User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I would just be like "um I know, and I'm working on it."

Ha ha ha at all the people who take offense to it.

I just find it funny that people would be offended that they were seen as vengeful.
    Well, you'd probably be offended by being accused of being something you're not, by someone you thought knew you really well, right? Because that may be the primary difference, here; no reason for you to be offended if they're right.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Well, you'd probably be offended by being accused of being something you're not, by someone you thought knew you really well, right? Because that may be the primary difference, here; no reason for you to be offended if they're right.
    Is it because they are wrong or because vengeance is ethically valued as "bad" by 1s who strive for things like moral purity?

It's interesting because I tend to view Hilary Clinton as vengeful (in a mature, rational way) and most people type her as a 1w2 in enneagram.

I do agree that things can be offensive when untrue, but something I'm trying to learn myself is that the things people say are more about themselves than about me.

I'm trying to be more and more objective about people's perceptions, asking myself why they perceive things that way, and how much that has to do with me, and how much that has to do with them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'd say "I'm not going to actually do it!"

Because I do have the impulse to be vengeful, but it's against my religion and also, I am chicken. I don't want to go to jail, or get sued, or have bad karma.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I have a vengeful impulse, it used to be out in the open when I was an adolescent, but I came to a sort of epiphany about the futility of revenge when I was 15 or 16 or so, which in general was I period of time when I rapidly mature and became of the person I am now.

As such, I would be quite taken aback. I've so rarely acted in a vengeful way, and so rarely talk about enacting revenge or even discussing similar ideas like brining someone to justice, that I'd wonder how they got such an impression. It would worry me because I'd wonder if I overestimated how much this person knew me, and if I can't anticipate how they'll see my actions. It certainly implies some sort of perceptual barrier, I think.

Still, I would almost certainly be sent into a period, if a brief one, of self-analysis to see if I'm more vengeful than I had thought.

And this is probably how I'd respond to any case of being called something I think I'm clearly not.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Is it because they are wrong or because vengeance is ethically valued as "bad" by 1s who strive for things like moral purity?
    In my case, a little of both, but more of the former, because I believe, due to watching/reading so many revenge stories throughout my life, that revenge doesn't do anyone any good. When I was little, I had more of a "vengeful impulse" (as MP phrased it), but after a while, my revenge fantasies started ending with me being remorseful and alone.

I honestly believe that I'm not vengeful, but that I'd rather Solve The Problem and make sure the problem never happens again. Though more details on the other side of things can be found in the post I just made in your recently created thread.
    It's interesting because I tend to view Hilary Clinton as vengeful (in a mature, rational way) and most people type her as a 1w2 in enneagram.
    What are some examples of the bolded? I can't remember an instance of Hillary Clinton being vengeful. (Which isn't to say it hasn't happened. I'm just curious.)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

I’ve been called vengeful by someone who obligated themselves to a required action to me when I applied the required force in an attempt to make them honor their word. And what they thought mattered little to me.

I’ve been called unforgiving by many who become upset that after I forgive them for a past action, I am not willing to allow them the same freedom to replicate that action to me in the present or future. Any concern about their feelings are transferred to their action that caused my effect.

Of course I’m a 9w1 not a 1w9.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'd have not bother, people say all kinds of things and you've only got a limited control over that.

If someone's being an asshole and saying asshole things about you well there are a bunch of reasons why it sucks to be them.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 so/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    And this is why me and 1s get along.

Difference is, I don't even bother enacting revenge where it is "due" because I'm just too damn selfish. I'll do what it takes to get someone out of my way and make sure they know not to mess with me. If they're not in my way, I don't care if they "pay" for what they did, or whether they learn their lesson or not; it's their problem, not mine. 1s can be pretty awesome because they'll actually take the time to make someone pay because it's deserved; because what they did isn't right. This kind of behavior & stories tickles my pickle and appeals to my sense of justice, though. Me and my close friend growing up were a terror team, and she was a 1. We just fed off each other in this sense and had a lot of debates about right & wrong, justice, revenge, whether it's worth it or not, etc. We could laugh about this "evil" nonsense all day.
    I've met an 8 and he makes me swoon~. lol I know completely different from your story but I do see the appeal.
    LIE-Ni * SCOEI * Te/Fi * 1-7-3 The Systems Builder

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

7 with a 1 fix, so I'll answer

I would probably say "yeah, you're probably right". the 1-ish desire for divine retribution, the 7-ish desire to punish those who are obstacles to self gratification and the more generalized 8-ish tendency of "revenge against the world" are all present in my personality.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

I would say that sometimes it is true, especially when it comes to my friends I have a much shorter fuse. If you treat my friends like crap, I can turn into a vengeful, but cold-hearted, mama bear. When it comes to me, I'll get that way if someone repeatedly ignores what I tell them.

I'm not completely certain about my standing as a 1 at the moment. Tests are giving me both 1 and 8 with a dash of 9 and 5.