• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] 4's and drama

hazelsees

MBTI Type
INFJ
Dramatic is one of the descriptions of type 4.
Any 4s who are not dramatic? Or at least outwardly dramatic? I relate to much of the 4 description, but I'm not dramatic. In my innerworld, I am dramatic...but never show it outwardly. That would be embarrassing.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I definitely agree with this! I always over-analyze/over-dramatize things in my head because certain things are of paramount importance to me. I don't let others know about it at all though, I always play it cool. Maybe it's because we're introverts.
Are you a 4w3?
I think 4w3 tend to think of how others will react to them, which could be a reason why personally I'm not as expressive dramatically and neither is my ENFP sister. Maybe you are one as well.

S

Sniffles

Yeah I agree it could be an introvert thing. I'm not dramatic in the outward sense either, in fact I often give off a more stoic vibe. Certainly inside things can be quite dramatic and in turmoil.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being raised in a heavily emotive SF home with a tinge of Latin culture, I never saw myself as "dramatic" & have never been called that. I'm markedly cool-headed compared to many of them (my e6 mom, e7 sister & e2 grandma outdo me easily). I also don't have much interpersonal drama in my life. When I do, it shakes me a lot & I withdraw from it. I can be so withdrawn I may appear detached to others, who have accused me of not feeling, not caring, not being affected.

Outside of my family, I probably am a bit emotionally dramatic compared to some, but it's more in an intense, brooding kind of way. I'm not a showman... but it leaks out. Still, I'm not called dramatic (that I'm aware of!). I tend to downplay things to others, and I mostly channel it into creative things. I'm more open in anonymous venues like this.

Internally, I'm quite melodramatic & I laugh at myself for it, and yes, I'd be mortified if people knew the half of it.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think wing makes some difference. 4w3 is probably going to look more dramatic than 4w5. Also variant. With SX looking more dramatic than SP.

Some 4's will appear outwardly dramatic, some don't appear dramatic at all. I think when it comes to inner life, that's where the drama really is.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I usually have fantasies about breaking down in tears when it rains and I'm walking in it. The desire to sing "on my own" usually pops in too. That's as dramatic as it gets. Though, I will admit, I picture it so well that when I come out of that fantasy, I'm crying and already being dramatic. Oh me.

Daenera

Rogue heart
I think with fours the drama will always be there although it might not be outwardly expressed. To be honest I couldn't live without it. :)
This is how I explain the necessity of drama in my life:
"You must have chaos within to give birth to a dancing star." ;)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It really depends, I think I definitely over-dramatize things in my mind but I'm pretty good at keeping it to myself. a lot of people would say I'm cold and detached. but then some people get to experience all the drama, mainly my boyfriend. I hate making scenes though, I try to keep it private at least.

drama I'm not involved in is super exciting though. it's my guilty pleasure. I live eavesdropping on people's fights lol. I'm a weirdo creep tho

Burger King

I would like to be more expressive or dramatic outwardly. I have a tendency to withhold a lot. Withholding expression is one of them. I'm sure my default facial expression is that of complete disinterest. I don't smile a lot, at least when I don't have to, only when I'm in a position that needs reciprocation. I bet it looks contrived. I'm sure I alienate myself from others this way. There's internal turmoil that may occasionally seep through the cracks I suppose. My family sees this side of me... but none other. And I like to be dramatic in writing as well.

That's pretty much all I got for drama.

A

A_priori

I usually have fantasies about breaking down in tears when it rains and I'm walking in it. The desire to sing "on my own" usually pops in too. That's as dramatic as it gets. Though, I will admit, I picture it so well that when I come out of that fantasy, I'm crying and already being dramatic. Oh me.

cool

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well as for me, on the other hand, I can be pretty dramatic extrenally. Though I relate to being internally dramatic and not showing it(Im often that way), if Im angry, and lately this hasnt happened to me, but if I do explode I can be like a nuclear bomb. Noone really knows how Im gonna react, if at all, and if so, to what extent.

Asterism

MBTI Type
IxxJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Looking back, I was always very dramatic whenever anything truly upset me, but over time, I've learned to turn that inward, or channel it into something else due to the fact that my family was often very uncomfortable with genuine emotional expression. So, in the interests of being a "good child" and not being any more high maintenance than I already was, I clamped down on that trait. Now? I'm quite moody, still, and very occasionally I'll find myself in a position where I'm overwhelmed by my own emotions, and everything will come pouring out and I'll feel humiliated for weeks after, because I work very hard to be seen as much more stoic and serene than I believe I am.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I am *not* dramatic. I am totally cool. I never act dramatic. I WILL NOT REACT. :BangHead:

Roooooooaaaaaar!
How dare you accuse me of drama!
:duel:

..... Sorry, I couldn't resist =,)

I'm a 4-fixed 8 and I am laid back most of the time even if I have strong feelings that I confront in private. However, once I get going, there's no turning back. The only way to coax me out of a rage is to make me break into tears, or just wait for me to do that to myself.

Daenera

Rogue heart
Well as for me, on the other hand, I can be pretty dramatic extrenally. Though I relate to being internally dramatic and not showing it(Im often that way), if Im angry, and lately this hasnt happened to me, but if I do explode I can be like a nuclear bomb. Noone really knows how Im gonna react, if at all, and if so, to what extent.

haha I definitely relate to this, someone very close to me actually said that I was like a time bomb, I said: because you never know when I'm going to explode, and he said: no, it's not even that, I never know how the hell you're going to react lol :laugh:
I usually try not to express my negative emotions so I won't hurt anyone(if I can't do that I tend to withdraw for a while) and express only the positive ones, but sometimes people are just asking for it and when they get it they're surprised :D I imagine they're surprised because my reactions seem to come out of nowhere, which kinda reminds me of the scene in Avengers when The Hulk says that he's always angry, well that's how it sometimes feels like beneath the exterior, that there is always a feeling of sadness or melancholy,(at least when I don't express those feelings in some way) and maybe this applies to all the Etypes, there's one emotion that is always there beneath the surface like a driving force in their behavior. (well maybe two emotions, if you consider the wing)

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Dramatic is one of the descriptions of type 4.
Any 4s who are not dramatic? Or at least outwardly dramatic? I relate to much of the 4 description, but I'm not dramatic. In my innerworld, I am dramatic...but never show it outwardly. That would be embarrassing.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!"

That is what I'm doing in my head when I am in overwhelm, and if you make me extrovert while in this state, I will run circles around you while shouting lol...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I was little, I remember people bursting out laughing and calling me dramatic.

I get dramatic when I feel I'm not heard, sometimes, but I mostly avoid drama. Dismissal is painful to me when it comes from someone I love and feel connected to, and so I can overstate in a desperate attempt to reconnect.

B

brainheart

I hold in my drama or deny my drama, even from my most intimates, sometimes from myself. It does leak out in the worst of circumstances, though. Primarily my drama is internal and only comes out when I'm alone or in my art. Even then, I share it through metaphor and secret codes that only I will get.

My daughter, who is very externally dramatic, always talks about how she wishes she was more like me and didn't get upset. "Oh honey," I say to her, "if you only knew." I always think of myself as a crab hiding all of my gooey-ness within. The idea of that shell being cracked open really scares me.

The image I want to present is deep, mysterious, enigmatic, creative- not dramatic. I have a hard time with overly dramatic people. I see them and think, deal with that yourself, don't dump it on others. But at my lowest I do that, too, which makes me hate myself all the more.

I love drama in artistic expression, very much so. I guess that's because I see art as an expression of intrapersonal drama, which sustains and inspires me, while I find interpersonal drama overwhelming and emotionally taxing.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Looking back, I was always very dramatic whenever anything truly upset me, but over time, I've learned to turn that inward, or channel it into something else due to the fact that my family was often very uncomfortable with genuine emotional expression. So, in the interests of being a "good child" and not being any more high maintenance than I already was, I clamped down on that trait. Now? I'm quite moody, still, and very occasionally I'll find myself in a position where I'm overwhelmed by my own emotions, and everything will come pouring out and I'll feel humiliated for weeks after, because I work very hard to be seen as much more stoic and serene than I believe I am.

My take on the topic would just be a repeat of this post. Thanks, and stereotype-y IST parents for the win? :D

Asterism

MBTI Type
IxxJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My take on the topic would just be a repeat of this post. Thanks, and stereotype-y IST parents for the win? :D

You're welcome! I didn't get the IST parents, actually, and can't really imagine what that would have been like. More of an Fi/Fe and Enneagram-based clash in my particular case. :alttongue:

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm almost never outwardly dramatic. My inner world is extremely turbulent, but no one knows about it :blush: