User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 36

  1. #1
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default E1 Fear of Corruption, how does it manifest?

    So how does the E1 fear of becomming corrupt manifest in their behavior? What does it even mean?

  2. #2
    Member Vergil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    38

    Default

    This is a tough one. I know I have it but it took me some time to figure it out.

    This is my interpretation -
    Simply put, the 1 fears embodying anything he/she considers corrupt. It derives from having to bend to the will of the superego.
    All that the superego condemns the 1 for doing leans towards being "corrupt" as per the subjective definition of the word (meaning, the definition of corrupt may vary from person to person).

    So if we have a continuum of 'pure-corrupt', according to what I have read in Naranjo, a 1 is likely to behave more neurotically when he/she is moving closer to the corrupt end. The self-criticism rises as they move towards the corrupt end, resulting in greater efforts being directed at things/actions/activities that the 1 believes will absolve him/her of his/her misdeeds.

    The fear of corruption is therefore in anticipation of impending criticism for a less than perfect absolution, which means that the 1 will stay closer to the corrupt end for longer, having to face even more criticism.

    I don't know if that will make any sense to other people. But that's how I understand it and I can relate to it a good deal. Hope it helps.
    Statistics show that of those who contract the habit of eating, very few survive.

    ~George Bernard Shaw~


    *1w9-5w6-4w3 sx/sp* *ENTP* *ILE - selector*

  3. #3
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    lol

    I almost started to understand you then I lost it.

    So the 1's self criticize because they're trying to absolve themselves of flaws and corruption. By criticizing themselves they better themselves and become perfectionistic in everything they do?

    So the fear of corruption also creates an anticipatory response to criticism? So they may verbally attack others for being wrong before the person can even think about it and criticize the 1? In essense, the 1 strives to be the first person to be right in a situation?

  4. #4
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Actually looking back on experiences, I knew an E1 who was religious. People started talking about how christianity's views are dumb etc. She immediately started telling everyone off, saying they're an idiot etc. The room was shortly cleared and she was all that was left standing.

    Perhaps she felt like the people were going to fill her head with nonsense? That could be more 9wing stuff though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    lol

    I almost started to understand you then I lost it.

    So the 1's self criticize because they're trying to absolve themselves of flaws and corruption. By criticizing themselves they better themselves and become perfectionistic in everything they do?

    So the fear of corruption also creates an anticipatory response to criticism? So they may verbally attack others for being wrong before the person can even think about it and criticize the 1? In essense, the 1 strives to be the first person to be right in a situation?
    It's more, I think, that 1s' values are so strongly ingrained into their sense of self that when their values are threatened by either temptation or doubt, they feel as though they could easily lose touch with themselves. Some react to this threat in the way you've described, but many 1s are very mature and diplomatic people. On one end of the spectrum you have religious fundamentalists while on the other end you have people more like Gandhi. Unproductive critics hyper-dependent on dogma vs. morally grounded leaders compelled to gently correct.

    So that's what can happen when this moral vigilance is turned outward. If inward, immature/struggling 1s could also display a significant amount of neuroticism/paranoia. Constant self-checking, self-regulation.
    Last edited by decrescendo; 03-12-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: deleted ridiculous analogy

  6. #6
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,450

    Default

    I really dislike the word "corrupt" as it's used in 1 descriptions. You're right to be confused!

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    So the 1's self criticize because they're trying to absolve themselves of flaws and corruption. By criticizing themselves they better themselves and become perfectionistic in everything they do?

    So the fear of corruption also creates an anticipatory response to criticism? So they may verbally attack others for being wrong before the person can even think about it and criticize the 1? In essense, the 1 strives to be the first person to be right in a situation?
    Kind of? This might be more likely to happen with unhealthy 1s. Sure as hell doesn't happen with me; I'm too aware of my own imperfections to project them onto others, most of the time.

    I'll try to make my own explanation, regarding my own "fear of corruption", because I don't 100% relate to any posts on this thread, yet: I'm very principled, and see myself as very principled, and I live by an unwritten code. I define myself based on this, and a lot of my sense of self is rooted in my ability to follow the rules I lay out for myself. If I generally follow them, I'm an average person. If I follow them, I'm a good person. And if I slip, and don't follow them, then I'm a bad person.

    So, like decrescendo was saying, you'll see this pointed either outward or inward, with 1s. When it's outward, that's when you'll see 1s who judge people so harshly on moral grounds that it's almost extremist. Obviously I'm much more inward-focused -- so instead of obsessing about the imperfections of the world, I tend to obsess about my own imperfections.

    An inward-focused example: I tend to over-apologize when I make a mistake, or, if not, then I tend to give self-loathing-filled rants to people close to me, but you'll never hear me say "I'm so corrupt" or "I'm so defective" -- it'll be "I'm such a hypocrite" or "how did I become such a terrible person". (Which is why I dislike the type descriptions' use of "corrupt" as a descriptor for this.) So, again, there's a direct link between "good"/"bad" actions and high/low self-worth.

    Edit: This leads to a really good/simple explanation of 1 disintegration to 4. If a 1 does something they really aren't proud of, it'll go from legitimate self-criticism, to extreme self-criticism, to very 4-ish/melodramatic wallowing in their own worthlessness.

    Another edit: I forgot to address the criticism factor! Yes, 1s generally hate being criticized. The mindset, as far as I can tell, is: We're hard enough on ourselves as is, without more of the same from other people! So, a lot of times, they'll be motivated by a desire to avoid criticism. But that doesn't imply that they'll want to attack others before others can attack them.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    When I was at work yesterday I spoke to this very unpleasant man. I work by interviewing people over the telephone and while he agreed to perform and finish the interview, he was constantly rude towards me and I was thinking about this and how it related to the enneagram. For example, one of the first things he tells me is that the headset sound is bad and I'm like all right, I try to adjust the sound volume by putting the microphone closer to my mouth. Then he said that I should spit out the bubblegum I got in my mouth (I got none!) because it sounds like I'm chewing on something (to him). I think the simpler explanation is that I am having a mild cold and I had difficulty breathing through my nose yesterday with a somewhat sore throat to go with it.

    Then he keeps complaining about how I am simply performing my job poorly like I am annoying to listen to, I should stop reading, I should stop follow my work policy and protocol because it annoys him and so on. As a competency type myself all this needless criticism seemed very unproductive especially as I found most of it being unfounded and it was like he was bitching for the sake of bitching. I could however see how both a CP6 or a 1 could behave in the manner he did. Would you say this is an example of unhealthy 1 or 6 behavior? It was most definitely superego driven.

    Similarly, I was playing League of Legends the other day and I was playing with another person who kept nagging at me and others for not being good enough for them. Our reaction times were too slow, he was so good and no one could live up to his standards etc. He for example said that I should thank him for him saving me from almost dying even though it was him who got me into the situation where I almost died to begin with! Just needless constant nitpicking. Or how he complained that the rest of us were too slow for saving his sorry ass when he suicides at the enemy base. There's no way in hell we could have reacted fast enough to save him unless him warning us beforehand that he is going to perform that action which he did.

    So it was always someone else's fault when he made a mistake. Is this also a case of unhealthy 1 behavior?

    Also, how does sp 1 anxiety differ to CP 6/5 anxiety? I assume here that they can appear rather similar?

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  8. #8
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    @LeaT...

    lmao dude, don't let that shit get to you. Some people are just fucking morons.

    I'd play splinter cell coop with my INFP friend, and the whole time he'd just be bitching me out on how much I suck or how I'm going to ruin everything. Then I beat the level for him and he was like, "... oh... good job." I just tuned him out the whole time because I know I'm the best gamer in t3h w@rld.

    If I were to go freudian on you it sounds like your E5 fear of inadequacy was the only reason these retards were getting to you, but I could be totally off base there.

    E6's tend to criticize from a position of mistrust to see how you react because, from what I gather, they're looking for someone who isn't phobic the way they are, so they test and test to make sure you fit the bill. Meanwhile E1's... Idunno wtf their problem is. I can't say for certain if I know very many in my life. They just seem to take themselves too seriously for me to have much interest engaging them.

  9. #9
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    So it was always someone else's fault when he made a mistake. Is this also a case of unhealthy 1 behavior?
    I think so. I'm pretty sure that unhealthy 1s tend to suppress their own self-doubt to the point that it only arises under stress. See: Frollo, from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, aka the archetypal unhealthy 1w2.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    Also, how does sp 1 anxiety differ to CP 6/5 anxiety? I assume here that they can appear rather similar?
    Oh yeah. I actually mistyped as a 6 for a while.

    I can't answer this for sp 1s, but my anxiety is generally a fear of getting things wrong. Even when I'm afraid of the unknown, it's because I'm afraid that I won't succeed at dealing with the unknown, because I won't be prepared -- and not succeeding will mean Doing It Wrong and embarrassing myself. As I understand it, 6/5 anxiety is more of a general "survival" thing -- something that I don't relate to at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Meanwhile E1's... Idunno wtf their problem is.
    Was my post not helpful? :/
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    @LeaT...

    lmao dude, don't let that shit get to you. Some people are just fucking morons.
    Simple explanation, I don't understand why they behaved this way and I need a logical explanation why. Saying they are "morons" doesn't suffice although yes, you are right in a simple way. They are morons and probably examples of unhealthy behavior regardless of the type they are. But as a 5, I must still understand and have a logical explanation as to why the need for moron-ness XD

    I'd play splinter cell coop with my INFP friend, and the whole time he'd just be bitching me out on how much I suck or how I'm going to ruin everything. Then I beat the level for him and he was like, "... oh... good job." I just tuned him out the whole time because I know I'm the best gamer in t3h w@rld.

    If I were to go freudian on you it sounds like your E5 fear of inadequacy was the only reason these retards were getting to you, but I could be totally off base there.
    You're right, it is. It bothers me because I don't understand :/ Especially since I know that I know that they were wrong or in the example of complaining I have a poor reaction time, well jolly good you noticed, I know this too and I play with a high ms because I play from EU on US servers. Now is this still a reason to hold this against me when you're the one suiciding in their base without telling the rest of the team beforehand lol?

    E6's tend to criticize from a position of mistrust to see how you react because, from what I gather, they're looking for someone who isn't phobic the way they are, so they test and test to make sure you fit the bill. Meanwhile E1's... Idunno wtf their problem is. I can't say for certain if I know very many in my life. They just seem to take themselves too seriously for me to have much interest engaging them.
    So in the examples I provided which one of them would you consider to be a 1 or a 6 or both?

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 12-18-2014, 06:32 AM
  2. [MBTItm] STJs - How does insecurity manifest itself in you?
    By fidelia in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 02:30 PM
  3. Meeting your clone... how does it feel?
    By Martoon in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 08:39 PM
  4. [Fi] NTJs: how does Fi manifest in your type?
    By Venom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 05:08 PM
  5. Curiosity - how does it affect you.
    By TenebrousReflection in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 03:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO