• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Can Ti-doms be Type 4?

S

Society

There was at least one member who used to identify as one.

That was me as a newb, when I was relying on tests blindly because I didnt develop a better understanding of typology yet.

(unless you meant some one else, in which case their used to be 2).

G

Glycerine

That was me as a newb, when I was relying on tests blindly because I didnt develop a better understanding of typology yet.

(unless you meant some one else, in which case their used to be 2).
Then there was another one. I say "used to" because he doesn't have his type listed anymore.

G

Ginkgo

I think it would even be rarer than an Fi-e5. The intellectual faculties of Ti aren't limited to introspecting on the subjective qualities the enneagram 4 attends to so dearly.

Little_Sticks

Ti-dom type 4s get superpowers of invisibility. And that's why you never see them. Crazy Induction FTW.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think INTJs or INTPs who think they are 4s are likely 5w4s or just totally mistyped. I don't believe "any combo is possible" when it comes to egram & MBTI.

And I'm an INFP 5w4. What does that tell you? Unless you of course just type me based on persona, then I'm an INTP.

Anyway, there's zero correlation between functions and personality motivations. If INTPs share judging functions with INFJs who are often 4s, then why can't INTPs be 4s? How we think doesn't affect our motivations. Ti types do not lack feeling or are unable to feel. That's if anything a stereotypically 5 trait.

Flatlander

Fair and Square
MBTI Type
iNtj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because a lot of people on Ventrilo and throughout the forum have been telling me that they think I'm a Ti-dom 4w5. I'm wondering if that's even possible. Still, a lot of people think it, so it may indeed be true. By the way, descriptions on Type 4 and how it relates to Ti would also be a benevolent development.

The way I figure, when you're looking at MBTI, Jungian typing, Socionics, and Enneagram, you're looking at four different systems of understanding a person. Three of them may have evolved from the same theory, but they still have somewhat different domains of application.

MBTI covers persona, so an MBTI "T" type can apply to any enneagram, no reason why not 4 if it's their preferred image.

Socionics covers the interaction of your functions in its own construct, so Logic and Ethics have a place in *any* type and I might easily see type 4 being concurrent with PoLR/Hidden Agenda Fi/Fe - for example, wisterias on PerC, who types (last I saw her) as an ILI (Ni-Te with Hidden Agenda Fi) 4w5.

Jungian dynamics are more vague, but what of the type 4 who struggles with Fe or Fi inferior outbursts and drama? Might not inferior Feeling be emblemic within the clingy nature of disintegration to 2?

And so on - you can rationalize it any which way so that type 4 is represented through any cognitive type, so why should this be a surprise?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And I'm an INFP 5w4. What does that tell you? Unless you of course just type me based on persona, then I'm an INTP.

Anyway, there's zero correlation between functions and personality motivations. If INTPs share judging functions with INFJs who are often 4s, then why can't INTPs be 4s? How we think doesn't affect our motivations. Ti types do not lack feeling or are unable to feel. That's if anything a stereotypically 5 trait.

I didn't say INFP 5w4 is impossible or even uncommon.

I DO think there are correlations between the two, so we'll have to agree to disagree. Both are the ego, so I think they overlap & are not two distinct aspects; and cognition & emotion don't have a clear line.

A major e4 trait is a problem with seeing things objectively & impersonally. This is more of an Inferior Thinking issue. A Ti-dom in particular is unlikely to have that issue. e5s are not entirely unfeeling or unemotional, however. It's often noted in enneagram books that 5w4s are more likely to mistype as 4w5s than vice versa because of the stereotype that 5s don't have emotions. I think a feeling type that is introverted is able to be e5 then.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also I wonder why others type you as a 5w4 and not 5w6.

Because they don't think I'm logical/intellectual enough to be 5w6, but they think I'm emotional/imaginative enough to be 5w4. I'm actually much more detail and analysis focused than introspective and dreamy. If I was a 5w4, I would trust my own counsel and not seek endless external input, because I would be more self-aware and just be able to gaze inside myself to see my type.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know, but a 4 is definitely my least favorite type.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I think that an MBTI type is more inclined to be a certain Enneagram type than another, but only in theory. I would say there is some correlation but it doesn't rule out that, in reality, anything is possible. I could see an INTP 4w5 definitely whose Ti adds some needed objectivity to the 4's (sometimes excessively) romanticized ways. ISTP would be a bit harder to picture as would 4w3 for either INTP or ISTP, but I'm not going to rule anything out completely since I feel like any MBTI and Enneagram combination could work. So I agree with what you're saying, minus the "zero correlation" part. :)

Flatlander

Fair and Square
MBTI Type
iNtj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can't relate to them at all and the qualities they seem to prize are almost entirely different from those that I value.

Can you explain your view more in depth? I'm curious on this point especially because I think we may have this in common - I get along fine with 4s on an ordinary basis, but the idea of the type and the actual neurosis of it is repellant, when we get personal I can end up in a neverending argument with them because I'm all about controlling with mind and figuring things out, fixing problems, stuff you have to do to maintain a mindset to find truth, and the 4 seems like the utter opposite. I think the 4 is actually fixated on being truth, which makes an interesting counterpoint to 5.

I actually made a thread about wings/core relation (http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/61507-relation-wings-core.html) to explore the issue, but hadn't gone as much into depth as I could've.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just to contrast [MENTION=15372]Flatlander[/MENTION]'s post, I don't have that problem at all. 6s repel me more, actually.