User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

@fidelia I feel similar. I get angry at myself when I try to wallow around in sadness too long. It is difficult for me to feel sad for an extended period of time (and I find that time to be something in the way of weeks+) and I definitely prefer to be angry over being sad.. I can handle anger from others, it is.. a bit more uncertain to handle sadness. It's hard to BE angry at someone who is sad.. so if I am in a state of anger, I cannot even express that anger properly and then I feel like I am walking on eggshells--a resentful tone.

It's very instinctual.. my anger has taken quite a heap of time to control and manage. Putting logic to something that instinctive isn't an easy task. Identifying the core of why I am angry and the cause of it isn't always easy in the moment. Much like my father, I frequently have to take a moment and then somehow squeeze in an explanation for the anger with my apology if I feel it is warranted. I do get easily bothered by stuff.. Not so much situations and strangers.. but when it comes to people I know and care about, they're in my heart, and that gives them a bit of power over my emotions in turn. It is how I truly know and show that I care about that person (the fact that I am attached to them enough to have them cause anger in me instead of mere annoyances and irritations).. but it also causes that quick temper that is stereotypically attributed to my hair color.

When it comes to major disagreements with 1's.. I find the stubbornness can be refreshing. I've had a few truly good conversations where neither of us budged on the issue, but I enjoyed us butting heads on it. 1s just don't seem to have their feelings hurt so easily, so it feels good to put on the boxing gloves.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kayness View Post
    I imagine both types to be very strong willed and vocal about what they believe in. I imagine a lot of relentlessness in both parties which leads to some sort of a stalemate.
    This has actually not been the case for me.

I'm friends with some 8w9s (mostly ENTJs), so I do have some experience with this, although I don't know how much of this is Enneagram and how much of it is MBTI. But from my experience, we tend to have a very intuitive understanding of one another. We get to talking, we listen very well to one another, we have very enlightening intellectual discussions -- and we don't generally compete. I think the reason for this has to do with the intuitive understanding; the 1 knows that the 8 will want to debate and therefore decides to discuss topics in the abstract or avoid problem topics altogether, or do what @kyuuei said and just butt heads a little bit without getting offended -- and the 8 will understand the 1 very well in this regard and will happily go along with it.

Again, this might be from being a T and talking to T Eights -- which is why my answer is so different from @fidelia 's -- but part of my intuitive understanding of Eights has to do with the fact that I get my drive from anger in a very similar way. The way I experience being a One is like being a trapped Eight, sometimes, depending on the situation.

However, in a perfect world, I'd date/be in a relationship with someone who is not quite so similar to me in that regard. I'd rather be with someone who balances me out, instead of someone with similar flaws.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

No relevant personal experience of 1-8 interactions comes to mind immediately. However, if we're going the rock-paper-scissors route, 8s are the rocks, and 1s are the scissors. (9s would be flimsy, flighty paper for sure, haha.)

This is not to say that 8s are bound to smash the 1s to smithereens; just that 8s are more likely to apply brute force whereas 1s are more likely to apply surgical precision. Those opposing approaches may very well be grating, but more optimistically, they compensate for each other's deficiencies.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    No relevant personal experience of 1-8 interactions comes to mind immediately. However, if we're going the rock-paper-scissors route, 8s are the rocks, and 1s are the scissors. (9s would be flimsy, flighty paper for sure, haha.)

Which is not to say that 8s are bound to smash the ones to smithereens; just that 8s are more likely to apply brute force whereas 1s are more likely to apply surgical precision. Those opposing approaches may very well be grating, but more optimistically, they compensate for each other's deficiencies.
    I am so impressed by the accuracy of this metaphor. I completely relate to it, and it resonates with my real-life experience with Nines and Eights as well.

+1 !!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

One of my best friends is 8w9.

The similarities are astounding. And, she understands what I feel much better than most others and I guess vice versa would also be true.

Anecdotes seem too long to type out though, sorry. :P

But, if it ever happens that I do type something out, I will let you know. :P
    Statistics show that of those who contract the habit of eating, very few survive.

~George Bernard Shaw~

*1w9-5w6-4w3 sx/sp* *ENTP* *ILE - selector*

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Even though I'm not a core 8, I do experience a strong connection to 8 and speaking for myself personally with most likely 8w7 for gut fix, I tend to butt heads a lot with 1s, especially 1w9s of the more unhealthy kind, even moreso if they also got 4 and/or CP6 tendencies. I have a very hard time seeing where they are coming from for most of the part.

With that said, I think I've been unlucky and probably engaged too many unhealthy types which has colored my perception of 1s too negatively. I do however have a great tendency to smell 1s or those 1-fixed out, part because of our cognitive dissonances.

I think I was close to engaging a romantic relationship with a 1w9 so/sx though, until he got cold feet and decided I wasn't good enough for him. Of course, so typical that he'd pull out the more flaws and insecurities I'd reveal.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Default When an 8 and 1 are best friends...

Quote Originally Posted by Vergil View Post
    One of my best friends is 8w9.

The similarities are astounding. And, she understands what I feel much better than most others and I guess vice versa would also be true.

Anecdotes seem too long to type out though, sorry. :P

But, if it ever happens that I do type something out, I will let you know. :P