• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Whats your stance to melodrama? (esp. To those with 4w3 in triad)

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i love it. And i think im most genuine to myself when i act on my impulses of feelings just the way i feel like acting. Ive noticed i become silly like when im open to my feelings like this, is that the case for anyone else? How do you think it changes you when you become melodramatic? I think im integrating at those states, cause the only other alternative is _killing_ every trace of my feelings.

Although i often feel the pressure of expectations are preventing this melodramatic honesty from myself.

And by melodrama i do not mean overdoing it like rarity in my little pony. Rather, i mean, going with the strength and autonomy a well poised jedi like peacefulness offers me. Well, i AM a jedi after all..

But yeah, at occasions i can be hurt by something but i try to turn it into pleasurous melodrama.

I dont know what to ask.. Just express any thoughts you have emerging on this subject.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I LOVE melodramatic expression in art & creativity, and even in conversation if the setting is right or my mood is unwilling to be beaten into submission. Much of the time, I am half joking - it's tongue-in-cheek but also expressing some real feeling (often PAIN). I like when someone can banter in that style or gently tease me a bit without being dismissive. It's best not to take me too seriously nor trivialize me at these times...just play the game & pretend you're in on the joke. The line between melodrama and humor is not clearly defined for me.

I don't like or seek out interpersonal drama though. My life is woefully uneventful! Really though, I dislike serious conflict with other people; I create enough inner turbulence on my own.

I also don't like mushy gushy sentimentality (which often strikes me as phony), but I can tolerate more & more with age, and am getting better with positive expression myself. I like stuff that's a bit darker, so sappy, positive expressions can make me roll my eyes, unless it's very poetic or original.

I'm probably quite contrived myself though, as a lot of my melodramatic expressions are rather vague and probably unconsciously thrown out to make me seem more interesting than I really am.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think I do not like melodrama. Strong displays of emotion generally make me uncomfortable. I prefer not to show most of my emotions because it feels about as tasteful as wearing my underwear on the outside of my clothes. I get worn out by interpersonal conflict, especially when it is prolonged. I am driven to find a way to resolve it so things can be peaceful again.

G

garbage

Use emotions as an impetus to brainstorm, ruminate, etc.? Sure. Revel in them? Not my thing.

I don't see the point in experiencing melodrama or creating inward/outward drama, and I'm wired to do things only when I see the point in them.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I'm ok with being around someone who just needs to have an emotional 'moment' and needs to release it, whether it's frustration, sadness, happiness, or so on. Although the really negative emotions can cause ME quite a bit of anxiety. I don't know if it's because I internalize them, or because I am not sure what to do (wanting to solve/help but knowing I can't really say anything, in most situations like this), or because I'm simply not equipped to not have an internal 'wham' whenever it happens, since I grew up in a non-emotionally-expressive, everyone-generally-isolated, wholly introverted and more hands-off family. I think intense frustration/anger at self/self-bashing projected outwardly is what most trips me up. I just listen, because I don't know that there's much else I can do.

I think as I grow older I more readily express my feelings and thoughts, though. Maybe it's because I've been working over the years on moving away from how I was raised/conditioned, and trying to just let things out more. So in that sense I may be perceived by some irl as a bit highstrung or such or dramatic (this is all so relative). I'm not sure. So yeah, I sometimes need to vent things out; I'm not really sure how this comes across to others when it happens. I don't think I'm 'loud' when I do it, but I think there's an intensity to it in certain contexts. It's very probable it can ilicit the same 'wham' reaction to some others that I get when I'm on the receiving end. It's not a steady stream of it, though... it comes in bursts with me. I'm much more careful in expressions of negative and much more likely to automatically express the positive emotions. Also, I don't have a poker face, at all, and if I need to say something, I'll say it, whether it causes intense temporary discomfort or not (also a newer thing). When I KNOW what I'm feeling, I will express it (when I'm super excited/happy, I can bounce around, literally, enough that I broke my toe once when I was running around and kicked a doorframe. Also, I have quite a grin that lights up my entire face), and the closer I am to someone, the more they will experience this. But the vast majority of people won't see nearly as much/I won't show any of this, and I will appear more non-plussed and extremely contained.

I don't care for any prolonged melodrama /drama between one or more people, though, and think I have a pretty low tolerance for situations or mindframes that end up being really extended, assuming the person keeps projecting the same things out externally and I have to listen to the same things for months on end, without any visible change or progress. I totally understand though that some things take a while to internally resolve.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am hugely melodramatic, but I try to keep it on the inside. I consider it unkind to unleash that stuff. I live it vicariously through art.

Within

Permabanned
'Fi overload that keeps you from making yourself understood.'

Fi as in failure, I'm not a fan of that side of myself.
It's comforting to know that it's there though.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would consider myself fairly significantly melodramatic. Frequently I keep it bottled up, usually out of fear, but when I feel confident I just let loose. I'm known to flip out fairly easily when I'm angry.

I also often have a fair bit of fun with my bent for dramatics -- I can be overly theatrical in normal conversation from time to time. :D

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like watching drama, but not being part of it.

It's tiring and it messes up my sense of control.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like watching drama, but not being part of it.
It's tiring and it messes up my sense of control.

this is a very 3w4 answer. I've noticed 3w4s (and, to an extent, 3w4 fixers) tend to like "controlled melodrama". they enjoy indulging their more intense, emotionally volatile side, but only if they can do so while maintaining control and competence. they can do so through various methods such as
- observing
- performing
- artistic pursuits
- reading
or
- listening to more intense music

as for being in the heat of things....it's usually a position they'd rather avoid

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this is a very 3w4 answer. I've noticed 3w4s (and, to an extent, 3w4 fixers) tend to like "controlled melodrama". they enjoy indulging their more intense, emotionally volatile side, but only if they can do so while maintaining control and competence. they can do so through various methods such as
- observing
- performing
- artistic pursuits
- reading
or

as for being in the heat of things....it's usually a position they'd rather avoid
Surprisingly enough (considering the source) this actually seems correct.

But it doesn't seem to have much to do with what Vetani actually meant.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

what source? lol

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love being near drama but uninvolved. fictional, friends complaining to me, some strangers yelling at each other in the street, whatever. as far as myself, I have my dramatic moments but I typically keep it to myself and try to avoid making scenes. or like orangeappled said, I use it to be humorous sometimes by exaggerating a small problem.

I think a lot if why I restrain my dramatic instincts is that it feels do cliche, like its all been in a movie or I've seen a thousand other girls say the same thing.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
- observing
- performing
- artistic pursuits
- reading
or

:D

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think he pretty much said what I usually do when it comes to melodrama... though I don't usually go out of my way to create drama. Someone else has to bring out the drama drag queen in me, or I have to be really tired/drunk.

As for listening to intense music.... no. I find that I listen to dark and cold dance music because it puts me in a calm and controlled trance. I regain my composure when I listen to the whole Madonna's Erotica album (hell hath no fury like a gay man scorned) and Silent Shout from The Knife (seething bass synths layered below a barrage of bleeps, akin to a volley of flying daggers).

Cold fury maybe?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I have no problem with as long as it doesn't directly involve me, or someone I love.

"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me." :alttongue:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Define melodrama.