User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 27

  1. #1
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default E8 Vulnerability

    Eights,

    someone recently told me "8's feel vulnerable but don't look like they are."

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    I'm not an eight and feel the accuracy of that statement depends on the ability to see past the outer layer. My view of eights from my primary experience online ks that they are weak and easy targets and gunning at one is the equivalent of infanticide.

    You need to develop an eye to see it though so I would be inclined to agree with your statement.

  3. #3
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    ^ I'll sort of agree to that. At first glance, sure, they look intimidating, invincible and often downright scary. Then you take another look and at the beautiful vulnerable soul underneath.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  4. #4
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    I wish I knew more 8's in real life.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Eights,

    someone recently told me "8's feel vulnerable but don't look like they are."

    Thoughts?
    I think it may be more that we want to be able to feel secure enough to show vulnerability but we're not going to let anyone know/see that.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    ^ I'll sort of agree to that. At first glance, sure, they look intimidating, invincible and often downright scary. Then you take another look and at the beautiful vulnerable soul underneath.
    I have a hard time seeing type 8 that way, even if true. But these days I think by example, not by adjectives.

    One example: My former 8w7 boss, a guy who is tougher than nails and meaner than a grizzly bear defending her cubs, came into the office one day and confided to me his thoughts about Terri Schiavo who was in the news at the time. He looked truly sad and spoke in low tones about the possibility of her being taken off life support.

    I've never seen him looking or talking like that before or since.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I have a hard time seeing type 8 that way, even if true. But these days I think by example, not by adjectives.

    One example: My former 8w7 boss, a guy who is tougher than nails and meaner than a grizzly bear defending her cubs, came into the office one day and confided to me his thoughts about Terri Schiavo who was in the news at the time. He looked truly sad and spoke in low tones about the possibility of her being taken off life support.

    I've never seen him looking or talking like that before or since.
    In my experience its usually the opposite. the 8's are warm and friendly up until you do something to upset them. Though I've never actually upset one before.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    In my experience its usually the opposite. the 8's are warm and friendly up until you do something to upset them. Though I've never actually upset one before.
    This one was sociable after work. But he is a business owner in a tough industry striving to outdo the competition. At work, he is 6 foot 3 of pure meanness.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #9
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    In the enneagram workshops I've attended, the older 8s have talked about discovering how they tend to accidentally polarize people, because others respond to their aggressive energy (even when they aren't doing anything aggressive). It came as a shock to the 8s to realize how they come across as aggressive even when they were feeling anything but, subjectively.

    To others, though, the softer side of an 8 can come as a real surprise. It was certainly surprising to me to listen to the hurt that 8s experience when their outward aggressive energy triggers negative (and often not objectively deserved) responses from others.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    In the enneagram workshops I've attended, the older 8s have talked about discovering how they tend to accidentally polarize people, because others respond to their aggressive energy (even when they aren't doing anything aggressive). It came as a shock to the 8s to realize how they come across as aggressive even when they were feeling anything but, subjectively.

    To others, though, the softer side of an 8 can come as a real surprise. It was certainly surprising to me to listen to the hurt that 8s experience when their outward aggressive energy triggers negative (and often not objectively deserved) responses from others.
    8s at Enneagram conferences are not the 8 that I've known at work. His entire purpose was to make you NOT FORGET his "command" to do everything HIS WAY. And if you didn't like it, you could just step on down the road.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Are INFJ's vulnerable to car crashes?
    By SuperFob in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 10:30 PM
  2. [MBTItm] ENFP-INFP: How much emotion and vulnerability do you show others?
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 05-22-2010, 10:24 PM
  3. Hidden Agendas and Vulnerability
    By Ardea in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 03:18 AM
  4. vulnerable moments...
    By file cabinet in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO