• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Differences between E1 and E8

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
How would you define sadism?

Also, no one accused you of typing yourself because 8's are badass leaders.

Lol yeah I know nobody accused me. I was being sarcastic about the use of enneagram. I could have used anyone as an example but I chose myself so as not to offend. =p

Sadism. Well, this is a whole other topic. I think I will start a thread about it, because I could go on about this for a while and I'd actually be very interested to hear your thoughts as well as other 8s.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am sorry it was so offensive to some of you, but it made sense in my head at the time.
Don't worry, we love heated discussions here in typoc. If anything, you deserve a 'thank you'. :)

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=17911]Maybe[/MENTION]

woah there, relax gurl.

I read naranjo. It describes the NEUROSES of the types, not how the type is on a daily basis. So when an unhealthy person gets unhealthily unhealthy and unhealthful, they become sadistic and sociopathic.

This doesn't mean I walk around with a hightened emotional threshold and shark eyes bullying people all the time. It just means if things devolve, I'll get that way.

I also wish to respond to this because I think this shows an underlying misunderstanding of the system. It's actually meant to describe your day-to-day life and how you manage life in general. It's about unconscious drives that push you into thinking or behaving a certain way. If my avarice didn't occur on a daily basis I wouldn't be a 5. It must be a constant factor and a part of your person for it to be your core type in my opinion.

Also, it's not about exaggerations or extreme levels of unhealth but simply coping mechanisms. 4s are masochists because they ultimately revel in their own suffering. This doesn't mean that all 4s are emo and depressed. Rather, it's about an internal drive that deep down exists in all 4s where they see themselves as suffering because of envy as a constant factor in their life.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Well, I hated Naranjo before, and here are some more reasons to hate him. :laugh:

Also, I've heard a LOT of criticism of his treatment of Type 8 before, on the forum. Especially from [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION], but I know there were others who criticized it.

Edit: I remain skeptical, but I'll wait on more 8 input. No reason for me to disagree if most 8s see themselves as internally sadistic.

They can criticize it all they want but it's still basic enneagram theory.

There's no LUST without SADISM. Lust is about taking back what the world took from you. It's about triumph over adversity. It's not about sex and passion alone - that's gluttony.

If you take back from the world what it took from you, you're a sadist. If you want to triumph over adversity, as a basic nature, you're a sadist. You're willing to 'take for yourself' at any cost; at worst. That's connected to lust & innocence. The reason innocence is a virtue of type 8 is because it gets you out of your sadism; brings you back to a state of having no motives and being away from your perception of the world as a dog eat dog place where the fittest survive.

So you can't just weed out "sadism" and say you don't like Naranjo's treatment. I don't relate to everything in Naranjo. There's a portion about conning, and I've never conned anyone; I've always been balls out and straght forward, for all the other shit that I've done. There are parts of his treatment that I don't like, too. However, weeding out SADISM is impossible unless you also remove the vice of lust & the passion of vengeance & the virtue of innocence which are what make up type 8 in any text you choose. If you have Lust as a vice you also have sadism; it's abecedarian, if you know the first thing about psychology.

I don't like Naranjo's treatment of 8 either, of course. All of the other books tickle my pickle and that one cuts me down to size. I don't like to see that shit in myself and it hurts my stomach and makes me say "NO! I'm not like that!" I've never thought of myself as rebellious, for instance. I'm not rebellious or compliant; I just do my own thing. But when you look deeper into what Naranjo writes about a type 8's rebellion, it's basically exactly what I described; a rebellion against any imposed order, in order to retain autonomy and do exactly as they please, answering to no one. I could go on about this all day. The treatment Naranjo gives to 8s is crude, ugly, and intense. But it's still the basic concept: sadism.

Flatlander

Fair and Square
MBTI Type
iNtj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I hated Naranjo before, and here are some more reasons to hate him. :laugh:

Also, I've heard a LOT of criticism of his treatment of Type 8 before, on the forum. Especially from [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION], but I know there were others who criticized it.

Edit: I remain skeptical, but I'll wait on more 8 input. No reason for me to disagree if most 8s see themselves as internally sadistic.

Curious: Why did/do you hate him?

And how do you know that the 8s you're getting input from are necessarily accurately typed? What source/reasoning do you use?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I also wish to respond to this because I think this shows an underlying misunderstanding of the system. It's actually meant to describe your day-to-day life and how you manage life in general. It's about unconscious drives that push you into thinking or behaving a certain way. If my avarice didn't occur on a daily basis I wouldn't be a 5. It must be a constant factor and a part of your person for it to be your core type in my opinion.

Also, it's not about exaggerations or extreme levels of unhealth but simply coping mechanisms. 4s are masochists because they ultimately revel in their own suffering. This doesn't mean that all 4s are emo and depressed. Rather, it's about an internal drive that deep down exists in all 4s where they see themselves as suffering because of envy as a constant factor in their life.

Wait so my understanding is off? or are you just being hypothetical?

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Don't worry, we love heated discussions here in typoc. If anything, you deserve a 'thank you'. :)

Nice. =)

I love heated discussions too, and I don't normally worry about offending others. As you can probably glean from the nature of the post. But, it was a rather... visceral topic and I felt like if I kept going I'd be explaining myself for all eternity so... it was silly. =p Thanks for being cool though.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't understand what the definitions used to explain the behavior has anything to do whether it's PC or not? I also think the part in bold is a projection on your part. Reciprocity or acts of reciprocity were never mentioned and is not the topic of this thread so I fail to see the relevance.

Read Naranjo then. It's related because sadistic behavior is about covering senses of shame and so on.

She never mentioned fear or authority so I am not sure why you're bringing this up. You're not answering her questions; you're operating based on assumptions.
I think you confuse 8s with 6s.
First you need to realize that Naranjo is not God. After that, we may be able to have a talk about 'operating based on assumptions'.

I'm not gonna provide more material for you to nitpick over.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
They can criticize it all they want but it's still basic enneagram theory.

There's no LUST without SADISM. Lust is about taking back what the world took from you. It's about triumph over adversity. It's not about sex and passion alone - that's gluttony.

If you take back from the world what it took from you, you're a sadist. If you want to triumph over adversity, as a basic nature, you're a sadist. You're willing to 'take for yourself' at any cost; at worst. That's connected to lust & innocence. The reason innocence is a virtue of type 8 is because it gets you out of your sadism; brings you back to a state of having no motives and being away from your perception of the world as a dog eat dog place where the fittest survive.

So you can't just weed out "sadism" and say you don't like Naranjo's treatment. I don't relate to everything in Naranjo. There's a portion about conning, and I've never conned anyone; I've always been balls out and straght forward, for all the other shit that I've done. There are parts of his treatment that I don't like, too. However, weeding out SADISM is impossible unless you also remove the vice of lust & the passion of vengeance & the virtue of innocence which are what make up type 8 in any text you choose. If you have Lust as a vice you also have sadism; it's abecedarian, if you know the first thing about psychology.

I don't like Naranjo's treatment of 8 either, of course. All of the other books tickle my pickle and that one cuts me down to size. I don't like to see that shit in myself and it hurts my stomach and makes me say "NO! I'm not like that!" I've never thought of myself as rebellious, for instance. I'm not rebellious or compliant; I just do my own thing. But when you look deeper into what Naranjo writes about a type 8's rebellion, it's basically exactly what I described; a rebellion against any imposed order, in order to retain autonomy and do exactly as they please, answering to no one. I could go on about this all day. The treatment Naranjo gives to 8s is crude, ugly, and intense. But it's still the basic concept: sadism.

so... when I'm angry, and in my fit of rage I go buy 6 pounds of mac'and'cheese and blast velvet acid christ... I'm taking back what the world took from me?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First you need to realize that Naranjo is not God. After that, we may be able to have a talk about 'operating based on assumptions'.

I never claimed Naranjo is god. Maybe did however work with the definition of 8 provided by him so if you don't agree with that it makes more sense if you'd just say you don't agree with Naranjo then to me.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
so... when I'm angry, and in my fit of rage I go buy 6 pounds of mac'and'cheese and blast velvet acid christ... I'm taking back what the world took from me?

Sounds like gluttony. Lust is about triumph over adversity. The "kill" is not enough without the chase, so to speak.

What would you say is the difference between lust and gluttony?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Sounds like gluttony. Lust is about triumph over adversity. The "kill" is not enough without the chase, so to speak.

What would you say is the difference between lust and gluttony?

my definition of lust and gluttony are more or less the same thing. When I want something, I want more of it until it becomes boring and I don't want it anymore (for the time being). Isn't gluttony an E7 word? Because if this conversation is going into the direction of "You must only use words verbatim to the theoretical texts" then I'm out of here. Syntax arguments are a waste of my time.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
my definition of lust and gluttony are more or less the same thing. When I want something, I want more of it until it becomes boring and I don't want it anymore (for the time being). Isn't gluttony an E7 word? Because if this conversation is going into the direction of "You must only use words verbatim to the theoretical texts" then I'm out of here. Syntax arguments are a waste of my time.

Lol, I can't stand arguments like that either. I didn't type at Ne-F for nothing. I can't stand nitpicky details myself, but I'm very interested in concepts.

I'm actually asking because it's an interesting topic. And I am curious your take on it. It's written about in a lot of books, too, the lust/gluttony line. I'm not here to tell someone the word they used is in the wrong spot or they're mistyped or nitpick anything. But those two concepts are closely related at least at surface, and one is E8 and the other is E7, and it is a topic that is worth discussion, methinks.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Lol, I can't stand arguments like that either. I didn't type at Ne-F for nothing. I can't stand nitpicky details myself, but I'm very interested in concepts.

I'm actually asking because it's an interesting topic. And I am curious your take on it. It's written about in a lot of books, too, the lust/gluttony line. I'm not here to tell someone the word they used is in the wrong spot or they're mistyped or nitpick anything. But those two concepts are closely related at least at surface, and one is E8 and the other is E7, and it is a topic that is worth discussion, methinks.

Well, from what I understand, E7's are about gathering a WIDE BREADTH of experiences and constantly being active, while E8's are about gathering INTENSE experiences.

Looking back at my life, its mostly a collection of intense experiences interspersed with long periods of nothing notable. My 3 week expedition, building my trailer from scratch and moving to colorado with no plan, going 5 days straight of video games then 48 hours straight of paintball on the weekend.

From what I understand, E7's are mostly just like, oh lets go fishing for an hour. ok that's boring, now lets go rock climbing for an hour. ok that's boring, now lets go wine tasting for an hour... etc.

When I travel to new places, I have no qualms with a day set up with a wide breadth of experiences, because I want to experience as much of the culture as possible. But as far as that being a lifestyle... HELL NO! Freaking ADHD. Sit down and watch the god damn movie, stfu and eat your popcorn and cuddle me in silence.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Well, from what I understand, E7's are about gathering a WIDE BREADTH of experiences and constantly being active, while E8's are about gathering INTENSE experiences.
Yeah that makes sense. Because 7's have a passion for "planning." So once they're doing one thing, they are apt to think about the next thing. Still though , my father is a 7w8 and he likes intense, too; he wants his music loud and his relationships deep and so forth. He also can be very 'present in the moment' as long as his mind is engaged and his narcissism is satiated - in other words, if you give him an audience who loves him (which could be anything from an actual audience when he's on stage to a couple of friends who think he's the best thing ever) he's happy as a pig in shit, for many hours.

Looking back at my life, its mostly a collection of intense experiences interspersed with long periods of nothing notable. My 3 week expedition, building my trailer from scratch and moving to colorado with no plan, going 5 days straight of video games then 48 hours straight of paintball on the weekend.

From what I understand, E7's are mostly just like, oh lets go fishing for an hour. ok that's boring, now lets go rock climbing for an hour. ok that's boring, now lets go wine tasting for an hour... etc.

When I travel to new places, I have no qualms with a day set up with a wide breadth of experiences, because I want to experience as much of the culture as possible. But as far as that being a lifestyle... HELL NO! Freaking ADHD.
Yeah I'm not sure. My father can play guitar all day long, but I get what you're saying. Last year I was writing a fantasy-sci fi novel and I literally worked on it for 15 hours a day, for eight months, until the novel disappeared from my computer and then I joined PerC because I was so broken up and wanted to figure myself out. But I also put 15 hours a day into my previous project.. with my band.. for about 5 years. So I'd say I'm extremely focused. When I'm on a project it's all I think about. My father says by contrast that he has ideas for books, but he doesn't have the patience to sit and write it. He also has the idea to play music, but he doesn't have the patience to organize. But when he is doing something, for a relatively short period of time, he is pretty intensely focused.

Sit down and watch the god damn movie, stfu and eat your popcorn and cuddle me in silence.
Lol. Have you ever dated a 7? I knew one who was pretty bouncy. His mind was always 'on.'

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
You guys need to brush up on your reading.

Naranjo, who is one of the most respected sources for enneagram, if not THE source, has a chapter about each enneagram type. These are what they are:

Type 8: The Sadistic Personality & Lust & Anti-social personality

It just so happens the 8s get the most 'unhealthy' types according to him.

I am very much so against his writings in regards to the type 8.. Not only does he make them sound way too good to be true when they are 'healthy' (and what would be described to me as being very unhealthy in that regard) but that they are the worst of the worst when they are unhealthy.. this huge pendulum swinging left and right in extremes with no sense of middle ground. In comparison to the other types, he definitely places a very huge emphasis on this type for some reason. Either I have a super hero complex at my best, or I am a sadistic psychopath at my worst.. so all I am trying to do with my life is struggle as hard as I can to become average? It doesn't make any sense. I think he means well, but he words things very poorly and people put way too much stock into his teachings.

Especially from [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION], but I know there were others who criticized it.

:yes:

This doesn't mean I walk around with a hightened emotional threshold and shark eyes bullying people all the time. It just means if things devolve, I'll get that way.

Precisely. Even if that guy WAS on the mark with his writings, 8s are not sadistic.. they are prone to sadistic tendencies.

I cannot try to justify his writings without face palming.. but if I were to try to give a level of sadism that does manifest in my life without making me a sadistic person:
- I like seeing justice served. I do not feel bad, or pity, those who are in the position they are because they made poor decisions and are paying for them. (On the opposite side.. I like to see people fall, pay for their crimes, accept those terms, and rise up from the ashes.)
- When I went to war.. I did not feel sympathy for my enemy, nor the people who supported them.
- When I heard my ex-boyfriend was diagnosed with HPV after he degraded into a hussy because of our break up, I got a hint of satisfaction in that. If he had been more careful and not used drugs like I advised him, it wouldn't have happened that way.
- When I have to smoke soldiers because they're acting like asses, I get great satisfaction in it. 'Let the encouragement sink in!'
- I like seeing people get what they 'deserve'.. Though this isn't even as prominent as it was when I was a child. The whole concept of getting even is starting to be an exhausting one. Working around it all seems to serve me better lately.

In the example used, I would be disgusted with the patrons before me that failed to report the facilities dismal condition sooner, and I would promptly try to 'right' it myself so that I could have a facility to use. If the owner fails to immediately rectify the problem, then I would probably reward him with a crappy review online, and never going to the establishment again.

My focus is on control. I don't feel in control by 'punishing' the owner and making the mess even bigger for clean-up. I don't feel like I fixed the situation by keeping the facilities dirty for others with the owners potentially blissfully unaware of the conditions. I have an almost exhausting need to fix things that come my way, so that I have a degree of control on those situations as they arise in my life.
I would get a great amount of satisfaction at either leaving a crappy review, or knowing that it was my word that caused the immediate clean up so that I may use the facilities in peace.

I think the thread isn't worth deleting, it has value in it.. I think the example used was just a poor one.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
It just so happens the 8s get the most 'unhealthy' types according to him.
Yeah but that's the point of the book, and is the case for any type. If you want to read about how awesome you are, enneagram and Naranjo is a bit extraneous. The idea is to recognize the *underlying tendencies* in ourselves. Like I said, I don't go around acting like a destructive asshole. Aside from a short period when I was very traumatized, I have never had any trouble with the law, holding jobs, having relationships, being close to my family etc. But I will not sit and claim that the sadistic tendency is eradicated just because I haven't done any majorly sadistic thing in years. Self-awareness is not something to be lazy about once it's "accomplished." It's a life-long pursuit.

I am very much so against his writings in regards to the type 8.. Not only does he make them sound way too good to be true when they are 'healthy' (and what would be described to me as being very unhealthy in that regard) but that they are the worst of the worst when they are unhealthy.. this huge pendulum swinging left and right in extremes with no sense of middle ground. In comparison to the other types, he definitely places a very huge emphasis on this type for some reason. Either I have a super hero complex at my best, or I am a sadistic psychopath at my worst.. so all I am trying to do with my life is struggle as hard as I can to become average? It doesn't make any sense. I think he means well, but he words things very poorly and people put way too much stock into his teachings.
He did not claim a super-hero "complex" at your best. That sort of complex is what he'd describe for type 7 Narcissist.

Precisely. Even if that guy WAS on the mark with his writings, 8s are not sadistic.. they are prone to sadistic tendencies.

I cannot try to justify his writings without face palming.. but if I were to try to give a level of sadism that does manifest in my life without making me a sadistic person:
- I like seeing justice served. I do not feel bad, or pity, those who are in the position they are because they made poor decisions and are paying for them. (On the opposite side.. I like to see people fall, pay for their crimes, accept those terms, and rise up from the ashes.)
- When I went to war.. I did not feel sympathy for my enemy, nor the people who supported them.
- When I heard my ex-boyfriend was diagnosed with HPV after he degraded into a hussy because of our break up, I got a hint of satisfaction in that. If he had been more careful and not used drugs like I advised him, it wouldn't have happened that way.
- When I have to smoke soldiers because they're acting like asses, I get great satisfaction in it. 'Let the encouragement sink in!'
- I like seeing people get what they 'deserve'.. Though this isn't even as prominent as it was when I was a child. The whole concept of getting even is starting to be an exhausting one. Working around it all seems to serve me better lately.
Even the stuff you listed here is like "me at my worst," aside from the traumatic period I mentioned when my worst behaviors came out. Basically, what I was trying to say in my example is exactly this:
Now of course I'm not saying that leaving the bathroom gross is equivalent to a crime like raping a child. That's why it was a stupid over-stated example and I wanted to take the thread down. But all that I'm saying is, if your basic core is 8, then you have that sadistic tendency. Again, and I can't repeat this enough, it's a tendency and a thought pattern at best, at this point in my life, like you are explaining here. I'd still say I'm a sadistic personality though, in the context of enneagram, because at my worst I boil down to those tendencies. Therefore it's always IN me, but I mature and move past certain aspects, and keep others in check, and so forth.

In the example used, I would be disgusted with the patrons before me that failed to report the facilities dismal condition sooner, and I would promptly try to 'right' it myself so that I could have a facility to use. If the owner fails to immediately rectify the problem, then I would probably reward him with a crappy review online, and never going to the establishment again.
Yeah I would probably not try to "right" it - that's the difference. I also have two withdrawn types in my tritype and a chronic illness which left me speaking in a whisper, and an SO blindspot so dealing with other people is not my favorite thing. Therefore I'm more selfish in this regard. That's another reason it was a shitty example.

My focus is on control. I don't feel in control by 'punishing' the owner and making the mess even bigger for clean-up. I don't feel like I fixed the situation by keeping the facilities dirty for others with the owners potentially blissfully unaware of the conditions. I have an almost exhausting need to fix things that come my way, so that I have a degree of control on those situations as they arise in my life.
I would get a great amount of satisfaction at either leaving a crappy review, or knowing that it was my word that caused the immediate clean up so that I may use the facilities in peace.
See this is the difference - I don't even need that *satisfaction* of righting the situation in any way or writing a review. However I can't emphasize enough - I was not PUNISHING the owner by making a bigger clean-up. This is why I took the example down- everyone seemed to interpret it that way, so it was probably my fault. But all that I meant was, if there was no other bathroom to use, I would still do my thing. I would not TRY to mess it up further for revenge, but I would do what I need to do, and I wouldn't feel bad if I did mess it up, either. However in a clean facility, I leave it clean, just like I found it. There's no satisfaction in revenge or "righting the situation" for me. My reaction was entirely, utterly self-serving and selfish. I did my thing, if I messed it up more, well that's your problem because I never woulda been forced to do that if it were clean in the first place. It's so dirty that I can't clean it without dirtying *myself* so... at that point, I don't feel guilty if I did what *I* needed to do and *you* didn't do your job. That has nothing to do with righting, fixing, avenging, or making a point. It just has to do with taking what I need and not feeling guilty because they basically asked for it by presenting those conditions.

Sigh.. why is it so hard for people to understand pure and utter selfishness with no ulterior motive, no point to prove, no justice, no "righting," and nothing but a will to get exactly what you want ? Is this really that hard to swallow?? =p

I think the thread isn't worth deleting, it has value in it.. I think the example used was just a poor one.
That it was and I am sorry for the confusion. A couple of good posts have gathered here so maybe they won't delete it. But, I'm thinking of starting another thread on sadism, anyhow. That's basically what this thread turned into. =p

Anyway- [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] - all that being said, your concerns about Naranjo paralleled my own when I read it. I think the key difference in 'syntax' is that I'm accepting that this tendency is an underlying, constant presence in a person. It's not that I didn't notice a lot of the same things as you, when I read it, and say "Wtf." I just accepted the premise that we all have such potentials deep down and overcome it or indulge it to varying degrees.