Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    My whole identity and source of confidence is based on my looks and sense of style; if I didnt have that, I'd feel like a nobody. When I look or dress bad, I literally don't feel like myself; I am how I look. Is this a heart triad thing, or an instinctual variant thing?
    I don't know what it has to do with. I have been noticing something similar about myslef lately though. It's like I don't feel like I look good, then the whole day is shot. I am just in a bad mood because my confidence is down. Not sure if this is anything like what you're talking about. It's probably less extreme, but it sucks. So now I try to look for other things that give me confidence from the inside. It's not as easy as I'd like it to be though. I think it's just societal pressure though....so maybe it's instinctual varients? so...sx? dunno
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I've used my appearance to communicate my identity to the point where it was too closely tied to it. I realized the shallowness of it after I got a positive rep for being stylish in an offbeat way (suddenly I felt the vanity of it, as if people thought I was attention-seeking), & I started hating myself all over again :P. But really, I still feel depressed or not "like me" to dress plainly. I feel like my tongue has been cut out.

And yes, I have an obsession with attractiveness, but not really in the most typical usage of "attractive", more of a literal sense of bringing people to me. Being sexy or appealing to men or meeting some status-fueld image is not my motivation (I can even really dislike things I see as geared towards those). There's a part of me that wants someone to spot me & find me terribly fascinating immediately and then a mutual love-obsession will sprout and we both live happily ever after. Notice I said fascinating - not hot or sexy or beautiful, although I'll take that too.

I think there IS a compensation in creating an aesthetically appealing outer appearance in the face of feeling very ugly on the inside.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I can relate. I as well as one other person so far have considered E3 in their tri-type, so it might be indicative of that, though I'm sure this is common to other types. Also what zago said.

I think rather than trying to analyze what this means, it might be more helpful to take it at face value- see if it makes you happy and satisfied with life. If so you're probably fine, if not, address the underlying issues and try to change the situation. You won't find external sources of fulfillment and happiness if you can't give it to yourself, unconditionally. Easier said than done, of course. I'm working on it myself, but with relationships.

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I've used my appearance to communicate my identity to the point where it was too closely tied to it. I realized the shallowness of it after I got a positive rep for being stylish in an offbeat way (suddenly I felt the vanity of it, as if people thought I was attention-seeking), & I started hating myself all over again :P. But really, I still feel depressed or not "like me" to dress plainly. I feel like my tongue has been cut out.

And yes, I have an obsession with attractiveness, but not really in the most typical usage of "attractive", more of a literal sense of bringing people to me. Being sexy or appealing to men or meeting some status-fueld image is not my motivation (I can even really dislike things I see as geared towards those). There's a part of me that wants someone to spot me & find me terribly fascinating immediately and then a mutual love-obsession will sprout and we both live happily ever after. Notice I said fascinating - not hot or sexy or beautiful, although I'll take that too.

I think there IS a compensation in creating an aesthetically appealing outer appearance in the face of feeling very ugly on the inside.
    Your post really stood out to me because I do want to seem fascinating. I want people to look at me like "wow, this guy, there's something about him", rather than being just an attractive guy. I want to be fascinatingly sexy.

I also don't follow mainstream trends. Most men want to wear cargo shorts, the latest sneakers, etc. Whereas I see blind trend-following as a sign of a lack of taste. I'd rather be a fascinating, naturally stylish man than just a plain trendy man.

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Understandable. Did you hammer yourself to death with exercise or have an eating disorder or anything?

The bad news is that you won't find the connection you're looking for through your appearance. People will love you for just that... and then when it fades, as I implied before, you will have no choice but to face it. It will break your heart, if it's not broken already.
    I'd say sort of a binge eating disorder. I regularly go from consistent dedicated dieting to over-indulgence, but I still hover around a healthy (yet un satisfying weight).

I subconsciously feel like I'll be a silver fox in old age, and just be really satisfied. I honestly never imagine myself as a 60-80 year old

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Your inner self and outer self are one.
    That which you wish to project is irrelevant if not genuine.
    Just as you cannot choose the object of your desires as an audience, your greatest admirer cannot choose when you are to manifest in their presence.
    Which is why it is of greatest importance for all to project themselves truly, for failure to do so leads only to the fulfillment of emptiness.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I'm heart center last (3w4 fix) and I relate to this. I think it's also strongly related to the Sexual Instinct
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Your inner self and outer self are one.
    That which you wish to project is irrelevant if not genuine.
    Just as you cannot choose the object of your desires as an audience, your greatest admirer cannot choose when you are to manifest in their presence.
    Which is why it is of greatest importance for all to project themselves truly, for failure to do so leads only to the fulfillment of emptiness.
    nice, another poetic/pretentious sx/so!

*high five*

I agree. Project who you are and the people who matter will love you for that. I once dated an ISFP who complained that "good looks were the only thing she had" which was the most retarded thing I heard. But ultimately there was nothing I could do to change her mind.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    nice, another poetic/pretentious sx/so!

*high five*
    LMAO!

Nice to meet you.

Glad to know I'm not the only poetic/pretentious sx/so at TypC.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee
    I agree. Project who you are and the people who matter will love you for that.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee
    I once dated an ISFP who complained that "good looks were the only thing she had" which was the most retarded thing I heard. But ultimately there was nothing I could do to change her mind.
    Nope, you can't "fix" people.
    Hopefully you two had fun while it lasted and parted ways gracefully.
    Nothing wrong with that.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

*handshake kidney punch*