User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Yet another reason: a mostly unconscious fear of that anything I share of my own accord will be rejected. On the other hand, just being receptive and open to other people is an almost foolproof way to get that hit of gratification from connecting.

That's probably sp-dominance at work though, I don't know.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Yet another reason: a mostly unconscious fear of that anything I share of my own accord will be rejected. On the other hand, just being receptive and open to other people is an almost foolproof way to get that hit of gratification from connecting.

I think it's natural to want to protect ourselves from rejection, just as people in general. What's interesting is the way in which we go about it. I guess in this case, it's by withholding thoughts and/or feelings, or seeking an outlet for connection through other, safer means.

WALMART

Us nines are simply too cool.

It's the easiest type to grasp, and being one flows like water into a cup.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

They tend not to be very invested in their ideas - unlike your gut triad cousins 8s and 1s -, and also unlike the other withdrawn types - 4s and 5s.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    ENTj Ni

It might be the sp xD

I have that going for me as well, but outwardly it manifests more as me "not needing people" and being apathetic or indifferent towards them and numbing myself to everything to compensate for the lack of connection. It keeps me from getting the intimacy and connections that I really want, but it saves a lot of hurt later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."-Roger Kint, The Usual Suspects
    "You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."- Tyler Durden, Fight Club
    ENTJ, LIE-Ni, 9w8-6w5-3w2

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    Let's start a fight. People like reading internet fights, right? I tried a little. I hope it's enough to rustle your jimmies, @Biaxident . I desire to engage in a bout of fisticuffs.
    Oh god, I love 9s
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

I think you're onto something about 9's being self-effacing as well. For me, I usually pause to think whether or not something I feel is universal before posting about it ... and more often than not, I end up believing that it's pretty commonplace, and if it's not special, it's not really worth fussing over.
    And conversely, when it's something truly personal, there's no reason to believe that other people will identify with that experience, so why bother them with it?

Two other things: if it's something positive, I tend to downplay its importance, and if it's something negative, I'd rather it not be known or publicized at all, and just work privately on figuring out a solution instead.

I'm in a chatty mood tonight.
    You make me feel so narcissistic.

I just post because I want to learn, because I think something I write will give someone something to think about, because I'm feeling contentious, or because I feel like posting.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

There really isn't a lot to talk about. What was the question again?

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

I tend to assume that any questions I may have have already been answered somewhere; it's just a matter of finding them. My fear of being annoying by bringing about an already-discussed-topic is probably the biggest deterrent (this extends to any thread I might like to create--not just 9-related ones). Also, with more personal things, it's hard for me to tell if they're worth sharing, or whether I'll then regret having shared it later.

Also, laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabula View Post
    I tend to assume that any questions I may have have already been answered somewhere; it's just a matter of finding them. My fear of being annoying by bringing about an already-discussed-topic is probably the biggest deterrent (this extends to any thread I might like to create--not just 9-related ones). Also, with more personal things, it's hard for me to tell if they're worth sharing, or whether I'll then regret having shared it later.

Also, laziness.
    All of this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    You make me feel so narcissistic.

I just post because I want to learn, because I think something I write will give someone something to think about, because I'm feeling contentious, or because I feel like posting.
    I didn't mean to do that! It's strange though; qualities I find acceptable or admirable in other people (such as all the things you described) I tend to repress in myself. Because will anyone really think about it, is it worth being contentious, and do I really feel like posting? ... Oh. Probably not. Meh, maybe if I feel like it later.

When I do end up posting, I usually do so with as light a touch as possible so I don't feel too involved.