User Tag List

First 12

Enneagram
    9w8

Please specify your enneagram type, and also MBTI/JCF and tritype if you know it. =)How do you experience self-doubt?

Enneagram--5w4
    MBTI/JCF--most likely--INFJ.

How do I experience self-doubt? I rarely do, because I don't put that much weight on most things. Most things aren't worth doubting myself over or putting myself through any type of mental anguish. I weigh things in the balance. If it's something that matters, really matters, like earth-shattering stuff, then yes, there is the possibility of self-doubt. But even then, it's only because I put the focus on me. It manifests itself as butterflies, jitters and general hyperness.

What causes it? If I focus on myself when I realize that I have to do something huge that is out of my comfort zone, for which I am ill-prepared or something that I deem to be unbearable drudgery, I will experience self-doubt. I think self-doubt, for me, is when I allow my 'false' ego to rise to the surface. When I remember that it isn't about me, that the world is a lot bigger than the feelings of one person, that the true needs of the many outweigh the wants/feelings of the one, then there's not much room for self-doubt.

What do you feel inside? Jumpy, like a racehorse waiting for the gate to open or like there are a million live grasshoppers in my stomach.

What do you do or show on the outside? Voice quivers. Hands/legs shake. Sometimes I just get quiet and pensive.

What is self-doubt to you? Feeling ill-equiped to accomplish a task or deal with a situation that is of some sort of cosmic/eternal and earth-shattering consequence. (asking somebody out does not fall into that category for me, deciding whether or not to pull the plug on a brain-dead parent does.).

What is "self" to you? Self is my eternal persona, housed in this temporal shell and if a thing isn't going to make a huge difference in my life or someone else's I never sweat it. If it isn't going to be remembered five years down the road, I don't sweat it. I remind myself that I have nothing to prove, nothing to loose.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

It stimulates growth and development, to question things and come to novel conclusions previously nonexistent. If we get stuck in a box of thinking we are always right, then we become stagnant and don;t move into greater developments.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Please specify your enneagram type, and also MBTI/JCF and tritype if you know it.
    9w1 5w6 2w3
    *I don't fully understand the connection between MBTI and JCF. I'm an INFP according to MBTI, but based on Jung's Psychological Types, I'm probably Ne-Fi.

How do you experience self-doubt?
    I want to curl up in a ball and apologize to everyone who's ever had to deal with me. I feel like I need to shed my skin - purge myself of stagnancy and incompetence - and try again. That I need to get myself enthused about something larger than myself so that I can take the focus off my failure. It's weird how humility can function in a kind of selfish way - i.e. "I don't matter, so I don't have to worry as much about the quality of my contributions."

What causes it?
    Specifically? I'm most upset by social failures and intellectual failures, so examples would be
    1. not getting positive/conclusive response in a social context; not feeling helpful, wanted or understood
    2. not being able to explain something as precisely as I'd like
    3. struggling to grasp a concept
    4. inability to affect social atmosphere for the better

What do you feel inside? What do you do or show on the outside?
    Just guilty and uncomfortable in my own skin. I don't think I express self-doubt too often. The feeling itself motivates me to gain control; if I don't feel it, I at least want to act like I do. Although I can remember a few times where self-doubt made me feel and appear warmer and more vulnerable. And then there are times when I just make light of it.

What is self-doubt to you?
    A sense that I'm limited by my faults. It reminds me of claustrophobia; I know my potential/ideal self is fuller than what I am at the moment, but it's constantly being compressed by my current capabilities. Self-doubt is a reminder to break down the walls and expand.

What is "self" to you?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    Please specify your enneagram type, and also MBTI/JCF and tritype if you know it. =)
    ESTP 8w9 sx/so

when I'm asked to do something I have little to no experience with and am expected to perform highly.

What causes it?
    see above

Inside I feel logically aware that I can't do it, or if I try, it not going to work out.

Feeling like you can't do something or perform according to other's expectations.

What is "self" to you?
    my actions, dreams and life decisions are a manifestation of who I am, but who I am isn't easy for me to put to words without blindly using typology.

When asked to describe myself I used to always tell people, "I'm nice, funny, and adventurous." The end.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    Please specify your enneagram type, and also MBTI/JCF and tritype if you know it. =)
    9w8, 7w8, 4w3 So/Sx ENTP Ne-Ti

Second guessing my needs/wants/value.

What causes it?
    There is an element that is always there, it's separate from confidence for me. When it's caused by external factors it's someone giving a POV that clashes with my stance in a way that has merit and seems more valid than my own POV, or something that looks like rejection/disconnection from someone I care about, when it comes from an internal place it's when I'm stressed/disintegrating and E6-like qualities come out questioning what I thought I knew, doubting my own thoughts and value.

Inside it can be anything from depressed feelings or anger to extra questioning from introspection trying to work through it. Outwardly I show little, however I will tend to question more, especially if my source of self doubt is my value according to another person, I'll try to test their reactions to seek validation.

Second guessing myself, or seeing no self value.

What is "self" to you?
    My internal being.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I don't really know my enneagram type. I'm extremely sceptical about the system. My most probable type is 8w7.
    I think I'm no good in terms of society's expectations thought of in the long term. That is, I will never be someone who rules many people.. I will never be someone who makes the perfect theorem that many people will follow.. etc
    What causes it?
    Comparing my situation to the "norm" or "optimum".
    Inside, I feel sadness. Outside, not anything immediately. On the long term, I show that I don't appreciate myself that much.

Questioning if one self is adequate.
    What is "self" to you?
    The whole that comprises my parts, that is, me. Psyche, ideas. The unique things that are me. Mostly, ideas, considerations, ponderings.

p.s. I think I have a "loose" self as opposed to "firm" self atm, if I consider my cultural aspects and how I relate to them. If I consider how my "self" relates to some arbitary fixed point, then I'd have to say my self is very stabile.

Hope this helped.
    -S