User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Default Self-Doubt: What is it Like for You?

Please specify your enneagram type, and also MBTI/JCF and tritype if you know it. =)

How do you experience self-doubt?

What causes it?

What do you feel inside? What do you do or show on the outside?

What is self-doubt to you?

What is "self" to you?
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I don't think this quite hits the nail on what you're trying to get at, but there's a lot of self-doubt involved in the following story (it's also ADORABLE):

http://imgur.com/gallery/uruzZ

which I can relate to. And I'm a 9/INTP, so maybe that counts for something.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I'm ENTJ 8w9. Doubt manifests in me as a kind of bouncing between extremes. I'll be all for something one instance, then do an abrupt course correction for reasons that only make sense to me. I never lose the forward motion, but my behavior becomes increasingly erratic. To that extent, I don't really "doubt" so much as "second guess" in rapid succession. Equally confident of one conclusion and then another until I just run out of steam.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

When I was younger, I feel like i used to doubt my own worth a lot more.

Just recently I've been in the process of a life transition. Changing career, moving across the country for grad program, saying goodbye to everyone I care about. I was feeling really at peace with this, self-assured and proud of myself for doing something so bold like that, but right now I'm doubting a little bit if I am making a mistake.

But even if there is a lot of bad stuff I didn't anticipate, most decisions aren't so permanent or you can change course again.... so I'm sure it will be fine.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

I'm a 3w4 and I nearly never experience self-doubt but when I do, it's always detached. I try to look at myself from a stranger's perspective regarding my negative qualities and what might keep me from reaching success. My worth relies on my skill set, talents, etc. I never really show who I am on the outside. I'm always projecting some image and I only know the real me. That's the way I like it.
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    Please specify your enneagram type, and also MBTI/JCF and tritype if you know it. =)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 ESTJ.

What causes it?
    I tend to be certain by default, because it's easier to operate that way, and I try not to spend too much time regretting things because unless I can actually change that past mistake, then there's no point. (Of course, I do regret things, a lot, when I'm in INFP/4 shadow mode. But I digress.) However, when precedent shows that I shouldn't be certain*, then I start to doubt myself. So, for me, self-doubt comes with lack of confidence, and both of those things are rare, which means I'm not as good at dealing with them, or understanding them, as other people are.

*i.e. if I've lost faith in my own abilities and/or judgment, generally because either a. I've failed something similar, or b. I've recently done something, thought I did well, and then was told that I did not do well.
    What do you feel inside?
    Fear. A very childish kind of fear, not an educated, adult fear. Straight from the gut.
    What do you do or show on the outside?
    What I do: Try my best to push my self-doubt aside and get the job done in spite of it. Of course, I may waste time, in there, i.e. delay the task, or I may seriously consider giving up, but inevitably I keep moving.

What I show: Nothing. Hopefully. Not unless I tell someone about it. And when I do, I tend to pretty much look like I'm in control of the situation (even if I'm not). Only if the self-doubt is very severe, will I appear differently, and then I'll look and sound much more subdued. Deflated, I guess, would be a good word for it.
    Doubting my abilities, and my competence.
    What is "self" to you?
    I tend to subscribe to the you-are-what-you-do school of thought. Doesn't matter if you feel like a good person, if you never act on it. Although my Fi (and probably my 3w4) gives me this slightly pretentious sense of something Special deep down, it's very easy for that Special something to be invalidated by external failures, as I do measure my self by my abilities and accomplishments. Doesn't make for the best self-care.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

WALMART

Once I psyched myself out going down a steep grade on some trails, locked up the front brake and ate dirt.

My self-doubts are fleeting; I metabolize feelings well and adapt accordingly. I frequently see opportunity for growth in moving forward so I am quick to act on my emotions. There is always a second voice narrating everything I do - developing contingencies, analyzing scenarios - but my conscious effort in life is to strengthen my normal mind.

I am me, the culmination of all actions taken, forgone, and perceived.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

1w2 so/sx, INFJ

I don't really know if I experience a lot of self-doubt. I think I'm kind of thoughtful and preventative by nature, so by the time I take action, I'm generally pretty okay with what I'm doing.

I suppose there have been a couple of times when I have gone through serious self-doubt after a devastating experience that shook my confidence. While it is still raw, I tend to be really avoidant and the problem just grows bigger and more insurmountable in my head and I don't want to even look at anything that reminds me of the problem. In those cases I guess I can also become more self-indulgent as a way to deal with the anxiety I feel - sleeping more, staying up too late watching mindless stuff, buying junk food, or reading dumb fluffy magazines, none of which I would normally do habitually. When I become more emotionally distanced from the situation, then I am able to take action. The hard part is that I don't know how to expedite that process or how long it is going to take.

The other time that I suppose I experience self-doubt is when I get certain gut feelings and yet am getting conflicting information from the person in question. Until I have solid evidence, I have in the past had a tendancy to be unsure whether I am making a deal out of something that isn't, if I am oversensitive, tired, unreasonable, oversuspicious or something else. I think now I trust my gut more and have learned to watch people's behaviour rather than listening to what they say.

If I'm not sure how to approach a task, I tend to just wait until things sort of all come together. I think it's a Ni thing and it seems to take awhile to see a difficult problem in an integrated way. When it happens though, then the course of action seems to come clear. Again, it's frustrating to not be sure how long that will take, although I think when there are deadlines I can meet them. It just isn't always with a lot of extra margin of time.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

8wX, 4w3, 5w6. Ne-F

More often than not, in retrospect. "Why the F did I do X when I could have done Y and gotten a better result?" ...

If I experience self-doubt before doing something, it can be very visceral, and I recognize it physically. For instance, I'm about to tell a guy that I like him and I feel nauseous. I am about to go on stage and sing lead with a sore throat, and I'm nauseous and my hands are shaking. It's usually handled by taking a deep breath and doing the thing regardless.

What causes it?
    Things don't turn out the way I wanted. Or things aren't moving forward.

What do you feel inside? What do you do or show on the outside?
    I feel out of control, and angry at myself. I'm pretty sure this shows on the outside, though I wouldn't know. When I feel that way, I tend to lock myself in my room and isolate myself, trying to figure out what went wrong; or take a lot of long walks & gym visits with headphones & rage music.

It's not knowing whether I am capable of accomplishing my goals (my purpose)... losing that passion that usually drives me to move forward, because I'm not sure if the goal is pragmatic, if I have the wherewithal or the resources or enough health. Usually, a little bit of isolation, stepping back and thinking will give me a new plan and I'll return to my passions with full force; but in very rare, traumatizing situations, it takes a bit longer to feel that 'drive' and confidence again.

What is "self" to you?
    Passion & purpose.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

friend: Hey DJ want to go climb the side of this building with me?
    Me: Um. I don't have any medical insurance yet, I don't think this is a good idea.

Friend: Dude go pick up that girl
    Me: Um, I've never successfully picked up a girl at a club. What makes you think its going to work now?
    Friend: Dude you just gotta be chill.
    Me: I'm chill at hell
    Friend: Well then you gotta be suave
    Me: I'm not suave at all!
    Friend: Go buy her a drink and put your hand on her back?
    Me: then what?
    Friend: then just start talking about the music.
    Me: I don't know anything about music. how bout I start a conversation with her about sports
    Friend: Dude this is a club, wtf are you trying to do?
    Me: Idunno, pick her up?
    Friend: That'll never work!
    Me: