• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] E5 "Less is More" vs. E7 "More is More"

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
How do E5s and E7s relate to this?
(fixers too)

Also, if you guys think this has merit, where would you place E6 in this picture?

madhatter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do relate to "less is more", except that I do have my "more is more" moments. I can never have enough books.

Hmmm, where would 6 fit on this scale? My brother the 6w7 would fall on the "more is more" side of things. But I don't know any 6w5s.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I relate to "less is more" a lot, especially when it comes to human social interactions. I don't want to hug or give out too many hugs for example, because I think it devalues the value of hugging someone. On the other hand, I'm pretty hoarding about the things I find important like time, energy and interests. My music library keeps growing, so does my library and I often feel I can't buy enough. It must pertain to one of my interests though or something I enjoy doing/find fascinating for me to feel that way.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I relate to "less is more" a lot, especially when it comes to human social interactions. I don't want to hug or give out too many hugs for example, because I think it devalues the value of hugging someone. On the other hand, I'm pretty hoarding about the things I find important like time, energy and interests. My music library keeps growing, so does my library and I often feel I can't buy enough. It must pertain to one of my interests though or something I enjoy doing/find fascinating for me to feel that way.

This.

Less is definitely more but some things...well, let me just say that I have been known to go overboard.

I'm also prone to bouts of self-indulgent, hedonistic gluttony under very intense stress (disintegration to 7?).

The 6w7 I know is definitely on the 'more is more' side.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I lean more towards the "less is more" side but I can sometimes have the "more is more" attitude.

In terms of possessions, I'd much rather have fewer, but higher quality things than several things of poorer quality.

S

Society

I am not sure to what extent this simplification fits the bill:

I have a rule that all my posessions must fit in my suitcase.
I love designing my ideas according to princibles of minimaism.
I gamble on casuality chains to make the max affect for the min action.
I.e asking physclicsts if an idea would work hoping they'll steal it.

I am certeinly indulgent in many areas, but it would be difficult to say one of those lines defines me more then the other, except maybe on first impressions (my belly being more visible then any of the above).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I strive for a rather minimalistic lifestyle, so I lean toward the "less is more" end of this. I will attempt to make something I want out of what I already own, before I'll resign myself to making a new purchase.

That said, I will hoard books, music, medications, & skincare items like nobody's business.
(perhaps the latter 2 on this list^ account for the 6-wing neuroticism I've heard about, or it's part of being sp-dom, I dunno)

Lately I've indulged in purchasing many items for my cat. But that's not my fault- he asked me for them.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah, i'm also pretty minimalistic with material stuff etc, so i don't think this rule applies.
but i'll leave another idea for consideration: i read somewhere that Si types tend to be minimalistic and Se the opposite. take it from there. (see, even my posts are minimalistic! :p)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, i'm also pretty minimalistic with material stuff etc, so i don't think this rule applies.
but i'll leave another idea for consideration: i read somewhere that Si types tend to be minimalistic and Se the opposite. take it from there. (see, even my posts are minimalistic! :p)

May depend on where the function is/what it's stacked with.

STJ's can be pretty minimalist- even going as far as tossing other people's things into the trash- assuming they are not necessary/cluttering the place up, but almost every SFJ I know is a hoarder of some sort (Si+Fe sentimentality?). NTP's/NFP's seem to be minimalistic for the most part, aside from perhaps a few random collections of a certain thing. As for Se people.. they're all over the map. I'm not speaking in absolutes, though.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I definitely tend to be less as more with regards to social interactions. I feel no need to "be friends with everybody", and in fact, I feel as though I can only have a few friends at any given time. If it's something work-related, I like to engage in only the minimum amount of communication to get the job done. I tend to get irritated in conversations at work someone engages in "extra" communication, because then I feel as though I am expected to match that level of engagement. I perceive asking this of me to be unfair. It's as though they are imposing an obligation on me to observe certain "forms" that have nothing to do with the issue we're actually solving. For instance, asking me "How are you?" demands a response from me, yet no information is being exchanged, and I'm getting no emotional pleasure out of it. It just eats up time we could have used to solve what's going on with the email account, or something. These "forms" are draining for me, because these conversations usually have very little to offer to feed my Ti.

Another example is asking about current events, like the Boston bombing. My usual response to tragedies is humor, but I can't use that on a professional level, because I might offend people who don't go in for that kind of humor, so I have to devote energy to finding an "appropriate" response. All for something that has nothing to do with the purpose of the telephone call!

(It's not that I don't feel anything. It's more that I don't see a point to expressing those feelings, since most people are going to be on the same page, and I'm not going to learn anything by doing so. I think the way I handle this stuff is very Alpha Quadra. It's also that it's a pretty strong feeling, and frankly, I won't express strong feelings voluntarily unless I reach a certain point in my relationship with someone.)

I definitely hoard books, or obscure/quirky odds and ends I stumble upon and can get cheaply. I also like eating well, so a lot of my disposable income is directed towards food.

I suppose I could be more generous with regards to emotional displays, but it really doesn't come easy.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I definitely tend to be less as more with regards to social interactions.If it's something work-related, I like to engage in only the minimum amount of communication to get the job done. I tend to get irritated in conversations at work someone engages in "extra" communication, because then I feel as though I am expected to match that level of engagement. I perceive asking this of me to be unfair. It's as though they are imposing an obligation on me to observe certain "forms" that have nothing to do with the issue we're actually solving. For instance, asking me "How are you?" demands a response from me, yet no information is being exchanged, and I'm getting no emotional pleasure out of it. It just eats up time we could have used to solve what's going on with the email account, or something. These "forms" are draining for me, because these conversations usually have very little to offer to feed my Ti.

Another example is discomfort when people not in my "inner circle" ask about current events, like the Boston bombing. My usual response to tragedies is humor, but I can't use that on a professional level, because I might offend people who don't go in for that kind of humor, so I have to devote energy to finding an "appropriate" response. All for something that has nothing to do with the purpose of the telephone call!

(It's not that I don't feel anything. It's more that I don't see a point to expressing those feelings, since most people are going to be on the same page, and I'm not going to learn anything by doing so. I think the way I handle this stuff is very Alpha Quadra. It's also that it's a pretty strong feeling, and frankly, I won't express strong feelings voluntarily unless I reach a certain point in my relationship with someone.)

I definitely hoard books, or obscure/quirky odds and ends I stumble upon and can get cheaply. I also like eating well, so a lot of my disposable income is directed towards food.

I suppose I could be more generous with regards to emotional displays, but it really doesn't come easy.