• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] 6s - Primary Vulnerability - Being Betrayed and Caught Off Guard

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is said that 6s primary area of vulnerability is, "being betrayed and caught offguard."(From "Nine Lenses of the World"). Fellow 6s, do you think this is true? Has it happened to you?

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I react poorly when I feel I'm betrayed. I become very defensive, even with those who have done nothing to me. I think it has to do with the loyalty 6s are known for, and I just cannot fathom doing some of the shit people do to betray others' trust. I also feel.... a person that was close to me did this, now what makes me think some random person out on the street won't.

The worst betrayal I experienced made me physically ill, I lost about 20 pounds, my digestive system was screwed up, and I suffered severe insomnia. I was very caught off guard though I had a suspicion that I was being betrayed. When I found out about it, I was a new mother with twin infants. It sort of pushed me over the edge. It was one of the less pleasant experiences in my life.

So I can relate most definitely.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
It's one of the only things that really feels world-changingly dramatic to me. That is, when I have been betrayed, I was so shaken that it changed certain aspects of my worldview permanently.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I take one of my shoes off and throw it at their head.

If they aren't present at that moment in time I keep myself at that emotional level and hop around on one shoe until I meet them again.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe.. I don't know. I wonder if I'm jaded enough that I don't feel like I give anybody the opportunity to betray me. Now, that doesn't sound very healthy, does it?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I agree, more or less. It would probably also be true to say that I haven't suffered massive betrayals. Minor ones (in the grand scheme), yeah. But they felt big. Sometimes it is partly my fault. I may have given someone more trust or power over me than they were aware I was giving them - so to speak.

The concept of betrayal basically makes me sick though. I have a hard enough time with the minor forms, that I wonder if I'd survive a spouse's betrayal or something like that. And I mean "survive" in every sense of the word.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I've ever been betrayed. I have a fuzzy idea of what betrayal would even look like, actually - I don't really expect much from anyone and none of my friends would do anything malicious to me. How have you guys been betrayed?

Being caught off-guard, yes. I don't like not knowing what to expect.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Betrayal is foreign to me, too.

I don't like surprises, unless it was actually worth being a surprise.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I've ever been betrayed. I have a fuzzy idea of what betrayal would even look like, actually - I don't really expect much from anyone and none of my friends would do anything malicious to me. How have you guys been betrayed?

Being caught off-guard, yes. I don't like not knowing what to expect.

I'd call lying a kind of betrayal, at least? People who you trust deceiving you?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd call lying a kind of betrayal, at least? People who you trust deceiving you?

Hmm....I don't know that I've ever caught someone in a lie about anything meaningful. White lies, maybe, but I don't count any lie I'd make myself. The closest to that I've seen is people promising to do something or show up and then flaking, but I wouldn't really call that betrayal.

Maybe I'm just really oblivious and/or lucky with my friends. or forgetful when it happens. I also have pretty low expectations for other people, so maybe that's part of it. :shrug:

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure about it being my "primary vulnerability", but it sure is one of my greatest fears...

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Doesn't that mean the same thing?

Not in my mind. How I see it, being a primary vulnerability would mean it's something likely to happen. I'm excessively paranoid about it happening, so it's unlikely, but it dominates my thoughts anyways... That's just my interpretation... If it said "primary fear" I would agree, for myself, of course.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Not in my mind. How I see it, being a primary vulnerability would mean it's something likely to happen. I'm excessively paranoid about it happening, so it's unlikely, but it dominates my thoughts anyways... That's just my interpretation... If it said "primary fear" I would agree, for myself, of course.

Ah, I see. Definitional problem.

I was thinking more along the lines of "X is my one vulnerability, because if X happens it will have a greater impact on me than if anything else happened." You were thinking something like, "if I do X, it will make me more vulnerable to Y." One refers to severity of impact while the other refers to probability of occurrence.

IMO, I don't think the quote in the OP meant that 6s make themselves more vulnerable to betrayal. More like, betrayal affects 6s more greatly than other types.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IMO, I don't think the quote in the OP meant that 6s make themselves more vulnerable to betrayal. More like, betrayal affects 6s more greatly than other types.

Ah, yes. I can see it that way as well, and under that interpretation I would agree.

W

WALMART

I feel I form very strong bonds with just about anybody I come across.

Yeah, it'd probably hurt pretty bad.

Although I must admit, I don't believe I've ever been betrayed.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is said that 6s primary area of vulnerability is, "being betrayed and caught offguard."(From "Nine Lenses of the World"). Fellow 6s, do you think this is true? Has it happened to you?

Yes. And yes. I hate the idea of betrayal more than just about anything else. That's why I'm very cautious about trusting anything. Being caught off-guard is something that I don't like either, but I don't feel quite as strongly about it.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ya, being betrayed is definately up there. Primary vulnerability? Close to it. I'd say that for me, and I don't really know if its e6 related or not, but being without a close support network is probably one of the scariest things I can imagine. Not like I can't be alone for extended periods of time.. I really enjoy my reading and cooking and music and hobbying.. but I have to have close people in my life to share things with. If I even go 1 day without being able to call up someone and blather on about random stuff I feel a bit disconnected. So i'd say it goes support group then betrayal then being caught off-guard. The last one depends on the situation, too. I like to have a general idea of how most things are going to go, and I really despise "pop-ins" from anyone thats not immediate circle.

I've been betrayed by both a friend (not such a good friend anymore) and a partner. Both times I was completely flabbergasted and extremely hurt. I typically deal with this by cutting my interaction off. I might fantasize about some things I could pull over them to seek vengeance, but I can never actually follow through with that kind of stuff. It honestly makes me feel sick, like spiritually sick, to consider moving the idea into action. This stems from a few things. First, I am already anxious and worrying about how someone else might retaliate (especially someone who knows me well as they might have some strong ammo) and 2nd, as a 6 I already have enough doubts in my charactor and past, I really don't like adding things to that list.

Anyhow, I think betrayal hurts the 6 so much because we already have a hard time trusting.. ourselves and others. When someone very close does this it is not only a let down, it causes us to question our own judgement in the future.. Atleast I tend to be this way.. too hard on myself for not catching that someone was capeable of doing X (even if no one else saw it coming either.)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Anyhow, I think betrayal hurts the 6 so much because we already have a hard time trusting.. ourselves and others. When someone very close does this it is not only a let down, it causes us to question our own judgement in the future.. Atleast I tend to be this way.. too hard on myself for not catching that someone was capeable of doing X (even if no one else saw it coming either.)

That is exactly it.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This reminds me of Dante's placement of Brutus, Judas Iscariot, and Cassius in the 9th circle of hell.

lusifer_291204_stor.jpg