User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 20 of 20

  1. #11
    Blood of the Exile Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    For me, there’s no such thing as too much intensity. I think that 9 wing has something of a numbing effect on me in that I need something to be fairly over the top just to register, and my sx/sp instinctual stacking drives me to seek out the extremes that will test and expand my boundaries.
    I have so much more to say to this post, but I have to sign off for now. However, I needed to respond to this portion. I am exactly the same way. My friends & parents have commented that the one thing all my exes/lovers/interests have in common is that they're extremely intense. I never thought that "too intense for me" was possible until I met this guy.

    To give you an idea of how this guy was... oh god, where do I begin?! .... his intensity turned me on, but he wanted to control everything I did. That wasn't gonna fly. He punched my windshield and broke it, all of a sudden after a good night, because he was suddenly upset that years ago I'd written a song about some guy I liked who I never even dated. (I write A LOT of songs... so um??) .... after we broke up he threatened suicide. I've had three other guys threaten suicide on me - two of which are generally very stable guys, but I used to have a kind of "conquerer" affect when I was less healthy. I have no patience for that stuff. When he threatened suicide I asked, "DO you want me to call your mother or the cops? I'll go with your mother for now, but don't push your luck and do this again because next time it'll be the cops." Then I called his mother. (He was 27)

    Six months after we broke up he saw my car parked outside his friend's house at 3am; a 4 that I'd known long before we met and who I had a history with. He then stole the 4's guitar from his bedroom (his guitar was the love of his life) and stole his phone and texted girls the 4 had been involved with in the past, texting them gross things so they would get mad at this 4. We were walking down the street together and girls were coming up to him and yelling at him, and I had to set them straight. I knew exactly what was going on and that the CP-6 stole his phone and his guitar, but the 4 refused to believe it because they used to be friends. When I finally put the pieces together in a way that was undeniable, the 4 cried and cried and cried. I was so angry at this CP-6. I finally convinced the 4 to go to the cops, and a whole group of us went to support him; but he refused to press charges as long as his guitar was returned in one piece. The guitar magically "appeared" in his bedroom soon after.

    Anyway, then the 6 proceeded to leave me long texts and messages telling me that he'd started a bank account for me, in my name, so that when I forgive him and we get married, I'd know how much he loves me. I had to tell him once again that he's one step away from a restraining order and if he steps over the line I have photos of my car that he punched and I can get him in serious trouble. He laid off after that. I mean, he was PSYCHO. Too intense isn't even the right way to describe it. He was beyond absorptive and controlling and dominating and psycho. I liked him at first for the excitement and intensity, so it might not be fair to say he was "too intense for me" but rather, his intensity came out in ways that were really unhealthy and destructive.

    After dating someone like him, I was thinking "Gosh, all I want is a cute little sweet withdrawn nerdy adorable thing to cuddle up with.. I need to find me a male kitten.."
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

  2. #12
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,532

    Default

    @Maybe. There is a difference between abusive and intense. Your story is one of control, manipulation and abuse by that CP6.

    Glad you got away from that.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    I need a LOT of intensity. Be it sensual or emotional. I prefer emotional. I've met other STP 8's who give me the "Icon of sin" eyes, and that usually is pretty exciting. But I prefer an intensity that I can't find within myself, something more emotional. That's why I like ISFP 4's and INFJ 4's.

    Even 5w4's are really intense, they're responsible for artwork like this:



  4. #14
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    @Maybe. There is a difference between abusive and intense. Your story is one of control, manipulation and abuse by that CP6.

    Glad you got away from that.
    Yes, aggressive belligerent intensity isn't what I'm looking for. I find that just obnoxious.

  5. #15
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Respect is the foundation for love regardless of type. If the 6 feels they can't respect their partner, then they shouldn't be involved with them. Period. Or, better yet, all people should strive to avoid the behaviors they wouldn't want done to them. A 6 who personally craves certainty shouldn't go around inflicting uncertainty onto others for reasons that ought to transcend respect or the lack thereof.
    You are right.

    As a CP6, I think it is more than mutual respect that I spoke about earlier. It's almost as if our best option is to be friends first or know *something* about their SO before dating (their reputation, etc). This lessens that whole testing thing we do. I don't know how to explain it properly but it goes past normal mutual respect. I've respected most everyone I've dated but if that respect doesn't have the ability to build trust attatched the 6 will keep testing to look for it and always seem to come up short if that foundation isn't there to begin with.

    I hope that makes sense. Like I said, it's hard for me to explain it.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

  6. #16
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    You are right.

    As a CP6, I think it is more than mutual respect that I spoke about earlier. It's almost as if our best option is to be friends first or know *something* about their SO before dating (their reputation, etc). This lessens that whole testing thing we do. I don't know how to explain it properly but it goes past normal mutual respect. I've respected most everyone I've dated but if that respect doesn't have the ability to build trust attatched the 6 will keep testing to look for it and always seem to come up short if that foundation isn't there to begin with.

    I hope that makes sense. Like I said, it's hard for me to explain it.
    Perhaps it has to do with your own self esteem? When I say self esteem, I suppose I could refer to the levels of health in the enneagram. So in my case, I often feel like I'm not ready to enter a relationship until I have a job and sustainable income, and I'm out and about being extroverted. I tend to feel down on myself in this respect. Likewise, perhaps a 6 would have to develope their level of health and the testing would stop?

  7. #17
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    You are right.

    As a CP6, I think it is more than mutual respect that I spoke about earlier. It's almost as if our best option is to be friends first or know *something* about their SO before dating (their reputation, etc). This lessens that whole testing thing we do. I don't know how to explain it properly but it goes past normal mutual respect. I've respected most everyone I've dated but if that respect doesn't have the ability to build trust attatched the 6 will keep testing to look for it and always seem to come up short if that foundation isn't there to begin with.

    I hope that makes sense. Like I said, it's hard for me to explain it.
    I don't know if I understand you completely. I think that if someone behaved towards me in a consistent and dependable fashion, then I'd assume them to be trustworthy. I can see how reputation plays a role in that because if that person then has a lapse, the knowledge that generally speaking they are in fact trusted by others would lead me to give them the benefit of the doubt. I think this breaks down for me when I consider that behaving in a way I believed would inspire trust only seemed to intensify the testing behavior on the 6s part. It's like he couldn't place faith in it until he'd broken it, and then could point at things after they'd fallen apart and say, "I'd told you so."

    I guess I'm curious where respect or lack of respect could play a role in a dynamic that's fueled primarily by one party's reaction to their own fears and insecurities. What was I supposed to have done differently? Perhaps that's where the 8 fails in the 6/8 pairing: we give what we feel is necessary as opposed to what is desired, but I'll be damned if I apologize for that. It could just be that you're too polite to say directly that the behavior I tolerated was disrespectful not because 6s don't understand limits, but because the one I was involved with didn't respect me enough to observe mine. If that was your point was then you're probably right.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

  8. #18
    Blood of the Exile Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    @Maybe. There is a difference between abusive and intense. Your story is one of control, manipulation and abuse by that CP6.

    Glad you got away from that.
    Yeah you're absolutely right. I think 'intense' was the wrong word. I met him and we started dating immediately - I seriously thought, "This will be my first one-night stand; this guy is GORGEOUS".. and then he kept calling me, and I kind of "fell into it." Within a couple months I gave him the boot. I really have zero tolerance for abuse. That's why most of the serious abuse occurred after the relationship. I ended it when he broke my windshield, but he paid to repair it and cried and begged so much, I kind of waffled for another week, and then he said something controlling, like "I don't want you going to town, you might run into [fill in name of guy I had a history with]" and I put my clothes on, said "Don't call me ever again" and walked out the door. This was followed by suicide threats & the phone call I made. It's the most abuse I've ever endured, really, because I am very alert to "abuser" signals and tend to stay away from them. I usually date people I've known for a while, and he was an exception because I had no intention of dating him and really wanted to see what it's like to have a one-night stand. I guess I'm just not one-night stand material, probably because I, myself, am too intense.....
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

  9. #19
    Blood of the Exile Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    A case in point is about a year ago, I made up my mind that I was going to have a ghost chili, which is among the hottest chilies on the planet. I spent an entire year training up to it, working my way up the Scoville scale, and somehow working spiciness into every meal that I had. By the time I was actually ready to take on a ghost chili, I pretty much had a capsaicin addiction, and needed that little bit of pain just to fully enjoy my meal. I was also essentially barred from using spice in meals that I cooked for others, because my thresholds were such that the level of heat required for it to register for me would ruin the dish for virtually anyone else.
    Haha, that is INTENSE! =)

    I think that my relationships run along the same lines. I don’t intentionally seek out extreme personalities, per se, but my particular configuration lends me a certain predilection for their company. That kind of appreciation in turn makes intense people gravitate towards me.
    Same here. I think I've corrected myself in previous posts about the 6 - intensity is not really what the problem was; it was complete psychotic behavior in the form of intense ... smothering? Hyper-controlling? Over the top declarations of love, crying, punching windshields.. that kind of b.s. Intense minus major psychosis is super hot.

    My sister and I are very close and she’s a 6w7. You’re absolutely correct about female 6s emotional depth, and the way they handle their intensity, even as phobics. Pound for pound, I’d say 6s are the most emotionally intense type for others. I think conventional wisdom points to 4s, but while 4s feel deeply, they’re more controlled in the expression of those emotions. There’s an element of performance in it. Not to imply inauthenticity, but I think 4s are as concerned with their sadness as they are concerned with the act of being sad. Or, in other words, ensuring that others experience of their sadness is as the 4 intends. You have to be pretty close to a 4 in order for them to really uncork and let loose on you in an unguarded way.
    I really like the way you phrased this - especially the bolded. I wrote about an ex who was a musician in another post that I think you read..... he was a 4, and that is a perfect description of him. I love that word, "Uncork" .. haha. His heart shone through his music.. every note on guitar sang. If you've ever heard Jeff Beck, he could cover Jeff Beck and do it just as beautifully. He could cover anyone! Improvising with him.. we would just hold out a couple of long notes.. I'd use the mod wheel on the keyboard and he'd get into this intense sliding vibrato and we would synch up.... What...A...Heart. =,) He used to say "I try to make the guitar sing" and oh boy, he did. Most singers don't sing the way his guitar could sing. But in the name of authenticity, he turned down huge offers to make big money or get famous playing. He wanted to do it with his (imaginary) authentic original band..... etc.

    Anyway point being, he was so intense musically, but very hard to "uncork" outside that context =p

    Dude, I’m right there with you on 7s. They do absolutely nothing for me. I don’t really get 5s either. I’ve tended to be attracted to men along the 3-6-9 triangle, plus 4s. I think I respond to the qualities that I’ve bolded, but I need a little bit of an edge in a mate.
    I need edge as well.

    Hmm that's interesting that we share the experience with 7s, but not surprising. =) What don't you get about 5s?

    There's a theory going around that you can sort of "react against" the wings surrounding your type, as in, we would react against 7 and 9 in a way. I think people react against the wing that opposes theirs, usually. So if we're both 8w9s it could also be that we don't want to see 7 in ourselves? I don't think my 9 wing is THAT overpowering - I see 7 in myself too, and times in my life where the 7 looks stronger, but overall it's 9. What about you?

    I want someone who’s solid in himself: confident, together, and quietly charismatic. I prefer a man who’s smarter than I am (or at least intelligent in a complementary sort of way), because I like someone who can point out my blind spots. A driven sort of man who’s always ten steps ahead of everyone around him, who always sees all the angles, but still manages to come off completely unassuming. A good, thoroughly decent, pillar of the community sorta man that you can’t help but respect. A gentleman, in other words.
    You just described someone I know..... and he's a 5. =,)
    5s can have razor-sharp minds, but they can also be cuddly and adorable, and wild animals in bed, because they've got all this underlying lust (soul child 8), and when I bring it out.. it's so hot. =p

    This may also be a product of my 5 & 4 fix though. I do really well with withdrawn types. I love drawing them out. And they're less threatening to my SP than other types. I'm a writer and I write music, too, so I need a lot of "alone time" when I'm not in an office. I need someone who "gets" that rather than me needing to boss them around about it. I like having someone I can be wild and intense with in bed, and have intense, probing conversations with, but also, can sit in a room with me on our separate laptops and ignore each other, or read books side by side.

    I fear a 3/6/9 triader would be too "attached" and not "independent" enough for my taste, but I don't know. I mean, I want intensity, but not co-dependence? I am pretty sure I've never dated a 3, and only the one 6 who I had a bad experience with. The only LONG relationship I've had yet was with a 9w8, and we got along very well, but there just wasn't enough fire long-term, and also, his passive aggressiveness and failure to be straight forward was annoying to me.

    I want a guy who’s a douchebag; damned if I don’t get exactly the douchebag I had in mind. I’m hoping that a healthier realignment of my intention will produce something just as loving and positive.
    Haha, it's funny, I used to be like this. I guess I still want SOME douchebaggery. I need him to be innocent but my definition of innocent leans towards "honest" rather than "caring." I love a man who is selfish and goes after what he wants, pursues his dreams, lets nobody get in his way, stands up for himself, etc. Someone who would say "I'm selfish" but then melts in my arms. It's a strange dichotomy but I want someone who is soft and vulnerable underneath, but hard to reach on the outside - at least to anyone but me. That feeds my SX possessiveness; plus it's adversity over which I can triumph.. plus it's just... hot, peeling away all those layers. =p yummm. Also, I love a man who is tough and independent and has a razor-sharp mind and cuts right through my crap (and everyone else's), but who can break down and cry in my arms. If he can, then so can I.. and I can feel safe being vulnerable with him... which is what I really want more than anything.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

  10. #20
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I don't know if I understand you completely. I think that if someone behaved towards me in a consistent and dependable fashion, then I'd assume them to be trustworthy. I can see how reputation plays a role in that because if that person then has a lapse, the knowledge that generally speaking they are in fact trusted by others would lead me to give them the benefit of the doubt. I think this breaks down for me when I consider that behaving in a way I believed would inspire trust only seemed to intensify the testing behavior on the 6s part. It's like he couldn't place faith in it until he'd broken it, and then could point at things after they'd fallen apart and say, "I'd told you so."

    I guess I'm curious where respect or lack of respect could play a role in a dynamic that's fueled primarily by one party's reaction to their own fears and insecurities. What was I supposed to have done differently? Perhaps that's where the 8 fails in the 6/8 pairing: we give what we feel is necessary as opposed to what is desired, but I'll be damned if I apologize for that. It could just be that you're too polite to say directly that the behavior I tolerated was disrespectful not because 6s don't understand limits, but because the one I was involved with didn't respect me enough to observe mine. If that was your point was then you're probably right.
    It's not about self esteem @djareendee. It's about vulnerability. Something 8 and 6 struggle with, IMO. 6's test to see if the other person is trustworthy. Looking back on my past relationships, I never really "gave in" and tested my SO's when I felt I needed to gain more information on their motives. 6's are excellent troubleshooters and focus very quickly on problems before they surface. So if a 6 is testing it usually means they see an issue. Usually this dissipates the more time I was with that person or it ended because no matter what- I didn't see them as safe places to put my trust. Usually I was correct. They weren't necessarily good people for me but I recognized that that testing behavior doesn't really make for a good foundation. So if a 6 is doing this - they aren't with the right person (in my experience).

    I've been with an 8 and we stalemated. Just seemed to reinforce each others defenses rather than break them down. Still, I get along with 8's very well in non intimate settings.

    I'm with a INFP 4w5 and I never tested him. There was nothing to test as his actions and words were very in sync. Our vulnerabilities are each others strengths so we help each other out where the other lacks.



    I suppose I used the wrong word earlier. It's not about respect it's about trust.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO