Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default E4 and ghetto syndrome

"Oh yeah? Well my life sucked way more than yours ever did!"

is this a typical E4 thing?

Romanticising personal problems so they resemble a tragedy can be E4 behaviour but I would not "ghetto syndrome" is limited to E4.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Could be more typical than in other types. E4s do tend to project their idealism onto everything and therefore limit their own enjoyment of reality in favor of a "world that could or should be", so who knows, maybe they do suspect they have subjectively suffered more than other people do in some ways who seem more content with the status quo. It is not possible to judge how much other people have truly suffered, so those E4s should probably learn to keep their mouths shut.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Im prone to that when i feel unheard in someone's company, though i try very hard to curb it, as it does sound whiny and petty. Doubt we're the only ones though we might be the ones to put it *that* way. Others seem to use a more 'invalidating' approach like condemning the person for being a wuss or a whiner for daring to indicate that his life is less than stellar.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ghetto syndrome? I thought you were talking about people who elevate the aesthetic of having lived "a thug life" although they grew up in a large home near the golf course in Tarzana.

I was gonna say those are probably more like misguided 7w8 or 8w7 who think it's both exciting and tough, if I had to assign it to an E type.

You're talking more about self-pity, and yes the E4 tendency is to envy others and feel like they are different, in some kind of defective way, it becomes a part of their identity.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I know plenty of people have had harder lives than me. I might complain about people having it easier in certain areas though. why you're calling it "ghetto syndrome" I have no idea, I was expecting something else..

Quote Originally Posted by Chawie View Post
    It is not possible to judge how much other people have truly suffered, so those E4s should probably learn to keep their mouths shut.
    How terrible of them to say such a thing! They must keep their mouth shut and dare not express an accurate display of their sentiments! Especially when it can be used to guage a reaction from the other party, allowing the accuracy of their statement and beliefs to be measured in the process!

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    How terrible of them to say such a thing! They must keep their mouth shut and dare not express an accurate display of their sentiments! Especially when it can be used to guage a reaction from the other party, allowing the accuracy of their statement and beliefs to be measured in the process!
    The sufferings of the world of today are nothing compared to the sufferings of people from earlier time periods or third world countries. People who talk about how much more they've suffered comparatively to others and who would actually use that as some form of emotional currency to prove some self righteous point are living in some sort of fantasy realm in which they feel they are justified in representing another human being's own struggles in life as being less painful as their own without having complete knowledge of what it is actually like to have been that other person (typical unhealthy 4 behavior). It is a form of psychologically belittling another person due to not having a healthy love and gratefulness for their own life experience, which results in that person not being able to fully experience and enjoy the present. Any perceived "accuracy" of measurement via gauging another person's reaction to statements such as these is pure fiction, other people have no idea what other people have truly experienced, especially people with radically different personalities. Even if the enneagram 4 in question has obviously led a cripplingly painful life experience it is still useless to ruminate on past sufferings and think that they justify anything.

/just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Chawie View Post
    The sufferings of the world of today are nothing compared to the sufferings of people from earlier time periods or third world countries. People who talk about how much more they've suffered comparatively to others and who would actually use that as some form of emotional currency to prove some self righteous point are living in some sort of fantasy realm in which they feel they are justified in representing another human being's own struggles in life as being less painful as their own without having complete knowledge of what it is actually like to have been that other person (typical unhealthy 4 behavior). It is a form of psychologically belittling another person due to not having a healthy love and gratefulness for their own life experience, which results in that person not being able to fully experience and enjoy the present. Any perceived "accuracy" of measurement via gauging another person's reaction to statements such as these is pure fiction, other people have no idea what other people have truly experienced, especially people with radically different personalities. Even if the enneagram 4 in question has obviously led a cripplingly painful life experience it is still useless to ruminate on past sufferings and think that they justify anything.

/just my opinion
    This response has made me wonder whether this topic has stirred a raw nerve within you but I will come on to that later. To express a few points:

1) I said "allowing the accuracy of their statement and beliefs to be measured" NOT "allowing the accuracy of their statement and beliefs to be measured accurately"! It gives the person complaining some feedback and provides a rough guide about whether their complaints have any basis in reality.
    2) The level of misery endured by past generations has nothing to do with the situation. Saying "others have it worse" does not disprove the statement "I have had it worse than you have had it" when used in a one-on-one conversation.
    3) Psychologically belittling another is usually not the motive but a side effect act of self-preservation - avoiding the trivialisation of one's own experiences.

and

4) All this seems straight out of a psychologist's textbook, mixed with what appears to be poor understanding of the subject on your part. If I were to hazard a guess based on the way you expressed all this... I would say you taught yourself to believe this out of a sense of resignation where you determined any other viewpoint is unjust and underneath it all you don't want to believe all this. /just my opinion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

"Oh yeah? Well my life sucked way more than yours ever did!"

is this a typical E4 thing?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------