First 1234 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Thanks for all the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Actually, you'd think it would, but I usually hone in on one worst case that seems most likely and obsess about the aspects of that. I'm thinking Fi and Te do a lot to help narrow down what I care most about preventing and what seems most likely to actually occur.
    So do you think that you've just managed to overcome that inclination or do you think that Ne and the 6 impulses don't really combine in that way?

I really try to make situations perfect, picturesque, ideal, etc. I'm an NF, what can I say?
    Yeah, it's hard to know how much that NF idealising factor comes into it.

Well... no... I just meant that sometimes things are surprising and unsurprising at the same time. I don't really have much of a focus on whether I'm getting it right or not... like I said above, I'm much more concerned about the outcome, so I don't really think much in terms of success. I think what I was trying to convey was more along the lines of you can sort of see something coming, but you might be seeing a lot of things coming, and if you're not focused on a specific one, then it can still be jarring when it happens. And it's sort of like having a sick loved one pass away - even if you know it's coming there's still a shocking finality about it when it finally does happen. Even when you know it's coming, it's not REAL yet until it happens, and it can still be very startling when it becomes real, because that's when you have to face the consequences.
    Gotcha.

Oh, well, maybe? I guess because I always anticipate things it's not really surprising that some of them happen. It's just surprising when they happen, or sometimes how. Maybe other people find it strange to observe my response when it's half "oh snap" and half "I could see that coming". I've really never thought about that before.
    The fact that you get what I'm on about makes me think there's some truth in it.

I don't know, it just seems like a push/pull effect of the Counter-Phobic and Phobic; the thrill/shock/rush of surprise, mixed with sobered knowledge and expectation. It's an interesting combination. Perhaps it's the equivalent of how 4s can be incredibly pompous and yet emphasize their inferiority within the same breath.

Very often, to the extent that I don't really believe in a phobic-CP split. I think it can be useful for individuals to identify somewhere on the spectrum if they lean very far either way, but I think most 6s will fall in the middle, with aspects of both.
    I agree it's a spectrum. Anyone that leans too far one way or the other is sure to be of the unhealthy variety. Perhaps the goal for 6s is to achieve a happy balance between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    I’m still trying to work out in my mind exactly how they work differently, but it seems to me that being a 6 makes you be aware of the possible negative outcomes that could happen while Ni helps you predict exactly what will happen. Ni is not just focused on bad outcomes; it just tells you which outcome is most likely whether it’s a good one or not.
    In contrast, I am more focused on the exact turnout. Ni helps me to see whether the bad scenarios that my 6 conjures up are actually likely to happen or not. And it also helps me figure out whether I can do something about it (what effect my actions will have on these possibilities), and if I can, how to strategically go about making things come out as close to how I want them to. I hope skylights will tell me if I’m misinterpreting how we differ with our Ni/Ne.
    Perhaps also Ni wants to know for the sake of knowing, but the 6s impulses want only to know how to avoid negative outcomes?

On the other hand, when my Ni makes a prediction, my 6 makes me try to poke holes in it to see if it holds up. I’ve wasted so much time not trusting my Ni predictions that were right because my 6 makes me hate the idea of blindly trusting something without seeing if it can stand up to scrutiny, even my own insights.
    It's interesting that it makes you second guess your reading of situations. You make it sound more like tertiary Ti.

Yeah, it’s great when this can happen . It’s better than when I go through scenarios and I realize something really bad does have a good chance of happening. Plus, I feel like turning the bad possibilities into “well, it wouldn’t be that bad anyway” is a way of preparing for them since if they do happen, I’m not paralyzed with feeling like oh-no, this is horrible.
    Well if you're inclined to over-think, why not use that to your advantage.

I think it’s both part of being a 6 and an Ni-user since I’ve seen other Ni-doms who aren’t 6s be this way too. Or maybe simply being a Pi-dom does this since Si can help you predict the future too, although in a different way than Ni.
    It could be a Fe factor too. 6s are inclined to care about responsibilities (or lack thereof) and the good of society; combine that with Fe and it's sure to heighten these impulses.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

1. Is it important to you to be able to predict how things will turn out?

It is important for me to predict how important things will turn out and to maximize/control outcomes in my favor. I don't like to be embarrassed.

2. Do you think of potential or hypothetical futures/outcomes for yourself a great deal?

Sure. I'm always thinking about what can happen in the future.

3. Do you ever predict things in an overly optimistic way, or do you tend to always err on the side of caution?

Err on the side of caution. I think about bad things that can happen and how I can prevent them from occurring.

4. When/if you assume the worst, do you do it because you genuinely believe it will really happen, or do you intentionally lower your expectations so you won't end up disappointed/unprepared?

I don't assume the worst. I do consciously lower my expectations because I would rather be pleasantly surprised. I also look for things that could go wrong so I can avoid them (as I said before). I don't like to be unprepared.

5. How do you feel when things turn out better than expected? Are you just relieved, or does it bother you that you went a bit overboard?

Generally happy. Not necessarily relieved though sometimes I am if I have a significant fear of something going wrong or in the case where there was only a small chance of something going wrong but the impact could be severe. I was very relieved today on one of those small likelihood but high impact situations. I can't remember feeling like I went overboard in this kind of situation.

6. Do you often find yourself saying, "I told you so" or, "I knew that would happen" or just generally relishing being right?

I don't relish it but yes, I do sometimes say this to people because I am hoping they will listen to me next time. I think I do this less these days because my experience is saying that doesn't work.

7. Does naivety or lack of foresight in others really bother you? If so, why?

I am sometimes alarmed by it when I have put faith or confidence in someone. The reason is that I am depending on them.

8. Do you feel compelled to get involved or speak up if someone is making bad decisions? Is it hard for you to keep your mouth shut when people are, or a situation is, 'sure to fail' (eg. at work)?

I absolutely do feel compelled to get involved and sometimes can be a bit forceful in my efforts in helping a person to see how they may be going down the wrong path - especially if it is going to affect others. I am mystified by people who keep these kinds of thoughts to themselves. I can even get angry at them if I find out they knew something but didn't speak their mind.

9. How do you feel about risk? Do you enjoy it times or prefer to minimise it (or is some sort of combination of the two)?

I would never jump out of an airplane. I'm cautious with important life decisions. I generally don't think of myself as a big risk taker. On the other hand, I take risks routinely that others would not - such as with career things. I enjoy taking on challenging things and using my persistence, drive and creativity to make stuff happen. I'm not afraid to do things I haven't done before because I have confidence that I can figure it out or work with others to do so.

10. How do you react when something (small or large) negative happens that you couldn't possibly have predicted?

Not well I think. I might get flustered or rant a bit.

11. How do you react when something (small or large) negative happens that you could/should have predicted?

I get angry at myself, especially if it is something I did predict and didn't pay attention to those feelings or perceptions

12. Do you ever find yourself caught between enjoying/remarking at something surprising/shocking, and at the same time claiming you knew it would happen all along? If so, how does that work in your head? Have you missed the contradiction, or are these positions somehow congruent in your head in ways others don't understand?

I probably have done that. The issue may be them being congruent in my head to begin with. I find that if I don't express things verbally or on paper that it doesn't come together, so if I come up with something like this after the fact, it would be that I had a fleeting thought about something earlier but it didn't completely gel at the time.

13. Have you ever been outright tricked, conned or played by someone?

I can think of a few. There was an ENFP I dated for a short bit in college who did a bit of a number on me. I didn't expect that. One other time I figured out I was being tricked/played well after it happened and I'm still angry about what he did. I think partly he was young and didn't know any better and lacked some basic ethics, leadership skills, conscience or judgment. There was a guy who hired me to run a consulting practice once but when I started, he decided not to tell anyone. It seemed like bait and switch. After waiting six months worrying about stepping on people's toes (my peers), I just decided to take over. That was not an easy or pleasant experience.

14. Do you sometimes charge into a situation convinced that things will turn out well? If so, what gives you that confidence?

I explained an example of this earlier. Generally I will have confidence when I have a track record of success with some kind of situation, because I have a set of knowledge or experiences which help me to be prepared. Mostly, I don't think - I just charge in and do. It does help to know what kinds of things can go wrong.

On a related note, one disadvantage of being a 6 is that you tend to criticize yourself after you've had interactions with others on what you could have done or said differently. It's good for a 6 to have an awareness that they are doing this and that it is a distortion because it weakens your confidence.

15. What/whom do you put faith and trust in? What does it take to qualify as being so?

A small number of people who I've grown to know and trust mostly. A lot of times, I get that kind of feeling quickly about people but time and experience solidifies it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Yes, at least a vague idea of what is most likely, plus a few possible alternative outcomes. Details not so important.
    Why aren't the details important to you? Do you just need a basic idea of what will happen and then have the confidence that you will be able to adapt to the rest? If so, what makes you feel assured that you will be able to deal with it?

I would say no, it depends how vague we're talking though. I have a vague idea of things like future career, where I want to live, what I want to do, how I want to improve myself, etc, but I don't spend much time thinking about it or planning out the details.
    Plus, I don't really expect or assume any particular outcome - I actively try to avoid having expectations at all, actually. I just have an idea of what things might be likely to happen, and figure that if something unexpected happens, I can deal with it then.
    This is interesting. I wonder about how that works with Se. 6s need to know what's going to happen but Se basically asserts that everything is contextual and can't really be properly understood ahead of time. Do you ever feel that pull in two directions, or does Se simply temper the 6 impulse to over-think and over-prepare and provides the clarity you need?

Sometimes I feel silly that I worried too much, but mostly I just accept that it's my nature. I don't get super stressed from worrying/analyzing, so I don't think it's a big deal that I often overanalyze things.
    So you don't have too much emotional investment in predicted outcomes?

Yes, but I try to rein it in because nobody likes that.

Yes, because it is a foreign mindset to me and it seems obvious that more foresight would improve people's lives in many cases, so it's frustrating to see them being so shortsighted. I have to admit I look down on it a bit because it's so easy to avoid. It is particularly enraging when the lack of foresight negatively affects others, or worse, me.
    Does it frustrate you because you believe they are capable of foreseeing things but for some reason don't, or because you believe they are incapable of it but should be able to do it? If the first, why do you think people fail to do it?

Minimize, never enjoy. Adrenaline is fun but only when it's simulated risk, not actual risk. Depends what we're risking obviously. Death, no go. 5$, maybe. I guess I risk sports injuries to play, but that's because the benefits outweigh that risk, not because the risk itself is "thrilling".
    So you enjoy simulated risk? You mean things like rollercoasters?

What about adventure sports that involve a sort of controlled risk, where there is still danger but it is limited through equipment and preparation? Things like sky diving or mountaineering - does that appeal to you or does that involve too much danger?

um, bad? surprised? Don't know what you're fishing for here.
    With Q10 and Q11 I was trying to see if there's a difference in your reaction to negative outcomes depending on whether you have power over them. Is it more stressful to have no control at all, or when you had some control but failed to avert the problem?

If I had, I wouldn't know about it, would I? Not to my knowledge.
    True.

Never. You never know what will happen. See: no expectations. However, I am generally convinced that whatever happens, I can find a way to deal with it.
    So you try to stay hands off and let the problems come to you?

If you're confident that you can deal with it, why don't you feel tempted to tackle it head on? Is it simply caution and patience, or is "taking it as it comes" just the most effective way of dealing with things for you?

edit: after reading the other answers, it seems like my SP (or maybe Ti?) nature shifts my overanalyzing tendencies to maybe be less stressful? Like I'll still turn things over in my mind endlessly, but I really don't stress about them. It's just like a mental problem or something, like I'm trying to optimize my future responses, but not really actively worrying in an emotional sense, because I know that whatever happens, I can probably deal with it, and even if I can't, it is very unlikely to be a big deal.
    Yes, I think Ti and Se makes it different. Ne and Ni are inherently more future-oriented than Se, and Ti is going to use an analytical approach which easily takes shifting variables into account. I also think it's a difference between Feelers and Thinkers - perhaps being a Thinker will give you the emotional distance you mentioned.

The differences are interesting, though. It helps to work out which are the core 6 qualities and which ones are more influenced by wings, instinctual variants, JCF or MBTI.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Why aren't the details important to you? Do you just need a basic idea of what will happen and then have the confidence that you will be able to adapt to the rest? If so, what makes you feel assured that you will be able to deal with it?
    I guess because a vague idea seems more accurate than a detailed idea, because it's impossible to predict the details correctly every time so I'm more worried about figuring out the things that I can predict with reasonable certainty. I figure I can deal with it because I've been able to in the past, and I guess because I'm optimistic, ha!

This is interesting. I wonder about how that works with Se. 6s need to know what's going to happen but Se basically asserts that everything is contextual and can't really be properly understood ahead of time. Do you ever feel that pull in two directions, or does Se simply temper the 6 impulse to over-think and over-prepare and provides the clarity you need?
    I'm not really sure how to break them down for myself. I think balance is important in most everything in life, including this area. So for me that balance is predicting enough to have an idea what to expect and mentally (or otherwise) prepare, but leaving it open enough that I'm not too surprised to react to the changes. I guess it could be Ni-Se, or it could just be reflecting my liking for moderation/balance.

So you don't have too much emotional investment in predicted outcomes?
    I don't think so, no, unless it's actually about something emotional, I suppose.

Does it frustrate you because you believe they are capable of foreseeing things but for some reason don't, or because you believe they are incapable of it but should be able to do it? If the first, why do you think people fail to do it?
    Mostly the first - for a few people, the second. I really don't know why, which is why I find it so frustrating! I assume they are putting a priority on thinking about other things instead. I can accept that different people need different levels of "preparedness", though - some people need to have everything planned out to the letter (extreme Js, let's say), whereas others don't want to plan at all (extreme Ps). I seem to be somewhere in between - I need some planning, but also some flexibility to adapt. I think this reflects the ISTP chart-the-course interaction style, which I believe is also the INFJ style, and seems to be over-represented in 6s.
    So you enjoy simulated risk? You mean things like rollercoasters?
    Ha, actually no, because I hate the feeling of falling, but theoretically yeah I like some things along those lines, not others (I also hate heights).
    What about adventure sports that involve a sort of controlled risk, where there is still danger but it is limited through equipment and preparation? Things like sky diving or mountaineering - does that appeal to you or does that involve too much danger?
    Sky diving and bungee jumping I do not think I will ever consider, because I think I would hate them. Not because they are risky necessarily, although I admit it has crossed my mind that it'd be a shitty way to die. Mountaineering (is that just climbing mountains?) I would totally do, although there aren't many mountains around my area. I guess anything where there's a plausible chance I could die is not really something that appeals to me. That includes riding in cars, although I suck it up when there aren't good alternatives to get where I'm going.

It's much more of a risk vs. reward thing than an actively avoiding risk thing. If it's worth it (fun enough, practical enough, etc) I'll take the risk, especially if it's relatively small. But I'd still rather eliminate the risk, in an ideal world.
    With Q10 and Q11 I was trying to see if there's a difference in your reaction to negative outcomes depending on whether you have power over them. Is it more stressful to have no control at all, or when you had some control but failed to avert the problem?
    I'm actually not sure. I'd say it depends on the situation and I'm having trouble thinking of examples. I don't think it makes a huge difference since in the end I don't have control either way, right? I guess there's an added element of kicking myself for not anticipating it, but I don't think it would change my response to the actual situation.

So you try to stay hands off and let the problems come to you?

If you're confident that you can deal with it, why don't you feel tempted to tackle it head on? Is it simply caution and patience, or is "taking it as it comes" just the most effective way of dealing with things for you?
    Yes, I am very much reacting rather than acting. I realize it's not a good tendency, but it's what comes naturally - I observe until I'm comfortable, then jump in. It is just much much more comfortable for me. I guess I have more confidence in my ability to react than in my ability to predict things so well that I can alter the future by acting now.

Or, pure laziness.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

So do you think that you've just managed to overcome that inclination or do you think that Ne and the 6 impulses don't really combine in that way?
    I genuinely am not sure. I would be curious to hear from other Ne 6s. It does happen to me sometimes, but 6ishness has a feeling of haste to react. My guess is that Pe-dom 6s end up leaning on the tertiary to compensate.

The fact that you get what I'm on about makes me think there's some truth in it.

I don't know, it just seems like a push/pull effect of the Counter-Phobic and Phobic; the thrill/shock/rush of surprise, mixed with sobered knowledge and expectation. It's an interesting combination. Perhaps it's the equivalent of how 4s can be incredibly pompous and yet emphasize their inferiority within the same breath.
    I do like your idea, but I'm not really sure that it's a CP/phobic thing as much as a result of constantly running future possibilities in your head while simultaneously living in the flow of eventualities. Simply by logic, some of them are bound to come true, while others are not - so a fair portion of the time, we will be experiencing the cognitive split of having "experienced" a projection in our heads while also actually experiencing it in reality.

@Starry pointed out in another thread that very phobic 6s flip out, too, and I don't know if it's actually accurate that phobicness is always quiet and sober... very much the reverse, actually. If we're defining a phobic person as one who avoids their fears, I think what can happen is that given this "split" scenario, the phobic person is suddenly confronted with a fear and can't escape, which may cause a dramatically heightened stress response in them - not counterphobia, though, because they didn't necessarily seek that eventuality out. In contrast, the counterphobic person would seek that scenario out and push it into being, and may paradoxically even become calm upon the possibility coming to pass, because once it does, they don't have the mental anxiety of "will it happen" anymore.

If anything, I think it's actually a bizarre manifestation of 6 being calmed by the resolved certainty of the event that came to pass, in combination with emerging anxiety from presented by the new developing situation. Hence "I knew it" and "oh shit".

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    612 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

1-2: Yes, I need to predict possible outcomes. If I don't, it's either because I'm apapathetic about the situation or thinking about it makes me too worried. In either case, I'll jump in head first without any plan at all.
    3: Realism?
    4: I'll think it's a possible outcome.
    5: Relieved.
    9: No risk!
    10: I go with it.
    11: I'll loathe myself.
    12: If I pretend like I knew about something, I'm trying not to come off stupid.
    14: My Ni told me so.
    15: Knowledgeable on the subject. Cares about the well-being of others. Is approved by people who meet the previous two criteria and is opposed by people who don't.
    EII
    supine

R|L|oAI
    neutral good
    intrapersonal intelligence

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    It is important for me to predict how important things will turn out and to maximize/control outcomes in my favor. I don't like to be embarrassed.
    Embarrassed by what: being unprepared or for getting it wrong?

I don't assume the worst. I do consciously lower my expectations because I would rather be pleasantly surprised. I also look for things that could go wrong so I can avoid them (as I said before). I don't like to be unprepared.
    So you "prepare for the worst and hope for the best"?

I am sometimes alarmed by it when I have put faith or confidence in someone. The reason is that I am depending on them.
    So it doesn't bother you in general, only when it might undermine your ability to rely on someone?

I absolutely do feel compelled to get involved and sometimes can be a bit forceful in my efforts in helping a person to see how they may be going down the wrong path - especially if it is going to affect others. I am mystified by people who keep these kinds of thoughts to themselves. I can even get angry at them if I find out they knew something but didn't speak their mind.
    You make a good point. You don't want to be that person that didn't speak up and prevent something negative happening. But as many of you have said, people don't like hearing doom and gloom (before or after the fact). Often it's pointless trying to convince people because they won't believe it until it happens. Also sometimes all those warnings can really damage your relationships with other people if you're not careful. My Mum (who is a 6) had great difficulty keeping her mouth shut about my sister's boyfriend. She didn't approve of how he was behaving and could see it was going to go wrong. She had to keep those fears to herself (despite the fact it was killing her to do so) because telling my sister was only going to create tension between them. My sister worked out what she thought anyway - silence can be deafening.

I can think of a few. There was an ENFP I dated for a short bit in college who did a bit of a number on me. I didn't expect that. One other time I figured out I was being tricked/played well after it happened and I'm still angry about what he did. I think partly he was young and didn't know any better and lacked some basic ethics, leadership skills, conscience or judgment. There was a guy who hired me to run a consulting practice once but when I started, he decided not to tell anyone. It seemed like bait and switch. After waiting six months worrying about stepping on people's toes (my peers), I just decided to take over. That was not an easy or pleasant experience.
    Was there something that effected you ability to foresee what was going to happen in those situations? Did you learn specific things to look out for? Did it make you more generally distrusting and suspicious?

On a related note, one disadvantage of being a 6 is that you tend to criticize yourself after you've had interactions with others on what you could have done or said differently. It's good for a 6 to have an awareness that they are doing this and that it is a distortion because it weakens your confidence.
    I though only 4s did this. Social-first 4s anyway
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Thanks for your answers @Randomnity! They help clarify some things.

This made me think, though:

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    It's much more of a risk vs. reward thing than an actively avoiding risk thing. If it's worth it (fun enough, practical enough, etc) I'll take the risk, especially if it's relatively small. But I'd still rather eliminate the risk, in an ideal world.
    How do you guys feel about gambling?

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I do like your idea, but I'm not really sure that it's a CP/phobic thing as much as a result of constantly running future possibilities in your head while simultaneously living in the flow of eventualities. Simply by logic, some of them are bound to come true, while others are not - so a fair portion of the time, we will be experiencing the cognitive split of having "experienced" a projection in our heads while also actually experiencing it in reality.

Starry pointed out in another thread that very phobic 6s flip out, too, and I don't know if it's actually accurate that phobicness is always quiet and sober... very much the reverse, actually. If we're defining a phobic person as one who avoids their fears, I think what can happen is that given this "split" scenario, the phobic person is suddenly confronted with a fear and can't escape, which may cause a dramatically heightened stress response in them - not counterphobia, though, because they didn't necessarily seek that eventuality out. In contrast, the counterphobic person would seek that scenario out and push it into being, and may paradoxically even become calm upon the possibility coming to pass, because once it does, they don't have the mental anxiety of "will it happen" anymore.

If anything, I think it's actually a bizarre manifestation of 6 being calmed by the resolved certainty of the event that came to pass, in combination with emerging anxiety from presented by the new developing situation. Hence "I knew it" and "oh shit".
    You make a good point. I was thinking more in terms of positive behavioural traits for CP/P (ie. excitement in the unexpected vs. security in and knowledge of the expected). Perhaps there could be an equivalent negative split (eg. seeking out unreasonable amounts of fear/danger vs. being overwhelmed by fear/danger)?

I don't know. It's just an idea.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

How do you guys feel about gambling?
    I don't find it appealing. I would much rather invest in moderate-risk stocks with the help of a financial advisor... I feel like the risk:reward ratio is much better.

Though my family sometimes gives a couple $1 scratch-off cards at birthdays and I think those are pretty harmless fun. I won $20 once, lol.

You make a good point. I was thinking more in terms of positive behavioural traits for CP/P (ie. excitement in the unexpected vs. security in and knowledge of the expected). Perhaps there could be an equivalent negative split (eg. seeking out unreasonable amounts of fear/danger vs. being overwhelmed by fear)?
    Yes, definitely, to the seeking out fear vs being overwhelmed by fear! I think of phobic/CP as the flight/fight principle, basically. A person is phobic to the extent that they flee and counterphobic to the extent that they fight.

In terms of positives... I think with CP it's complex, in that it's not really liking the unexpected as much as relishing one's ability to conquer the unexpected, which is a constant affirmation of one's security. A fair amount of (CP?) 6s I think tend to like "controlled" danger, where you have a pretty good idea of what could happen and/or you have a safety net. And then sx doms tend to like intensity and immersion - which is often found in situations that involve the unexpected - so I think instinct variant has an impact on the dichotomy, too.

As an aside, I thought maybe 4s would be likely to experience a similar strangeness of re-experiencing since 4s tend to idealize themselves, and then they could feasibly become that idealization?

More thoughts later when I'm not sleepy maybs.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

@Southern Kross
    I'm a 7w6 (with a relatively weak 6 wing), perhaps my answers will offer some contrast

1. Is it important to you to be able to predict how things will turn out?
    sometimes. as long as I'm safe, I'm generally cool with just letting things happen; however, the more significant the event, the more control I desire and, by extension, the greater lengths I'll go to to predict something.

2. Do you think of potential or hypothetical futures/outcomes for yourself a great deal?
    hello! Ne dom!
    yes, definitely. usually though, they have a more positive twist to them

3. Do you ever predict things in an overly optimistic way, or do you tend to always err on the side of caution?
    usually the former, unless cause for precaution is brought to my attention. if that's the case, I evaluate whether the cause for precaution needs to be taken seriously

4. When/if you assume the worst, do you do it because you genuinely believe it will really happen, or do you intentionally lower your expectations so you won't end up disappointed/unprepared?
    the latter, as my expectations tend to be WAY too high naturally. the 6 wing kicks in sometimes and tells me "dude, are you crazy! what if it doesn't work out like that? you need a backup plan bro!"

5. How do you feel when things turn out better than expected? Are you just relieved, or does it bother you that you went a bit overboard?
    neither, though I don't tend to go overboard, so that might be part of it. generally, what I'm thinking is "well, this is convenient. now, how do I put all this extra profit to good use? "

6. Do you often find yourself saying, "I told you so" or, "I knew that would happen" or just generally relishing being right?
    to an extent. though it's more for 3-ish reasons. it's more for an internal sense of "oh yeah! I won! ". I don't do it in a "you're such an idiot! you should have listened to me!" sort of way, cuz sometimes people need to figure things out for themselves

7. Does naivety or lack of foresight in others really bother you? If so, why?
    depends on the degree. I look down on people who have a lack of ability to think/plan ahead, but there are worse things than being a little naive. as long as they have a general plan, direction and some grasp of cause and effect, they'll gain better foresight eventually.

8. Do you feel compelled to get involved or speak up if someone is making bad decisions? Is it hard for you to keep your mouth shut when people are, or a situation is, 'sure to fail' (eg. at work)?
    that depends if the situation affects me. if not, I will give a suggestion, but it's their project, if they want to fuck themselves in the bum, it's their decision; however, if my well being is on the line, they are getting a piece of mind and will continue to until they make some changes

9. How do you feel about risk? Do you enjoy it times or prefer to minimise it (or is some sort of combination of the two)?
    I don't generally freak out about it, but I probably take more measures to minimize it than my 7w8 cousins

10. How do you react when something (small or large) negative happens that you couldn't possibly have predicted?
    "hmm, okay. well, there was nothing I could have done about this. the question now is: what can I do about it? what can I learn from this?"

11. How do you react when something (small or large) negative happens that you could/should have predicted?
    I'll beat myself up for about 10 minutes before resolving "okay, that is NOT happening again! now how do we deal with this and prevent it from happening again?"

12. Do you ever find yourself caught between enjoying/remarking at something surprising/shocking, and at the same time claiming you knew it would happen all along? If so, how does that work in your head? Have you missed the contradiction, or are these positions somehow congruent in your head in ways others don't understand?
    I typically do this in head or chuckle quietly to myself. they seem congruent enough to me. just because I could have predicted something doesn't mean I can't chuckle while others who fail to fall on their face

13. Have you ever been outright tricked, conned or played by someone?
    yes. it made me feel like a fucking dumb ass

14. Do you sometimes charge into a situation convinced that things will turn out well? If so, what gives you that confidence?
    surprisingly, not usually. I'm not an overly cautious person, but neither am I the best at taking action in the moment, so I like to have at least a base line of competence before charging in (which I tend to do in the more egotistical, grandiose, attention whoring way possible, cuz that's just how I roll)

15. What/whom do you put faith and trust in? What does it take to qualify as being so?
    it's not so much that I "trust" people as much as that I don't suspect them of doing anything in the first place. experience has taught me to be wary in certain instances, but I typically don't feel the need to be wary of people/things.

however, one thing that I definitely do not put faith in is big government. all the inefficient use of resources, conflicts of incentives and abuse/potential abuse of power do not sit well with me. when looking at most laws, I tend to think "great, and that's any of your business because....?"
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire