is more about framing and ignoring that which is inconvenient, mundane or painful (physically or psychologically)


    both subtypes of 7 are fairly aggressive in pursuing their needs/desires and putting a stop to anything in the way of their freedom or well being.
    in the case of @Lady X, it's likely Sx dom (most Sx doms are pretty fiery and intense) + the 9w8 fix (sudden flashes of intense anger which dissipates quickly)
    I have not explored tritype wings as yet, so perhaps I am at a disadvantage here.

  3. #23
    Senior Member pinkgraffiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    that's exactly what i said. if you can interpret a text:

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl28 View Post
    I would think one would be more pervasive than the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    even if one may be more expressed than the other...

  4. #24
    Member tanstaafl28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    that's exactly what i said. if you can interpret a text:
    I'm not sure if we are on the same page from a contextual point of view.

  5. #25
    Senior Member pinkgraffiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl28 View Post
    I'm not sure if we are on the same page from a contextual point of view.
    yeah well, if you take notice, i'm not exactly talking about abstract stuff here. i'm a 7 so if i defend the fact that both wings are important then i'm talking for a personal perspective. I feel the 7 in me, i feel the 8 and i feel the 6 too. just turn it on your side for a sec, i'm sure you feel the 4 in you as well. life is not black & white and the enneagram either.

  6. #26
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    yeah well, if you take notice, i'm not exactly talking about abstract stuff here. i'm a 7 so if i defend the fact that both wings are important then i'm talking for a personal perspective. I feel the 7 in me, i feel the 8 and i feel the 6 too. just turn it on your side for a sec, i'm sure you feel the 4 in you as well. life is not black & white and the enneagram either.
    makes me wonder - what assumptions are required for the enneagram to work?

    MBTI names traits and assumes which ones are conflicting in order to group them, but enneagram makes a list of traits, organizes them in an elegant pattern and assumes the list should cover everything... that's a very big assumption. not big - huge - it's a tiny constellation declaring the rest of the universe is merely it's own reflection.

  7. #27
    Senior Member pinkgraffiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    makes me wonder - what assumptions are required for the enneagram to work?

    MBTI names traits and assumes which ones are conflicting in order to group them, but enneagram makes a list of traits, organizes them in an elegant pattern and assumes the list should cover everything... that's a very big assumption. not big - huge - it's a tiny constellation declaring the rest of the universe is merely it's own reflection.
    i know. coincidence, i was thinking the same about an hour ago and went to PubMed (www.pubmed.com) to check out the theory the enneagram is based on. i found only 3 articles on the enneagram, in comparison to over 200 for the MBTI. I also found that there is zero scientific backup to the enneagram: whereas MBTI is super backed up by statistical analysis, the enneagram seems to pertain to the field of mysticism. i still dont understand the reason for the 9 types...just someone decided it had to be like that, right? i mean, the greeks, the romans, the renaissance people...throughout centuries there have the theories of the 4 types of people, 4 types of blood etc...now it's 9. great, more diversity, more precise. perfect. but why not 16 like MBTI? why not 100? why not 100 million? there needs to be a sturdy theory behind the enneagram and so far i'm not convinced.

    that said, i just found a really cool video on type 7 that i really identify with. it also kinda left me wondering: the way of success and enlightenment for type 7 is to stop relax and focus on the present and what you are doing. right? but what does that lead to? what's the interest in that? am i supposed to become more enlightened out of sitting down? what if what i'm doing is boring? i don't get it. i'd like to be a wiser and more complete person, but i dont see how being slower can help me get there (maybe im stupid)

  8. #28
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    i know. coincidence, i was thinking the same about an hour ago and went to PubMed (www.pubmed.com) to check out the theory the enneagram is based on. i found only 3 articles on the enneagram, in comparison to over 200 for the MBTI. I also found that there is zero scientific backup to the enneagram: whereas MBTI is super backed up by statistical analysis, the enneagram seems to pertain to the field of mysticism. i still dont understand the reason for the 9 types...just someone decided it had to be like that, right? i mean, the greeks, the romans, the renaissance people...throughout centuries there have the theories of the 4 types of people, 4 types of blood etc...now it's 9. great, more diversity, more precise. perfect. but why not 16 like MBTI? why not 100? why not 100 million? there needs to be a sturdy theory behind the enneagram and so far i'm not convinced.

    that said, i just found a really cool video on type 7 that i really identify with. it also kinda left me wondering: the way of success and enlightenment for type 7 is to stop relax and focus on the present and what you are doing. right? but what does that lead to? what's the interest in that? am i supposed to become more enlightened out of sitting down? what if what i'm doing is boring? i don't get it. i'd like to be a wiser and more complete person, but i dont see how being slower can help me get there (maybe im stupid)
    that video is fantastic! he's totally right...and i do that sometimes...remind myself to be present...pay attention to the people in the room etc...

    it's funny that we have to remind ourselves to do that...i wonder if se 7's have to as much??
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  9. #29
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    that video is fantastic! he's totally right...and i do that sometimes...remind myself to be present...pay attention to the people in the room etc...

    it's funny that we have to remind ourselves to do that...i wonder if se 7's have to as much??
    Yeah, they do! My 7 esfp sister can be like this but only if she's not getting stimulated. Talking or spending time with her can be like baiting a line with one of those sparkly things and then leading her on a chase to catch it. If she gets bored, she'll just leave or dismiss the person.

    It's good for me, though because she's really tolerant of my quick changes in topic.

  10. #30
    Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    5,634

    Default

    @ Thanks for sharing that video. Geez, that guy hit a lot of things spot on. "If you're a 7, good luck with that" at the end was just perfect, haha.

    All of those questions you asked at the end about being a successful and enlightened 7 are issues I've been trying to resolve for myself as well. The way I interpreted his advice for being present in the moment was to try to get caught up in the wonder or thrill of wherever we are. Like, oh, I'm walking. The air feels great on my face; I can bounce to the beat of a song in my head; isn't it fascinating that my whole body is coordinating to move me forward without my concentrating on it? I don't think it's best for us to try to sit ourselves down, but maybe if we're stuck in a situation that appears boring on the surface, kind of looking deeper to find something awesome about it. Just getting wrapped up in the present moment rather than wrapped up in our mental or physical distractions from it. Does that many any sense?
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Similar Threads

  1. Is language essential for rational thinking?
    By nightning in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 07:38 PM
  2. The Powerlessness of Positive Thinking
    By 93JC in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-20-2014, 09:57 PM
  3. The Poison of Positive Thinking
    By ygolo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 05:49 PM
  4. Positive thinking can't keep the IRS away
    By Beorn in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 07:09 PM
  5. Critique of "Positive Thinking"
    By tcda in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO