User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    yupp

I thought this was normal and everybody did it. I sometimes go wait, what? then move on. I mean often forget things mid sentence, i'll be talking trail off mid sentence because i totally forget the rest of my thought. But everyone does this.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

It's a relatively universal thing, we pay less attention when doing repetitive tasks as the body goes into automatic. The way it relates to 9s specifically is that it's indicative of how we pay attention to most things, not fully paying attention to what we're doing, only half in the conversation, just enough so that other people don't realise we're not paying full attention, if you're not fully paying attention then the chances of forgetting are greater as it's not really sinking in.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    It's a relatively universal thing, we pay less attention when doing repetitive tasks as the body goes into automatic. The way it relates to 9s specifically is that it's indicative of how we pay attention to most things, not fully paying attention to what we're doing, only half in the conversation, just enough so that other people don't realise we're not paying full attention, if you're not fully paying attention then the chances of forgetting are greater as it's not really sinking in.
    This is worth repeating. The example in the OP is pretty universal - it was called "highway hypnosis" during driving school and is actually one of the major dangers of driving on highways. Us 9s are special because we can tend to do that for most things, and our climb up the Enneagram health levels is learning how to be more present and engaged.

As Bruce Banner would say: That's my secret, I'm always spaced out.

MBTI
    INTp

I do this all the time, although my ennegram usually tests as 5w4 (but I've got 9w1 on occassion).

It can be dangerous when driving. I almost killed myself once when I approached a basic two lane highway from a minor paved road. My half daydreaming brain seemed to process the intersection as a 4 way stop so I pulled out in front of dangerously close oncoming traffic. A high speed near miss ensued. Just about crapped my pants when I snapped to full awareness of what was happening.

Stop signs on highways seem to snap me into full focus ever since. Funny how traumatic experiences stick with even the most absent minded persona.

Glycerine

It's called dissociation. Everyone has it to some degree ranging from daydreaming to dissociative identity disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Oh, man, is this true! There is this sense that I'm not truly connected to my body, that my mind and body are separate entities. And we disconnect a lot of the time, too. So a lot of stuff doesn't sink in, as you mentioned.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

I can always start to feel myself spacing out whenever I'm doing homework, and I usually have to take a break and do something else to get myself back on track. Usually just taking a little break is enough to get myself back into focus.
    9w1 - 5w4 - 2w3

"The alpaca is watching you. Now, the alpaca is not watching you. The alpaca does not care about you one bit. But the alpaca does not hate you. He is just not interested in you." - Himaruya

MBTI
    NFJ

I often get told I'm "staring off into space".

Some people tell me to stop staring at them, when in actual fact I'm just staring into space (please don't hurt me).

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Concur_Withall View Post
    I often get told I'm "staring off into space".

Some people tell me to stop staring at them, when in actual fact I'm just staring into space (please don't hurt me).
    This has been such an issue for me growing up! I'm always staring at people when I go to La La Land and has caused many awkward situations.
    Dude: Hey girl, I noticed you were staring.
    Me: I was?
    Dude: You've been looking at me for the last 5 minutes, would you like some company?
    Me: Oh! I'm so sorry, I just spaced out and your face must have been where my eyes rested.

Now I look like a jerk. All because I like visiting other places in my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    spacing out during conversation, driving, watching a movie...
    Isn't that painful? To miss out on things. :o

I only do it when I'm not being active / involved with anything