First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Newbyagain View Post
    So they are choosy about their mates? Well, thanks for letting me know that, because nothing I read online has said that, other than what I have read that a lot of them have struggled with womanizing, but maybe that is sort of the same thing. Do you think they are superficially choosy? You don't think that is an immature quality that maybe they later let go of and that is why they settle in the older years?
    Sorry, I should elaborate. When I said "mates" I meant the final mate that the 8s in my acquaintance settled down with later in life. They had plenty of relationships before that, and were far less discerning in their choice of partners for short term affairs.

I meant more that it takes someone special to get an 8 to leave the single life, but they make wonderful mates when they do decide to stay with someone.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    8s can form meaningful relationships when they get back in touch with their holy idea (innocence). if it were impossible for them to form loving relationships, their growth point would be 2.
    that said, the fact that they integrate to 2 is indicative that relationships and vulnerable affection are areas that the 8 naturally struggles with more than most types. if you are dealing with an unhealthy 8, you can kiss your chances at a close, healthy relationship goodbye cuz it ain't happening.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Just theorizing, but it seems to me that 8s definitely do have that element of putting themself first, and it does generally seem to run contrary to ability to sustain a relationship. At the same time, 1 is inflexible and critical; 2 is codependent and manipulative; 3 is competitive and image-obsessed; 4 is self-absorbed and feels victimized; 5 is detached and secretive; 6 is volatile and paranoid; 7 is escapist and novelty-obsessed; 9 is numb and complacent.

None of us seem particularly well-suited to relationships in that light!

It seems to me that self-prioritization is a primary defense mechanism for everyone (in different ways, of course), but in every case it's a reaction to perceived threat, rather than a neutral existing characteristic. In other words, your 8 sitting happily in a sunny flower field with no dangers isn't going to be shut out to forming and maintaining a happy relationship - the strong ego assertion is a protective move. The challenge for any partner is that they will sometimes either have to wait the threat out, or will need to figure out how to help the person move past the place of threat so that they can open up again.

The other thing that I have experienced happening, in particular with Self-Preservation types, is that their protective shell will expand to include you, and the protective shut down will account for you, too.

Here's the Baron and Wagele advice for better interaction with 8s:

• Stand up for yourself... and me.
    • Be confident, strong, and direct.
    • Don't gossip about me or betray my trust.
    • Be vulnerable and share your feelings. See and acknowledge my tender, vulnerable side.
    • Give me space to be alone.
    • Acknowledge the contributions I make, but don't flatter me.
    • I often speak in an assertive way. Don't automatically assume it's a personal attack.
    • When I scream, curse, and stomp around, try to remember that's just the way I am.

I have an e8 manager at work who is in a very happy relationship and the couple just celebrated their firstborn son's 1st birthday; it's definitely not out of the question. He is very me-first but after a couple years of working with him I've learned that as long as he sees that you're working with him and you're competent, he loosens up a lot. It's when he feels like things aren't under his control that he really shuts everyone out and becomes totally me-focused... it's a prioritization where safety from being harmed must come first. I actually think that he'd be fairly easy to get along with in a relationship, because he's a good-natured guy with pretty simple desires, and he does genuinely care. With him it's a matter of knowing when he's going to shut you out and why, and understanding that it's usually not about you at all. I feel like that's ultimately true for all the types.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Just theorizing, but IMO, both 8s and 3s tend to have that element of putting themself first, and it does generally seem to run contrary to ability to sustain a relationship.

It seems to me that self-prioritization is a primary defense mechanism for both the 3 and 8 (in different ways, of course), but in every case it's a reaction to perceived threat, rather than a neutral existing characteristic. In other words, your 3 or 8 sitting happily in a sunny flower field with no dangers isn't going to be shut out to forming and maintaining a happy relationship - the strong ego assertion is a protective move. The challenge for the partner of the 3 or the 8 is that they will sometimes either have to wait the threat out, or will need to figure out how to help the person move past the place of threat so that they can open up again.

The other thing that I have experienced happening, in particular with Self-Preservation types, is that their protective shell will expand to include you, and the protective shut down will account for you, too.
    Idunno wtf you just said or why it was worth quoting me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Idunno wtf you just said or why it was worth quoting me.
    And I'm not really sure why you're quoting me to tell me this.

I must have been editing my post while you quoted me, but in any case, I thought your description was a useful reflection of the "shell" exterior that 3s and 8s tend to form to protect themselves. If I misused it, apologies. It's not relevant in my edited post anymore anyway.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I ask, because it seems like every Eight (who has that as their first dominant type) I have known seems to not see the relationship as a union or "one flesh", but continuously resorts back to putting their needs entirely first, even when it is absolutely counterproductive and defeats the point of a relationship. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, I am asking because that is the only type I have or ever will be involved with and they have always turned into a disaster from very early in the relationship. Even outside of the Eight's that I have dated I don't think I have really known any males of this type who didn't behave this way. There must be something healthier. I know of a lot of Italian Christian and Catholic leaders who are Eights who seem to have it together, but don't know them personally. Maybe this is a reason why the Pope became a Priest, because he knew he wasn't good at relationships
    Eights seem to find (and I definitely am included) that the 'partner in crime' situation is best. It is best to find other ways to 'rely' on the person.. versus becoming entirely one person. It is all viewpoints and perspectives.

I am capable of caring very deeply for people, and I go to great lengths for those I care about. But I do not find myself 'becoming one' with the partner the way most people seem to want. I do not necessarily find this healthy. My sister is very much like her husband now even though she had very few traits in common with him when they started dating. To me, this sort of thing causes a lot of conflict.. since her husband's actions and persona do not reflect that of a healthy family lifestyle. It has caused a lot of tension between her family now since she must be loyal to the family she has created. While we understand, it doesn't make things easier.

I don't think having a healthy, loving relationship should be defined on how much I like what the other person likes. I once cared about these things, and I found more often than not that they were shallow and shit relationships. I care about very few things.. I don't care if my SO is a nerd, or if they've ever played final fantasy, or if they think Blink 182 is one of the best bands of their generation.. But I DO care that they are supportive of what I want to do in my life, if they are patient and loyal, and that I know I make them happy. In return, I will communicate my happiness with them, work on myself, and support their adventures 100% even if those adventures mean some time away from them here and there.

The thing is, finding another person that thinks that way... is rare. I'm a female.. most men do not want me to continue the way I currently act and behave when I get into a relationship with them. They start disliking how many male friends I have.. how loyal and dedicated I am to them. They start to want all of my attention focused on them. While this will naturally happen with time, and I will learn the quirks of the relationship to keep it steady and calm, I need to change at my own pace. Not at the pace of the relationship itself. That means I could decide "you know, I think I will start trying this since he likes it so much" when we're dating.. or years after we are married. If I change outside of that pace, I get resentful quickly and shut down and mentally doom the relationship to failure from then on out.

It does seem a bit selfish to put myself first when relationships are about compromise. It isn't to say no compromise happens ever.. but if I preserve myself and feel safe and secure, I can flourish in a relationship and provide more. Making me feel insecure and out of control is the quickest way to turn me into a shit girlfriend. It reminds me somehow of that whole "Its not what you say but how you say it" mentality. Yeah, I put myself first.. but if you just realize that and work with it, it's really not as selfish and self-centered as it seems. A kind word, and a different kind of nudge can turn the same situation into a totally different answer.

I do tend to get a bit calculated over things, I get defensive very quickly (though I chalk a lot of that up to guarding myself from past experiences), and I anger easily. But I've been in a loving and long-lasting relationship, and I'd like to think I am still capable of it now.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    And I'm not really sure why you're quoting me to tell me this.

I must have been editing my post while you quoted me, but in any case, I thought your description was a useful reflection of the "shell" exterior that 3s and 8s tend to form to protect themselves. If I misused it, apologies. It's not relevant in my edited post anymore anyway.
    hahaha... ok fair nuff. If you're just thinking out loud then I'll add, I have a shell. Its up for some people and its down for others. I usually let it down for teachers, mentors, friends and loved ones. At this point they can usually tell me anything they want and it will sink in quite deep.

There have been those who I've openned up to, who decided to screw with me and put false information into my head. It really messes me up and stirrs up my thoughts into confusion. When the person does this I immediately kick them out. Some are really good at charming their way back in. Only recently have I started to learn and recognize this trend with some manipulators. pain in the ass, it is.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Eights seem to find (and I definitely am included) that the 'partner in crime' situation is best. It is best to find other ways to 'rely' on the person.. versus becoming entirely one person. It is all viewpoints and perspectives.

I am capable of caring very deeply for people, and I go to great lengths for those I care about. But I do not find myself 'becoming one' with the partner the way most people seem to want. I do not necessarily find this healthy. My sister is very much like her husband now even though she had very few traits in common with him when they started dating. To me, this sort of thing causes a lot of conflict.. since her husband's actions and persona do not reflect that of a healthy family lifestyle. It has caused a lot of tension between her family now since she must be loyal to the family she has created. While we understand, it doesn't make things easier.

I don't think having a healthy, loving relationship should be defined on how much I like what the other person likes. I once cared about these things, and I found more often than not that they were shallow and shit relationships. I care about very few things.. I don't care if my SO is a nerd, or if they've ever played final fantasy, or if they think Blink 182 is one of the best bands of their generation.. But I DO care that they are supportive of what I want to do in my life, if they are patient and loyal, and that I know I make them happy. In return, I will communicate my happiness with them, work on myself, and support their adventures 100% even if those adventures mean some time away from them here and there.

The thing is, finding another person that thinks that way... is rare. I'm a female.. most men do not want me to continue the way I currently act and behave when I get into a relationship with them. They start disliking how many male friends I have.. how loyal and dedicated I am to them. They start to want all of my attention focused on them. While this will naturally happen with time, and I will learn the quirks of the relationship to keep it steady and calm, I need to change at my own pace. Not at the pace of the relationship itself. That means I could decide "you know, I think I will start trying this since he likes it so much" when we're dating.. or years after we are married. If I change outside of that pace, I get resentful quickly and shut down and mentally doom the relationship to failure from then on out.

It does seem a bit selfish to put myself first when relationships are about compromise. It isn't to say no compromise happens ever.. but if I preserve myself and feel safe and secure, I can flourish in a relationship and provide more. Making me feel insecure and out of control is the quickest way to turn me into a shit girlfriend. It reminds me somehow of that whole "Its not what you say but how you say it" mentality. Yeah, I put myself first.. but if you just realize that and work with it, it's really not as selfish and self-centered as it seems. A kind word, and a different kind of nudge can turn the same situation into a totally different answer.

I do tend to get a bit calculated over things, I get defensive very quickly (though I chalk a lot of that up to guarding myself from past experiences), and I anger easily. But I've been in a loving and long-lasting relationship, and I'd like to think I am still capable of it now.
    Yes!

I used to be so damn selective and say, "my perfect partner will ride motorcycles, have a black belt, do gymnastics, be beautiful, be able to fly and shoot lasers."

Now its really down to, "Will you be willing to put forth the effort to join me in my activities while I join you in yours?"

It doesn't even have to be all the time. If the girl joins me every once in a while and shows me she's making effort to give a damn, I'll tackle her with affection.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Yes!

I used to be so damn selective and say, "my perfect partner will ride motorcycles, have a black belt, do gymnastics, be beautiful, be able to fly and shoot lasers."

Now its really down to, "Will you be willing to put forth the effort to join me in my activities while I join you in yours?"

It doesn't even have to be all the time. If the girl joins me every once in a while and shows me she's making effort to give a damn, I'll tackle her with affection.
    Yes to both of you! That is the perfect answer to make me feel better. That is how I view maturity too, but I try not to jump to conclusions about people since we are all so different. I used to think I wanted someone who liked all of the things I like, but now I want someone who compliments me or helps me grow in my weak areas. Actually I probably want someone who probably isn't into all of the things I am into, because I already have that down. I want us to be polarized where we meet in the middle, but the oneness is important, although I can see people having a misconception about that. I don't think people can't just make oneness happen; it is sort of something that happens with all of the right ingredients. And I wonder if I am in you guy's boat some, that maybe I am either a little or a lot Eight. I think my INFJishness tones it down if so...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I ask, because it seems like every Eight (who has that as their first dominant type) I have known seems to not see the relationship as a union or "one flesh", but continuously resorts back to putting their needs entirely first, even when it is absolutely counterproductive and defeats the point of a relationship. I don't mean to sound pessimistic, I am asking because that is the only type I have or ever will be involved with and they have always turned into a disaster from very early in the relationship. Even outside of the Eight's that I have dated I don't think I have really known any males of this type who didn't behave this way. There must be something healthier. I know of a lot of Italian Christian and Catholic leaders who are Eights who seem to have it together, but don't know them personally. Maybe this is a reason why the Pope became a Priest, because he knew he wasn't good at relationships
    Are we capable of deep, loving unions? Naturally. You can't forget that we're 2s underneath everything else, and most of us want nothing more than someone worthy of us to lavish all that love and affection upon. I've been accused of being selfish in a relationship, but never by someone who I was truly in love with. With them I have a tendancy to be giving to a fault. If it was just a matter of being inclined to have companionship and a warm body in my bed, then the fact of the matter is that it's unlikely for me to see the person as much more. I don't get too attached or invested unless it's what's in my heart to do so. We can enjoy each other's company, but it's more like a mutually beneficial business arrangement than a pledge of undying affection.

My point is that if you've never felt that your 8s wouldn't think twice about taking a bullet for you, then they probably weren't that into you. Either that or they were pushed for more than they were ready to give and it ended up blowing up in your face.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth