• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] Is 7w6 always a head type?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I often question whether 7w6 is always a head type. I've noticed that the ENTP 7w6's almost always relate to the classic head type description of being constantly in their heads: always thinking, analyzing, strategizing, critiquing, etc. However, I'm starting to notice that not all the 7w6's that I meet are actually like this. In fact, many of the ENFP and especially the ESFP 7w6's that I meet don't tend to be as caught up in their heads as the ENTP 7w6's. So my question is, "Does 7w6 always have to be a head type"?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I certainly don't feel like a "head type."

I just know I want to see more of your avatar.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i know that i'm constantly in my head thinking, analyzing etc but someone sitting with me may not know that...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]
to be honest, no. I feel like a much more instinctual person than most head types. typically, I have a lot more anger than anxiety
Edit: that said, I have a reasonable amount of mental energy that I typically don't notice until I'm about to go to sleep and realize "wtf! I didn't realize my mind was moving that fast"

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i know that i'm constantly in my head thinking, analyzing etc but someone sitting with me not know that...

Yeah, this. What's happening in my own head may not be so apparent to outsiders. :yes: Unless I'm completely drained, it usually takes me over an hour to fall asleep because I keep thinking about things.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
i know that i'm constantly in my head thinking, analyzing etc but someone sitting with me may not know that...

Can you go into more detail with this? I mean, are you really analyzing and if so how? Also, would you consider constantly reflecting as to how you feel about things to be analysis? I just question this because when I say I analyze I mean that I research, gather data, plan, strategize, critique, and pick things apart idealistically in order to understand them. I never stop thinking.

to be honest, no. I feel like a much more instinctual person than most head types. typically, I have a lot more anger than anxiety
Edit: that said, I have a reasonable amount of mental energy that I typically don't notice until I'm about to go to sleep and realize "wtf! I didn't realize my mind was moving that fast"

This is why I could easily see you as a core gut type.

Yeah, this. What's happening in my own head may not be so apparent to outsiders. :yes: Unless I'm completely drained, it usually takes me over an hour to fall asleep because I keep thinking about things.

Can you also describe this process for me?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
let's break this down a bit more

core 8: not reactive enough, not amoral enough, initiating physical violence is unnatural for me
core 1: not core superego, incredibly easy on myself
core 9: too goddamn egotistical, I'm much too into myself and getting what I want to be a core 9

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can you go into more detail with this? I mean, are you really analyzing and if so how? Also, would you consider constantly reflecting as to how you feel about things to be analysis? I just question this because when I say I analyze I mean that I research, gather data, plan, strategize, critique, and pick things apart idealistically in order to understand them. I never stop thinking.

What applies to me is in bold. I'm honestly not really sure how to answer besides putting those words in bold. Are you asking to explain what's constantly going on in my head all the time? Because putting what happens in my mind into words is definitely going to be a challenge. :rly???:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have an ESFP 7w6 friend who seems very instinctual, but I see why she'd be considered a head type. You can see it in her lack of bodied-ness... Her energy is fast-paced, frenetic, volatile, pressing forward, outward. There's nothing bodied about her energy. Even 9s with their disconnection are still grounded in a way that 7s aren't. 9s may try to forget about their bodies, but 7's minds are way ahead of their bodies.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have an ESFP 7w6 friend who seems very instinctual, but I see why she'd be considered a head type. You can see it in her lack of bodied-ness... Her energy is fast-paced, frenetic, volatile, pressing forward, outward. There's nothing bodied about her energy. Even 9s with their disconnection are still grounded in a way that 7s aren't. 9s may try to forget about their bodies, but 7's minds are way ahead of their bodies.

What does "bodied" mean in this context?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What does "bodied" mean in this context?

Mm, like contained and expressed within their physical being. 8s typically channel physical robustness in their body, solidity and potential for power. 1s have a tense body energy, like a volcano with fire ready to explode from below. 9s have a deep immobility and a sort of cavernous body energy you can fall into. All of their ways of approaching life are manifested in the body in a very stable, centered way. Their energy lies inside.

Whereas with a 7, their body energy flies far out ahead of them - fast paced, a little frenetic, always on the move. There's not a sense of physical containment. So even though she's definitely got the SP sense of concrete energy, and moves with the flow of energy potential, she doesn't really carry a centered energy within her - instead it races from opportunity to opportunity as she ego-identifies with novelties and indulgences outside of herself to protect her ego from recognizing that it may be in pain.

Theoretically, anyway.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
What applies to me is in bold. I'm honestly not really sure how to answer besides putting those words in bold. Are you asking to explain what's constantly going on in my head all the time? Because putting what happens in my mind into words is definitely going to be a challenge. :rly???:

I'm wondering if there is a difference between ENFP head types and NT head types? So far I'm seeing the xNFP head types like Christopher Robin from Winnie the Pooh, like Peter Pan, like Scott Pilgram, and like Doug Funny. On the other hand, I'm seeing the NT head types more like Sherlock Holmes, like Stephen Hawking, and like Cersei and Tyrion Lanaster from "Game of Thrones". NF head types tend to be in more of a fantasy land similar to the kid from "A Never Ending Story" and NT head types tend to be in almost like a science fiction/Sun Tzu style fantasy land.

Mm, like contained and expressed within their physical being. 8s typically channel physical robustness in their body, solidity and potential for power. 1s have a tense body energy, like a volcano with fire ready to explode from below. 9s have a deep immobility and a sort of cavernous body energy you can fall into. All of their ways of approaching life are manifested in the body in a very stable, centered way. Their energy lies inside.

Whereas with a 7, their body energy flies far out ahead of them - fast paced, a little frenetic, always on the move. There's not a sense of physical containment. So even though she's definitely got the SP sense of concrete energy, and moves with the flow of energy potential, she doesn't really carry a centered energy within her - instead it races from opportunity to opportunity as she ego-identifies with novelties and indulgences outside of herself to protect her ego from recognizing that it may be in pain.

Theoretically, anyway.

I was unaware that any of these things had to do with head types in general. From my understanding head types are constantly thinking, and can't get out their head and shut off their mental chitter-chatter.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was unaware that any of these things had to do with head types in general. From my understanding head types are constantly thinking, and can't get out their head and shut off their mental chitter-chatter.

Oh, you're absolutely right. And the "energy" thing is less empirical/reliable, of course. But when you asked the question, it occurred to me that I had that 7w6 friend who seems very instinctual, so I thought it worth describing her energy. I think sometimes the 7 mental chatter isn't always very clear to others. With her, it manifests more as "next!-next!-next!" - like, need to keep moving.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Can you also describe this process for me?

of course you do. you're an entp. but i assure you fi works in much the same way. we're just theorizing about the human condition...interpersonal relationships...psychology etc but it's non stop and just as in depth as your approach.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Oh, you're absolutely right. And the "energy" thing is less empirical/reliable, of course. But when you asked the question, it occurred to me that I had that 7w6 friend who seems very instinctual, so I thought it worth describing her energy. I think sometimes the 7 mental chatter isn't always very clear to others. With her, it manifests more as "next!-next!-next!" - like, need to keep moving.

of course you do. you're an entp. but i assure you fi works in much the same way. we're just theorizing about the human condition...interpersonal relationships...psychology etc but it's non stop and just as in depth as your approach.

Can you give me a little preview of what's going on inside your heads though ladies? I mean as an ENTP, I'm sure it's much different from what I experience, so it's pretty confusing to me.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]
"energy far out ahead of themselves" describes it aptly.
personally, I think 7w6 is a head type because, frankly, our confidence isn't based on anything but our own grandiose delusions and conceited egocentrism.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you give me a little preview of what's going on inside your heads though ladies? I mean as an ENTP, I'm sure it's much different from what I experience, so it's pretty confusing to me.

i'm not sure how to do that for you because my answer will only reflect this particular sliver in time.

but i do a lot of thinking about motivations...myself and others....what is driving someone and how that came to be...the need behind it and why. i plan for the future....all the different scenarios....i think about growth...i think about what shaped us...deep fears and desires...i think about all the ways i can relate to anothers experience or how i would've experienced it differently. i feel anxious and then analyze the shit out of it....until i get to a place of deep understanding and have a positive direction to work towards.

i may do better with questions.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]
"energy far out ahead of themselves" describes it aptly.
personally, I think 7w6 is a head type because, frankly, our confidence isn't based on anything but our own grandiose delusions and conceited egocentrism.

i honestly don't feel like that's true for me. i mean for me....pretty much everyone should feel proud of who they are. i hate to see poor self confidence. i don't relate to it and i think it's dishonoring yourself.

i mean...sometimes it's just having a good judge of character and if you think yours sucks then change it. don't accept it and be all bummed out by it. have some sort of ideal and work it out.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Same as Lady X... that's a hard one to answer. Here's this and this that I just wrote for some pretty good off-the-cuff reflections.

Right now I'm just sitting in my room - pretty partly-cloudy sky outside, enjoying my last day of vacation before work again tomorrow, mired as usual in trying to decide what career path I would like to take. I'm very torn between pursuing medical school or going the psychology route. On one hand I've always wanted to be a doctor, I've always been fascinated by medical issues, I think the people/system thought balance would be pleasing, the structure of training and the job would be good for me, and I probably would have gone through with it right after undergrad if a romantic obsession hadn't led me elsewhere. On the other hand, I spend a lot of time thinking about psychology, my mind seems to gravitate that way, and I have a Psych bachelor's. But I mostly just like the fluffy stuff - motivational, positive, archetypes, and humanist, and am disinterested and turned off by a lot of cognitive, clinical, abnormal, social, developmental, and research. So that's kind of a glimpse into my mind at the immediate moment.

Other thoughts... I think your avatar is very appealing but I wish her boobs weren't so big, they seem disproportionate. I like boobs too but those aren't sexy to me, not with all that muscle under her arms. I like soft curvy women with big hips. I like how she's all a-nature, though. Poison Ivy is a disappointing character to me. I really like the idea behind her and her aesthetic and it sucks that she's "bad". I watched an episode of cartoon Batman once where you could see how they liked one another and it was so sweet, and I so wish she'd go over to the good side. Batman's kind of a questionable hero himself, though, so whatever.

I need to go to the store for a few things... I want to get a planner again... to me planners are very symbolic of having a meaningful, organized, and productive life. Things to do, people to see, work to complete. I've always loved having a planner. Being productive and forward-moving makes me really happy and positive. Life seems more colorful and exciting to me when it's like that. My current job is quite shitty, IMO - I assumed when I took it that it'd be a short-time thing, and it's turned into years and the company's gone downhill - I also need a lampshade for my new apartment, since my old one doesn't match any of the new decor (I'll donate the old one since I hate wasting), and I want to get bedding for my new bed.

I'm concerned about my grandma who's just moved into a rehab facility after major surgery, and is pretty bummed by it all, and she lives far away so I can't do much. I just visited her for 3 days but it seemed so short. I sometimes think of moving up by her... she doesn't want to move to be near us since she's lived there for 90 years and her social life is there and I can understand that. But our family visits there often and I like it there - or at least closer. But my boyfriend is in grad school here for at least two more years and my little brother is starting university near here this fall. I'm super excited for my brother and I hope his college experience is as fun as mine, though also I hope he leaves with a better sense of what he wants to do next.

I've been with my boyfriend for more than two years now and I think we're doing really well in our relationship. We're very attracted to one another and we've worked through a lot. We have very compatible values, plans, and dreams. We talked about the future recently and we're both interested in further commitment. That one's a little scary to me but it's also something that I've always wanted, so it's very exciting, too. I'm not sure either of us is ready quite yet but we're saying in the next 5 years, so that seems good to me. Not rushed but not lagging, either. Steadily flowing forward and inward. It's interesting because the closer we get, the more I feel comfortable separating. Like we had that attached-at-the-hip thing for a while, and of course we still very much are, but it's also easier to leave and do my own thing now. I think it'd be good for me to get a move on and get into grad school or med school because then he can do his schooling too and we can just both be mired in that for a while, and then I'd like to travel. Maybe if I did med school I could spend some later years training in another country... that'd be really cool. I've always wanted to do Doctors Without Borders. I'm really moved by humanitarian causes and I have a strong big-picture social outlook. I want to do work that impacts a large population. Haha, back to career. My thoughts loop like this a lot. Loop and move foward. Loop and move forward.

Last thought, I went downstairs earlier and was reading the newspaper and saw this ad:

MV5BMTU1ODQyOTA5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDA0MDY1OQ@@._V1_SY317_CR13,0,214,317_.jpg

Initial thoughts are that I like the color of the woman's dress on the right, though it makes her upper body look strangely wide. I like her hair color, too. I dyed my hair that color at one point. I take note of the contrasts between them. I feel some degree of association with the redhead because of liking her hair and dress and being interested in medicine, like her gloves and bag imply. I notice the bulge of the body between them and the gross white feet. Then I notice their shoes, and while it's not surprising that the one in the dress has heels, it sort of makes me laugh that the more tomboyish one still has these super-high heels and makeup and supermodel hair. I've basically given up high-high heels - gave a bunch to a friend - and go for comfortable kitten heels now. I think it's funy that this "tomboyish" policewoman is in these tiny stilettos. As soon as she walks on that grass she'll sink 4 inches in. Kind of an interesting commentary on how women need to be portrayed to be "attractive" - even though it'd be way more realistic and consistent to have her in a nice pair of flats.

Hope that gives you a decent idea. Like Lady X said, it'd probably be easier to show you processing via questions.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i honestly don't feel like that's true for me. i mean for me....pretty much everyone should feel proud of who they are. i hate to see poor self confidence. i don't relate to it and i think it's dishonoring yourself.
i mean...sometimes it's just having a good judge of character and if you think yours sucks then change it. don't accept it and be all bummed out by it. have some sort of ideal and work it out.

I didn't say our confidence isn't real (7s probably have more natural confidence than any type other than 8), but what our confidence is based on is not tangible, and this leads to what Riso and Hudson refer to as "instant expert syndrome" where we believe our general confidence translates into tangible skills which, in fact, take long hours of disciplined practice and/or experience to really get.