User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 59

  1. #31
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Wait so my understanding is off? or are you just being hypothetical?
    In that post your understanding seemed off. The way I read it at least.

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  2. #32
    Blood of the Exile Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    First you need to realize that Naranjo is not God. After that, we may be able to have a talk about 'operating based on assumptions'.

    I'm not gonna provide more material for you to nitpick over.
    It's not nitpicking... it's just a conceptual understanding.

    just posted this:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post2058452

    Yes, I did just cite my own post. *fans myself*
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

  3. #33
    Blood of the Exile Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    so... when I'm angry, and in my fit of rage I go buy 6 pounds of mac'and'cheese and blast velvet acid christ... I'm taking back what the world took from me?
    Sounds like gluttony. Lust is about triumph over adversity. The "kill" is not enough without the chase, so to speak.

    What would you say is the difference between lust and gluttony?
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

  4. #34
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    Sounds like gluttony. Lust is about triumph over adversity. The "kill" is not enough without the chase, so to speak.

    What would you say is the difference between lust and gluttony?
    my definition of lust and gluttony are more or less the same thing. When I want something, I want more of it until it becomes boring and I don't want it anymore (for the time being). Isn't gluttony an E7 word? Because if this conversation is going into the direction of "You must only use words verbatim to the theoretical texts" then I'm out of here. Syntax arguments are a waste of my time.

  5. #35
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    It's not nitpicking... it's just a conceptual understanding.
    Perhaps. Still, I don't have much patience with definitions when the very nature of the discussion isn't objective enough.

    just posted this:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post2058452

    Yes, I did just cite my own post. *fans myself*
    I read it - interesting stuff.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  6. #36
    Blood of the Exile Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    my definition of lust and gluttony are more or less the same thing. When I want something, I want more of it until it becomes boring and I don't want it anymore (for the time being). Isn't gluttony an E7 word? Because if this conversation is going into the direction of "You must only use words verbatim to the theoretical texts" then I'm out of here. Syntax arguments are a waste of my time.
    Lol, I can't stand arguments like that either. I didn't type at Ne-F for nothing. I can't stand nitpicky details myself, but I'm very interested in concepts.

    I'm actually asking because it's an interesting topic. And I am curious your take on it. It's written about in a lot of books, too, the lust/gluttony line. I'm not here to tell someone the word they used is in the wrong spot or they're mistyped or nitpick anything. But those two concepts are closely related at least at surface, and one is E8 and the other is E7, and it is a topic that is worth discussion, methinks.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

  7. #37
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    Lol, I can't stand arguments like that either. I didn't type at Ne-F for nothing. I can't stand nitpicky details myself, but I'm very interested in concepts.

    I'm actually asking because it's an interesting topic. And I am curious your take on it. It's written about in a lot of books, too, the lust/gluttony line. I'm not here to tell someone the word they used is in the wrong spot or they're mistyped or nitpick anything. But those two concepts are closely related at least at surface, and one is E8 and the other is E7, and it is a topic that is worth discussion, methinks.
    Well, from what I understand, E7's are about gathering a WIDE BREADTH of experiences and constantly being active, while E8's are about gathering INTENSE experiences.

    Looking back at my life, its mostly a collection of intense experiences interspersed with long periods of nothing notable. My 3 week expedition, building my trailer from scratch and moving to colorado with no plan, going 5 days straight of video games then 48 hours straight of paintball on the weekend.

    From what I understand, E7's are mostly just like, oh lets go fishing for an hour. ok that's boring, now lets go rock climbing for an hour. ok that's boring, now lets go wine tasting for an hour... etc.

    When I travel to new places, I have no qualms with a day set up with a wide breadth of experiences, because I want to experience as much of the culture as possible. But as far as that being a lifestyle... HELL NO! Freaking ADHD. Sit down and watch the god damn movie, stfu and eat your popcorn and cuddle me in silence.

  8. #38
    Blood of the Exile Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Well, from what I understand, E7's are about gathering a WIDE BREADTH of experiences and constantly being active, while E8's are about gathering INTENSE experiences.
    Yeah that makes sense. Because 7's have a passion for "planning." So once they're doing one thing, they are apt to think about the next thing. Still though , my father is a 7w8 and he likes intense, too; he wants his music loud and his relationships deep and so forth. He also can be very 'present in the moment' as long as his mind is engaged and his narcissism is satiated - in other words, if you give him an audience who loves him (which could be anything from an actual audience when he's on stage to a couple of friends who think he's the best thing ever) he's happy as a pig in shit, for many hours.

    Looking back at my life, its mostly a collection of intense experiences interspersed with long periods of nothing notable. My 3 week expedition, building my trailer from scratch and moving to colorado with no plan, going 5 days straight of video games then 48 hours straight of paintball on the weekend.

    From what I understand, E7's are mostly just like, oh lets go fishing for an hour. ok that's boring, now lets go rock climbing for an hour. ok that's boring, now lets go wine tasting for an hour... etc.

    When I travel to new places, I have no qualms with a day set up with a wide breadth of experiences, because I want to experience as much of the culture as possible. But as far as that being a lifestyle... HELL NO! Freaking ADHD.
    Yeah I'm not sure. My father can play guitar all day long, but I get what you're saying. Last year I was writing a fantasy-sci fi novel and I literally worked on it for 15 hours a day, for eight months, until the novel disappeared from my computer and then I joined PerC because I was so broken up and wanted to figure myself out. But I also put 15 hours a day into my previous project.. with my band.. for about 5 years. So I'd say I'm extremely focused. When I'm on a project it's all I think about. My father says by contrast that he has ideas for books, but he doesn't have the patience to sit and write it. He also has the idea to play music, but he doesn't have the patience to organize. But when he is doing something, for a relatively short period of time, he is pretty intensely focused.

    Sit down and watch the god damn movie, stfu and eat your popcorn and cuddle me in silence.
    Lol. Have you ever dated a 7? I knew one who was pretty bouncy. His mind was always 'on.'
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

  9. #39
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    You guys need to brush up on your reading.

    Naranjo, who is one of the most respected sources for enneagram, if not THE source, has a chapter about each enneagram type. These are what they are:

    Type 8: The Sadistic Personality & Lust & Anti-social personality
    It just so happens the 8s get the most 'unhealthy' types according to him.

    I am very much so against his writings in regards to the type 8.. Not only does he make them sound way too good to be true when they are 'healthy' (and what would be described to me as being very unhealthy in that regard) but that they are the worst of the worst when they are unhealthy.. this huge pendulum swinging left and right in extremes with no sense of middle ground. In comparison to the other types, he definitely places a very huge emphasis on this type for some reason. Either I have a super hero complex at my best, or I am a sadistic psychopath at my worst.. so all I am trying to do with my life is struggle as hard as I can to become average? It doesn't make any sense. I think he means well, but he words things very poorly and people put way too much stock into his teachings.

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Especially from @kyuuei, but I know there were others who criticized it.


    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    This doesn't mean I walk around with a hightened emotional threshold and shark eyes bullying people all the time. It just means if things devolve, I'll get that way.
    Precisely. Even if that guy WAS on the mark with his writings, 8s are not sadistic.. they are prone to sadistic tendencies.

    I cannot try to justify his writings without face palming.. but if I were to try to give a level of sadism that does manifest in my life without making me a sadistic person:
    - I like seeing justice served. I do not feel bad, or pity, those who are in the position they are because they made poor decisions and are paying for them. (On the opposite side.. I like to see people fall, pay for their crimes, accept those terms, and rise up from the ashes.)
    - When I went to war.. I did not feel sympathy for my enemy, nor the people who supported them.
    - When I heard my ex-boyfriend was diagnosed with HPV after he degraded into a hussy because of our break up, I got a hint of satisfaction in that. If he had been more careful and not used drugs like I advised him, it wouldn't have happened that way.
    - When I have to smoke soldiers because they're acting like asses, I get great satisfaction in it. 'Let the encouragement sink in!'
    - I like seeing people get what they 'deserve'.. Though this isn't even as prominent as it was when I was a child. The whole concept of getting even is starting to be an exhausting one. Working around it all seems to serve me better lately.

    In the example used, I would be disgusted with the patrons before me that failed to report the facilities dismal condition sooner, and I would promptly try to 'right' it myself so that I could have a facility to use. If the owner fails to immediately rectify the problem, then I would probably reward him with a crappy review online, and never going to the establishment again.

    My focus is on control. I don't feel in control by 'punishing' the owner and making the mess even bigger for clean-up. I don't feel like I fixed the situation by keeping the facilities dirty for others with the owners potentially blissfully unaware of the conditions. I have an almost exhausting need to fix things that come my way, so that I have a degree of control on those situations as they arise in my life.
    I would get a great amount of satisfaction at either leaving a crappy review, or knowing that it was my word that caused the immediate clean up so that I may use the facilities in peace.

    I think the thread isn't worth deleting, it has value in it.. I think the example used was just a poor one.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  10. #40
    Blood of the Exile Animal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    It just so happens the 8s get the most 'unhealthy' types according to him.
    Yeah but that's the point of the book, and is the case for any type. If you want to read about how awesome you are, enneagram and Naranjo is a bit extraneous. The idea is to recognize the *underlying tendencies* in ourselves. Like I said, I don't go around acting like a destructive asshole. Aside from a short period when I was very traumatized, I have never had any trouble with the law, holding jobs, having relationships, being close to my family etc. But I will not sit and claim that the sadistic tendency is eradicated just because I haven't done any majorly sadistic thing in years. Self-awareness is not something to be lazy about once it's "accomplished." It's a life-long pursuit.


    I am very much so against his writings in regards to the type 8.. Not only does he make them sound way too good to be true when they are 'healthy' (and what would be described to me as being very unhealthy in that regard) but that they are the worst of the worst when they are unhealthy.. this huge pendulum swinging left and right in extremes with no sense of middle ground. In comparison to the other types, he definitely places a very huge emphasis on this type for some reason. Either I have a super hero complex at my best, or I am a sadistic psychopath at my worst.. so all I am trying to do with my life is struggle as hard as I can to become average? It doesn't make any sense. I think he means well, but he words things very poorly and people put way too much stock into his teachings.
    He did not claim a super-hero "complex" at your best. That sort of complex is what he'd describe for type 7 Narcissist.

    Precisely. Even if that guy WAS on the mark with his writings, 8s are not sadistic.. they are prone to sadistic tendencies.

    I cannot try to justify his writings without face palming.. but if I were to try to give a level of sadism that does manifest in my life without making me a sadistic person:
    - I like seeing justice served. I do not feel bad, or pity, those who are in the position they are because they made poor decisions and are paying for them. (On the opposite side.. I like to see people fall, pay for their crimes, accept those terms, and rise up from the ashes.)
    - When I went to war.. I did not feel sympathy for my enemy, nor the people who supported them.
    - When I heard my ex-boyfriend was diagnosed with HPV after he degraded into a hussy because of our break up, I got a hint of satisfaction in that. If he had been more careful and not used drugs like I advised him, it wouldn't have happened that way.
    - When I have to smoke soldiers because they're acting like asses, I get great satisfaction in it. 'Let the encouragement sink in!'
    - I like seeing people get what they 'deserve'.. Though this isn't even as prominent as it was when I was a child. The whole concept of getting even is starting to be an exhausting one. Working around it all seems to serve me better lately.
    Even the stuff you listed here is like "me at my worst," aside from the traumatic period I mentioned when my worst behaviors came out. Basically, what I was trying to say in my example is exactly this:
    - I like seeing justice served. I do not feel bad, or pity, those who are in the position they are because they made poor decisions and are paying for them. (On the opposite side.. I like to see people fall, pay for their crimes, accept those terms, and rise up from the ashes.)
    Now of course I'm not saying that leaving the bathroom gross is equivalent to a crime like raping a child. That's why it was a stupid over-stated example and I wanted to take the thread down. But all that I'm saying is, if your basic core is 8, then you have that sadistic tendency. Again, and I can't repeat this enough, it's a tendency and a thought pattern at best, at this point in my life, like you are explaining here. I'd still say I'm a sadistic personality though, in the context of enneagram, because at my worst I boil down to those tendencies. Therefore it's always IN me, but I mature and move past certain aspects, and keep others in check, and so forth.

    In the example used, I would be disgusted with the patrons before me that failed to report the facilities dismal condition sooner, and I would promptly try to 'right' it myself so that I could have a facility to use. If the owner fails to immediately rectify the problem, then I would probably reward him with a crappy review online, and never going to the establishment again.
    Yeah I would probably not try to "right" it - that's the difference. I also have two withdrawn types in my tritype and a chronic illness which left me speaking in a whisper, and an SO blindspot so dealing with other people is not my favorite thing. Therefore I'm more selfish in this regard. That's another reason it was a shitty example.

    My focus is on control. I don't feel in control by 'punishing' the owner and making the mess even bigger for clean-up. I don't feel like I fixed the situation by keeping the facilities dirty for others with the owners potentially blissfully unaware of the conditions. I have an almost exhausting need to fix things that come my way, so that I have a degree of control on those situations as they arise in my life.
    I would get a great amount of satisfaction at either leaving a crappy review, or knowing that it was my word that caused the immediate clean up so that I may use the facilities in peace.
    See this is the difference - I don't even need that *satisfaction* of righting the situation in any way or writing a review. However I can't emphasize enough - I was not PUNISHING the owner by making a bigger clean-up. This is why I took the example down- everyone seemed to interpret it that way, so it was probably my fault. But all that I meant was, if there was no other bathroom to use, I would still do my thing. I would not TRY to mess it up further for revenge, but I would do what I need to do, and I wouldn't feel bad if I did mess it up, either. However in a clean facility, I leave it clean, just like I found it. There's no satisfaction in revenge or "righting the situation" for me. My reaction was entirely, utterly self-serving and selfish. I did my thing, if I messed it up more, well that's your problem because I never woulda been forced to do that if it were clean in the first place. It's so dirty that I can't clean it without dirtying *myself* so... at that point, I don't feel guilty if I did what *I* needed to do and *you* didn't do your job. That has nothing to do with righting, fixing, avenging, or making a point. It just has to do with taking what I need and not feeling guilty because they basically asked for it by presenting those conditions.

    Sigh.. why is it so hard for people to understand pure and utter selfishness with no ulterior motive, no point to prove, no justice, no "righting," and nothing but a will to get exactly what you want ? Is this really that hard to swallow?? =p

    I think the thread isn't worth deleting, it has value in it.. I think the example used was just a poor one.
    That it was and I am sorry for the confusion. A couple of good posts have gathered here so maybe they won't delete it. But, I'm thinking of starting another thread on sadism, anyhow. That's basically what this thread turned into. =p



    Anyway- @kyuuei - all that being said, your concerns about Naranjo paralleled my own when I read it. I think the key difference in 'syntax' is that I'm accepting that this tendency is an underlying, constant presence in a person. It's not that I didn't notice a lot of the same things as you, when I read it, and say "Wtf." I just accepted the premise that we all have such potentials deep down and overcome it or indulge it to varying degrees.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Commonalities/differences between ENFP and ENFJ
    By proteanmix in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-23-2015, 02:35 PM
  2. The difference between Freedom and Tolerance?
    By Kiddo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 06:18 PM
  3. What's the difference between meritocracy and technocracy?
    By Ezra in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 07:21 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 08:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO