• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 1] How would you react to being called "vengeful" by someone close to you?

Vergil

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello, my fellow E1s.

The title is self explanatory. Regardless, I will be providing a background.

The larger, more encompassing question is:

How would you deal with being accused of a thing you consider unbecoming of you?

EDIT: Not much of a background. I think I have a thing for being terse. =/

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I'm not a 1, but I'll answer anyway. =)

How would you react to being called "vengeful" by someone close to you?
This happened to me recently. I was angry at someone, and was complaining to someone else, saying I thought that he had wronged me and betrayed me, and I would only forgive if he would grovel. Someone else pointed out to me that this was vengeful sadistic thinking; to expect someone to grovel when they're clearly going through a hard time and this is why they did things that felt like "betrayal" to me in the first place. She said I was only thinking about myself and not about the other person; failing to see it from his side. It was said to me as part of a long speech and in the manner of "dude, wake the fuck up, look at yourself." I actually started crying because I knew she was right. I'd been angrier and angrier, and I was so angry I was almost losing touch with reality, or perhaps seeing things in black and white rather than looking at the whole picture and the other person's point of view. When this was pointed out to me, plainly and clearly, my anger kind of "broke" into tears. I approached the other person in a much nicer way than I might have otherwise. And I thanked the person for pointing this out to me so boldly, and apologized if I'd made her uncomfortable. It was a heartfelt apology. I thought about myself for days, and it helped me to recognize some of the pitfalls of my own thinking and to see through myself. So, I will say that because it was the truth, I did not react badly, even in a moment of anger. The plain, straight declaration of the truth of my behavior was clear for me to see even when I was so far gone in anger.

I've had a hard time seeing sadism and vengeance in myself until recently. (And this makes sense because part of Type 8 is denial. What an 8 sees as practical and survivalist, can actually manifest in vengeful or sadistic thinking.) To me, I'm just doing what's practical and taking care of myself and refusing to let anyone take advantage of me or threaten me. I don't put up with abuse. I could not see my behavior as sadistic or vengeful without serious self-examination. So, in the past, had anyone called me vengeful, I probably would have shrugged it off and told them "Hmm? Me? Nope." And thought nothing of it. But now that I've seen it in myself I'd really rather not hear about it from people who don't actually experience my vengeance and anger, if that makes sense. If I open up to someone about my thoughts about myself or my enneatype, I'm trusting them with some of my deeper self-realizations, and I would feel disrespected if someone used this information and trust against me, or used it to make themselves seem better than me. But if it's just a discussion, I'm fine. It really depends on how I perceive the other person's motives.

How would you deal with being accused of a thing you consider unbecoming of you?
No matter what the thing is, I would probably handle it similarly to what I described above, but let me be specific:

- If I think you're correct about me but my behavior is unbecoming, I'd still thank you for pointing it out, and have the utmost respect for you for seeing through me, calling me on my bullshit, and having the balls to tell me. It's easy to stand up to your enemies or people you don't know, but telling a friend is harder; so I'd see that this person really cared about me, was brave, and had the balls to see through me and approach me. So, I might feel shitty inside, but I'd have nothing but warm feelings for the person who took the time to help me see through myself.

- If your presumption about my unbecoming behavior is based on something that I don't think is substantial, I'll probably explain my point of view if you're a friend, but if you won't listen and you continue holding on to the accusation, I might be distant for a while, because I don't like being misunderstood, misread, and told that I'm different than I am. In fact, it also turns me off if a person tells me I'm generous and amazing when I know I'm being a jerk. I want to keep it real, so to speak. The "becoming" or "unbecoming" part is almost irrelevant, except that when someone points out what's unbecoming about me, I recognize that this takes courage if they're trying to help me, but if they're doing it to one-up me or to make me feel bad, they're not worth my time. Their motives and tone are crucial. If someone says something bad about me and it's off-base, but I can see that they respect me and want to help me, I can chalk it up to a difference of opinion and forget about it quickly. If they approach me in a critical, judgemental way, and act like they're better than me, and look down on me or pity me or act like I ought to feel shame, it's simply not going to happen. I don't have any (conscious recognition of) shame, so trying to shame me will most likely lead to the other person feeling ashamed or moronic rather than me, because I simply will not be falling for it.

- If someone points out unbecoming behavior and I recognize it in myself, I will probably think about it a lot and try to understand why I do this and whether I should fight the compulsions and attempt to weed out the behavior. Contrarily if it's behavior I don't recognize in myself, the whole thing would just roll off at best, or at worst, I'll show you the error in your judgement.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hello, my fellow E1s.

The title is self explanatory.
I'm not sure about the question in the title. I think I'd be upset, because I'm not vengeful, and I don't like being misunderstood.

Depends on whether I think they're justified. I'd be upset either way, but I'd be mortified if they were right, i.e. if I really WAS acting in that unbecoming way. If they were wrong, then, like I said above, I'd be upset that they misunderstood me, and I'd immediately move to defend myself -- because I want people to view me as I am.

Edit: I just saw the "someone close to you" qualifier -- and that alters my answer to how I'd react if they were wrong. I wouldn't just be kind of upset, but would instead be extremely upset, because there'd be the added factor of "How can they see me in this incorrect way, after all these years?? I thought we KNEW each other!"

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Anytime someone close to me accuses me of something I'm not, I almost immediately drop them out of my life unconsciously.

Vergil

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure about the question in the title. I think I'd be upset, because I'm not vengeful, and I don't like being misunderstood.

Depends on whether I think they're justified. I'd be upset either way, but I'd be mortified if they were right, i.e. if I really WAS acting in that unbecoming way. If they were wrong, then, like I said above, I'd be upset that they misunderstood me, and I'd immediately move to defend myself -- because I want people to view me as I am.

Edit: I just saw the "someone close to you" qualifier -- and that alters my answer to how I'd react if they were wrong. I wouldn't just be kind of upset, but would instead be extremely upset, because there'd be the added factor of "How can they see me in this incorrect way, after all these years?? I thought we KNEW each other!"

:cry:

Thank you...
I feel less awkward for having felt super upset now. xD

Will elaborate in a while.

Savitri

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Depends how close I am to the accuser. If this person is someone I consider has thorough knowledge of my personality, I'd probably develop an overwhelming feeling of guilt in failing to see it myself. I'd immediately take steps in reversing the damage done.

If the person does not meet my requirements as a valid critic, I'd probably laugh and say they're imagining things. Acting on veangence or anything beneath me is quite impossible for me to fathom. Fortunately veangence is not something I consider beneath me because it's natural to want justice where justice is due.

So the key here is to provide evidence that my veangence is unjustified.

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hello, my fellow E1s.

The title is self explanatory. Regardless, I will be providing a background.

EDIT: Not much of a background. I think I have a thing for being terse. =/

I would probably mark them off from being a friend I could count on. I don't know if I have some One in me or not. Either way, I don't believe that it's my first type. I know Ones often get accused of being hypocritical, because the motives behind good works can be sort of self-righteous moves, but my point is, if your anger or vengeance is coming from something you are truly hurt or violated over, then your friend needs to blow off the judgments and try to understand where you are coming from. If it isn't coming from a hurt spot and you are doing it as a way to boost your own image or entitlement to something, which can be a One's weakness, then I would say you need to rethink your argument and trust me, people appreciate when you humble yourself to admit your foul and maybe if necessary even apologize, although I don't believe in handing out apologies, only when someone else was actually offended. If it had no effect on them, then save it.

Let me add though, even if you were being unreasonable, a good friend can put up with some of it and every now and then maybe politely say something about it.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
If the person does not meet my requirements as a valid critic, I'd probably laugh and say they're imagining things. Acting on veangence or anything beneath me is quite impossible for me to fathom. Fortunately veangence is not something I consider beneath me because it's natural to want justice where justice is due.

So the key here is to provide evidence that my veangence is unjustified.

And this is why me and 1s get along. :D

Difference is, I don't even bother enacting revenge where it is "due" because I'm just too damn selfish. I'll do what it takes to get someone out of my way and make sure they know not to mess with me. If they're not in my way, I don't care if they "pay" for what they did, or whether they learn their lesson or not; it's their problem, not mine. 1s can be pretty awesome because they'll actually take the time to make someone pay because it's deserved; because what they did isn't right. This kind of behavior & stories tickles my pickle and appeals to my sense of justice, though. Me and my close friend growing up were a terror team, and she was a 1. We just fed off each other in this sense and had a lot of debates about right & wrong, justice, revenge, whether it's worth it or not, etc. We could laugh about this "evil" nonsense all day. ;)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Also not a 1, but had someone I've known well for 2 years accuse me of something unflattering very recently. I was very upset at first. Then I ran the accusation by my closest friend, who said that they received the exact same accusation out of the exact same person last year. That told me it had a lot more to do with the accuser's worldview than anything to do with me.

Some people feel like vengeance is fair and good; others think that it just obfuscates and adds to injustice and hurt. The accusation may well have more to do with the values of the accuser than of your personal character.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would just be like "um I know, and I'm working on it."

Ha ha ha at all the people who take offense to it.

I just find it funny that people would be offended that they were seen as vengeful.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would just be like "um I know, and I'm working on it."

Ha ha ha at all the people who take offense to it.

I just find it funny that people would be offended that they were seen as vengeful.
Well, you'd probably be offended by being accused of being something you're not, by someone you thought knew you really well, right? Because that may be the primary difference, here; no reason for you to be offended if they're right.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, you'd probably be offended by being accused of being something you're not, by someone you thought knew you really well, right? Because that may be the primary difference, here; no reason for you to be offended if they're right.

Is it because they are wrong or because vengeance is ethically valued as "bad" by 1s who strive for things like moral purity?

It's interesting because I tend to view Hilary Clinton as vengeful (in a mature, rational way) and most people type her as a 1w2 in enneagram.

I do agree that things can be offensive when untrue, but something I'm trying to learn myself is that the things people say are more about themselves than about me.

I'm trying to be more and more objective about people's perceptions, asking myself why they perceive things that way, and how much that has to do with me, and how much that has to do with them.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'd say "I'm not going to actually do it!"

Because I do have the impulse to be vengeful, but it's against my religion and also, I am chicken. I don't want to go to jail, or get sued, or have bad karma.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a vengeful impulse, it used to be out in the open when I was an adolescent, but I came to a sort of epiphany about the futility of revenge when I was 15 or 16 or so, which in general was I period of time when I rapidly mature and became of the person I am now.

As such, I would be quite taken aback. I've so rarely acted in a vengeful way, and so rarely talk about enacting revenge or even discussing similar ideas like brining someone to justice, that I'd wonder how they got such an impression. It would worry me because I'd wonder if I overestimated how much this person knew me, and if I can't anticipate how they'll see my actions. It certainly implies some sort of perceptual barrier, I think.

Still, I would almost certainly be sent into a period, if a brief one, of self-analysis to see if I'm more vengeful than I had thought.

And this is probably how I'd respond to any case of being called something I think I'm clearly not.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is it because they are wrong or because vengeance is ethically valued as "bad" by 1s who strive for things like moral purity?
In my case, a little of both, but more of the former, because I believe, due to watching/reading so many revenge stories throughout my life, that revenge doesn't do anyone any good. When I was little, I had more of a "vengeful impulse" (as MP phrased it), but after a while, my revenge fantasies started ending with me being remorseful and alone.

I honestly believe that I'm not vengeful, but that I'd rather Solve The Problem and make sure the problem never happens again. Though more details on the other side of things can be found in the post I just made in your recently created thread.
It's interesting because I tend to view Hilary Clinton as vengeful (in a mature, rational way) and most people type her as a 1w2 in enneagram.
What are some examples of the bolded? I can't remember an instance of Hillary Clinton being vengeful. (Which isn't to say it hasn't happened. I'm just curious.)

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I’ve been called vengeful by someone who obligated themselves to a required action to me when I applied the required force in an attempt to make them honor their word. And what they thought mattered little to me.

I’ve been called unforgiving by many who become upset that after I forgive them for a past action, I am not willing to allow them the same freedom to replicate that action to me in the present or future. Any concern about their feelings are transferred to their action that caused my effect.

Of course I’m a 9w1 not a 1w9.

Lark

I'd have not bother, people say all kinds of things and you've only got a limited control over that.

If someone's being an asshole and saying asshole things about you well there are a bunch of reasons why it sucks to be them.

Savitri

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And this is why me and 1s get along. :D

Difference is, I don't even bother enacting revenge where it is "due" because I'm just too damn selfish. I'll do what it takes to get someone out of my way and make sure they know not to mess with me. If they're not in my way, I don't care if they "pay" for what they did, or whether they learn their lesson or not; it's their problem, not mine. 1s can be pretty awesome because they'll actually take the time to make someone pay because it's deserved; because what they did isn't right. This kind of behavior & stories tickles my pickle and appeals to my sense of justice, though. Me and my close friend growing up were a terror team, and she was a 1. We just fed off each other in this sense and had a lot of debates about right & wrong, justice, revenge, whether it's worth it or not, etc. We could laugh about this "evil" nonsense all day. ;)

I've met an 8 and he makes me swoon~. lol I know completely different from your story but I do see the appeal.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7 with a 1 fix, so I'll answer :)

I would probably say "yeah, you're probably right". the 1-ish desire for divine retribution, the 7-ish desire to punish those who are obstacles to self gratification and the more generalized 8-ish tendency of "revenge against the world" are all present in my personality.

Meda

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would say that sometimes it is true, especially when it comes to my friends I have a much shorter fuse. If you treat my friends like crap, I can turn into a vengeful, but cold-hearted, mama bear. When it comes to me, I'll get that way if someone repeatedly ignores what I tell them.

I'm not completely certain about my standing as a 1 at the moment. Tests are giving me both 1 and 8 with a dash of 9 and 5. :dry: