• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Spacing out and having no idea what I'm thinking

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I was just driving home and realized that I had been completely spacing out for the last few miles (had no idea what cars I'd past or what songs had played) but I also couldn't remember what I had been thinking about, like when you wake up and can't remember what you were dreaming about (and no, I didn't fall asleep at the wheel). I'm wondering if this is a type 9 thing, INTP thing, or just a me thing. This ever happen to any of you?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do this often. I'll black out and wake up on the other side of the street. Sometimes I stare and do the same thing and come back with a sense of just waking.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yup, quite often. Especially if I'm walking around somewhere my mind will just go off on some weird tangent. I usually get to where I meant to be but don't always remember the actual process of getting there. Another strange one for me is at work, if I get distracted right after talking to someone I'll have a feeling of "hmmm, I think I just talked to someone but have no idea who it was, or what I said".

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Happens to me all the time too. ENFP and 9 is in my tritype. I thought maybe it was an extrovert problem, like if you didn't say the thoughts out loud, they're at risk for being lost almost immediately. I sometimes wish I could know what I was thinking about in those little zone outs because I bet I'd benefit from thinking those things more concretely. Maybe Fi :shrug:

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Happens to me all the time too. ENFP and 9 is in my tritype. I thought maybe it was an extrovert problem, like if you didn't say the thoughts out loud, they're at risk for being lost almost immediately. I sometimes wish I could know what I was thinking about in those little zone outs because I bet I'd benefit from thinking those things more concretely. Maybe Fi :shrug:

I am an ENFP 7w6>4w3>9w1 So/Sp, and I always thought it was an xNxP thing…
Sometimes you just start following random thoughts and then forget everything you were doing and thinking…

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I am an ENFP 7w6>4w3>9w1 So/Sp, and I always thought it was an xNxP thing…
Sometimes you just start following random thoughts and then forget everything you were doing and thinking…

W

WALMART

It's a rational function thing, and probably of the introverted variant - Ti/Fi

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I was just driving home and realized that I had been completely spacing out for the last few miles (had no idea what cars I'd past or what songs had played) but I also couldn't remember what I had been thinking about, like when you wake up and can't remember what you were dreaming about (and no, I didn't fall asleep at the wheel). I'm wondering if this is a type 9 thing, INTP thing, or just a me thing. This ever happen to any of you?

What you experience is a parietal lobe thing. Happens to me too. You'd think being an Se dom would make me very attentive. I actually have the world's worst selective hearing, and when I'm zoned out, I think the ideas that pop into my head are my own. They're usually other peoples' ideas.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a 4w5. Not influenced by 9 much. This happens to me all the time. I get lost in thought and then suddenly come back to reality without knowing what happened to me since I left. If someone offered me a penny for my thoughts, they'd get to keep it--I've generally got no idea what was so interesting it took over my capacity to perceive reality. I live in a cloud of ether.

I assumed this was an iNtuitive thing more than anything else, but given that two people have already spoken about Ti/Fi and Se, it may simply be a human thing.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What you experience is a parietal lobe thing. Happens to me too. You'd think being an Se dom would make me very attentive. I actually have the world's worst selective hearing, and when I'm zoned out, I think the ideas that pop into my head are my own. They're usually other peoples' ideas.

Parietal lobe?!?
Are you saying I'm brain damaged?
How do I cure it?
It's caused me so many problems in the past…

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It happens to me fairly often. Occasionally I have been distracted enough that I've driven past the exit I was supposed to take, and only "wake up" when I realize my surroundings are completely unfamiliar.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It happens to me fairly often. Occasionally I have been distracted enough that I've driven past the exit I was supposed to take, and only "wake up" when I realize my surroundings are completely unfamiliar.

I've done that too many times. It's a joke among my friends. Glad to hear I'm not alone :)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've done that too many times. It's a joke among my friends. Glad to hear I'm not alone :)

Me, too.
I'm used to doing it, and if my step-father is near, he slaps me and calls me incompetent. I wish I would stop doing it, since everyone I know thinks it's on purpose…
I try to stay aware, but it's like I drift…
…especially if a task is boring in and of itself…

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me, too.
I'm used to doing it, and if my step-father is near, he slaps me and calls me incompetent. I wish I would stop doing it, since everyone I know thinks it's on purpose…
That's a super shitty thing for him to do. While paying attention while driving, like many other mundane tasks, is important, I like all the places my mind goes. I hope you can get away from that negativity soon.

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Me, too.

Yeah I have to agree with [MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION] there. That is really not cool of your step-father. Next time he does it you should get him back... tell him you just washed off the dashboard with some great smelling product or get him to look in the glove compartment for something then while he is down next to the dashboard slam on the brakes. The feelings of justice will flow over you like waves of relaxation on a cool spring morning. And then he'll probably slap you, but it will be completely worth it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's a super shitty thing for him to do. While paying attention while driving, like many other mundane tasks, is important, I like all the places my mind goes. I hope you can get away from that negativity soon.

Thank you…
I plan to move off and try to really decide what is important in life. I have a career in mind, teaching, which would correlate to a degree in secondary education. I am about to study more of my Spanish, now…
I'll be back in a bit.

We are doing numbers 1-10, greetings, and common questions…

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It happens to me all the time too. Where I used to live I would drive an hour home everyday in traffic and at least once a week I would miss my exit and drive like 15 or 20 min out of my way before I realized I had been zoned out.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
spacing out during conversation, driving, watching a movie...

Sunny Ghost

Yeah, this happens a lot. But I think everyone does this. We switch to autopilot and let Jesus take the wheel. Brain starts making mental leaps, coming to, forgetting everything it just thought. If it were thinking at all.

Maybe driving just turns us into drones.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, this happens a lot. But I think everyone does this. We switch to autopilot and let Jesus take the wheel. Brain starts making mental leaps, coming to, forgetting everything it just thought. If it were thinking at all.

Maybe driving just turns us into drones.
Hence why I didn't find joy driving to work any more at all. What is the point of having a nice car with plenty of ponies, when you have to be frustrated by traffic. Public transport is doing it for me.