• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Differences between E1 and E8

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I took down the OP because it was over-stated and did not get the point across that I wanted.

But let's discuss the differences between E1 and E8.

According to Naranjo:

E1: Obsessive Perfectionist
E8: Sadistic Personality

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
E8 walks into a bathroom in a restaurant. The bathroom is disgustingly dirty. Let's assume it's a female E8. She squats, does what she has to do, and leaves a bigger mess. She doesn't bother cleaning up after herself. (If the place was clean in the first place, she would have wiped the seat before she used it and afterwards; but this place didn't take care of their bathroom so fuck em; now they'll have to deal with her mess on top of the mess they already had. She's not dirtying HER hands because of THEIR bullshit.) She washes her hands twice and moves on.
[/Sadism]

No. I would immediately let management know about the conditions. I may use the facilities but I wouldn't go out of my way to leave a bigger mess.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I would not *go out of my way* to leave a bigger mess. It's just that I wouldn't dirty my hands cleaning up after myself, therefore subjecting myself to touching THEIR mess and germs. It's not my problem.

It's their responsibility to keep up their own facilities, not mine. The only exception would be if it was a restaurant where I ate often, and usually it was clean; or if the rest of their services were fantastic and I thought they might be having an off-day. But the point is, I'm not gonna concern myself with fixing the rest of the world. I'm going to do what I need to do. Dog eat dog world; basic principle of type 8.

You must be a kinder or healthier sadist than I. ;)

I am curious, how do you see sadism in yourself?

Hmm. The only time I have ever gotten pleasure out of inflicting cruelty, pain, humiliation...etc is on my ex-husband. I truly loved crushing him into the nothing he is now.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I nodded in agreement at the Type 1 paragraph in the OP, and when I got to the Type 8 paragraph, I actually recoiled in disgust. Why the hell would you do that? You say you're punishing the establishment itself, and its owners, but most of the suffering that will come from further soiling of the place, would be felt by other innocent bathroomgoers JUST LIKE YOU. Probably the most counterproductive form of protest I've heard of in a long time.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
E8 walks into a bathroom in a restaurant. The bathroom is disgustingly dirty. Let's assume it's a female E8. She squats, does what she has to do, and leaves a bigger mess. She doesn't bother cleaning up after herself. (If the place was clean in the first place, she would have wiped the seat before she used it and afterwards; but this place didn't take care of their bathroom so fuck em; now they'll have to deal with her mess on top of the mess they already had. She's not dirtying HER hands because of THEIR bullshit.) She washes her hands twice and moves on.
[/Sadism]
That's not E8, that's cp 6

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope. It's sadism.
Disagreed. It was basically a silly form of payback. And wanting revenge (politically incorrect term) or justice (politically correct term) doesn't make anyone a sadist, as every intelligent human being values reciprocity.

Another way to look at this is: 8s have no shame, or deny shame. That is the *essence* of what it means to be a sadist. Sadism is, in essence, the denial of shame - you can't be shamed; instead you shame the person who tries to shame you; hence, sadism.
And I don't think sadism is related to shame.

So I must wonder what is it here that would motivate a type 6 to do this, based on their most basic nature? Is it fear? Is it paranoia? I don't see any paranoia or fear here. Paranoia about germs is a decent case but then why not just avoid the area altogether? Also 6 is a super ego type. Where is the super ego? Where is the doubt ? Where is the ambivalence about authority? How does this demonstrate in a blunt, disgusting way, the deeper issues of type 6?
There is more to life than fear and authority - not everything has to revolve around these things for 6s. Problem is cp 6s deal with frustration/anger very poorly, so their coping mechanisms are fairly irrational.

Also, E8 might be the the least likely type to be content with a quiet anonymous protest in a restroom - they're pretty loud when revolted.

I have to first understand what "disgustingly dirty" entails. Is it a few drops of pee on the toilet seat or is there shit everywhere or what?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION] makes some really good points.

Sounds like a new (and better) example would be in order? Maybe something more related to dominance and/or power, since that's something Eights really need, and Ones don't care a whole lot about.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=17911]Maybe[/MENTION]

I think your example has more to do with Si than enneagram. And your use of the word "sadism" seems kinda strange to me.

E8 Sadism is when an 8 spars you and says, "I will fucking destroy you, everything I can do far outweighs anything you could do."
The other person naturally says something like, "oh yeah hot shot?"
E8 wins the sparring match and destroys the other person just like they said they would. Other person feels bullied.

However, I've yet to spar an E1. So I don't know how they fight. They'd probably keep their mouth shut or be pretty noncompetitive.

As a dude, if I went into a dirty gas station bathroom, I would wipe the toilet seat, then I would put a couple layers of toilet paper onto the seat and do what I gotta do and I wouldn't complain about it. However, I think this also has to do with SLE Si ignoring, and the fact that dirty uncomfortable living conditions are something that ESXP's naturally tuned out when need be. I would primarily be concerned with avoiding std's or something.

The only thing I know about E1's are what I see from INFP 1's. So I really don't know much about E1's.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Disagreed. It was basically a silly form of payback. And wanting revenge (politically incorrect term) or justice (politically correct term) doesn't make anyone a sadist, as every intelligent human being values reciprocity.

There is more to life than fear and authority - not everything has to revolve around these things for 6s. Problem is cp 6s deal with frustration/anger very poorly, so their coping mechanisms are fairly irrational.

Also, E8 might be the the least likely type to be content with a quiet anonymous protest in a restroom - they're pretty loud when revolted.

I have to first understand what "disgustingly dirty" entails. Is it a few drops of pee on the toilet seat or is there shit everywhere or what?

[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION] makes some really good points.

Sounds like a new (and better) example would be in order? Maybe something more related to dominance and/or power, since that's something Eights really need, and Ones don't care a whole lot about.

Haha at this point i am wishing I didn't make this thread. It came up in sort of a joke conversation with a friend who is an E1. I am seriously on the verge of erasing the original post because I don't think I presented it right and now it's being totally misunderstood, so it's sort of a waste of a thread. Not blaming you guys.

Anyway, what the scenario was, is this:

You go into the bathroom and it's absolutely disgusting. Like really bad, not being managed; the place just didn't do their job. What my E1 friend was getting at, is, would you tell the management, and would you try to clean it up for them?

My response was basically- I will say this now, I'm *very* clean. My house is clean. When I visit a friend, their house is left cleaner. I don't go around making messes. If I see trash on the street, I even pick it up and throw it out if it's not too gross (ie if it's paper rather than food). I'm not a disrespectful, war-mongering freak who goes around trying to fuck shit up. That couldn't be further from the truth.

However, in a situation where I either have to dirty myself with other people's feces and urine, because management did not do their job, I would be most likely to simply squat, do what I must do, and leave, even if I were to leave a bigger mess than when I came. The only reason for this is because in order to clean it up, I would have to get very, very dirty myself. And I can't really "hold it" and do it somewhere else because I have a chronic illness and such things give me a stomach ache.

So, what I was saying is, that I have a general mentality where it's not my duty to do someone else's dirty work. I might help out if I'm in the mood, but it's not gonna eat away at me if I don't. That being said, if you're my friend I'll do almost anything for you! If you're my family, ditto. If I'm in a restaurant where I go all the time, and their bathroom is dirty one day, I'll go and tell the management because I look out for my people. But if I just feel like a place is dirty and irresponsible, I'm not going to let it ruin my day in any way. I'll do what I have to do and leave, rather than worry about cleaning it or going out of my way to tell management. This might even be a slight exaggeration. If I had extra time, I'd tell management. If there was a better bathroom nearby, I'd use that one instead. There are a lot of "ifs." And in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM would I piss on the toilet to "get revenge." The mindset is, you didn't do your job so you made it impossible for me to do mine, that's not my problem, and I'm not going to worry about it all day.

I think I over-stated this in the OP, and it got interpreted in that over-stated way, and blown out of proportion, straying from my original point. The original point that I meant to demonstrate was, while an E1 (like my friend) would get really angry at the state of the world, tell management, and be upset about the state of the world afterwards, I would just accept this as part of the way the world is and use it for what I need because if you give me bullshit, it's not my job to fix it. I would NOT piss on the toilet for revenge, do this to make a point, try to prove something, or any of the other interpretations that were mentioned in this thread!! I am simply saying that I'd take what I need from it and leave, and not think about it any more. That is all. I'm sorry if I did not present this case very well.

However, there is a noteworthy difference between E1 and E8: One is an obsessive perfectionist, the other is a sadist. Sadists will take what they need from the situation and leave and not feel guilty. Obsessives will try to correct it. That is all I was trying to demonstrate. I am sorry it was so offensive to some of you, but it made sense in my head at the time.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram

I think your example has more to do with Si than enneagram.

This could be the case. I have inferior Si.

Check the above post too. I think the example I used was overstated and got a bit blown out of proportion what I meant by it. I'm gonna try to take this thread down =p because I just don't think the case was presented correctly - my fault.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
However, I've yet to spar an E1. So I don't know how that would turn out.
I'm not sure, but treating it like a thought experiment, I wonder if it'd be like this: A nod of the head, face either stoic or with a cocky half-smile, and a curt comment: something like, "May the best man win." Then, if they lose, they fume internally but acknowledge externally that you're better than them -- whereas if they win, they internally acknowledge that they're better than you, and externally shake your hand to tell you that you did a good job too.

Edit: I'm not sure if I'd call Eights sadists by nature. More so than Ones, maybe, but I know some very nice Eights, like [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION], who I would never call sadistic. Unless you agree with that definition of Eight-ish "sadism", Rex?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
8's are not sadistic by nature. All the negative qualities of an 8 are generated by anger, which is also generated by a sense of rejection, alienation, and other things. The sadism is often when happens when the 8 has essentially given up on the thought that other humans are worth their oxygen.

In the case of ESTP 8's, the sadism comes out when the ESTP is angry or has finally given up and consciously or unconsciously decided that love is an unattainable prospect.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I'm not sure, but treating it like a thought experiment, I wonder if it'd be like this: A nod of the head, face either stoic or with a cocky half-smile, and a curt comment: something like, "May the best man win." Then, if they lose, they fume internally but acknowledge externally that you're better than them -- whereas if they win, they internally acknowledge that they're better than you, and externally shake your hand to tell you that you did a good job too.

Edit: I'm not sure if I'd call Eights sadists by nature. More so than Ones, maybe, but I know some very nice Eights, like [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION], who I would never call sadistic. Unless you agree with that definition of Eight-ish "sadism", Rex?

8's are not sadistic by nature. All the negative qualities of an 8 are generated by anger, which is also generated by a sense of rejection, alienation, and other things. The sadism is often when happens when the 8 has essentially given up on the thought that other humans are worth their oxygen.

You guys need to brush up on your reading.

Naranjo, who is one of the most respected sources for enneagram, if not THE source, has a chapter about each enneagram type. These are what they are:

Type 1: Obsessive-perfectionist
Type 2: Histrionic Personality
Type 3: Hysterical Personality/ The marketing Orientation
Type 4: Masochistic Personality & Envy
Type 5: Pathological Detachment/ Schizoid
Type 6: Paranoid/ Cowardice
Type 7: Narcissistic Personality
Type 8: The Sadistic Personality & Lust & Anti-social personality
Type 9: Psycho-spiritual Laziness

Naranjo spares nobody. If anything, the title of Type 1 is the least offensive.
But saying that 8s are not sadistic is completely going against basic enneagram theory. Type 8 IS the sadistic personality.

That being said, I get no pleasure out of hurting others just for its own sake. The meaning of sadism is more complex than that. I did not type at 8 because it's cool or because 8s are badasses and leaders. Enneagram is about your core motives and fears and the fucked up compulsions underlying your personality.

If you don't believe me, go and look up Naranjo on enneagram and see what he has to say. I am all for re-interpretation and for hearing opinions, but if you're going to completely deny the basic fundamentals of enneagram, why study the system at all? It's like studying math and saying that 2 + 2 isn't 4.

[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION], despite the offensiveness of this post, I am also kind, caring, and don't come off like a 'sadistic' person. Nobody who knows me would say I'm mean or cruel or anything of the sort. However if you dig way under my personality those tendencies are there. That will be the case with anyone of any type. They might be mature, get past their compulsions, but those basic tendencies are there or else they're mistyped. Saying that [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION] isn't sadistic, is, in essence, accusing her of being mistyped. This is what enneagram *means* - so she may be the nicest person in the world but those underlying tendencies and patterns of the sadist are there if she's an 8.

However, it's worth mentioning, none of the other enneagram patterns are any better. If you want to glorify yourself and your goodness, enneagram is not for you. It's about seeing the ugly, the gross, the disgusting behaviors and owning up and weeding them out.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, I hated Naranjo before, and here are some more reasons to hate him. :laugh:

Also, I've heard a LOT of criticism of his treatment of Type 8 before, on the forum. Especially from [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION], but I know there were others who criticized it.

Edit: I remain skeptical, but I'll wait on more 8 input. No reason for me to disagree if most 8s see themselves as internally sadistic.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7

woah there, relax gurl.

I read naranjo. It describes the NEUROSES of the types, not how the type is on a daily basis. So when an unhealthy person gets unhealthily unhealthy and unhealthful, they become sadistic and sociopathic.

This doesn't mean I walk around with a hightened emotional threshold and shark eyes bullying people all the time. It just means if things devolve, I'll get that way.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't understand what the definitions used to explain the behavior has anything to do whether it's PC or not? I also think the part in bold is a projection on your part. Reciprocity or acts of reciprocity were never mentioned and is not the topic of this thread so I fail to see the relevance.

Read Naranjo then. It's related because sadistic behavior is about covering senses of shame and so on.

She never mentioned fear or authority so I am not sure why you're bringing this up. You're not answering her questions; you're operating based on assumptions.
I think you confuse 8s with 6s.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@Maybe

I think your example has more to do with Si than enneagram. And your use of the word "sadism" seems kinda strange to me.

E8 Sadism is when an 8 spars you and says, "I will fucking destroy you, everything I can do far outweighs anything you could do."

Not necessarily. CP6s are prone to do this a lot. 8s don't need to prove that they can destroy people by taunting them since they already know so they just do it when required.
However, I've yet to spar an E1. So I don't know how they fight. They'd probably keep their mouth shut or be pretty noncompetitive.
1s can be very competitive. They just don't show it in the same way.
As a dude, if I went into a dirty gas station bathroom, I would wipe the toilet seat, then I would put a couple layers of toilet paper onto the seat and do what I gotta do and I wouldn't complain about it. However, I think this also has to do with SLE Si ignoring, and the fact that dirty uncomfortable living conditions are something that ESXP's naturally tuned out when need be. I would primarily be concerned with avoiding std's or something.

Missing the point. She already addressed that not everyone is going to act or think or behave the same way. The example she provided was more to exemplify the nature of sadism, vengeance and lust and how it contrasts to 1 logic.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
That being said, I get no pleasure out of hurting others just for its own sake. The meaning of sadism is more complex than that. I did not type at 8 because it's cool or because 8s are badasses and leaders. Enneagram is about your core motives and fears and the fucked up compulsions underlying your personality.

How would you define sadism?

Also, no one accused you of typing yourself because 8's are badass leaders.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram

woah there, relax gurl.

I read naranjo. It describes the NEUROSES of the types, not how the type is on a daily basis. So when an unhealthy person gets unhealthily unhealthy and unhealthful, they become sadistic and sociopathic.

This doesn't mean I walk around with a hightened emotional threshold and shark eyes bullying people all the time. It just means if things devolve, I'll get that way.

Agreed. Like I said to [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] - I don't walk around in destructive mode. I've got a healthy relationship with my family, friends I've been friends with all my life, a loving romantic partner, and I am able to hold a job when I'm physically healthy (I have a chronic illness). My grades in school were always excellent and my performance at work was always tops. I am not anti-authority, anti-world, fuck-everyone criminal. But underneath all of my values and my growth, maturity, choices; I'm still a sadist. This was difficult to come to terms with.

But I wouldn't say that the behaviors are not always there. The potential is always there. The idea is to weed out the bad stuff in your personality over time so that you own your personality, rather than it owning you, so to speak. That doesn't happen by denying that the basic tendencies are always inside of us.

So yes, I agree with you, in essence.