123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default E8 Vulnerability

Eights,

someone recently told me "8's feel vulnerable but don't look like they are."

Thoughts?

I'm not an eight and feel the accuracy of that statement depends on the ability to see past the outer layer. My view of eights from my primary experience online ks that they are weak and easy targets and gunning at one is the equivalent of infanticide.

You need to develop an eye to see it though so I would be inclined to agree with your statement.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

^ I'll sort of agree to that. At first glance, sure, they look intimidating, invincible and often downright scary. Then you take another look and at the beautiful vulnerable soul underneath.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I wish I knew more 8's in real life.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Eights,

someone recently told me "8's feel vulnerable but don't look like they are."

Thoughts?
    I think it may be more that we want to be able to feel secure enough to show vulnerability but we're not going to let anyone know/see that.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    ^ I'll sort of agree to that. At first glance, sure, they look intimidating, invincible and often downright scary. Then you take another look and at the beautiful vulnerable soul underneath.
    I have a hard time seeing type 8 that way, even if true. But these days I think by example, not by adjectives.

One example: My former 8w7 boss, a guy who is tougher than nails and meaner than a grizzly bear defending her cubs, came into the office one day and confided to me his thoughts about Terri Schiavo who was in the news at the time. He looked truly sad and spoke in low tones about the possibility of her being taken off life support.

I've never seen him looking or talking like that before or since.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I have a hard time seeing type 8 that way, even if true. But these days I think by example, not by adjectives.

One example: My former 8w7 boss, a guy who is tougher than nails and meaner than a grizzly bear defending her cubs, came into the office one day and confided to me his thoughts about Terri Schiavo who was in the news at the time. He looked truly sad and spoke in low tones about the possibility of her being taken off life support.

I've never seen him looking or talking like that before or since.
    In my experience its usually the opposite. the 8's are warm and friendly up until you do something to upset them. Though I've never actually upset one before.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    In my experience its usually the opposite. the 8's are warm and friendly up until you do something to upset them. Though I've never actually upset one before.
    This one was sociable after work. But he is a business owner in a tough industry striving to outdo the competition. At work, he is 6 foot 3 of pure meanness.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

In the enneagram workshops I've attended, the older 8s have talked about discovering how they tend to accidentally polarize people, because others respond to their aggressive energy (even when they aren't doing anything aggressive). It came as a shock to the 8s to realize how they come across as aggressive even when they were feeling anything but, subjectively.

To others, though, the softer side of an 8 can come as a real surprise. It was certainly surprising to me to listen to the hurt that 8s experience when their outward aggressive energy triggers negative (and often not objectively deserved) responses from others.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    In the enneagram workshops I've attended, the older 8s have talked about discovering how they tend to accidentally polarize people, because others respond to their aggressive energy (even when they aren't doing anything aggressive). It came as a shock to the 8s to realize how they come across as aggressive even when they were feeling anything but, subjectively.

To others, though, the softer side of an 8 can come as a real surprise. It was certainly surprising to me to listen to the hurt that 8s experience when their outward aggressive energy triggers negative (and often not objectively deserved) responses from others.
    8s at Enneagram conferences are not the 8 that I've known at work. His entire purpose was to make you NOT FORGET his "command" to do everything HIS WAY. And if you didn't like it, you could just step on down the road.